What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Domaine de Couron Côtes du Rhône Blanc 2009, also labeled Viognier for us Americans. :) My new strategy for choosing whites is paying off. Ask the knowledgeable salesperson, and say that I don't want another oaky chardonnay or acidic sauvignon blanc. They're coming up with some lovely, lush whites.

Serpent Ridge Albarino - up there for a MD wine, but I'm thinking I may need to switch to something else soon.

Tangent Grenache Blanc 2009. Another keeper. Thinking of spring.

Where is this from? For a moment I thought I knew the winery, but realized I was thinking of Tandem out of CA. I do like a well made grenache blanc.

Dolium Malbec '09. Densely fruity and really dry.

Reserve? If not, if you like that one, you should try the reserve. Grapeseed offers it by the glass.

Domaine de Couron Côtes du Rhône Blanc 2009, also labeled Viognier for us Americans. :) My new strategy for choosing whites is paying off. Ask the knowledgeable salesperson, and say that I don't want another oaky chardonnay or acidic sauvignon blanc. They're coming up with some lovely, lush whites.

You should try an Arneis (Piedmont, Italy) or a Soave Classico (Veneto, Italy)--both are also lush/full, low acid wines.

Where is this from? For a moment I thought I knew the winery, but realized I was thinking of Tandem out of CA. I do like a well made grenache blanc.

It's from California, and I bought it at Unwined in Bradlee. (Full disclosure - we are friends with the owner.)

You should try an Arneis (Piedmont, Italy) or a Soave Classico (Veneto, Italy)--both are also lush/full, low acid wines.

I had a glass of Soave at Monroe's the other night. I expected to be disappointed (flashback to 1980's Soave Bolla ads), but I've never had a glass I didn't enjoy from their special selections, so I gave it a go. I was pleasantly surprised.

I expected to be disappointed (flashback to 1980's Soave Bolla ads)

I was not aware of soave's negative history until after I found Stefano Inama's wines. He makes three: "Classico", "Vigneti di Foscarino" and "Vigneto du Lot". All are outstanding and I was surprised to learn the reputation the varietal had. Grappoli Imports [an impressive Italian portfolio] brings them into this market. They range from about $15 to $35. I buy them at Arrowine in Arlington. It is worth seeking them out!

I accidentally made a cocktail I'm calling "The Penultimate Word". My plan was to make a Last Word but grabbed the yellow chartreuse instead of the green. It was actually very good, but not exactly what I wanted. It's a good drink for a person who likes some herbal funk, but not too much. The yellow chartreuse made the drink sweeter than I wanted, but it was very drinkable. It'll be a good starter cocktail for some. Equal parts of gin (I used Plymouth), yellow chartreuse, lime juice and maraschino liqueur. Please credit me if you make it a new "classic" :-)

Following myself, B) albeit with a non-alcoholic option. My parents visited recently and left me a box of Meyer lemons from their tree. They are verging on overripe and need to be used, so we are drinking them. Meyer lemon juice, maybe 4 oz, 1 oz of Demerara simple, and sparkling water to the top of a tall glass. I can see this being fantastic with gin, but I need a couple without after tonight's hot weather run.

Following myself, B) albeit with a non-alcoholic option. My parents visited recently and left me a box of Meyer lemons from their tree. They are verging on overripe and need to be used, so we are drinking them. Meyer lemon juice, maybe 4 oz, 1 oz of Demerara simple, and sparkling water to the top of a tall glass. I can see this being fantastic with gin, but I need a couple without after tonight's hot weather run.

Mmmm...those were our daily mainstays during Meyer Lemon season. I used about 1 oz of juice, 1/2 oz of simple syrup, 1 1/2 oz of Plymouth Gin and topped up with club soda. Fan-frikkin-tastic. Your lemonade sounds great.

Mmmm...those were our daily mainstays during Meyer Lemon season. I used about 1 oz of juice, 1/2 oz of simple syrup, 1 1/2 oz of Plymouth Gin and topped up with club soda. Fan-frikkin-tastic. Your lemonade sounds great.

I've never gotten a glut of lemons this late - there were hundreds last season, and they pulled them off last week because the tree was flowering again. (There are various hypotheses on picking or not.) They are riper than I've ever had them, and softer/less acid in flavor. It makes it easier to make a more intensely lemon-flavored drink without making the Wile E Coyote alum face. I'll try the gin tonight and wish I had a giant greenhouse where I could store my potted citrus in the winter.

Just had some friends over to drink our California bounty...

B.R. Cohn Reserve Chardonnay

Sweetwater beers (IPA, 420, Sh'wheat, and Motorboat)

Rosemary peach champagne cocktails

Tequila grapefruit cocktails

And of course, the best thing we brought home from CA...PLINY THE ELDER!!! SO good. Pissed I can't get it here.

And of course, the best thing we brought home from CA...PLINY THE ELDER!!! SO good. Pissed I can't get it here.

You could've subsidized your trip if you'd packed an extra suitcase, let some of us Rockwellians know you were going and let us know the going rate for a few bottles of Pliny. I'm jealous!

You could've subsidized your trip if you'd packed an extra suitcase, let some of us Rockwellians know you were going and let us know the going rate for a few bottles of Pliny. I'm jealous!

The brewery's website says they sell to a distributor in Philadelphia:

Philadelphia, PA

Distributor: Origlio Beverage

215-698-9500

Is it just the Pliny that's not available on the East coast?

The brewery's website says they sell to a distributor in Philadelphia:

Philadelphia, PA

Distributor: Origlio Beverage

215-698-9500

Is it just the Pliny that's not available on the East coast?

It is my understanding that you can get Pliny in two places - California and Pennsylvania. I don't know how easy it is to find in Philly, but even in San Francisco, we had to go to 5 shops before we found one that actually had the bottles in stock. Perhaps the next Rockwellian who visits Philly can explore and report back? I'm in Atlanta, so I'm SOL either way, now that our small stash is gone. :-) When my sis and bro-in-law visit for Thanksgiving, I'll have to ask them to bring some more...

A Moscow Mule. For some reason, I've recently gotten a fascination with them. I had a wonderful one at PS7's and then one at The Atlas Room that was too strong on the ginger for my liking. The one I made a few minutes ago is somewhere between the two in spiciness but not as good as either. (I used Reed's Extra Ginger Brew.)

It is my understanding that you can get Pliny in two places - California and Pennsylvania. I don't know how easy it is to find in Philly, but even in San Francisco, we had to go to 5 shops before we found one that actually had the bottles in stock. Perhaps the next Rockwellian who visits Philly can explore and report back? I'm in Atlanta, so I'm SOL either way, now that our small stash is gone. :-) When my sis and bro-in-law visit for Thanksgiving, I'll have to ask them to bring some more...

Pliny the Elder is easy to find in Portland Oregon and the Younger shows up there too. You can have it mailed to you on the east coast.

A double of some reposado tequila, whose name I can't remember, with two cubes of ice cutting the alcohol nicely, while sitting on the porch enjoying the summertime while it lasts. Cicadas are still singing, so there's that.

I'm not a fan of the northern hemisphere circle of life in the seasons. I much prefer the tropics where all plants and creatures are growing all the time, and even when things die, they're quickly subsumed into more life. Then again, once I finish this drink, I might argue with myself.

Iced coffee from Jo's coffee shop on South Congress in Austin. I don't even like iced coffee, but this is mighty good. I just get the plain coffee, which comes with crushed ice, and add a little cream to it. It's almost like a coffee slushee.

Bud Light...

HEY IT WAS FREE

okay now I'm either going to grab a Sweetwater 420 or the New Belgium 1554...

Can you get Sweetwater in DC now? I'm from Atlanta and 420 is perhaps my favorite "everyday" beer, but when I lived in DC I couldn't find it anywhere. When we toured the brewery, they explained that their distribution area was pretty small due to not pasteurizing their beers.

Can you get Sweetwater in DC now? I'm from Atlanta and 420 is perhaps my favorite "everyday" beer, but when I lived in DC I couldn't find it anywhere. When we toured the brewery, they explained that their distribution area was pretty small due to not pasteurizing their beers.

No, I was in Columbus, GA, when I posted that.

Now I'm drinking Miller Lite and 4 Roses Single Barrel. And threatening to drink the Red Hook Rye. But probably won't...

Been doing a lot of "red wine as mixer" beverages lately.

Tonight, it's part frivolity, part juicy, part spicy.

*Hell Yes, I Know They Are No Longer Seasonal fresh strawberries, blended with

*Hell, They Were Seasonal Just Eight Weeks Ago frozen, local peaches, blended with

*Hello, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters, and before blending added

*Hell, In For A Penny, In For A Pound, touch of white sugar

Once mixed, I shook this up (gasp!) with California red table wine, some ice, and garnished with a lime that has seen better days. Another strawberry and/or peach would have been a better choice.

But damn, the mole spice with the red wine is magix, as is the inviting texture. This is worth playing with in future glasses.

post-5654-0-70955400-1316904075_thumb.jp

Been doing a lot of "red wine as mixer" beverages lately.

Tonight, it's part frivolity, part juicy, part spicy.

*Hell Yes, I Know They Are No Longer Seasonal fresh strawberries, blended with

*Hell, They Were Seasonal Just Eight Weeks Ago frozen, local peaches, blended with

*Hello, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters, and before blending added

*Hell, In For A Penny, In For A Pound, touch of white sugar

Once mixed, I shook this up (gasp!) with California red table wine, some ice, and garnished with a lime that has seen better days. Another strawberry and/or peach would have been a better choice.

But damn, the mole spice with the red wine is magix, as is the inviting texture. This is worth playing with in future glasses.

It would actually be funny if you garnished it with a single blueberry, split on the glass.

(Try this with Tempranillo!)

Not right now, but in a few minutes or so - McRib-infused Maker's Mark.

OH YES INDEED

:unsure:

A cup of Size 1 Pu-Erh Tuo Cha that I bought from Upton Tea on December 30, 2004 (four months before I started this website - I guess I've essentially dry-aged it for almost seven years). It would be interesting to see what mixologists could do with this - to me, it screams for Bourbon.