What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Boilermakers, one after the other. Budwieser, Jim Beam, Budwieser, Jim Beam, etc....maybe a Jim Beam, Jim Beam mixed in for effect :angry:

Try some Old Forester. Less sweet than Beam.

Oh, and I had some Yalumba Viognier tonight with basil pesto and pasta.

Malt Trust Rosebank 15yo...58.4%abv (dash of water). From a dormant Lowland distillery. This is unbelievably complex, with rose, orange blossom, golden raspberry, honey, and vanilla over a firm malt and dry-spice backbone. There are bottles of this (Malt Trust is the bottler, Rosebank the distiller) available at Astor in New York. $109.99 a bottle, and worth every penny. A genre-defining Scotch, from one of my two favorite distilleries. And to think, Diageo chose crap-ass Glenkinchie over this place. Fie, fie on Diageo.

[Moderator is permitted to replace 'fie' with a much more appropriate 'f' word.]

It is 8 PM.

I am in New York City.

Three of us are assembled on 57th between 7th & 8th.

We sipped a 1990 Clos St-Hune with some Spanish almonds.

Gary pulled out his four-million dollar Stradivarius and played the Bach D-minor Chaconne.

Sasha served me my birthday wine that he had stood up for two years, then gave up and laid back down, and now has had stood up for three months.

Gary and I guessed Pomerol. Stewed Tomatoes, chorizo-paprika spice, ripe but persistent tannins. I thought from the 1940s.

Thank you, Sasha, for this bottle of 1961 La Chapelle.

And thank you both for reminding me that your friendship is more important than any fleeting piece of music or transient glass of wine.

Oh man oh man oh man,

Rocks.

2005 Domaine de la Mordorée, Lirac, "Reine des Bois". Deep dark purple and tight as hell with substantial tannins. Opened up nicely after two hours showing plenty of dark fruit with a peppery finish. Overall a nice wine, but I wouldn't open another one up for a couple of years.

Jameson's, rocks.

Nothing helps clot a work-induced melting brain quite like it. Slainte!

last night.. Domaine Leroy Le Montrachet 1969,, this was a knock out !!!!!!! :blink::P blind tasted and thought early mid 70's, so goes to show, has plenty ahead. (actually was the maison wine... white label stuff) either way, dont turn your nose, use it, next to a Mastroberadino Taurasi 1983 (WOWOWOOWOWOOW!!!!!)

2005 Domaine de la Mordorée, Lirac, "Reine des Bois". Deep dark purple and tight as hell with substantial tannins. Opened up nicely after two hours showing plenty of dark fruit with a peppery finish. Overall a nice wine, but I wouldn't open another one up for a couple of years.

Here's a tip: if you want to drink 2005 reds now, open them just after you finish your coffee in the morning before heading to work. Should be quite palatable around sevenish.

Anchor Distilling Co., "Old Potrero," Single Malt "Hotalings" Whisky 11-year-old. Made from 100% malted rye. One of the most nervous whiskies I've ever tasted.

Note to Potrero-heads: there is now a 12-year-old Hotalings. Amazing stuff, richer than the 11, luxuriant. I've only seen it at LeNell's in Red Hook, Brooklyn, however.

The "unusual negroni" from today's Washington Post: one part each gin (I used Hendrick's), Lillet Blanc, and Aperol, stirred over ice. It is a nice twist on an old favorite, and very refreshing. My only regret is that the recipe wasn't printed back in, oh, say, late June when the weather was beastly hot.

Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2006

Since I had it and today seemed to be the last day of summer, I decided to open it. I like it. I don't know how it will go with the reheated porkchops and stuffing, but it goes quite well with my overheated self.

Chateau Lafayette Reneau - 51% Seyval, 49% Chardonnay. Nice and inexpensive, a good everyday white. It's a really crisp white from the Finger Lakes region of New York. An area that is often overlooked :blink: ...but if you dig deep enough there are some high quality producers up there.

The last of my go-shu blue sake from australia :blink: I looove this stuff and now I am out. Not quite sure what I am going to do now...

Trying the Entire line up of the Coro Mendocino Winery in Mendocino. Some are fun, and some need work. That is best part about new projects, the ability to improve upon them.

Last night, of which I am still very much feeling the effects of:

Krug Grande Cuvee (old bottle style)

1996 Dom

2004 Chapoutier Ermitage le Meal Blanc

2001 and 2002 Shafer’s Stag’s Leap Cabernet

2001 and 2002 Shafer’s Hillside Select

2001 d’yquem

Simply stunning night of drinking.

Last night, of which I am still very much feeling the effects of:

Krug Grande Cuvee (old bottle style)

1996 Dom

2004 Chapoutier Ermitage le Meal Blanc

2001 and 2002 Shafer’s Stag’s Leap Cabernet

2001 and 2002 Shafer’s Hillside Select

2001 d’yquem

Simply stunning night of drinking.

Very good stuff, just curious about the d'yquem. That is a baby...how was it?

Very good stuff, just curious about the d'yquem. That is a baby...how was it?
While I was a bit fuzzy by the time we got to it, I do remember it was very good for such a young wine. The host made a last minute change he was going to serve the 2001 Climens which I was quite excited about trying, but it is also way too young. I have bottles of both and do not anticipate opening either for at least another 10 years.

taking care of the little boy tonight (4 months old). so I got into my secret stash of Bundaberg Ginger Beer imported from australia into the wonderful 'world market' (and its not that diet shite either!). Following that up with some loose leaf Majulighur TGFOP tea. mmmmmmm.... Ginger beer in America is such a disappointment :blink:

'06 Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy Shiraz, '04 Branson Coach House Block Shiraz 2004

The Mollydooker is good, but a bit more fruit than I like up front, and showing the 16% a bit. The BCH....is awesometown. I don't know much about wine, but I know that I love this. Big, punchy, but not overly fruity, and with a beautiful dry blackberry finish.

A co-worker just got back from a trip to cali, where he ordered a ton of wine. Wine Fridays are his new policy designed to help empty out some of his stock. I like Wine Fridays.

Wednesday night was single malt before the game, hoppy California beer during. Thursday night was hoppy California beer before the game, single malt during. I'm going back to Game 1 karma. Game 2 karma, while positive, is just too stressful. Besides, beer looks more like DIRTY WATAH!

Go. Sox.

I have a a few cases of the 1998 Michel Perraud Cornas le Vignon and cracked a bottle a month or so ago and really thought it was not ready, in my opinion. Going to let them sit a bit more....

Well Senor Nut, all I can say is that the 1997 is rockin now. Can't speak to the 1998 though. Most of my focus in 98 has been down south.

30 year old Laphroig thanks to some great guys (you know who you are!) :blink:

This is the finest single malt I've had the good fortune to drink. Picked up three bottles a few years ago, intending to keep them for "special occasions". Amazing how every day became a special occasion when this was sitting in the cabinet. :P

Those are truly some fine friends.

Trimbach Riesling Alsace 2005. Transparent, intricate, floral. Bone dry. Despite its seeming ubiquity in the USA (thanks to a 40year relationship with Seagrams/Diageo), Trimbach is only the 22nd biggest wine producer in Alsace. And it's one of the best value. $12.99 at Wegmans. And yummy! :blink:

Found a bottle my wife had "misplaced", it was a Biltmore Estate Zinfandel Blanc De Noir. No year on bottle but was purchased in 99 or 00.. so Guessing its probably a 99ish.

Not quite sure what to make of it. I'm not a great zinfandel fan. It seemed fairly dark for a rose wine. I wouldnt buy it again, nothing against it but nothing compelling for it either.

I should have learnt that my house doesnt turn up 'hidden' treasures in the backs of cupboards by now.

Found a bottle my wife had "misplaced", it was a Biltmore Estate Zinfandel Blanc De Noir. ...

Not quite sure what to make of it. I'm not a great zinfandel fan. It seemed fairly dark for a rose wine. I wouldnt buy it again, nothing against it but nothing compelling for it either.

Welcome to the American horror that is white zinfandel, "a popular choice with those who would not otherwise drink wine." :blink: