What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Bourbon milk punch. I included a recipe for a frozen version in my post yesterday on The Hill is Home, which got me craving the non-frozen version. It's great before bed - and great at brunch!

The recipe on The Hill Is Home sounds great--but is the amount of vanilla extract correct? A quarter CUP?

Michel Chignard 2007 Fleurie "Les Moriers" 2007. To be followed up by some delicious Château de Castex 15 yr Armagnac from Alchemist. Gordon Wright is the man.

The Alchemist Calvados is beyond amazing! And the Port Charlotte is a strong argument against over aging of scotch. It is only 5 years old. Unfortunately a one time thing.

I need to talk to Jake P. I have a decidedly defective bottle. It is evaporating! Where is a St Bernard with a barrel of Rowan Creek when you need it. I may have to drink Willets 6 at this rate!!

Methinks the angels take a bit more than their share from the whiskies. Of all our still-full miniature liquor bottle tree ornaments, the bottles of Johnnie Walker Black and Red were decidedly emptier than all the others.

2 Turtle Doves (Belgian style dark ale brewed with cocoa nibs and toasted pecans) from The Bruery. I am really starting to dig them a LOT.

I take it back. This one is NOT doing it for me. Pretty harsh aftertaste. Maybe it will get better with age but hard to tell. I will stick with their Saison Rue.

There's just something (*) about sipping a Chimay <<Première>> at 4:24 AM, just having finished adding new members after a rough week with the MacBook.

(*) cool, odd, "off," weird, fun, guilt-inducing, shameful, devil-may-care, as you wish

They say that insomnia is a common plague among some of history's greatest minds; there's also a mathematical concept that any tautology can be debunked by one counterexample.

I'm here to say that I am that counterexample.

Not minding it so much right now.

Drinking over the last few days --

1971 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Beerenauslese (lemon...lime...lemon custard...key lime pie and, later, bright green apple)

1978 Ridge Calif. Zinfandel Late Harvest 10.5% Residual Sugar half bottle (essence of blackberries; licquer like but not heavy)

1998 Grand Corbin Despagne

1993 Bacharacher Wolfshohle Riesling Spatlese - Ratzenberger

1971 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Beerenauslese (lemon...lime...lemon custard...key lime pie and, later, bright green apple)

That should have been awesome. I recently had a 1971 Schloss Eltz BA that I bought from David Schildknecht back in his Pearson's days. While amber in color (and I'll bet your Prum was not this dark), it was still fresh as a daisy.

I was looking for this topic yesterday morning, but couldn't find it. Anyhoo, I was enjoying a glass of Toigo's Birth of Pain Bloody Mary mix (sans vodka) with a squeeze of lime and a stalk of celery.

Awesome. Hot. Heat. A great way to start the day, and with a bit of vodka, a great way to start the weekend.

That should have been awesome. I recently had a 1971 Schloss Eltz BA that I bought from David Schildknecht back in his Pearson's days. While amber in color (and I'll bet your Prum was not this dark), it was still fresh as a daisy.

It was a lovely mahogany. When David S left, Pearson's had an astonishing sell off - all their German wines at 50%, which I didn't believe until I got to the store to find myself with others on a snowy evening rummaging in the dusty upstairs bins through a treasure trove of BAs and TBAs. David had offered to swap some of those for a wine I had - a 1964 Von Simmern Rauentheler Herberg TBA. I believe this vineyard was merged into Baiken under the 1971 German changes. The 1964 we had - with some trepidation as to age - about two years ago. We are forever indebted to anonymous grape pickers harvesting grapes in the deep fall/winter of 1963 who created the thing of beauty we enjoyed in 2007. Sometime soon: 1959 Steinberger TBA (color is said to be dark bordering on black).

50 degrees - not so much what I'm drinking, but the temperature at which I'm drinking it.

For a while, I've tried to drink my red wines a bit cooler than mid-Atlantic room temperature and my white wines a fair amount warmer than fridge temperature (I used to fridge them for a couple of hours before drinking if they had previously been at room temperature or took them out of the fridge some time before drinking if that's where they'd been). I recently got a second fridge/freezer, in part for the freezer space and in part to make a sort-of-wine-fridge. Turned up to its warmest, the fridge is right around 50 degrees, which cuts down on the need for my pre-wine drinking hijinks. None of this really bears mention, except for one thing -

I had some extra space in the fridge (mainly on the door), so I threw in some beers, figuring (1) the darker and heavier ones would be fun to try at that temperature and (2) it would give me a head start on chilling the lighter ones I didnt otherwise have room for in my regular fridge. The really surprising thing is that I seem to like almost all of my beers at this warmer temperature. The darker ones are richer and fuller and even the light, hoppy ones have a much more interesting flavor profile theyre deeper and more complex and the hops are a less dominating part of the overall taste. Admittedly, I haven't needed a really cold I-just-mowed-the-lawn-beer yet - I got the fridge is November - but for most everything else, I'm definitely sticking with not-as-cold. Who knew?

I recently got a second fridge/freezer, in part for the freezer space and in part to make a sort-of-wine-fridge. Turned up to its warmest, the fridge is right around 50 degrees, which cuts down on the need for my pre-wine drinking hijinks. None of this really bears mention, except for one thing -

If the humidity is kept at about 75%, IIRC, you can also use your fridge as a cheese cave. The biggest impediment to home cheesemaking--anything beyond fresh cheese, like ricotta, mozzarella and chevre--is curing space at the right temp and humidity level. Your beer/wine fridge sounds perfect.

If the humidity is kept at about 75%, IIRC, you can also use your fridge as a cheese cave. The biggest impediment to home cheesemaking--anything beyond fresh cheese, like ricotta, mozzarella and chevre--is curing space at the right temp and humidity level. Your beer/wine fridge sounds perfect.

That's a great idea, but do you have any idea of how I can get the humidity that high? I've put a bowl of water in the fridge, but that only gets me to about 25%. It would seem I'd need some sort of misting-type device to get up that high. . .

Be sure to keep good track of what you have as the temps you are storing the wines at will be an ideal atmosphere for mold to develop. Nothng like having no idea of whats int he bottle because the label is back with mold.

Good point; thanks.