Boston and Cambridge, MA

Only time for a quick post, but a few weeks ago we did make it to Craigie on Main and it lived up to our expectations. We even brought our little guy with us and the staff was extremely accomodating. They tucked us in the corner of the bar and we were quite happy, but I don't recommend our cavalier parenting to others unless you, too, grab a 5:30 reservation and you don't mind wiping up smuggled squash-sweet potato puree off the dark-stained wood floors. Food highlights were an octopus salad (I could probably eat the every day), a sour-milk panacotta (I don't like panacotta but I loved this), and a pork three ways with several layers of flavor per rendition (and a huge profit margin for a single rib, a decent size piece of pork belly and a fairly small piece of suckling pick for $36). The only "ok" item were my oysters with lemon mignionette foam. If we had the luck to get back to this place, I'd definitely try to reserve 2 seats (yes, leaving our little boy home) at the marbled bar that is smack-dab in front of the kitchen. I can't think of a restaurant seat that would let you see more action so close without locking you into to a crazy expensive tasting menu (which this place also has by the way). Hopefully by the time of our return visit I also be able to talk my wife into sharing the roasted pig's head. It looked fantastic! They were also serving pig's tails as an app for the swine inclined.

Another quick note: On our previous trip in June, I forgot to mention that we had lunch at Coppa, which is a fairly new and supposedly up-and-coming small Italian eatery in the South End by noted chef Ken Oringer but executed by Jamie Bissonette. Boston Magazine awarded their pizza Best of Boston a month or so later. We had the pizza and liked it quite a bit. Excellent flavors but our crust wasn't as crisp or charred as many on this board would like, but I did notice more char and blistering on other diners' pies. A benefit for those who go now is the addition of air conditioning, which was coming 4 days after our 97 degree adventure. The only thing I remember getting that I wouldn't recommend was the roasted and marinated peppers and goat cheese app. Not bad, just very ho-hum.

Pax,

Brian

Wedding number 7 of the year for Hubby and I to attend was this past weekend in Boston. As a short note it is really hard to try to stay gluten free in Boston, there are so many good Italian joints with bread and pasta that just smells so good. I did my best.

We landed and headed over to Cambridge to our hotel the Royal Sonesta. Which was ok, but not as nice as it purports itself to be. At least it has a spa and pool. Our room wasn't ready yet so we headed over to the mall across the street for me to grab a few things I needed for the wedding. Then we went to Techniques, a restaurant in the Cordon Blue for their students. It was fun to watch students get instruction and cook in the huge open kitchens. Hubby and I had lobster on a cornmeal johnny cake to start. It was really good, I liked the braised leeks and beurre blanc sauce. I then had cioppino which had really fresh seafood, a little spicy and really tasty rich tomato sauce with maybe a little cream, but not much. I wanted to get dessert but Hubby had to hop on a conference call.

Rehearsal dinner was at Sunset Grill, which for beer lovers, must be a real treat, the food was bar food, order accordingly nachos, etc, but the beer list was huge, the draft list was huge, and unlike places in our area they weren't out of half that huge list.

Wedding was at the Liberty Hotel and I had a catered lunch spread there. They really did it nicely for us bridesmaids, we had all sorts of high end sandwich fixings, spread and toppings, salads and toppings, dessert, chips, drinks of all sorts. The bread for the sandwiches looked divine, not your normal plain jane bread. Hubby went to Al Dente in the North End to pig out on pasta without me and really loved it. He didn't say too much, except it was really good. The Liberty Hotel was beautiful, and man it is a happening place after hours, you would have thought it was a club.

Sunday we strolled around Boston. I got some clam chowder at the Market, which was good, but nothing special, normal clam chowder, but very fresh big clams in it. But good on a cold day. Then we went to Maria's Pastry Shop and I had coffee and ate a couple bites of the pastry Matt ordered. It was like a sweet, doughy cream puff with some cream in the middle drenched in vanilla amaretto liquer. It was worth it for me.

We then went to Neptune's Oyster which was a great choice. I had a lobster roll sans bun, so lobster salad in a bowl with fries, and some fresh oysters. Everything here was superb. I really loved this place. The flavors and quality of ingredients was exceptional. The oysters were so fresh and briny. And they had a great raw bar selection.

Wish I could have eaten more. Next time.

Had a spectacular and stimulating meal at Journeyman in Union Square, Somerville. Bright, vegetable-centric (though

not vegetarian), and never heavy (even the shaved mi-cuit foie had a brightness to it).

And, Don, check out this list of wine pairings:

Berkshire White Whiskey and vermouth cocktail

Sutton Cellars vermouth

Peillot Montagnieu Altesse 2008

Bordelet Poire Authentique

Cotat Chavignol rose 2009

Coenobium 2008

Two different "Milk Punches" (an old technique, wherein milk is added to a punch, then the curdles are strained out, leaving just a richer mouthfeel)

Occhipinti Nero d'Avola "Siccagno" 2007

some sparkling Beaujolais I can't remember with dessert.

All three Vergano chinati afterward.

Not cheap. But a stunning meal with beautiful wines and other beverages.

Full report.

Le's: Replaced the Harvard Pho Pasteur. Decent pho, lacks some depth. Quick.

Hungry Mother: Small bar area, good drinks program, well executed. Everyone I know says the food is awesome.

Journeyman: See above. Go.

Momogoose: The new incarnation of the famous MIT Goosebeary's truck. I think I liked this more when I was a student.

Eastern Standard: Great drinks, excellent tartare. Unmanageably crowded right up to closing time. Go at 3PM.

Drink: Spacious, early in the evening, and the bartenders make good drinks. But not displaying bottles is too precious by half. The first thing I asked after was not stocked. That said, Scott Marshall's drink of Cocchi Americano, Banks rum, and Drambuie is one of the best drinks I've tried all year.

Tu y Yo: Neighborhood Oaxacan near Davis Square. Delish.

Island Creek Oyster Bar: Didn't get a chance to slurp, but got waaaay more than I bargained for when I asked for a Cynar drink. Equal parts Rittenhouse 100, Yellow Chartreuse, and Cynar, celery bitters, mezcal rinse. Yummm.

Daily Catch: North end seafood pasta. Except it's really good. Still.

Miracle of Science: Still as welcoming and gently nerdy as ever.

Barismo coffee, Arlington: Excellent roaster, precise brewer. And it smells so beautifully SWEET in there.

Toscanini's: Need I bother attempting lyricality? No. Go.

Craigie on Main: Carrie's Birdbath cocktail is another excellent Cocchi-based drink. The burger is divine in the "thick-aged-cooked rare" style. But I was blown away by another equal-parts drink from Carrie Cole. Rabarbero Zucca, Boroli Barolo Chinato, Dolin dry vermouth. Yum.

Green Street: Ask for the "big" drink list, and you get a most excellent compendium of obscure classics. Well executed even when rammed, and gently priced. Good wines, too.

Hei La Moon: Very well-executed dim sum, and crowded enough at 10am on a Sunday to get plenty of choices.

Neptune Oyster: Had Mashpee oysters for the first time here. Yum.

Cambridge Common: Good beers, gentle pricing.

Had to take a 4-day trip to Boston that prompted me to look for--and find--the 'beyond DC' section to dr.com. A few brief reactions to spots visited in case helpful for others headed that way:

Blue Ginger (Ming Tsai) in Wellesley :) : probably one of the most disappointing "heralded" places I've visited in years. The "signature" dish, a "butterfish" was small, overcooked and paired with a complicated noodle maki that represented much of what we had. It was much more about enticing menu description than it was about food quality, cooking skill or taste. Ming wasn't there. Maybe he's not often there; not sure. But we didn't have an item that came even close to feeling like a fair trade for the price. Service was indifferent.

Clear Flour Bread in Allston :lol: : one of the best bakeries in the United States. Baguettes every bit the equal of those in Paris. Incredibly flaky and rich gruyere croissants. Memorably sweet, luscious and distinctive "morning buns." Oh, how I wished the DC market had something like this. We don't. This and Neptune are my two "must try"s from this trip.

Neptune Oyster in North End :lol: . I've always felt the Boston irony of not being a great seafood town. That changes with Neptune. Simple menu with laser like focus on quality and simplicity in preparation. May be the best friend clams I've ever had. The warm lobster roll had me comparing to those I've had in Maine and even Kinkeads and the lobster truck in DC. Neptune wins hands down. Better selection and education around oysters than I've seen in a long time (though, nitpicking one thing, their take on a mignonette is weird and doesn't work well with the otherwise delicious and properly served oysters). Wish DC had a spot like this too. Though I enjoy places like Kinkeads, Blacksalt or even the lobster truck, Neptune is a level higher than all of them.

Giacomos in North End :) . Over-rated. Yes, they make most (all?) of their pasta in house but that alone doesn't great pasta make. Theirs is heavy with sauces light on the featured protein. Fundamentally ordinary calimari. No real reason to go here.

Craigie-on-Main :lol: . Really enjoyed brunch here. They seem to have a big following for their made-to-order donuts. They were very good but, for my money, Tabard Inn in DC is better. A haddock "hash" with brussel sprouts was great. Another "hash" with beef cheeks was just okay--overly sweet sauce that weighed the dish down some. Will be sure to try CoM for dinner when next in town. Love Tony Maw's philosophy on ingredient sourcing and menu design. Any chef that refuses to serve tomatoes out of season gets my attention quickly.

Two very good meals in Cambridge last weekend. First was Rendezvous in Central Square. The dining room felt cozy and smelled like some really delicious food was being cooked up in the kitchen. I had six plump, fresh raw oysters that our calm and attentive server said came from Maine, served with a champagne mignonette and cucumber ice (shaved, light green cucumbery ice flakes in a little bowl). They were good. The roasted chicken I had for dinner was terrific, with a crispy skin and tender, juicy breast taken off the bone, with the wing attached. Chicken thigh also on the plate but no drumstick. It was served with sliced artichokes and potato slices in a brothy pool. Small but focused beer list - I had two Victory Pils. Dessert was probably the best part: a pear crostada with caramel-almond ice cream tasted just as good as it sounds, and they made a tasty and strong Irish coffee with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.

The next night was Ole Mexican Grill. We stuffed our faces and everything ranged from good (chicken taquitos) to very good (ahi tuna ceviche) to outstanding (roasted half duck with poblano mole). Tableside guacamole and salsa prepared in molcajete's were delicious. The place was packed (it was a Saturday night) but service did not lag. Ole has a fun, convivial feel and it looked like everyone was having a great time. I know we were.

Craigie-on-Main :) . Really enjoyed brunch here. They seem to have a big following for their made-to-order donuts. They were very good but, for my money, Tabard Inn in DC is better. A haddock "hash" with brussel sprouts was great. Another "hash" with beef cheeks was just okay--overly sweet sauce that weighed the dish down some. Will be sure to try CoM for dinner when next in town. Love Tony Maw's philosophy on ingredient sourcing and menu design. Any chef that refuses to serve tomatoes out of season gets my attention quickly.

The beef cheek/tongue hash at Craigie on Main was actually my favorite dish from our trip last month! It matched quite well with the fried onions and poached egg IMO. I also liked the burger at Radius though it probably wasn't any better than Ray's. The house-made ginger beer at Russell House Tavern in Cambridge was perhaps the best non-alcoholic beverage I've had in years. Similarly, the cupcake with chocolate icing at Flour surpassed anything we've had in DC (though the key-lime at Georgetown and the orange creamsicle at Bakeshop come close).

On the downside, grapefruit ice cream from Toscanini's was probably not the best flavor choice. Two huge cannoli (one from Modern, the other from Mike's) after we split the Triton platter at Neptune Oyster was also not a great idea. The oysters, clam, crab, and lobster at Neptune certainly seemed enjoyable and tasted fresh, but I still don't have the palate to discern the difference between "good" and "great" seafood/sushi. If anyone has any insights on this, I'd love to hear them.

I've been to Craigie when it was Craigie Street Bistrot (before it moved), and also peeked into the "new" (to me) place this last trip, when I was staying around the corner. Tony Maws turns out mind-blowingly good food, but he has yet to settle into a space that, I think, is totally right for him.

Still, I will absolutely go back next time ... just I'll also go back to Hungry Mother, too. And possibly get over to Boston again this time, and hit the old faves on the other side of the river. B)

Now after having been to Craigie on Main and Hungry Mother, I can now confidently call the winner....me. Like Craigie on Main, Hungry Mother was fantastic. As we walked out the front door, my wife said, "I rarely leave a restaurant thinking I got more than I paid for." For $96 before tip, we enjoyed fried Chesapeake oysters ($14--very rich, very flavorful with remoulade on Texas toast; decent item to share), beef tongue ($5--my hesitant wife correctly said it tasted like brisket--a good thing), pan-fried trout ($25--usually offered as either trout or haddock, my wife originally ordered haddock but were later told that they ran out and was satisfied with the trout after pulling back the skin--which I ate in my bites), smoked pork tenderloin ($24--amazing*. The clear winner of the night and easily the best pork tenderloin I've ever had. Oh, that light smoky flavor!), a side of collard greens ($4--overcooked without being overcooked and nice a vinegary tang), a small order of chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies ($4--fine but lackluster compared to the rest), 2 draft beers, and one non-alcoholic mixed drink. While we were eating they also served us a side of cornbread because (we presume) of the fish change. Quite good but it was an afterthought as we dug into our entrees which both came with large portions of sides (mine was a mixture of collard greens, grits, and chow chow; can't remember my wife's anymore). We were stuffed and satiated. This is a place that starts with fresh, quality ingredients, treats them with respect and cooks them with heart. Highly recommended.

To choose between Hungry Mother and Craigie on Main....well, they're both really different. Most importantly, though, they both are really successful at what they attempt to be. If it helps people make a choice, what we ordered at Craigie on Main felt lighter (of course I didn't have the pig's head) but Hungry Mother seemed slightly less expensive. But if you have the opportunity to avoid choices, go to both.

Pax,

Brian

*I was torn between the catfish and the pork tenderloin, so I asked the bartender serving us which she'd recommend. She said the tenderloin. My response: "Really? What can you do to pork tenderloin that I can't do at home?" She said the tenderloin is very slightly smoked which makes it special. When my wife and I declared my entree the hit of the night, we told the bartender she was right. I do think a major reason for this dish's success is the meat's smoky flavor paired with the sweet, sour, tang, and mustard flavors sectioned within the bed of sides. Each bite made it seem like I was sampling two or three dishes. Great, great dish, though paired with different sides on the current online menu.

With a couple of hours to kill at lunchtime, between morning and afternoon appointments at Mass General Hospital, we had planned to go off-campus to get lunch and visit a museum. The parking, traffic and construction-related congestion around the complex changed our plan so that we could leave the car where it was in the parking structure rather than deal with the hassle of leaving and coming back. We were advised that a fine lunch could be had next door to the Yawkey outpatient building in a MGH-owned building that had once been the Boston prison, constructed in the mid 1850's. Like a Parador in Spain, the historic building has been renovated and turned into a luxury hotel, named with abundant irony, Liberty Hotel. The interior space is massive, and the tiers where the guards once patrolled now lead to hotel rooms. Many of the cell bars and massive thick granite lintels over the cell doorways remain in place. A strange and awe-inspiring space. We ate lunch in one of the several restaurants housed within the Liberty Hotel--this one called The Clink. And while we sat and ate in sleek and luxurious style, I couldn't help thinking about the century and a half of human misery and violence that those massive walls had contained. J had a lobster roll that was good but not great--the lobster didn't have a lot of flavor. House-made potato chips were on the side. My Cuban sandwich was the best one I've ever eaten. It had a thick layer of shredded pork that they probably serve as rillettes during dinner. It was luscious and full of wonderful pork flavor, and layered together with some sweet/salty ham, melted swiss cheese and thin-sliced pickle for acidity and crunch on grilled bread and a side of crisp sweet potato fries--a truly satisfying lunch.

We had lunch the next day at Union Oyster House, sitting at the ancient oyster bar where a young Boston Irish guy held court and slammed the oysters onto a chunk of granite with the oyster knife rather than wedge the knife back and forth into the shell, to open them. We shared a bowl of chowder, a huge serving of sweet steamed clams and a fried oyster roll. I'm sure that the raw oysters and clams were okay, but I rarely eat them raw, and it is a month without an "R" in it.

Two dinners at decent but unremarkable neighborhood Italian restaurants in Belmont, where we were staying with relatives.

Any recent reports or recommendations in Boston? I'll be there from the 17th to the 22nd, staying near the Hynes Convention Center. High and low end suggestions welcomed! And I'll need something that's open on Monday night, too. Looks like Craigie and Hungry Mother are closed.

I haven't been up there recently, but I sent friends to Mama Maria in the North End a few months ago and they reported that it is still excellent. Also, since I don't see either mentioned here, if you make it up to Cambridge, I like the Blue Room and Cambridge Brewing Company, which are near one another in Kendall Square.

Any recent reports or recommendations in Boston? I'll be there from the 17th to the 22nd, staying near the Hynes Convention Center. High and low end suggestions welcomed! And I'll need something that's open on Monday night, too. Looks like Craigie and Hungry Mother are closed.

here's a helpful resource to consult: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/the_50_best_restaurants_2011/page1

I haven't seen TORO mentioned on this board...it's a tapas style restaurant in the South End. Open on Mondays. I was there for the first time a few months ago and the food was terrific. A group of 5 of us ordered maybe 15 dishes (and we got a few special treats from the kitchen), and the kitchen did a great job of spacing and ordering the dishes so that items like marinated white anchovies ($7) and tortilla espanola ($5) came out early and the rich dishes like the memorable pork belly ($13) and smoked duck drumettes ($8) came out towards the end. I do not usually like tapas restaurants, but this place is an exception. Worth checking out.

It's small and they do not accept reservations. Get there early.

For fear of belaboring an uninteresting discussion, it appears we're both right, as the Timewave on the Legal website notes that its "first 'real' restaurant" was the Chestnut Hill, MA location.

I think it's absorbing. Anyway, the opening of the "real" restaurant was precisely the expansion that led to Legal's decline. My post above was originally posted in the Victims of Expansion thread in News & Media, you see.

I think it's absorbing. Anyway, the opening of the "real" restaurant was precisely the expansion that led to Legal's decline. My post above was originally posted in the Victims of Expansion thread in News & Media, you see.

And by the way: I only reluctantly question your decisions, Don, but your moving my anybody-eat-at-the-original-Legal question from its original position to here decontextualized it and led to this largely pointless exchange. I asked about the original Legal because I wondered if anyone besides me was familiar with the starting point from which Legal declined once it expanded.

I'm heading to Cambridge tomorrow and will be there through Wednesday evening.

As I'll be there for an HBS course, most of my meals are taken care of, however, tomorrow I'm on my own from about 11-5 so a lunch spot and then a place to watch some of the early football games would be ideal. Then Wednesday I have from essentially noon until 6 free before my flight back to DC so any suggestions of whats good now (otherwise I'll just use leleboo / others posts upthread as a guide) and within easy walking distance from HBS?

Thanks!

A few quick experiences from this summer and past week: If you're going to the Boston Children's Museum, consider Flour Bakery + Café. Not just a great bakery but also great sandwiches. I had the best lamb sandwich of my life there. It's a half block from this great museum. I think there are 2 or 3 other locations in the city. JParrot mentioned Island Creek Oyster Bar for drinks, but it's also a great seafood restaurant. Amazing oysters (the most flavorful that I've ever had) and a good place to go the small plates approach. The only thing that I didn't like was my wife's chowder, which was oddly sour. But wonderful vegetable dishes as well as a delicious smoked trout app. Lastly, Oleana should go to the top of your list if you're looking for something "different." The chef won for James Beard Best Northeast Chef in 2005 and she still is putting out delicious seasonal dishes. Think lots of cardamom and cumin in these Middle Eastern dishes. My wife and I got the $40 prix fixe vegetable tasting menu as well as 3 additional meze plates (a beautifully dressed salad, lamb ravioli with a poached egg, and a fluke sashimi with fried sweet potato slaw) and we were so happy with our choices. I love Max's Kosher Café, but the falafel here (served as a small plate with two falafel ball wraps) is in a league all it's own with a fried outer shell but an almost creamy center. A person could have a great culinary trip if they hit Hungry Mother, Craigie on Main, and Oleana in one excursion. Pax, Brian

Spend today walking (and more importantly, eating) around Boston.

Initially I was planning to head to Beacon Hill Bistro but we got a bit of a late start and ended up at "The Paramount" which was about a block up the street in Beacon Hill. What a lucky break, this place was awesome. Definitely not a take your time spot (you walk through, place your order, they give it to you and find you a seat) but it was perfect for 2 who were looking for something filling to get us through a day of walking. Had a delicious bacon, blue cheese, and spinach omelet with home fries and a buttermilk pancake. The +1 had a big bowl of fresh fruit and a greek omelet. Both were outstanding and I would highly recommend this place.

After walking across the city we hit both Modern and Mikes Pastry. I have to admit, both of our preferences feel with Mikes here (particularly the Lobster Tail which was like a croissant filled with whipped creme/cannoli filling that had puff pastry ribbons wrapped around it ohmy.gif ). I did enjoy the pistachio cannoli from Mikes, but I prefer a less sweet filling (like 2 Amy's back in DC).

Thanks again for the recommendations!

I agree with the recommendation for The Paramount on Beacon Hill. A neighborhood institution since 1937, it is wildly popular for breakfast with good food at good prices. The long queue to order and pick up your food makes you nervous that you will never find a seat in this small place, but somehow the system works. A nice bonus is that they will squeeze fresh carrot juice to order.

Enjoyed a quick lunch at Eastern Standard in Kenmore Square of oysters and mussels. Since this place is attached to a hotel it is open for 3 meals a day. It is a nicely appointed interior. I imagine it gets slammed for Red Sox home games.

A late lunch at Tico near Copley Square was a nice surprise. I think maybe it was the blood orange margaritas that set the moood, but the food was good as well. I was a little nervous because although the menu leans Mexican/South American, it is really all over the place. I had a nice piece of broiled red snapper on top of what looked like disassembled brussels sprouts and green beans over a mushroom puree that did not really add much to the dish. I think I would have to go back a few times to get a handle on this place, but I did find it interesting.

The best dinner of the trip was had at Bin 26 Enoteca on Beacon Hill. It was a cold windy night and they were able to squeeze us in without reservations when we were turned away at several other doors. The wine list struck me as exepnsive, but that is probably because I am cheap (but it did not stop me). Some of the highlights were the whole wheat focaccia with house made ricotta on the side, an off-menu sea bass "cerviche" that actually was served in a crudo style, and the pappardelle with pork meatballs and leek soffrito tomato and cream sauce. A simple and satisfying meal.

A late lunch at Tico near Copley Square was a nice surprise. I think maybe it was the blood orange margaritas that set the moood, but the food was good as well. I was a little nervous because although the menu leans Mexican/South American, it is really all over the place. I had a nice piece of broiled red snapper on top of what looked like disassembled brussels sprouts and green beans over a mushroom puree that did not really add much to the dish. I think I would have to go back a few times to get a handle on this place, but I did find it interesting.

I just noticed this on DCist: Boston Chef Michael Schlow Bringing Tico to 14th Street NW

East by Northeast, yes the chef/owner is a friend of mine but the food IS that good.

Dali for above average tapas

Island creek oyster bar, despite my wanting to not enjoy it, was stunning. Never had a better biscuit deep in the belly of Yankee-Dom. Plus they have txacoli rose and varying sizes of platters of chilled shellfish, what more could one want?

Despite my wanting to enjoy it, I hated Craigie on Main.

The Butcher Shop was fun in a 2009-kind of a way

Ten Tables, way out in Jamaica Plain, remains one of the best and worst meals in my 31 years; the seemingly simple food stunningly executed, as for the rest, well, if you're claustrophobic (such as myself) you might want to steer clear of this place, as I had to leave when I started sweating bullets; in my opinion it should be called 7 tables

Oleana, TW Food and Hungry Mother were all most enjoyable as well

I'll be in Boston around the New Year - suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated, both for good, bargain hotels, and restaurants, preferably Beard nominees; not Beard winners.

Sorry for the Beard winners, but I stand by my earlier post that a great trip would be hitting Craigie on Main, Hungry Mother, and Oleana. I think Hungry Mother's chef is the only one that hasn't one the Northeast award but it's probably the one I'd go to first.  It's been a few years since Oleana won but we found it delicious and different with a lot of respect for vegetables. I'd go there second if "value" plays into your decision making as it often does with me.  We went to Coppa the first year it opened and I think it's still gets great pub and I think Bissonnette has only been nominated for the James Beard though he gets national attention from the likes of Food and Wine Magazine often.  Joanne Chang has been nominated and I loved her Flour Bakery less than a block away from the amazing Children's Science museum.  She has a few locations of Flour Bakery plus a restaurant Myers + Chang that we have not been to.

As for non-nominees to think about that we haven't been to yet and would love to hear your opinion:

East by Northeast has always been intriguing with the DC area connection, good local Boston press and positive words from servers and bartenders we've chatted up but we've never actually gone (honestly one problem is that it's too cheap to warrant the rare gift of a free babysitter!).  I can't see that I've mentioned this before but a bartender from Eastern Standard who grew up in Bethesda strongly recommended Muqueca to get a unique Boston immigrant experience.    The area that has seen a lot of positive restaurant growth the last couple years is Somerville by Tufts University and restaurants there might fit your request best.  Bergamot I think gets the best critical attention in that area.   I think several of them are known for their beverage programs, too.  Neptune Oyster has always sounded delicious but it supposedly has a wait often b/c of limited seating.  I prefer shucking my own oysters now anyway.  Lastly, Asta won best new restaurant of 2013 from Boston Magazine.  It's modernist cuisine with 3 tasting menu sizes to choose but that's all I know.

One last note:  This summer our splurge was going to O Ya.  It was our most expensive meal ever but we still left hungry.  The meal was delicious, the ingredients were impeccable, and the technique was masterful, but a value it was not.  We got a dessert to share somewhere else on our way home to save us about $30.

Please share what you try.  We get up there once or twice a year for a week-plus stays and usually head to Boston and Cambridge at least once for a date night.

Pax,

Brian

• Like 1

I'll second Sam's nomination for East by Northeast.  Even if Phillip wasn't my brother I'd tell you to go there.  He's been mentioned in the New York Times, Bon Appetit and he just won best prix fixe in Boston Magazine.

Hungry Mother and Oleana are oldies but goodies.

Have a great trip, Don.  And tell Phillip hello when you go to ExNE ;)

Wow! No activity on this Boston thread in over a year?!

I'll offer two quick suggestions here and try to support them with some detail soon.

1. Ten Tables in Jamaica Plain is now one of the very best restaurants in the greater Boston area.

2. Puritan & Company in Inman Square on Cambridge St is an excellent new farm-to-table spot.

Have been to each a few times in recent months.

Finally, if ever looking to kill a few hours in Cambridge, the Taza Chocolate factory tour (Kendall Square) is really worthwhile.

Sunday Meeting in Boston led to three quick restaurants:

Salty Pig near the Back Bay Station. Doesn't get much simpler than this as far as menu goes. Charcuterie almost house made, 3 Apps, 3 Pastas, 3 mains and then Pizzas. Easy. Meats were well made, pizzas looked good.

Craigie,near Central Station in Cambridge, Nice burger, maybe not up to the hype as the bee's knees, but delicious, well accompanied and with the very nice service very good deal. Menu looks delicious but i was having dinner elsewhere that night so it was just the burger.

Alden and Harlow, at Harvard Station, Is a sharp looking space and a great little concept with a fantastic, mouth watering menu. The service at the bar was top notch for me, the food that looked so great on the menu was a let down in all three of the dishes I had.  tallow cooked Potatoes were not cooked well, Spedini was blown away, and the clams were on a strange confluence of pig tails, julienne vegetables of some sort and a noticeable lack of broth. overall Ireally wanted to like the food but couldn't.

Thornton's Restaurant for Breakfast was just as good as Brasserie Jo for half the price

Sunday Meeting in Boston led to three quick restaurants:

Salty Pig near the Back Bay Station. Doesn't get much simpler than this as far as menu goes. Charcuterie almost house made, 3 Apps, 3 Pastas, 3 mains and then Pizzas. Easy. Meats were well made, pizzas looked good.

Craigie,near Central Station in Cambridge, Nice burger, maybe not up to the hype as the bee's knees, but delicious, well accompanied and with the very nice service very good deal. Menu looks delicious but i was having dinner elsewhere that night so it was just the burger.

Alden and Harlow, at Harvard Station, Is a sharp looking space and a great little concept with a fantastic, mouth watering menu. The service at the bar was top notch for me, the food that looked so great on the menu was a let down in all three of the dishes I had. tallow cooked Potatoes were not cooked well, Spedini was blown away, and the clams were on a strange confluence of pig tails, julienne vegetables of some sort and a noticeable lack of broth. overall Ireally wanted to like the food but couldn't.

Thornton's Restaurant for Breakfast was just as good as Brasserie Jo for half the price

Totally agree on Craigie. Alden and Harlow has been on my last for next trip up. Now less sure. Have you ever tried Neptune in the South End? If not, you really should. Maybe the best lobster and clam roles in any city along with superb oysters. Very expensive and tough to get seats but a very smart and impressive business model as well.

I was recently in Boston for a work conference at the Hynes Center.  I have to admit up front not knowing much of anything about the dining scene in Boston.  We relied on James Beard nominations, Eater's 38, and of course this board when choosing dining spots.

We ventured to Cambridge our first night for dinner at Bergamot, which has received good reviews in the Boston press, and is listed as an "Essential" restaurant on Eater.com.  The space was nice, and service uniformly excellent.  I found the "cute" font seen on the website and menu to be annoying, but that's just me being a jerk.  Pre-dinner cocktails (we stuck to standards) were great.  The wine list was moderate in length, but had some nice selections.

Unfortunately, the food didn't hold up.  A starter of halibut crudo suffered from being served at room temperature (rather than being even slightly chilled), and alongside a heavy and really unappealing mayonnaise lightly infused with yuzu.  A special appetizer of housemade Linguica topped with mussel stuffing was dry, anthe spice of the linguica completely overwhelmed the tame stuffing.  Mains fared better.  A pasta with roasted morels, ramps, and favas in a cream sauce was delicious, with a wonderfully heavy smokiness from the roasted mushrooms.  The veal roulade was served at room temp (same as the halibut), and suffered from inconsistent seasoning.  Some bites were fine, and some were intensely salty from the anchovy stuffing.

Prices were fairly gentle, and they do offer a $44 3-course prix fixe.

Dinner the next night was at Hungry Mother, which I can heartily recommend.  Once again, service and setting were great, but quite different than Bergamot.  Hungry Mother had a more relaxed, quirky vibe.  Prices were great, with 4-courses (+ amuse and after dinner bite) for $52.  We also opted for the $38 drink pairing, which included (in order of courses) a cocktail, a beer, wine, and a digestif.  The menu here is Southern-inflected, and was generally well executed on our visit.  The menu seems to change frequently, if not daily, so what we had has likely already changed.  A starter of fried boudin balls was fantastic, spicy but not painfully so, and paired with a "Creole cocktail" made with rye, sweet vermouth, and Benedictine.  My next course of clams in a wine and bourbon broth was a bit less impressive.  Good, but not something I'd rush to order again.  My friend's vegetable "scrapple" was more interesting...essentially a hyped-up veggie patty, but fried with crispy bits.  Surprisingly tasty.  Shrimp and grits were served with a white Chateuneuf du Pape...I remember both being excellent but am blurry on the details (we had drinks before dinner just down the street).

2 other brief notes if you're near the convention center: Barrington Coffee shop on Newbury served me an excellent cup of Ethiopian coffee brewed with a crazy-looking device called a Steampunk.  Falafel and a trio of dips at Cafe Jaffa hit the spot, and was better looking than the options along Boylston.

Thanks, darkstar, for the Ten Tables JP recommendation!  We went there last night for a belated celebration of our son's birthday!  Definitely a little off the beaten path, but actually very close to where our nephew lives, so he joined in on the fun.  Mains were a house made linguini with some sort of pesto (not the one that is on their current online menu) and the peppercorn-rubbed hangar steak.  Both delicious.

And I can't post a review without mentioning beer programs--small but well thought out tap list (maybe 8 taps).  I had the Mystic Saison, which was good.  Unfortunately, they did not have anything from Trillium on currently (the website menu had a couple), so those still continue to elude me.

Ten tables in the restaurant (thus the name), all with a view of the seemingly tiny kitchen, with a separate bar area that has seating for about another 10 people.

For no particular reason, idling time away, I was looking at restaurant menus of places I have been and liked and so discovered that Rendezvous in Cambridge closed in the Spring of 2014.  Reviewing this thread to see if that had been mentioned, I clicked on the Hungry Mother link above and discovered  that they closed earlier this month.  FWIW.

We spent a long weekend recently in and around Boston/Cambridge.  Started out on Saturday at Moody's Deli in Waltham, where both the Banh Mi (their version adds country pate) and Spicy Cuban took the traditional versions -- pardon the cliche -- up a notch.  Their Backroom is open for dinner only and the menu looked tempting, but we had reservations later that day at Craigie on Main!  erin79 and I still talk about our brunch there several years ago, and dinner lived up to the hype.  Spanish octopus, sea trout, and pork three ways were all cooked perfectly.  They sat us in the bar area instead of the main dining room because of our toddler son, but that also meant that we could order the burger (a step below Palena's but still excellent) in addition to the regular menu.  Surprisingly, what impressed us more than the food was their cocktails.  We skipped dessert and got ice cream down the street at Toscanini's.

Sunday brunch at Alden & Harlow was pretty good.  We were still stuffed from the day before and skipped the Secret Burger, opting for "lighter" options like the pain perdu.  The cheddar sauce in the sausage and potato skillet brought all the other components together wonderfully.  Cocktails here were great too.  No thanks to ESPN moving the Red Sox game to 8 pm (i.e., our son's bedtime), we had dinner beforehand at Sweet Cheeks, a few blocks from Fenway.  Good brisket and Berkshire pork BBQ, nothing memorable but decent value.

We spent Monday morning at the Boston Children's Museum and had breakfast a block down at Flour, of course.  I really wanted a cupcake (the one we had years before ranks up there among my all-time favorites) but we had indulged a bit too much on the trip and stuck with simpler pastries.

I just saw this, so if the game you went to was this past weekend, this will be useless information to you.

If by "loiter"ing, you mean just hanging around and grabbing a beer, the closest places, i.e., the Cask 'n Flagon, and Boston Beer Works, and anything that is open on Lansdowne Street, will generally be mobbed.  A half-block down Brookline Ave. away from Kenmore Square is a pretty immense Yard House-I don't know how crowded that gets after games.  Sort of across the street from Yard House is a Residence Inn by Marriott that has a rooftop bar that is open before games, and may be open after games.  You could possibly check at the desk to see if it will be open postgame.  It is on the 7th floor, and looks back toward Fenway Park with the Pru in the background.

If you walk back toward Kenmore Square, bearing right you will see Eastern Standard, which is a restaurant/bar that will undoubtedly be packed, but if not, it is worth stopping in.  Past that is the Island Creek Oyster House, which may also be packed, but also if not, is a decent place to grab a beer and maybe some clam chowder (it is actually very highly rated as a raw bar, so if it is not packed and you are inclined to eat, maybe this will work).

Another half-block or so past ICOH is Lower Depths, a cash-only beer bar that usually has a nice selection of beers on tap, including locals, and it is just far enough away (maybe a 10 minute walk) from Fenway, and past the Kenmore T stop, that while it may be crowded, probably will not be jammed.

If you can escape the traffic sort of to the west, and get to an Uber car, I would recommend you head to Deep Ellum out in Allston for a really nice beer selection and some reasonably innovative bar food.  It is very popular regardless of whether there is a game, so if you are at a Friday or Saturday night game, all bets are off.  In that case, Lower Depths may be your best bet.

ETA: I meant to mention that Sweet Cheeks, noted in the above post, is on the back, less popular side of Fenway Park.  It is close enough that it might be jammed, or might be just enough out of the way to not be.  I have generally not ventured over to that side after games.

As for where I ended up, it was the Cask 'n Flagon.  I arrived two hours before the game started.  The steak tips salad showed up deconstructed (aka. mix the major ingredients), but it was great.  Service at the bar was iffy, but I'm glad I showed up early because there was a line out the door soon after I arrived.

I didn't go anywhere else because of time restraints.  I'd visit Fenway again in an instant, though.  I loved it.  If you want to go, preciseseating.com is your friend because of the obstruction problem.

• Like 1

My husband was just up in the Boston area for a long weekend/family visit. They hit two suburban restaurants and had meals he thought were quite good.  The first was at Il Casale, an Italian restaurant in Lexington, which also has a location in Belmont.  The highlight was the catch of the day, ordered by both people, which was pan roasted, skin-on, red snapper with lobster mushroom fonduta, and braised greens.  Market price for this was $30 a plate.  My husband also liked the pasta of the day he ordered ($12), but I don't recall what it was.

There were three people for the next meal, one of whom has significant dietary restrictions (including things like garlic), and they found the staff at Gustazo - Cuba Cafe to be quite helpful.  (There was a call in advance about the dietary issues.)  They ordered small and large plates across the menu, including the Ropa Vieja, mussels in creamy chorizo sauce, and chicken croquettes.  My husband particularly mentioned liking the roasted beet medley and he doesn't really care for beets...

I was envious of both meals but especially the one at Gustazo.  The Cubanitos, described on the menu as "Cubano bites, with roasted pork, smoked ham, Dijon, aioli, pickles & gruyere," really made my mouth water.

Quick work trip to Boston next week and looking for recommendations for a not too expensive restaurant easily accessible from the downtown area (staying near Faneuil Hall/Haymarket subway stop). And, if anyone has lunch ideas for Otter River, MA, throw those out too!

On October 27, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Pat said:

My husband was just up in the Boston area for a long weekend/family visit. They hit two suburban restaurants and had meals he thought were quite good.  The first was at Il Casale, an Italian restaurant in Lexington, which also has a location in Belmont.  The highlight was the catch of the day, ordered by both people, which was pan roasted, skin-on, red snapper with lobster mushroom fonduta, and braised greens.  Market price for this was $30 a plate.  My husband also liked the pasta of the day he ordered ($12), but I don't recall what it was.

We returned to Il Casale in Lexington with my MIL for a fantastic meal over the weekend.  This time we know what the pasta of the day was: black pepper pappardelle with shredded roast leg of lamb, topped with ricotta salata and breadcrumbs.  Both my husband and his mother ordered it, he a full portion ($28) and she a half $14).  I sampled some of it as well and it was a delicious combination of flavors.  The lamb and pasta were both cooked perfectly.  My MIL thought it was a little salty, but neither my husband nor I did, and I'm usually pretty sensitive to that. It was probably from the ricotta. YMMV.  All of the primi pastas are available as half portions for half price. 

My husband--he of the big appetite--got two entrees, also ordering the lemon chicken: chicken scallopine, spinach, sliced lemon ($24). He polished off both completely.

I composed my own entree, ordering a half order of eggplant Parmesan ($12) and a side order of three pork meatballs ($9).  The two went great together and ditto on the flavors and cooking perfection. We had the remainder of this with lunch the next day. My husband thought the combination should be a standard menu option.

We ordered two antipasti dishes (one labeled a "Neopolitan Street Food") to share. Fried calamari, lemon mascarpone, crispy lemon, nonna's pepperoncini ($12) was not only the best fried calamari I've had in recent memory but also the best composed calamari plate. The thin rounds of pepperoncini added a bit of heat and acidity that really elevated this above a standard preparation. The fried lemon slices--turned sweet through frying--were reminiscent of a Palena fry plate, and the creamy, tangy lemon mascarpone brought it all together.  The "street food" was arancini, white wine parmigiano risotto, truffled fontina fonduta, chives ($12). There were 4 or 5 of these and they rivaled the last great arancini I had, which was at a DR picnic some years ago. I think the dipping sauce might have had some horseradish in it.  Whatever it was, I managed to spill it on my shirt.  

They had a wonderful bright, dry Pecorino from Marche on the white wine list as well. The wine list isn't online, and I don't recall what it was, unfortunately. 

Service had a few small glitches but was overall good.  In addition to the Belmont location, they also own Restaurant Dante in Cambridge.

We all loved the meal. I'd happily go back here again and again.

Some quick updates from several recent trips to Boston:

First, No. 9 Park. Went for two visits, once for the tasting menu, once for the a la carte menu. In short, No. 9 continues to be my favorite restaurant in Boston. Intimate feel, staff who really "get it" and are very interested in the food and wine being served. Highlights from my visits were corn agnolotti and a really fantastic halibut dish, the details of which I've lost to time. Wine highlights were a Puffeney Poulsard, Paolo Bea Sagrantino, and a Monthelie for the a la carte dinner, producer forgotten. If you find yourself in Boston you could do much worse than booking a celebratory meal here.

Also hit Menton, Barbara Lynch's "other" flagship restaurant. Much larger than No. 9 and consequently less personal feeling - also a stellar wine list (had an Overnoy Trousseau) and service. Great meal, although I found the "Butter Soup" pretty shamelessly derivative of Keller's "Oysters and Pearls". Another great meal, although for the money I much prefer No. 9.

Sportello: Right next to Menton is another Barbara Lynch spot, Sportello. Sportello is a lunch counter set up that serves pasta and a few entrees and appetizers in more of a "quick serve fine dining" atmosphere. There is a $55 "Let us Cook for you" option - I highly suggest taking advantage of this. I had a full portion of pasta, one glass of rose and some bread and my bill, plus tip was around $55. I think letting them cook for me would have provided more value, though I did enjoy my bolognese with grilled peach. Of all the Lynch places, this will be an easy pass next time around, but was nice for a quick business lunch.

Bar Mezzana: This relatively new spot is in the relatively new Ink Block area, which seems like it may be Boston proper's Clarendon. Despite this, had a great meal - really reminded me of the late, great Bar Milano, which in between Gramercy and Murray Hill and run by the 'inoteca guys. Great casual feel and excellent, simple italian cuisine. This is a must for me the next couple times I am in Boston (note, they only use Reserve for reservations at present). Started with a grilled octopus app, with potato, salsa verde and pole bean. The octopus was prefectly charred, the salsa verde added a nice bite to the dish - i believe that there was also some lemon rind and celery added as well. Followed up with Paccheri pasta in a lobster cream sauce with some cherry tomatoes and green onion added in. The lobster was perfectly cooked and a generous portion. Truly enjoyed this lively spot, and they were great to a solo diner, giving me the option of eating at a table or at the bar. Can't wait to return.

Ocean Prime: Had a work dinner at this giant upscale chain restaurant in the seaport. Think Capital Grille applied to seafood. That said, our group enjoyed everything we ate and the place was filled to the gills at 6:45 on a Wednesday so clearly they are on to something. Worth a mention only for the sheer mediocrity of their wine list and the very professional service - if you'd like seafood in Boston there are many other places to seek out that are more unique.

I was in Boston over the weekend celebrating my SIL's birthday.  We stayed at the Intercontinental, which was really nice.  You could get to and from Logan super quickly on the water taxi from that location.  The room was nicely appointed and had a huge bathroom, which I always appreciate when there are two girls staying in the same room.  The indoor pool is the type where water is constantly spilling over the side into drains, so it is a bit loud, but as it is an indoor pool, that loudness just kind of makes any other noise- kids playing or etc dimmed a bit.  The concierge offered good food recommendations, was very helpful with transportation.  The bellman told us about Primark which we had never been to and had fun shopping at (cheap clothes and accessories, a bit H&M like, but not h&M) and how to get to Fenway Park.  The location was great, you could walk across the bridge on Congress St and in about two blocks be in a great restaurant area.  We were walking distance to downtown, touristy stuff and about two blocks away from the South Street station which has both the T and commuter rail.  I didn't eat there, but we did get a drink there one night at their rum bar.  

Our first day there we wanted to go to Neptune's Oyster but there was a two hour wait so we went to a restaurant right down the street- Rabia's.  We got lobster rolls, which are pretty darn hard to screw up, and were good.  I got a few oysters, which weren't shucked as well as they probably would have been at Neptune's but they were fine.  Service was quick and the air conditioning was strong, which was nice since it was quite steamy when we walked in to check on the wait at Neptune's.  SIL would proba have gotten a lobster roll anyway, so all was well.  That night we went to a game at Fenway Park.  I haven't been to many of the classic ball parks.  She really liked it and said she much preferred it to the old Yankees stadium.  I thought it was interesting the lack of "gimmicks" at the game, which was refreshing for me.  Note they do not sell beer in the stands, you have to get it at concessions.  We had seats looking right at the Monster, it was a bit hard to see the mound and batter sometimes just because I am short and the seats aren't as steeply sloped, but I just had to jostle a bit.  I got a steak and cheese sub with peppers and onions which was very good, better than any of the stadium food I have had at Nat's Park, and a Sam Adam's summer ale.  Their beer selection seemed fairly limited to me, but I have no problem drinking cheap beer on a hot night at a baseball stadium.

The next day, we ate brunch at the Grannery, which was good.  I had lobster benedict over biscuits with asparagus and SIL had a really good waffle and fresh fruit.  We opted not to sit outside because we were going to be in the sun all afternoon, but they had nice outdoor seating.  All the food coming out for brunch looked good, pretty standard brunch fair with a few interesting items.  Then we rented kayaks from the Charles River Canoe and Kayak and paddled our way around the charles River for a while.  Their rental rates were very reasonable.  We had a great time doing this.  SIL had never kayaked before, and given some of the wakes and a little wind, it was probably good that I had, but it wasn't a hard place to kayak at all.  And it was so nice to be out in the sun with such pretty views.  You can do a one way kayak from Boston to Cambridge and you can rent a dry bag to store your stuff in for the trip.  That night we went to a concert to see someone, I still can't remember their name, at House of Blues that my SIL wanted to see- does Broadway some tv.  Anyway, the line was out the door, down, down the road to get in, BUT unless you wanted to be in the throng of teenage girls up by the stage, we could have gotten their much later than when they said to be there.  We got a couple beers, but then went for dinner aftewards at Row 34.  Row 34 was GREAT, they had an awesome Avery beer on their list that I really enjoyed.  The oysters were shucked perfectly.  I got clams in a really delicious broth which was a nice portion for an appetizer and totally was enough for a meal with a side.  I got the old bay onion rings, which were maybe the best onion rings I have ever had.  They were very small, thin and crispy, but not hard, with a really good, but not overbearing Old Bay flavor.  It was definitely there, and I love Old Bay, so I really loved these.  I wish we had room for dessert as everything we had here was good.  I would like to go back here and try more of the menu.  We then went back to our hotel to the Rumba, which every time I think about pronouncing with a Boston accent makes me laugh.  

The next day, SIL was a bit tentative on the type of food she wanted to eat after eating fried food and multiple drinks the night before, we kind of just wanted sandwiches, and went to the Boston Market, but they didn't have that large of a selection of prepared foods and nothing sounded like what we wanted.  We then got to indecisive hungry, until I saw the Wagamama sign.  SIL had never been to one so we went to Wagamama and had teriyaki chicken and yakisoba.  The yakisoba tasted more like pad thai than yakisoba to me, but it still hit the spot when very indecisively hungry.    That night before we flew out we ate at Pastoral and had really good pizza.  The crust was thin, but not soggy.  The toppings were great, I had a fungi pie and between the pesto, mushrooms, pancetta and smoked provola I had a hard time not eating too much.  I would definitely love to go back here too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dracisk said:

Did you go to the Wagamama in the Prudential Center? My college aged stepdaughter waitresses there. :-)

No we were at Fauniell Hall, but it seems like it would be a fun place to work!  We should have gone back and gone to State Street Provisions, but SIL didn't want Italian, seafood or spicy or anything heavy, so it seemed to fit the bill.  And there were some girls playing violin and bass just outside, which was very pleasant.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 3:14 PM, Jeff Heineman said:

I was in Boston a few weekends ago and spent a couple of long lunches at the bar at The Salty Pig.  Relaxed hipster-ish vibe.  Patio seating available.  Friendly and knowledgeable bartenders.  Ample and interesting draft beer selection.  Over the course of two days made more than one pass through all four of the tasty cheese and charcuterie boards on the lunch menu and several of the excellent pizzas.  Nice, albeit not very recent, write up about this place ->->-> Five Reasons to Revisit The Salty Pig - Chef Kevin O’Donnell has teamed up with an old friend, and now their Back Bay restaurant is thriving, by Christopher Hughes, October 6, 2014, on bostonmagazine.com.  Worth a visit.