Trader Joe's, 16 Area Locations

7 minutes ago, Torshi said:

TJ's is the highlight of my week!  It is super convenient for me and no professional shoppers- Tenley WF is like a battle ground.  I have otherwise been trying to keep my shopping to smaller local people.  

Garlic sauce is great, so is the Zough and the herbed tahini sauce- all in that packed super zone of refrigerated sauces.  

I know it is not tomato season and they are not perfection, but there are these Sunset Teeny Tiny Tomatoes that can really hit the spot.  At least it is a healthy snack.

My naughty snack it the Spicy Chakri Mix.  It actually has curry leaf bits in it.  I also love the gluten free crisp bread (tucked in-between the chips), the big ones not the little ones that they put some off tasting onion powder in.

Happy safe shopping.  

TJ's is too convenient for me. Its a block away. My fridge is jammed with sauces and condiments. My newest favorite is the Sofrito seasoning in the spice aisle. Its great on omelets and vegetables. For tomatoes, I always choose the brown Kumatoes. If you haven't tried them, they are very good and consistent. I find their soups always disappointing. Refrigerated main courses are inconsistent. Surprisingly, their dog food is good. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Slater said:

TJ's is too convenient for me. Its a block away. My fridge is jammed with sauces and condiments. My newest favorite is the Sofrito seasoning in the spice aisle. Its great on omelets and vegetables. For tomatoes, I always choose the brown Kumatoes. If you haven't tried them, they are very good and consistent. I find their soups always disappointing. Refrigerated main courses are inconsistent. Surprisingly, their dog food is good. 

TJ's prepped food can have a super heavy hand with salt.  Yeah, TJ's is a super condiment enabler!  But that store, during this COVID mess, has been a Mecca.  My friend said she liked the frozen kibbeh.  Of course there is better, but who knows?

Despite my visit with a 5:45am raccoon in my trash bin, made it to TJ's before 9 in mental okay state- those little eyes staring at me gave me a shock.  At TJ's there are some strong fans of Dorthy's smoked soft rind cheese.  I liked it, dog did not.  It was different.  I like Delice and something more messy.  But let's try new things these days.   The almond butter chia overnight oats was a win with doggie and me, at 340 calories a serving gotta watch it.  The country roses were pretty for those of you in the market!  In the Georgetown, they were tucked back into the upper aisle.  7.99 a bunch. 

On 2/8/2021 at 8:02 AM, Torshi said:

TJ's prepped food can have a super heavy hand with salt.  Yeah, TJ's is a super condiment enabler!  But that store, during this COVID mess, has been a Mecca.  My friend said she liked the frozen kibbeh.  Of course there is better, but who knows?

I tried TJ's frozen wonton soup when it was first introduced. I liked the flavor and wontons until I looked at back label: 1650mg Sodium!

Glad you took a look.  I would get extreme headaches, so I went into research.  Nothing against TJ's, just it is a good idea to look into the packaging.  I get lots of great things (COVID eating!) from there.  Sometimes you can mix a lower sodium thing to thin out the original version.  We are all kind of stuck, so I hope you can find a way you can enjoy your soup.

• Like 1

I make a version of wonton soup by using Trader Joe’s mini cilantro chicken wontons, which are delicious and have 150 g of sodium for four dumplings. So, about 38 g of sodium each if you were going to eat more than four, which I do. 
I simmer garlic and ginger in low sodium chicken stock, with a splash of low sodium soy sauce, hot chili oil, and five spice powder. Then I throw in giant handfuls of bok choy. You could use other greens if that is what you have. 
Then, add the frozen dumplings and cook them until they are heated through. This makes a pretty satisfying wonton soup for a lot less sodium and not much more work than the fully prepared version. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dcandohio said:

I make a version of wonton soup by using Trader Joe’s mini cilantro chicken wontons, which are delicious and have 150 g of sodium for four dumplings. So, about 38 g of sodium each if you were going to eat more than four, which I do. 
I simmer garlic and ginger in low sodium chicken stock, with a splash of low sodium soy sauce, hot chili oil, and five spice powder. Then I throw in giant handfuls of bok choy. You could use other greens if that is what you have. 
Then, add the frozen dumplings and cook them until they are heated through. This makes a pretty satisfying wonton soup for a lot less sodium and not much more work than the fully prepared version. 

That sounds so good.  Love it all.  Happy eating.

Okay, not in season yet.  But please do not bum rush my supply.  Cherries and Apricots are at the Georgetown location.  After this almost no travel (we are really careful and people are crazy) I was just happy to see these items.  For those in town there is this thing called The Peach Truck coming up in June.  You have to reserve- I keep getting FB notices.  Back to TJ's, I have been trying the tiny cucumbers to dip in hummus type spreads.  Fruit and veggies after this crazy winter look great!