Boston and Cambridge, MA

Deffinitely Boston and Lobster! I was thinking entrees around $20- $30 to clarify that we are looking to go somewhere nicer than a casual seafood shack (which of course I also love, but for another time). I certainly expect to pay more for the lobster!

I've always had luck at Jasper White's Summer Shack, in the Back Bay area near the Sheraton and Hynes convention center. Seems to be a good mix of locals and tourists, I've been pleased with what I've ordered in the past, and the prices, while not cheap, are reasonable.

Two weekend nights in Boston. Where should we eat dinner? I'd love to find the Beantown equivalent of something like Komi, Restaurant Eve, Palena, Vidalia... something homegrown, that reflects the town it's in, not an imported celebrity chef, not a major culinary statement, not on the tourist radar. Also, what's small and cool by way of lodging these days - say, within a two mile radius of the public garden?

Two weekend nights in Boston. Where should we eat dinner? I'd love to find the Beantown equivalent of something like Komi, Restaurant Eve, Palena, Vidalia... something homegrown, that reflects the town it's in, not an imported celebrity chef, not a major culinary statement, not on the tourist radar. Also, what's small and cool by way of lodging these days - say, within a two mile radius of the public garden?

Neptune Oyster. http://www.neptuneoyster.com/

There were several Boston chefs who made Food and Wine Magazine's 50 Hall of Fame Best New Chefs. O Ya's Tim Cushman also made it as one of 2008's best new chefs because of his innovative sushi. We almost went there one night but opted for Radius instead only b/c we could get a better reservation time. We were very happy with Radius. Our experience is detailed upthread.

Pax,

Brian

I second Radius as a great choice - beautiful, modern space, great savory cocktails, and awesome food.

When we visited, there was a bit of a tourist element there as their burger which had just been voted "best in America" in some publication that week. Apparently people were flying in from all over so I'm glad I had made a reservation for a 1 PM weekday lunch... The burger was definitely a winner - perfectly cooked, well seasoned, and the condiments really emphasized the meat - cheddar cheese, a light brushing of a horseradish cream sauce, and fried onions.

Friends of mine love Mistral as well... that's next on my list.

We were there recently and had a very good meal at Sel de la Terre in the waterfront area near Fanueil Market. Looks touristy but is a very solid restaurant up there with the meals we had at similar price points in D.C. and NYC. And a wine list with some very unusual and well priced choices (stay away from the high end and look for the quirky... they excell at finding things). We also thought highly of a place in Cambridge with the unfortunate name of EVOO. They're into sustainable agriculture, slow foods movement, etc and are turning out some very nice results without preachiness.

We had some good food and drink in Boston this weekend. For dinner at Hamersley's we had a thin tomato broth based lobster bisque with chanterelles, a much lighter way of starting off the meal than we expected. "Thin" isn't meant negatively; it was a great base to let the star ingredients shine. Cassoulet was a great combination of white beans with a bit of other vegetables and herbs, and duck confit, roast pork, and fantastically garlicky sausage. MrP opted for a vegetarian version, which he found disappointing, but what would you expect with all that meat in someone else's bowl nearby? Maple creme brulee was just perfect: enough caramelized sugar to give that cracking texture, and the underlying custard smooth and cool all the way to the top. (I'm a creme brulee perfectionist; it's rare that I find one that hasn't been curdled under too much sugar.)

For late afternoon cocktails and dessert we went to Eastern Standard . (Kenmore Square sure looks different, but the Citgo sign is still there.) Couldn't decide on what to order from the diverse cocktail menu; one of the bartenders recommended "one of our Manhattan variations." "I must have missed that."flip, flip "Not on the menu" winks "do you like them bitter?" He used Rittenhouse bottled in bond, Aperol, Luxardo, Punt e Mes and Angostura bitters. The drink is called Prospect Park. It was indeed bitter, and very unusual, but smooth and balanced. I would never have thought to mix whiskey and Aperol, but then maybe that's why I'm not a bartender.

MrP couldn't resist dessert while I imbibed, and got some mint chocolate chip ice cream profiterolles, which were remarkable in that the ice cream was not green and it tasted like it had been made with fresh leaves rather than extract, which probably explains why I liked it (normally can't stand mint ice cream). A nibble of this made me suddenly hungry so I had to get beignets with bourbon caramel sauce. I really regret that we weren't able to have a full meal here.

A late dinner at Radius started with another fantastic cocktail, made from rye whiskey, maple syrup, and just enough bitters to keep the drink from being too sweet while making it mysteriously complex. My first course was a lovely seasonal gnocchi preparation, with bacon and brussels sprouts leaves.

Feeling a bit off from several days of indulgence, I decided to take a gamble on the 'vegetables five ways' main course. The waiter said that the dish not only varies from night to night, but from table to table. He then asked about allergies and aversions, a really nice touch. The plate came with four different preparations that I'm totally blanking on, other than that one featured baby spinach and one had brussels sprouts. The fifth preparation was a light but creamy squash soup.

The memory lapse is going to keep me from getting across how amazing this dish was. Even though I can't recall the details, I can recall being amazed. I learned later that each part was cooked by a different sous chef, and yet all together it came across as a unified tasting of autumn flavors. There aren't many restaurants that treat vegetables with this much respect. It was stunning. So was dessert, but again I'm totally blanking. Something involving a soft cake with sesame and a few other almost savory ingredients - mascarpone, maybe? - just barely sweet and very refined.

Service was as good as the food. After taking our order, something must have clicked in the waiter's mind, because he came right back to ask if the bacon in the gnocchi would be a problem, and I assured him that I'm not actually a vegetarian and that I adore bacon.

We had some mediocre lunches that aren't worth writing about, but Emack and Bolio's pumpkin ice cream hits the spot.

As an aside, if you're into unusual pop music, check out this . Last time I was in the Wang center it was to see the Metropolitan Opera perform Carmen. My how times do change.

No 9 Park. Fantastic. Started with a foie gras torchon. Paired beautifully with a cream of gala apples - it could have used a touch more salt to stop it from sliding into lardtasticness, but still lovely. My companion's prune gnocchi with seared foie gras was phenomenal. The gnocchi was light, and developed from a technique learned by the chef in Northern Italy. My entree was duck breast with a lovely crisp skin, along with a base of duck confit, and duck consomme poured around it. Finished off with some broccoli rabe, it was a perfect wintery meal. My dessert was good - malted chocolate tablet with a green banana ice cream and bruleed banana slices. But my companion's was AMAZING. Salted caramel ice cream on a bed of cacao nibs with a disc of chocolate on top, some sort of foam, and hot chocolate poured over top to melt the chocolate disc. YUM! Salty, not too sweet, nutty and bitter from the nibs. Mmmph... heavily debating returning for another meal tomorrow.

One of the most fascinating aspects of tonight was how well the staff was trained exhaustively in the techniques used, their origins, and origins of the inputs. Definitely a knowledge level in line with some truly fine dining.

One of the most fascinating aspects of tonight was how well the staff was trained exhaustively in the techniques used, their origins, and origins of the inputs. Definitely a knowledge level in line with some truly fine dining.
I could have sworn I posted about this here, but I don't see it, so I'll run the risk of repeating myself. We had a family meal at No. 9 Park near Christmas a few years ago. The staff clearly were well-trained not only in the details of food and service but in how to handle extraordinary situations. An agitated man who was clearly in the throes of some type of mental illness was yelling and walking back and forth through the restaurant, and the employees of the restaurant handled it about as well as a situation like that can be handled. It was very awkward and strange (not to mention sad), but they behaved smoothly and professionally throughout the episode. I suppose it's an odd thing to be impressed by, but I left feeling as though they knew how to deal with just about anything.

I would like to be able to go back and focus on the food, though.

It's interesting to see all the things that Barbara Lynch is doing in Boston. She's really making a number of dining destinations in the city that are really worth visiting. I decided to return to The Butcher Shop on my last night, and I had a nice conversation with our server. Each restaurant in the group has an expertise that requires extensive training. The fellows at B&G can look at an oyster tell you whether it came from the Pacific or Atlantic. I'm not sure if that's complicated, but it sounds impressive. The Butcher Shop focuses on wine and characuterie - they have weekly wine and cheese classes that the servers are required to attend. At No 9 Park they start you out on the cheese cart which has approximately 24 cheeses that change quite frequently and should be recognized on sight.

But aside from that... they have the temerity to put marrow bones and boudin noir on the same plate with some matchsticked apple. And it worked. The bones were pure white on the outside - all the flesh had been scraped off. And the fat was still quite firm. The boudin noir was light and airy. It could have maybe used a touch more fruit, but for someone with a head cold it felt like healing. And the boudin lent the right amount of salt and flavor to the marrow. And one less bone probably would have done the trick or someone to share. Ended with cardamom pot de creme, which was delicious. Though I would have suggested it be a touch more firm. Nonetheless it was a pleasing environment and comfort food. I am looking forward to checking out Sportello the next time I am up there, and there will be another restaurant that is even more fine dining than No 9 Park to visit.

I have lived across the street from India Castle in Cambridge for six months but never eaten there. Two reasons -- 1) I never saw anyone eating dinner there and 2) I have satisfied my Indian jones while eating with classmates at a place closer to school. Now that the semester is over, I have seen that India Castle is packed at lunch and I'm not heading into school. Tonight I picked up some lamb saag and garlic naan. Both were excellent. The saag had a nice kick to it and much more meat then you typically see. I'm going to have to try the lunch buffet one of these days.

It's interesting to see all the things that Barbara Lynch is doing in Boston. She's really making a number of dining destinations in the city that are really worth visiting. I decided to return to The Butcher Shop on my last night, and I had a nice conversation with our server. Each restaurant in the group has an expertise that requires extensive training. The fellows at B&G can look at an oyster tell you whether it came from the Pacific or Atlantic. I'm not sure if that's complicated, but it sounds impressive. The Butcher Shop focuses on wine and characuterie - they have weekly wine and cheese classes that the servers are required to attend. At No 9 Park they start you out on the cheese cart which has approximately 24 cheeses that change quite frequently and should be recognized on sight.

But aside from that... they have the temerity to put marrow bones and boudin noir on the same plate with some matchsticked apple. And it worked. The bones were pure white on the outside - all the flesh had been scraped off. And the fat was still quite firm. The boudin noir was light and airy. It could have maybe used a touch more fruit, but for someone with a head cold it felt like healing. And the boudin lent the right amount of salt and flavor to the marrow. And one less bone probably would have done the trick or someone to share. Ended with cardamom pot de creme, which was delicious. Though I would have suggested it be a touch more firm. Nonetheless it was a pleasing environment and comfort food. I am looking forward to checking out Sportello the next time I am up there, and there will be another restaurant that is even more fine dining than No 9 Park to visit.

My wife and I checked out the Butcher Shop and really enjoyed our meal sharing an order of antipasti (which is really a charcuterie platter anywhere else--$15), selection of 3 (very small) cheeses ($12), marinated olives ($5), and farfalle with No. 9 Park bolognese sauce ($16). The only real disappointment was heading to the basement to use the restroom and noticing the plastic packages of farfalle pasta and commercial-sized jars of gerkins sitting on the shelf next to the bathroom door. At a small shop like this, we had the false impression that EVERYTHING would be made completely in house, but their supply shelf shows that's clearly not the case. But that didn't make any of the food any less tasty. I'd eagerly go back even if those packages said Chef Boyardee because the food was damn good.

synaesthesia, I wasn't sure on how to interpret your last sentence, so to possibly clarify for others, our waiter told us that Sportello is a very casual place. The waiter, who hasn't been yet, says everyone keeps coming by saying, "You've got to go just to try the braised rabbit pasta!" Anyone going to the children's museum should stop by and try to confirm!

Pax,

Brian

synaesthesia, I wasn't sure on how to interpret your last sentence, so to possibly clarify for others, our waiter told us that Sportello is a very casual place.

Sorry. Yes there is Sportello. They are opening another restaurant that is not Sportello that will be super fine dining, apparently.

Oh god. I am so full. We are departing Boston on the morrow, so I should record what we had before I collapse in a happy stupor.

Yesterday's lunch was at the Parish Cafe, where we split an app of tender beer-battered onion rings and N had the larger-than-his-head Meatloaf Club while I gorged on a Cottage Pie. Heavier than I'd hoped, the cafe had good atmosphere and everything was tasty. I had barely recovered when it was time for dinner; we met friends of his at their place for drinks, and then toddled off to Eastern Standard.

Here is where I should mention that the last book I read before we left was Service Included, an amusing tale about the author's experience as a server in first two years of Per Se. So I've been thinking about bone marrow.

So, what leapt out at me from the menu was bone marrow. We got that and the pate to start. Sadly, only three bones for the four of us, but I'm not that fond of pate in any case. But the marrow! Definitely worth the considerable effort it took to extract it. The cocktails were fantastic, the entrees enjoyable, but I was still musing on marrow.

This morning we didn't actually extract ourselves from our charming accomodations (Inn at St Botolph) until midafternoon. Our first choice for lunch was closed to prepare for the evening service, and thus we found ourselves wandering past Picco in the South End. Warm, bready calzones and caramel swirl ice cream hit the spot.

Wandering home I was mugged by a cashmere sweater; as I was forking over the dough the proprietress informed us that she was a foodie and recommended that we dine at La Voile. We thought we'd consider it. At nine thirty, with no other plans, we threw our hands up and said why not?

Besides, they had Bone Marrow.

That, and the onion soup started us off. We both managed to share. both were fantastic. Nick's beef cheeks and my mushroom risotto were also fantastic. And the profiteroles were probably too much, but we ate them all anyway. Everyone was very friendly, and I'm really glad I got mugged by that sweater. Even if I'm going to be 10 lbs fatter when I get home.

Wound up at Rendezvous in Central Square last night. Had previously only had drinks and dessert there which were good but not great so I hadn't returned. Glad I gave it another chance. Split a Maine lobster and shrimp salad with blood orange, pomegranate, and frisee. This was outstanding. I'm considering going back for this tonight. The sweet shrimp, tangy orange, and peppery frisee made for a great blend. This was followed by duck three ways -- breast, confit, and garlic sausage. The sausage and confit were great, the breast was kind of bland. This dish fell flat because of the mushy, heavy beans with 2 small bits of carrot it was served on top of. I know it is winter and this screams hearty, but I thought it really needed something green to round it out. Serve half the beans and add some braised greens - still hearty but better balance. Dining companion got some sort of cod dish and cleaned his plate in a blink of an eye. He was also very pleased with his Storm King Stout.

We were in Boston a couple of weeks ago. Here are my impressions:

Clio - supposedly the best retso in Boston. Unfortunately, we did not go super hungry so we passed on the tasting menu and went a la carte. I think that was a huge mistake. The tasting menu looked superb. I had marinated yellowtail and yellowfin. It was too salty. She had the terrine of foie gras that had some interesting dehydrated fruits...I think strawberry? It was delicious but a large portion. For mains, she had a licorice duck dish and I had a halibut dish. Both competent but nothing exceptional. For dessert, I had a raspberry creamsicle and she had some kind of gelee of fruit that was rolled...delish and this superb, really superb blackberry sorbet.

EVOO http://www.evoorestaurant.com/ in Somerville, MA. Here was the 8-course tasting menu (I'm missing a few items, sauces, and accoutrements- this is from memory).

House terrine with pickles and whole-grain mustard

Braised tongue, potato croquette, habanero hollandaise

Salad with rabbit confit

Lamb's head soup

Pork skin risotto/arancini with pan seared scallop

House-made BBQ sauce, chicken sausage, plantains, onion pickle

Local ashed-goat cheese with honey

Beignet with fresh berries and whipped cream

The food was expertly prepared and plated and we got the accompanying wine flight (one wine per course - good thing we took a cab).

What does this meal cost? $60 ($90 with the wine flight).

Summer Shack - honestly I was disappointed. I made a point of getting a chowder (NE clam). It was thin (which I understand to be authentic) but the flavor was not as good as (gasp) Legal Seafood and the clams were sandy. She had crabcakes which were had too much pasty filler and used a low quality crab. For entrees, I had a Chilean sea bass and she had scrod. The scrod was delicious; the bass- inadequately seasoned.

Just visited Boston and wanted to post a couple of things on a couple dining experiences and otherwise we had up there:

1. The Bleacher Bar behind the Green Monster on Lansdowne St is a must visit for a Red Sox fan. It has a giant, floor to ceiling view of left field from the ground level. You look thru a screen onto the field. it's great for watching batting practice or seeing the players close up in pre-game. Beer selection, ambiance, etc is pretty much standard Boston watering hole but the view onto the field is really cool.

2. Euno - Italian restaurant in the North End. Tiny, family-run place on Salem St among myriad other Italian places up there. Very friendly service, good food but not great. I was surprised that they had no hard liquor license but did offer several "martinis" as drink specials. Maybe because the cocktails all had wine in them? Anyway, wine list was less Italian than I would have guessed or preferred but I did manage to find a good Riesling that went nicely with the calamari appetizer we had and the penne with pesto i had for entree. The calamari came two ways - fried and in a cold salad with diced peppers and olive oil. Both very nicely done. I would definitely order again. My penne was ok, the pesto was a bit bland and not as redolent of basil as I expected. Not bad but not great either. My wife's pomodoro was quite nice though. Pastas cooked very well. Very nice service as well. Staff member personally called us a cab and gave me a glass of grappa on the house as we waited.

3. Kashmir - Indian restaurant in Back Bay. We have been to this place numerous times in the past several years and have always been impressed. It is high quality, simple Indian fare that never fails to impress. We ordered vegetable samosas, dal makhani, channa dal, tandoori salmon, and plain naan. Samosas were pleasantly crunchy outside, soft inside. Nicely seasoned and tasty, especially when dipped into the spicy mint sauce. The chickpeas and lentils epitomized how simple and satisfying Indian cooking can be. They could have been a bit spicier, though we did admittedly ask for mild to accomodate our 2yr old's palate. But otherwise, they offered the melange of flavors and textures, when paired with basmati rice, that you look for in these dishes. The salmon was exceptional as well. Perfectly cooked, lightly seasoned with an assortment of spices, and served with a silky/spicy sauce it was fantastic. Oh yea, and the naan was the best I have ever had. Light in texture, but still pleasantly chewy. Just perfect. If you are in Boston and want Indian food, eat here.

4. Beacon Hill Bistro - Charles St right off Boston Common. We ate breakfast here every morning. Vanilla pancakes, Belgian waffles with berries, muesli with yogurt, home fried potatoes - all nicely executed, tasty dishes. Friendly service in a quaint neighborhood setting. Good coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice. Nice place to start your day.

My wife and I were in Boston over the weekend and had a great lunch at the Parish Cafe and Bar, 361 Boylston Street, near the Public Gardens. As another poster mentioned, they feature sandwiches designed by various Boston chefs. I had Sean's Meatloaf Club ($12.75), which was accompanied by mashed potatoes with gravy. My wife had Sean's Simple Chicken ($14.50), which is a version of chicken picatta; it's served over garlic mashed potatoes and baby spinach. Both dishes were wonderful. We ate at the bar and were well served by the bartenders. Parish Cafe will be a must on our next trip to Boston.

I'm heading to Boston with the +1 Thursday evening. Planning on spending Friday doing some tourist activities (Quincy Market, Sam Adams Brewery, etc). Does anyone have some good breakfast/lunch recommendations? I'd love to head down to Quincy early so either down in that part of the city or near Boyleston would be much appreciated.

In reading upthread some, I'm thinking the Beacon Hill bistro might be a nice start.

Thanks in advance!

I'm heading to Boston with the +1 Thursday evening. Planning on spending Friday doing some tourist activities (Quincy Market, Sam Adams Brewery, etc). Does anyone have some good breakfast/lunch recommendations? I'd love to head down to Quincy early so either down in that part of the city or near Boyleston would be much appreciated.

In reading upthread some, I'm thinking the Beacon Hill bistro might be a nice start.

Thanks in advance!

Near Boylston street or just near the Boylston T stop? You will probably also see upthread some recommendations for Parish Cafe -- you might want to check that out. I haven't been in a few years but it was a great lunch/brunch spot then.

If you want to go sort of historic and continue the tourist-y things, what about Union Oyster House? It's down near Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market. (I think it might depend how much you want to focus on the food rather than the atmosphere, although Union never let me down when I took friends there.)

You also won't be far from the North End -- easily walkable to Mike's Pastry (or Modern, if you want to compare) for cannoli. :(

Near Boylston street or just near the Boylston T stop? You will probably also see upthread some recommendations for Parish Cafe -- you might want to check that out. I haven't been in a few years but it was a great lunch/brunch spot then.

If you want to go sort of historic and continue the tourist-y things, what about Union Oyster House? It's down near Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market. (I think it might depend how much you want to focus on the food rather than the atmosphere, although Union never let me down when I took friends there.)

You also won't be far from the North End -- easily walkable to Mike's Pastry (or Modern, if you want to compare) for cannoli. :(

Thanks for the tips! I had heard about Mike's pastry and since I have a soft spot in my heart for all things cannoli, I am going to have to check that out.

Thanks for the tips! I had heard about Mike's pastry and since I have a soft spot in my heart for all things cannoli, I am going to have to check that out.

Just backtrack the steps of the people heading out of the North End with the string-tied boxes. There is, though, a long-standing debate (argument? feud? precursor to the next great world war?) over whether Mike's is actually better than Modern, which is pretty much directly across the street from it. We did our best in college to run a randomized, double-dummy, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to determine the truth of the matter, but alas, no conclusive results were found, meaning more testing is needed. Go to! :(

Spend today walking (and more importantly, eating) around Boston.

Initially I was planning to head to Beacon Hill Bistro but we got a bit of a late start and ended up at "The Paramount" which was about a block up the street in Beacon Hill. What a lucky break, this place was awesome. Definitely not a take your time spot (you walk through, place your order, they give it to you and find you a seat) but it was perfect for 2 who were looking for something filling to get us through a day of walking. Had a delicious bacon, blue cheese, and spinach omelet with home fries and a buttermilk pancake. The +1 had a big bowl of fresh fruit and a greek omelet. Both were outstanding and I would highly recommend this place.

After walking across the city we hit both Modern and Mikes Pastry. I have to admit, both of our preferences feel with Mikes here (particularly the Lobster Tail which was like a croissant filled with whipped creme/cannoli filling that had puff pastry ribbons wrapped around it :( ). I did enjoy the pistachio cannoli from Mikes, but I prefer a less sweet filling (like 2 Amy's back in DC).

Thanks again for the recommendations!

The +1 and I are headed to Boston for basically the first time this weekend (we both went in middle school, but remember virtually nothing about the trip). Saturday night we're meeting up with friends for dinner and going out, but we basically have Friday and Saturday lunches, plus Friday dinner to ourselves and don't know what to do.

Looking online I saw the Parish Cafe that looked really good (http://www.parishcafe.com/menu.html) and is near all of the touristy stuff we'll be doing, but hadn't heard much about it. Any other lunch recs along the Freedom Trail would be appreciated. Not sure if we'll head out to Cambridge one day or not.

One of my Boston friends recommended Giacommo's in the north end for dinner Friday, but they don't take reservations and apparently people wait like an hour outside to get seated. While I'm sure it's good, I don't really want to do that on a cold November evening. There's another Giacommo's that does take reservations I think, but we'd be up for something different. We'll likely be in jeans since we're packing light for the weekend, but don't mind paying a little extra since we're staying with friends instead of getting a hotel.

Anything not to be missed (food or site-wise)?

ETA: We're staying in Fenway Friday night and on Tremont St in the Theater District Saturday night

The +1 and I are headed to Boston for basically the first time this weekend (we both went in middle school, but remember virtually nothing about the trip). Saturday night we're meeting up with friends for dinner and going out, but we basically have Friday and Saturday lunches, plus Friday dinner to ourselves and don't know what to do.

Looking online I saw the Parish Cafe that looked really good (http://www.parishcafe.com/menu.html) and is near all of the touristy stuff we'll be doing, but hadn't heard much about it. Any other lunch recs along the Freedom Trail would be appreciated. Not sure if we'll head out to Cambridge one day or not.

One of my Boston friends recommended Giacommo's in the north end for dinner Friday, but they don't take reservations and apparently people wait like an hour outside to get seated. While I'm sure it's good, I don't really want to do that on a cold November evening. There's another Giacommo's that does take reservations I think, but we'd be up for something different. We'll likely be in jeans since we're packing light for the weekend, but don't mind paying a little extra since we're staying with friends instead of getting a hotel.

Anything not to be missed (food or site-wise)?

ETA: We're staying in Fenway Friday night and on Tremont St in the Theater District Saturday night

I thought Giacommo's was extremely overrated and definitely not worth the wait. It was pretty good, not great, and very cramped. I didn't get what the lines were all about.

The Freedom Trail cuts through the North End and you can follow your nose to whatever place is putting out good aromas. For a seafood treat, head over to Neptune Oyster House.

Back from Boston and had a marvelous time.

Highlights:

Pomodoro in the Northend for dinner on Friday evening. Reservations are a MUST at this postage stamp-sized restaurant. I think the dining room and kitchen could fit inside my tiny Capitol Hill living room, and the staff consisted of 5 people total (2 servers, 2 cooks and 1 dishwasher). This is right across from Mike's Pastry.

We walked in right at 7pm for our reservation, but had to wait right in front of the door for a minute or two as some tables cleared out. We were in the way of people leaving and of the coat rack, but didn't want to stand out in the cold...we were a bit jostled but it was nothing too bad, however one of the waitresses brought us each a glass of wine for the inconvenience. The dinner was off to a good start with delicious ciabatta-type rolls served with olive oil and olives. Our calamari app was also great, if a tad underseasoned. However, the fresh roma tomato sauce served as one of the dips (opposite a garlic aioli) was superb. After our calamari was gone (quite a generous serving), we were using our forks to very uncouthly scoop the leftover sauce into our mouths.

Our main courses of seared chicken with wild mushroom ragu and papardelle noodles and chicken carbonara were both great. Good-sized servings, but not too overwhelming. And although we were quite full, we were served complimentary tiramisu (seemed like everyone in the restaurant was getting it). The other caveat besides the size is that it is cash only. Definitely worth a visit though.

Parish Cafe, just west of the Public Garden, was perfect for Sunday lunch before we flew out. It doesn't open til noon on Sundays, and there was a line formed when we arrived around 11:50. Luckily it was a gorgeous day and we were able to sit outside to enjoy the warm weather. Sandwiches are a little on the expensive side, but I think worth it. We split a tenderloin sandwich with bleu cheese and a warm turkey wrap with bacon, dill havarti and cranberry-chipotle sauce. Yum.

Border Cafe in Cambridge was also a random stop on our trip (didn't feel like waiting at other places on a busy Saturday lunch time). Mexican and Cajun is an odd combination for a restaurant, but the chips and salsa were delicious, and my blackened catfish fajitas were a ton of food for the price.

Lowlight:

The Barking Crab was chosen by some friends who we were meeting, and while the food was fine, the service was atrocious and I don't think anything was worth the price. The large back deck/patio was closed (even though my friends thought it would be open with heaters and plastic walls), so the much smaller inside area was where we sat. I think I could've overlooked some of the worse parts of the meal if we were there in the summer enjoying eating outside.

The clam chowder was actually pretty good, and even the NH and Boston-ites agreed. The spiced peel and eat shrimp app was also tasty (although hard to mess up). My "Lobster BLT" consisted of a roll way too big for the amount of lobster included, and the fries were hardly worth wasting calories on. The biggest complaint was our pill of a waitress who obviously had no desire to serve our table of 9 (despite the fact we were ordering large amounts of food and drinks). When she messed up an order, she blamed it on the way my friend ordered the dish, then told her she could put it in again, but "it would take a while, and everyone else may be done eating by then." Seriously?!

All in all a good weekend in Beantown though with great weather and some pretty tasty food.

Has anyone been to Antico Forno in the North End recently, or can anyone recommend a good, moderately priced ($20-$30 entrees) Italian or seafood restaurant, with some local color, for a group of about 6-8 convention attendees? Any thoughts on B&G Oyster or Neptune Oyster House? Thanks very much.

Has anyone been to Antico Forno in the North End recently, or can anyone recommend a good, moderately priced ($20-$30 entrees) Italian or seafood restaurant, with some local color, for a group of about 6-8 convention attendees? Any thoughts on B&G Oyster or Neptune Oyster House? Thanks very much.

Visited it last month and overall the experience was decent. The Pollo Arrosto was very tender, but the Rigantoni Salsiccia e Ricotta was a bit lacking. The restaurant itself was extremely loud on a Friday night, so if you want to have a conversation, it's not the place to go. Antico Forno was a second choice since our intended restaurant in the North End was closed for a private party.

If you go, cab it to the North End and visit Mike's Pastries or Modern Pastry after dinner.

Another option closer to the convention center if you're willing to go up a bit in price is Sorellina's. A local friend recommended it, but there wasn't a chance to get to it during the visit.

Went to B&G for lunch a couple of months ago and loved it. Really nice assortment of oysters, the fried clam platter was the best we'd ever had - not at all greasy, light breading, extremely flavorful clams - and the greek yogurt panna cotta was to die for (I think it might have been passionfruit at that time, now it looks like they've got pear relish with it). Portions are normal size, based on the clam platter and what we saw other people order, so if you go really hungry, it won't be cheap. It's a small place, so you should probably make a reservation, though we walked in for an early lunch around 11:45 AM and got seats at the bar.

Next time I'm hoping to try Neptune for a comparison.

As usual, I have waited until the last minute to do any planning (not sure what's up with me as I am usually such a planner, too busy at work I guess). Anyway, I'm headed up to the Boston area for a seminar this weekend and will have one day to explore Boston. If you had the chance to eat only one meal in Boston, where would it be? No restrictions except for cost - I have friends joining me for whom money is tight. Doesn't mean it can't be somewhat expensive if there are options for them to make their meals more reasonably priced, just can't do Restaurant Eve/Komi type of expensive. A friend recommended Trattoria di Monica. I haven't looked into it yet, but she hasn't lived in the city for a few years and I hadn't mentioned any price restrictions when I asked her so I have no idea whether it will fit the bill.

I'm starting to read through back posts and look into places mentioned, but thought I'd put my query out. Thanks!

ETA: I just did some searching and both EVOO and Rendevous are looking good to me. Both seem to jive with my eat local/green values and get great reviews. Not sure if Rendevous has rez left, EVOO does. Any thoughts? Is one better than the other? Also still open to other suggestions.

Also now thinking about a place to pop in for a quick lunch - maybe something ethnic and cheap that's in a good sight-seeing spot (could I be more vague?)

Just wanted to share the wonderful dining experiences I had in Boston/Cambridge in case it's useful to anyone looking for a place in the future.

We unexpectedly ended up having lunch at Neptune's - just happened to start my walking tour of the city with my friend (who lives in Cambridge) in the area, he mentioned that one of his favorite places was nearby and when he told me it was Neptune's I figured it was a no brainer. We had some raw oysters to start - I have to admit that I really don't appreciate them, but of course the selection at Neptune's is great and the bartender was incredibly helpful in helping us identify which ones we might like. I ended up making my own "tasting" from their list and so I could settle the issue once and for all. The verdict: the West coast ones are okay, but I just don't really appreciate them. Now fried is another story and the Neptunes on Piggyback - perfectly fried oysters on a bed of pulled pork on a crostini with raisins and a pistachio aioli - were delicious. We also each had a bowl of clam chowder, which was filled with seafood-y goodness, but I will admit I am not a chowder expert so I can't really speak to how it compares to others.

Dinner ended up being at Rendevous and I was so pleased with that meal. I had the pork belly app w/cabbage and mustard seeds, which was incredibly rich and delicious followed by the pork/veal meatballs with toasted orecchiette that another poster mentioned. Wow, toasted pasta, what a revelation. This dish was outstanding. My only regret is that I accidentally left the leftovers in my friend's fridge when I headed back out of town. My friend had the lobster salad, followed by the lamb - both of his were quite good, but I think I "won". ;) Service across the board was friendly and attentive and the wine by the glass recommendations were spot on. I selected the bottle for our entrees and will admit I won on that one too - the aglianico paired perfectly with my orecchiette. Dessert was the lemon buttermilk pudding with huckleberry sauce, not to be missed. As we were leaving, I asked to see the manager and gushed to her about our experience because I was so pleased with the experience overall.

We visited Mike's several times last week for after-dinner sweets. Maybe the prices are reduced at night, but I was shocked that the cost of a cupcake was a mere $1.

When I was there last time we had a lobster tail, 3 cannolis, and another sweet or two that have escaped me and I think the order was under 12 bucks. I actually laughed when I paid and left a nice tip in the jar just b/c I'm so used to seeing any decent baked good priced above $3.

The service in the bar at Chez Henri tonight was really off, which is a massive letdown. Yes, today was Commencement, but unless one has a particularly progressive parental relationship, the bar at Chez Henri is not where one celebrates such an event, so it wasn't due to excessive celebratory crowds. On a Thursday night, though, there's no reason there should have been only one bartender in charge of the bar and the tables, particularly when every seat was filled and they were three-deep at the bar; we waited long enough for someone to take our cards that Godot could have shown up first and we'd have been less surprised. That said, I'm still glad that I dragged my girlfriends there for our first girls' night out of Reunion weekend. They all lived in the Quad but never went to CH in college; I, on the other hand, found every excuse I could to eat in the bar there both during school and after, when I lived right up the street.

And on that front, Chez Henri did not disappoint. The Rhum Cocktail Marilene, 8 Year Old Haitian Rum, Muddled Lime & Angostura Bitters Shaken & Served on Ice (all cocktails $9) is new since I was last there (in...2006? 2007? Eep) and a fantastic way to start the evening (especially since yesterday's CF of a workday and nine-hour drive did not end with a drink). The Periodista, Triple Sec, Apricot Brandy, Rum, Lime Juice, Shaken and Served with a Twist of Lime also stood the test of time. After that, the girls and I moved to a bottle of rosé on special, and were more than well served. (In fact, one of our foursome arrived late, having had to wait for her babysitter (read: husband) to get home, and when her water didn't arrive in a timely fashion, was comped her glass of wine, totally unnecessarily -- it was a grand gesture.)

We also managed to sample the Chicken Empanadas ($7) and Vegetable Pinchos ($8) to start. The pinchos were skewers of grilled okra, red onion, red bell pepper, mushroom, and squash, with a dressing halfway between crema and tzatziki -- and were delicious (thank goodness for the okra, which I love). The empanadas are three small, but perfectly executed, examples to a plate, with a mango-black bean salsa and a salsa fresca to accompany. I had to have my truly beloved Duck Tamale on Spinach Salad, Warm Bacon and Mustard Dressing ($11). This is one of my favorite dishes of all time -- actually the first dish I ate when I last returned from France, because nothing else would bridge the gap from the food in Paris to back home in Portland, ME, at the time. Big chunks of crispy/fatty bacon and a spicy dressing set off the confit of duck packed into the soft masa ... OK, I kind of want to go back and have it again tomorrow. The Grilled Homemade Chorizo over scallion mashed potato ($8) was another star of the evening. I'm kind of just sad we didn't make it to the conch fritters.

Yes, we were crammed into the door corner all night long and the service was ridiculously off-kilter (we easily would have gotten another round if anyone had asked instead of just dropping our check after clearing our plates, and we had to ask several times for forks for our main course rounds after the first ones were cleared with the apps), but I will come back to Chez Henri for their drinks and that freaking amazing duck tamale as long as I'm able to visit Harvard Square ... and I hope that will be for a good, long time.

(StephenB, I was thinking of you on my drive in yesterday; rest in peace, and don't let the Yalies get you down.)

I found myself starting the evening off at Temple Bar on Friday and again on Saturday. I used to love it here when I lived down the street; for the past year or so, under the leadership of Michael Scelfo, the quality and creativity have increased to the point that I'm legitimately disappointed I can't actually get here again before I leave.

The first drink I tried, A Little Taste of Cambridge Grey Goose Pears, Canton Ginger, Fresh Lemon ($10), was perfect at the end of a hot, humid day -- it had enough of the ginger kick to offset the sweetness of the drink overall. It went wonderfully with the Sesame Tuna Tartare, Togarashi Aioli, Avocado, Wakame Seaweed Salad, & House Kettle Chips ($13), nothing innovative but rather a well-executed rendition of the classic, with cubes of ruby-red tuna and silky avocado piled on the seaweed, and the chips adding a nice starchy crunch. Even better were the Espresso & Fig-Glazed "St. Louis" Ribs, Smoky Espresso Syrup, Creamy Slaw ($9), which came with five meaty ribs, the meat all but falling off the bones, and the glaze nicely balanced between bitter and sweet. The bartender recommended this dish and I was glad he did; he also made me what is thus far the best Sazerac ($8) I've ever had to accompany the dish.

We stuck to the bar and appetizer menu both nights, and the dish of the night the second night had to be the Red Wine Braised Colorado Lamb Shoulder, Crispy Fried Olives, Crostini ($9) from the appetizers. This was fantastically flavorful and, in fact, a large portion over a smoky, chunky tomato sauce, with the fried black and green olives giving a salty punch and crunch to play off the tender meat. The Blue Hill Bay Mussels, House Made Merquez Sausage, Herbed Tomato Broth, Grilled Bread ($10) showed up as a huge bowl of plump, not-too-large mussels, but the merguez was the star, seasoned forcefully but not with an overly heavy hand, and not so spicy or smoky that it overwhelmed the mussels.

I used to come to this place for a casual night out just down the street; my standbys were the calamari, the burger, the Caesar salad, and the fondue. Happily, all of these things are still on the menu, but tweaked. Having sampled the new items the chef has brought to the restaurant, I bet these are even better than they were before, and I wish I still lived close enough that I could drop in on a lazy Tuesday night when I don't feel like cooking.

Wound up at Rendezvous in Central Square last night. Had previously only had drinks and dessert there which were good but not great so I hadn't returned. Glad I gave it another chance. Split a Maine lobster and shrimp salad with blood orange, pomegranate, and frisee. This was outstanding. I'm considering going back for this tonight. The sweet shrimp, tangy orange, and peppery frisee made for a great blend. This was followed by duck three ways -- breast, confit, and garlic sausage. The sausage and confit were great, the breast was kind of bland. This dish fell flat because of the mushy, heavy beans with 2 small bits of carrot it was served on top of. I know it is winter and this screams hearty, but I thought it really needed something green to round it out. Serve half the beans and add some braised greens - still hearty but better balance. Dining companion got some sort of cod dish and cleaned his plate in a blink of an eye. He was also very pleased with his Storm King Stout.

My husband and I went to Rendezvous last night with his parents and sister. The four of them had had a meal there in 2008 that they enjoyed, and they wanted to go back. We had a last minute change of plans and ended up there on Sunday, when they have a fixed price meal ($38 for three courses), instead of the intended Saturday. Finding a parking space directly in front of the restaurant turned out to be a good omen for the night. The consensus was that last night's meal was even better than their previous experience. I was thoroughly wowed by it.

The items on the fixed price menu are all available at an a la carte price for those who don't want a prix fixe meal. I had the Mini-paella: shrimp, squid + mussels with chorizo and arroz negro valenciano to start and the Braised pork and veal meatballs with toasted orecchiette, maitakes and piave cheese (which is not listed on the online Sunday menu, only the regular one). The black rice made this paella something amazing--took it to another level, as it were. The meatballs and pasta were served in the braising liquid, with a spoon, and the broth made a lovely accompaniment. Orecchiette is not one of my favorite pastas, but the toasting did something that made it much more appealing to me. I had come close to opting out of the three courses because I don't often eat dessert. I'm glad I ordered dessert, though, because the Lemon-buttermilk pudding with huckleberry sauce was the superstar of an outstanding meal. It was a pudding cake that was mostly pudding/custard. I'm at a loss for words to describe the texture, but I want more :lol:. The lemon and buttermilk yielded a perfect tanginess that was balanced by the "just right" level of sweetness of the huckleberry sauce.

My MIL got the Gascon-style duck 3 ways: sliced breast, garlic sausage and confit leg and also commented on the lack of green accompaniment. I think potatoes were the only other thing on the plate. She almost didn't order this, much as she wanted it, because she wanted vegetables. She resolved this by getting the Spring pea and spinach soup with potatoes, baby carrots and hakurei turnips to start, giving her abundant veggies.

There were two orders of fish at the table, one for each the halibut and swordfish, and both were devoured. The chef does very well with fish and seafood. (One reason my MIL and SIL wanted to go back was for the skate, which they'd been raving about since the previous visit, but that wasn't available on the Sunday menu.) My husband started with the Grilled merguez sausage with spiced yogurt sauce, poached quince and mint, which is served on a skewer. He spent as much time inhaling the aroma as eating the food. (It did smell wonderful.) He also got Roast chicken with Moroccan spices, fresh garbanzo beans, leeks and spinach, which was a perfectly moist perfectly spiced half chicken.

The chef made great use of fresh herbs. The vegetation portions of the meal (including whole cooked leeks - Poireaux tièdes, vinaigrette dijonnaise-) seemed the equal of the proteins. (I'm realizing in retrospect that I didn't avail myself so much of the vegetables.) They had fresh Connecticut strawberries for Strawberry shortcake with sweetened cream, which a couple of people ordered. My husband went for the chocolate (Warm chocolate cake with chocolate sauce and cinnamon cream) and cleaned his plate, but I still say my lemon pudding was the best :blink:.

Service was very good. Our server spent a great deal of time going over ingredients for one person's dietary issues and was endlessly patient and helpful. But, the restaurant is too loud :D (That's the only negative I've got, but the acoustics in the space are problematic.)

Seems like a bunch of us were in Boston for the weekend! We had two very good (and very different) dining experiences I think are worth sharing.

The first was at Bengal Cafe. Inconveniently located about 7 blocks north of Porter Square on Mass Ave., this place is nevertheless worth seeking out for the hard-to-find Bengali specialties on the menu. We particularly enjoyed the shrimp "bharta" (which is basically mashed dried shrimp with mustard oil and spices; a bharta is basically a mash -- the most common ones you see on Indian restaurant menus are made from eggplant, but there are also egg bhartas, potato bhartas, fish bhartas, etc) and the Shorsha Hilsa (shorsha means mustard, and Hilsa is the name of the fish; you'll also see it sometimes called Ilich), a delicious strongly flavored fresh-water fish done with a mustard seed preparation. The fish is tasty, but the multitude of tiny bones makes it immediately obvious why this isn't more broadly available on restaurant menus. Still, while it takes some patience, it's worth working your way through. It's interesting, Bengali food can be wonderful, but it's so hard to find. I've been to many restaurants in the US that are run by Bengalis or Bangladeshis that just stick to the "standard" north Indian repertoire without a single Bengali staple on the menu.

The second experience was Sunday night at Erbaluce, a wonderful Italian restaurant located a few blocks from Boston Common. The menu apparently changes very frequently (there's no menu on the web site), but the chef focuses on drawing out flavors from fruits, vegetables, and especially, it seems, herbs, and using a light touch (no butter or cream is used). We loved the meal we had, which included lightly sauteed shad roe wrapped in speck and served with some tiny berries I couldn't identify, a shared pasta second course made with amazing fresh porcini mushrooms, and, the highlight of the night for me, a whole grilled mackerel served on a plate with a light citrus sauce and a mix of herbs, including mint and tarragon, that accentuated the flavor of the fish in ways I never would have imagined. It was really inspired. Dessert was meh. Anyone else tried this place?

The last night in Cambridge was with my dear, dear friend Sam at Hungry Mother. Sam has lived with me a few times in the past, and is an up-and-coming young home cook and learning about drinks and food, too -- let's say a burgeoning foodie of sorts. He had gone to this restaurant recently and loved it so much he said we had to go when in town -- it's Southern comfort food done with an incredibly refined sensibiilty, and in Boston that's even rarer than it is here -- and so we checked it out.

And hoo boy, Sam was right.

Sam told me beforehand that their cocktails were fantastic, so I was looking forward to it. They number the drinks instead of naming them, but that reflects an overarching element of humor and (somehow inoffensive) cleverness to the menu (food as well as drinks; more on this to come). After the weekend I'd had -- and seeing that they recommended it as a pairing on the dessert menu -- I ordered a Sazerac ($9), which was slightly less fantastic than what I had at Temple Bar, but still made spot-on and quite delicious. Sam had the No. 43, Old Overholt Rye, 10 yr Ferreira Tawny Port, maple syrup, bitters ($9.50), but he vastly preferred the No. 2, Maker's Mark, sorghum syrup, Luxardo Amaretto, boiled peanut ($9), which DarthJim started with. It was perfectly balanced and possessed a great depth of flavor that was, truly, awesome.

The drinks menu also includes the No. 99, Bartender's Choice ($10). This is essentially the speakeasy element; you get as vague or as specific as you like, and the bar sends you something. DarthJim asked for "smoky, I like whiskey, with some citrus" and got a drink comprising mezcal, green chartreuse, Rittenhouse rye, and orange curacao -- and it was exactly what he asked for and more. The only downside is that the time it took made our second round arrive in the middle of our entrees ... but honestly, it was worth the wait.

We started with the "To Tide You Over..." order of Spicy Pimiento Cheese ($4), which was an amuse just the right size for three people. Perfectly spreadable, with a kick, it was a traditionally Southern presentation and absolutely went with the first cocktails. Next we shared the Local Lettuces, cucumbers, radishes, cherry tomatoes, mint, cornbread croutons ($9) and the Pork Plate ($10), which that night was housemade bratwurst cooked in beer, served with homemade stone-ground mustard and a beer shot. All the pork items are made in-house and they are amazing; if you did nothing but eat the pork products (guanciale, ham, bacon) I think you would walk out incredibly happy.

For our main courses, I had the Carolina Rainbow Trout, hakurei turnips & greens, sea island peas, bacon ($24). It was outstanding, with the accompaniments absolutely spot-on to add all the flavor elements (the bitter greens, the umami long-cooked peas, and the salty, crispy bacon). The fish was so perfectly cooked that I didn't want to share it, but the Veal Blanquette, carrots, potatoes, toasted bread ($23) was also so delicious that I had to keep trading bites for pieces of wonderfully tender veal in an incredibly flavorful gravy. The Cornmeal Catfish dirty rice, mustard brown butter, chow chow ($18) arrived masterfully done, crispy and flaky and seasoned with an assured hand to avoid the trap of under-flavored or over-salted fish that so often happens with catfish, in my experience.

Amazingly, we had room to try dessert. I only tasted my own, the Rhubarb Cobbler, black pepper ice cream ($8), but the reason I didn't try the others is because mine was so good -- not overly sweet, which I dislike, but allowing the pure tart rhubarb to shine through, with a traditional cobbler topping and the mild spice hit of the black pepper ice cream -- that I refused to share. I have it on good authority that the other desserts are quite good, although one of the cakes erred on the side of a bit dry, for which the housemade mint ice cream more than compensated, and the Taza Chocolate Sundae, sorghum marshmallow, black walnuts, cherry on top ($8) was raised to an ethereal level by the bruléed sorghum marshmallow ... maybe not quite as good as jchao's at the recent picnic, but heavenly nonetheless.

This was the big blowout dinner, the "I haven't seen you in ages and we are going to tear. it. up." night on the town. We ended up back at Sam's place playing board games and drinking Kraken on the rocks after our multi-hour feast in a space that really feels like you're in the house of someone who just wants to feed you well: whitewashed brick walls, wooden floors and rustic tables, a staff who clearly cares what's going on, a kitchen bent on putting out incredible food (even on a Sunday night, which after reunion and Commencement weekend couldn't have been the biggest or most important night for them). I honestly wanted to go sit at the bar for the next three hours and just find out everything about this group, this place, that is doing what no one was doing in Cambridge when I left (except maybe Tony Maws, and funnily enough his new space is right around the corner). I am so impressed with this place .... I can't wait to go back.

We were in the Boston area a couple weeks ago and made two worthwhile stops. The first was the Hingham (South Shore) branch of Summer Shack, which is a small chain that started in Cambridge. Hingham is a pretty upscale place, so the restaurant's environs are (I think) less casual than its main outpost, but the food was relaxed and flavorful. One thing I fear when I eat at a chain is the availability of quality ingedients, but our heirloom tomatoes salad, french fries (that went with an ok corn dog), and raw oysters were all fresh and well-prepared. The best part was actually the oyster deal: 10 for $10 all through June. We almost went back a second time just for that deal.

For our anniversary, we wanted to go to Craigie on Main, but we looked at Open Table and couldn't get a reservation until 10PM, so we looked elsewhere and landed at Salts, which coincidentally was a half block from Craigie on Main. The chef at Salts was a Food and Wine Magazine Best New Chef in 2007 and his bio touts his influence by Ferran Adria, so I was intrigued. When we arrived for our 8:30 Friday reservation, we were surprised to find the place half empty. Our first courses--a $10 simple salad with a little feta cheese and a $16 gazpacho that was just fine--made us fear that we had made a mistake. But our entrees were perfectly cooked (seared scallops and halibut with a risotto) and full of flavor. Probably the highlight, though, was our shared lemon souffle dessert, which was spectacular. What a way to end. Our take aways from the meal were that 1) the chef seems to have toned down the gimmickery of molecular gastronomy so that these touches were more complements than the main feature, 2) most of the dishes were visually overwhelming with an overuse of edible flowers, 3) service was friendly and attentive, and 4) though the space is decorated with the first four items they saw at a Michaels craft store, it was a quiet and pleasant place for a romantic anniversary meal. I would recommend the restaurant.

When we saw that Craigie on Main was so close and still open, we decided to take a quick peak inside. As soon as you walk in the door, your senses are assualted by luscious and sensual food that is passed to the servers on a counter directly in line with the front door. Despite being stuffed, I started to drool. The next assault on the senses was the noise: lively and energetic, it probably wouldn't have been the best anniversary venue. But OH, that food! When we are back in town, we are definitely using the in-laws to babysit so we can go back and actually taste it. Before we left that night, we talked to the hostess and a server who both told us that not all their tables are available on Open Table (I should have thought of that and called); they leave all the bar area tables as well as the gallery-view booths that wrap the main dining room open for people to call in and reserve. This place was loud, lively, packed and serving lots of food after 11 PM when we left. Put this on your must-visit list when you're in town. I am.

When we saw that Craigie on Main was so close and still open {...}. Put this on your must-visit list when you're in town. I am.

I've been to Craigie when it was Craigie Street Bistrot (before it moved), and also peeked into the "new" (to me) place this last trip, when I was staying around the corner. Tony Maws turns out mind-blowingly good food, but he has yet to settle into a space that, I think, is totally right for him.

Still, I will absolutely go back next time ... just I'll also go back to Hungry Mother, too. And possibly get over to Boston again this time, and hit the old faves on the other side of the river. :)

I've been to Craigie when it was Craigie Street Bistrot (before it moved), and also peeked into the "new" (to me) place this last trip, when I was staying around the corner. Tony Maws turns out mind-blowingly good food, but he has yet to settle into a space that, I think, is totally right for him.

Still, I will absolutely go back next time ... just I'll also go back to Hungry Mother, too. And possibly get over to Boston again this time, and hit the old faves on the other side of the river. :)

I hear you about Hungry Mother. Salts was actually the fallback after the fallback. We had reservations for Hungry Mother for the night before we went to Salts, but we had to cancel b/c a sickness in the family ruled out our babysitters. I've heard/read such great things about Hungry Mother that we'd be equally excited to land a reservation again there, too. Can you comment about the atmosphere of Hungry Mother?

Can you comment about the atmosphere of Hungry Mother?

It was actually incredibly open-arms friendly -- I raved about it to my friend with a ten-month-old and she went there early on a Saturday night a few weeks later with no problem. Plus, the night we were there, a family with young (8 or 10 year old) kids was celebrating a family birthday when we arrived, with special birthday desserts and everything. The waitstaff was incredibly accomodating (from what we saw across the room, anyway) and just generally so friendly overall that it did not seem as though being there with kids, or a large family group, would be an issue.

The restaurants has appropriated an old townhouse so it really isn't stuffy at all, and the food may sound fancy but would totally appeal to the younger palate -- at least, of a kid who's used to dining out with at least more than just burgers and chicken fingers on the menu ... although it's possible they'd make those, too, just to keep people happy. It's clear that they want everyone to experience the food and to that end are more than accommodating.

We stayed in the suburbs for dinner last night at Aka Bistro Lincoln in...Lincoln. It's both a French bistro and a sashimi bar. It got a pretty good review in the Boston Globe earlier this year, so we decided to try it out.

The meal was quite enjoyable, though we stayed almost exclusively on the French side of the menu. My husband and his parents all got the $37 prix fixe bistro menu, which came in very generous portions. My in-laws both got the shrimp and avocado salad, which looked beautiful, with the eye drawn to a disc of avocado in the center of the plate with maybe four shrimp arranged around it. It was quite a large portion of salad. My husband started with the soup du jour: chilled tomato with herbs and vinaigrette. He had hanger steak for his entree, which he said was cooked very well and came with a bright array of baby vegetables--tiny pattypan squash, zucchini, and potatoes. His parents both got skate with brown butter, capers, and lemon, which they thought was good. For dessert they got creme brulee topped with some strawberries, which they raved about, and my husband got the chocolate mousse.

I deviated from the group by starting with Rock Shrimp Tempura from the sashimi bar menu. It was fantastic and also a large portion. Even after sharing, I couldn't finish it all. The shrimp were glazed with XO sauce aioli (which almost gave the appearance and surface consistency of sweet and sour shrimp--in a good way) and fried shallots and prosciutto dust. The tempura batter was strong enough to stand up to the glaze without becoming mushy. Oh, these were good :D .I kept trying not to think about how many calories the shrimp must have prepared this way. For my entree I had the Basque squid from the bistro menu. The presentation and flavors reminded me somewhat (again, in a very good way) of the "Sicilian lifeguard" calamari served at Babbo. The spiciness in the Aka squid came from chorizo scattered throughout the dish in a perfect, small dice. There were beautiful slivers of red and yellow peppers in a garlic and parsley sauce underneath the rings of squid. I almost managed to finish this, as it was not as large a portion as some of the other dishes. It was just about right, sizewise, for me.

There was a list of local suppliers on the chalkboard behind the sashimi bar, including a couple of farms in Lincoln itself. My husband, who was born and raised there (his parents moved away just a few years ago) tried a wine produced in the town. We had no idea anyone was producing wine there. According to our server, the owner of the vineyard has three acres for his grapes, two of them behind the town library. After a few sips, I'd say it was more successful as a novelty than as a pinot noir.* It was drinkable and, given the scale of the production, I suppose $13 a glass is reasonable. My husband was satisfied with it, though. The restaurant's wine list is mostly French, but we didn't look at it in much detail. (There is also a sake list.) I stuck with a lager from Nantucket. Not as local as behind the library, but refreshing with my meal.

The weakest point of the meal was the bread--individual torpedo rolls, which were extremely hard to tear into. The crust would not give. Once torn apart, however, the inside of the bread was fine, with a light sourdough flavor. The butter served with the rolls, however, was excellent.

With tax and tip, the meal averaged about $50 per person, a good deal given the quality of the food. This is definitely a restaurant we would return to when in the area next time.

*According to the vineyard's web site, this is the first vintage of Pinot Noir they have produced, and other of their wines have been winning awards for more than a decade, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about :) .