Boston and Cambridge, MA

On 8/25/2016 at 8:07 AM, Keithstg said:

Some quick updates from several recent trips to Boston:

First, No. 9 Park. Went for two visits, once for the tasting menu, once for the a la carte menu. In short, No. 9 continues to be my favorite restaurant in Boston. Intimate feel, staff who really "get it" and are very interested in the food and wine being served. Highlights from my visits were corn agnolotti and a really fantastic halibut dish, the details of which I've lost to time. Wine highlights were a Puffeney Poulsard, Paolo Bea Sagrantino, and a Monthelie for the a la carte dinner, producer forgotten. If you find yourself in Boston you could do much worse than booking a celebratory meal here.

Hard to believe how much time has elapsed on this thread. I'm part of the problem, since I've been to Boston a half dozen times this year and haven't gotten around to posting until now.

And only now to reiterate that the above remains true. Dinner at the bar at No.9 Park was different, yet familiar. Same great wine list, same excellent, personal service and fabulous conversation - different pasta preparations and Halibut preps (this one with a riot of morels) but still delicious and worth the time.

No. 9 is employing a coravin now and is offering several premium wines by the glass as well. Highlights of those were an '11 Allemand Cornas and a '12 Daguenaeu Sliex by the glass.

I'll be up at MIT Sloan for a week in early September.  Anyone have any recs for places (Craigie on Main is on the list) that are going to be walk-able from MIT?  I'm also fine hopping in an uber.  Its looking like I'll have 3 nights free to do some exploring on my own.

I'll add another close-in suburban restaurant here. My husband and his mother enjoyed dinner at Lumiere in West Newton last weekend. She wanted French that didn't involve going into Boston proper. I forget what he got, but she got the Herb-Roasted Half Chicken, which was enormous. They got additional meals out of the leftovers.

(He was happy to be in Boston when they won the World Series, even though it was in LA, and just as happy to miss the chaotic aftermath.)

On 4/20/2006 at 2:27 AM, ol_ironstomach said:

Good lord, the main thing Durgin Park is known for (besides its longevity) is the legendary brusqueness of its waitresses. Have they become kinder and gentler as well?!

Durgin-Park now closed. Obituary here.

• Sad 1

I'll be staying outside of Boston this week, nearest to Lowell (Chelmsford, specifically).  I aim to venture into the city proper for at least one meal, but does anybody here have experience with the area or advice on decent solo-diner-friendly places in the greater Lowell area?  I'll have a car, but not looking to fight rush hour traffic for dinner every night.  Thanks!

Driving up to Boston tomorrow to accompany my daughter to her post-college internship. Flying back mid-day Saturday, so I’ll have time for a couple of deals  

i understand there are hundreds of restaurants near the Copley Square area, which is where I booked a hotel. 

Any recommendations for a very short stay in Boston?

Thank you. 

As a follow-up, my daughter landed a great job in Boston. She looks forward to our upcoming visit, but denies that is because she will get a free meal or two. 

My wife and I will be there for three nights beginning next week. Mrs. reedm has requested Italian food at for at least two meals, so that's a starting point. We will be celebrating a wedding anniversary, so we are interested in a special occasion-ish restaurant as well.

I'd be grateful for any and all suggestions. 

We had a great time in Boston, and enjoyed some excellent meals. 

For starters, we took a 5 hour walking food and history tour, which was phenomenal. https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g60745-d14071143-North_End_Small_Group_Food_Tour-Boston_Massachusetts.html

Our dinner that evening at Coppa Enoteca https://www.coppaboston.com/ was superb in every way. It's a tiny place, but the food was inventive and delicious. I finished with a flight of amaro, which was eye-opening for me. 

We also very much enjoyed Barcelona Wine Bar, which even though it is a chain, provided a great brunch for all of us. At $90 for three of us, it was also a relative bargain.

We ate at a decent, but somewhat forgettable North End Italian restaurant, but I don't really recommend it.

Saturday evening, we endured the two hour wait to dine at Saltie Girl, which in my opinion, is somewhat similar to Swan Oyster Depot in San Francisco. It made for a very expensive evening ($300 for the two of us), but it was worth the cost. My personal highlight was the lobster and waffles dish, in which the waffle was even more memorable than the lobster! Getting on the wait list was a minor pain, but the service was great after we were seated. 

Finally, we grabbed a slice at the original Regina's, which was one of the best pizza slices I can recall. 

• Like 1

We had a great time visiting Boston last weekend.  Trillium and Night Shift are outstanding breweries and Cambridge Brewing solid.  We walked the freedom trail so cannoli's at Mike's in the North End were great, the line not so great.  Boston has a really good young vibe, very happy that my son has joined a start-up engineering firm on the MIT campus.   Night Shift was voted best pizza in Boston and their Detroit style pizza was really good.

I like Hazy New England IPAs so all the beers were great.

• Like 2