What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

St. Germain, Bombay Saphire, Fever Tree tonic & peach bitters. Need to come up with a name because this will be come a regular in my rotation.
I've been introducing my L.A. friends to the "zoratini" which is Hendrick's gin, dry vermouth (I use Dolin at home, but haven't found it here), St. Germaine and a twist.

A Filibuster: rye, lemon, maple syrup, egg white and dash of Angostura, well shaken. I find it tart, but refreshing, despite it's milkshake color and consistency.
I don't make a lot of cocktails, but I happened to have made one of these awhile back too, from this recipe. Liked it quite a lot, but agree that it tart-- I might cut back on the lemon juice next time.

I guess I'll stick in my yearly plug for Domaine Sorin Rose Cotes de Provence. The 2008 has landed (thanks to biggest-and-best-of-the-smalls Roanoke Valley Wine Company) and is available in VA and DC for around $15 (including at Mr. Riley's house of joyful yumminess). It's just a tiny step up in fruit level from the delicious '07, but plenty of refreshing acidity. And, it held up well in the fridge for a couple of days, just in case you can't get through that third bottle before switching to gin :rolleyes:.

I guess I'll stick in my yearly plug for Domaine Sorin Rose Cotes de Provence. The 2008 has landed (thanks to biggest-and-best-of-the-smalls Roanoke Valley Wine Company) and is available in VA and DC for around $15 (including at Mr. Riley's house of joyful yumminess). It's just a tiny step up in fruit level from the delicious '07, but plenty of refreshing acidity. And, it held up well in the fridge for a couple of days, just in case you can't get through that third bottle before switching to gin :rolleyes:.

$12.99 at Bassin's. Best price I have seen for it this year.

Stockyard Oatmeal Stout, from Stockyard Brewing in Chicago. Rich flavor, good mouthfeel, nice bitterness and only $5.99 for a six-pack at Trader Joe's. (I know the economy's on the rebound, but still. . . )

Edited to add - I know this sounds like an ad, but I have no affiliation with Trader Joe's. On the other hand, I love Trader Joe's, so it probably won't be my last reference to them. . .

A gorgeous 50-50 dry martini accompanied by pickled asparagus and carrots; a bacon, lettuce, and tomato cocktail that went down too easy; a tropical carrot cocktail, and chocolate mojito for dessert. Well, maybe not right now, but a few hours ago. Derek Brown and Todd Thrasher gave a presentation at the Smithsonian this evening on "Pairing Food with Cocktails." They are an engaging duo on the lecture circuit, and the drinks they prepared for 160 people were excellent. I could live on the BLT cocktail: bacon vodka, tomato water, and lettuce water ice cubes. All told, an educational, enlightening, and fun evening.

Week of May 24, 2009

It seems as if Summer's already here, but don't let this week's DC weather report rain on your dinner plans. Get out and grill. And if you're preparing steak, dust off a bottle of Brunello and enjoy. It's not doing any good laying around in your cellar.

:D

Week of May 24, 2009

It seems as if Summer's already here, but don't let this week's DC weather report rain on your dinner plans. Get out and grill. And if you're preparing steak, dust off a bottle of Brunello and enjoy. It's not doing any good laying around in your cellar.

:D

I dunno, it feels like dolcetto season to me :blink:

I liked what I've tried from Ommegang [and, as a huge baseball fan, should drive out to Cooperstown some time] thus far, so bought their Witte at Harris Teeter this evening. Don't really like it. Almost seems too hoppy for my tastes, which is odd to me for a wietbier. Then again, I'm not a hophead at all.

I liked what I've tried from Ommegang [and, as a huge baseball fan, should drive out to Cooperstown some time] thus far, so bought their Witte at Harris Teeter this evening. Don't really like it. Almost seems too hoppy for my tastes, which is odd to me for a wietbier. Then again, I'm not a hophead at all.

1) the brewery is totally worth a visit. gorgeous grounds.

2) unless they have drastically changed the recipe, you're not tasting hops in any appreciable quantity. maybe it's a more-than-expected bitterness from the orange peel?

1) the brewery is totally worth a visit. gorgeous grounds.

2) unless they have drastically changed the recipe, you're not tasting hops in any appreciable quantity. maybe it's a more-than-expected bitterness from the orange peel?

Yeah, I have no idea what it is. Some off taste I can't identify. I do like other wietbiers [Hoegaarden is okay, I love Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly].

I'm thinking about wine/cheese pairings tonight. I've heard that salty asiago or gorgonzola would be a good match for Prosecco. That the opposites of salty and slight sweetness is ideal. But has anyone tried this Spumante with mascarpone? Maybe I'll just pick up a bottle and serve it with various berries. Might make a nice and refreshing aperitif.

I wish I were in Spain right now. I've always thought of it as exotically stuck in the 1970s...the clothes, the cars, etc. Except for the wine that is. And not just the Rioja and Ribera del Duero. I'm in love with Albarino, which may surprise my friends because I rarely drink whites. Chardonnays are too popular, Pinot Grigio is too plain, but there's something about the flavor of Albarino. Maybe it's the taste of peaches and vanilla that draws me back. I don't know. Anyway, I think I'm going to have a little tapas party this weekend. Serve up some fried almonds, a bit of Manchego or Mahon cheese, sit outside and just enjoy the day. Have fun.

I tried the Troegs Hopback Amber Ale yesterday, admittedly on the strength of its Washington Post Beer Madness (or whatever it was called) win. I liked it a lot - very hoppy, but with a strong focus on the hops' floral notes which kept it drinkable to the bottom, without too much of the bitter buildup that I sometimes encounter with a heavily-hopped beer. It reminded me of the DogfishHead 90 minute IPA in that way.

2002 Chateau de Lussac, Lussac Saint Emilion. A little funky and horsey with tons of torrefaction and some really pretty fruit.

Tons of torrefaction? Can anyone translate this wine-speak?

From an online source...

tor⋅re⋅fy

–verb (used with object), -fied, -fy⋅ing.

1. to subject to fire or intense heat; parch, roast, or scorch.

2. Pharmacology. to dry or parch (drugs) with heat.

3. to roast, as metallic ores.

None of which sound good when it comes to wine.

Tons of torrefaction? Can anyone translate this wine-speak?

From an online source...

tor⋅re⋅fy

–verb (used with object), -fied, -fy⋅ing.

1. to subject to fire or intense heat; parch, roast, or scorch.

2. Pharmacology. to dry or parch (drugs) with heat.

3. to roast, as metallic ores.

None of which sound good when it comes to wine.

Sorry. roasted coffee.

RUM!!!

Thanks, Jake!

La Favorite rhum agricole blanc

Flor de Caña 4-year-old-white

Appleton V/X

El Dorado 15-year-old

Neisson rhum agricole vieux “Reserve Speciale”

Ti-punch: Half-dollar-sized slice from side of a lime, dollop Martinique cane syrup, 2oz rhum agricole (blanc, paille, or vieux). Stir in the glass to combine and add ice.

Daiquiri: 2oz white rum, ½ oz. lime juice, ¾ oz 1:1 simple syrup. Shake and fine-strain.

Brunswick Sour: Make a daiquiri, then float a small amount of red wine.

Bacardi Cocktail: 1 ½ oz white rum, ¾ oz lime juice, ¾ oz 1:1 simple syrup, ¼ oz homemade grenadine. Shake and fine-strain.

Rum and Tonic: Just what it says…with a wedge of lime!

Mai Tai: 2 oz. aged rum, ½ oz lime juice, ½ oz Cointreau (or other orange liqueur), ½ oz orgeat (homemade if possible). Shake with a few ice cubes and pour into a cold rocks glass or tiki mug. Optional: float a small amount of dark rum.

RUM!!!

Thanks, Jake!

Thanks, Daniel and the non-DR faces around the table.

What's the name of the final, Katrina-survivor rum? Does Joe Riley at Ace have it [he has all the others] or is it something special from Jake's personal cache?

David Bruce Pinot Noir Truchard Vineyard 2000 - soft, silky, fairly big

Ridge Carignane 2000 Buchignani Ranch - huge, ripe, luse blackberry & bacon flavors

Silvio Nardi Brunello 1997 - smooth, well balanced, just starting to show mature characteristics

Rinaldi 1996 Barolo (Infanticide!!)

Kistler Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Valley Estate 1985 - still a bit of unresolved oak but not an oak monster Started big and lush and warm, evolved to very supple with loads of black fruit, spice & smoke. Has aged better than I have since original purchase.

Last night, Chef, Ruffino (our sous), Michael, Sebastian and I dined after service to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. Chef whipped up some crab salad, tomato salad, porterhouse steaks and rapini, and I brought the wines:

2001 Peter Michael Cuvee Indigene Chardonnay

1996 Domaine Leflaive Puligny Montrachet Pucelles

1986 Chateau Lafite Rothschild

2001 Usseglio Chateauneuf Du Pape Deux Freres

2002 Bryant Family Cabernet

2001 Greenock Creek Roennfeldt Road Shiraz

I won't bother giving detailed tasting notes - anyone so wishing can contact me directly. I will say that they went from strength to strength - not one was less than spectacular. For me, the wine of the evening was the Usseglio Deux Freres - as good a Chateauneuf as I have ever had, and I drink a sh*tload of CDP. It was followed closely by the Roennfeldt Road, a stunning and truly unique expression of syrah and unlike any other wine I have tasted. Cheers!!

A Charlie Lindbergh cocktail. It's OK, but I won't make it again. It actually smells better than it tastes.

I searched a couple of cocktail recipe websites and couldn't find this, so now you will need to satisfy my curiosity--what's in it? And what inspired you to make it?

It's in the Savoy, so it's on Erik Ellestad's site, the Underhill Lounge, and I found it on Cocktail DB as the "Charles Lindbergh" when I was searching for recipes that use bitters other than Angostura.

1 1/4 oz gin

1 oz Lillet Blanc

1/4 oz apricot brandy

1 dash orange bitters

The inspiration came from the four bottles of interesting bitters I got this week, and the fact that I happened to have all the ingredients on hand. I've got a list of about eight new drinks I'm going to try, and I'm hoping to find something new and different that I will like well enough to make again. This is really delicate and light, and on the heels of all the strongly flavored rum drinks I've been making lately, it just seemed lacking somehow.