What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Since we're on a beer kick, I had a Ta Henket from Dogfish Head on Christmas. Wow, this is not a good beer. The nose is foul and the taste is better than the nose, but not something you want to go back to often. I can mark that I had it, but I won't be buying it again.

Also, in the foul category, a friend brought a bottle of St. Michael's Chocolate Zinfandel wine. I should've known something was amiss when the ingredients were listed as "grape wine, natural flavors". The nose was pure fake chocolate smell and the taste was almost Manaschevitz with chocolate. I couldn't even drink it after trying to sip a few times. It got worse and worse. Thankfully, it was a 375ml bottle, but I still sent it back home with my buddy. I can't knock him, though, someone gave it to him.

Thankfully, I topped the night off with Ramazzotti and all was well again.

Eberle Full Boar Red, as I'm severely craving red wine and it was that, another Mary-recommended red from Ace, or the Aramis 2007 cab sauvignon my boss' boss gave me for Christmas.

And also because I'm googling for shotgun and pistol ammo and about to write an angry post on here, though those are completely separate activities and have no bearing on each other.

Miller Lite and "Shine" whiskey, because I was watching "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia", glad that they are not actually related to the White part of my family line, and figuring that's about as close as I can get to appropriate beverages without leaving my house.

Fancy Free: 4:1 Bourbon to Maraschino (Maker's Mark and Luxardo, respectively), 1 dash each Angostura and orange bitters. Man, I love Luxardo maraschino.

I'm trying to embrace "real" cocktails more, especially those with bourbon. :) But, I still find straight liquor drinks to be a bit too strong for me. Anything non-alcoholic I could add to this to tone it down a bit for me for the time being?

SodaStream stuff.

:wacko:

Nifty device, I love the ease of carbonation and potential for crowd-pleasing beverages. But wowza I need to make my own flavors. The concentrates distract me with essence of boiled-down bleh.

If I get hyper-motivated in the stevia, agave, or other simple syrup arena, I'll start a new thread on this topic.

I'm trying to embrace "real" cocktails more, especially those with bourbon. :) But, I still find straight liquor drinks to be a bit too strong for me. Anything non-alcoholic I could add to this to tone it down a bit for me for the time being?

Try making it a tall drink by adding soda. That would dilute the strength of the drink without changing the flavors (much).

Southern Tier chocolate imperial stout. Me thinks it is worth the hype.

Thanks, will try that.

I did try the Fancy Free (I used Knob Creek) with club soda. I tasted it first on its own and actually really appreciated the flavor of it, but after a few sips it was too much alcohol for me. Unfortunately while the club soda does tone down the alcohol it of course also mutes the flavors. I hope that someday I will enjoy stronger drinks like this more. I do really like the flavor of a lot of bourbon and rye whiskeys I've had, and of course I just love cocktails. I'll keep trying. :)

Hoegaarden & TJ's Bavarian hefeweizen (not nearly as good as any of the German hefeweizens I get at the class six, but I don't stop by TJs all that much, & I need to get something besides salsas & chocolate), & rum drinks, w/ different fruit juices & seltzer from my new soda stream-not all at once, of course...

Owen Roe Ex Umbris Syrah straight off of the Fed Ex Ground truck from the Pacific Northwest-took a week. I had to find out if it survived the trip and.....yes, it did!!! (No real cold weather and I took a chance; I was thirsty, too) WS #25 of the year-a remarkable wine for $22 + shipping. I should make a correction here: in my original post I said that they winery still has some. A week ago they did. When, just now, I went onto their website to link it I noted they have sold out. Oops!

Score: 93

Release Price: $24

Region: Washington

Issue: Dec 15, 2011

Top 100: 2011, Rank: 25

Designation: Smart Buys

Supple and round, this red is layered with plum, currant, sassafras, cream and spice flavors that keep sailing through the long, vivid finish. Shows style and grace to go with its undeniable power. Drink now through 2018. 4,982 cases made. –HS

Well, hello! Guess what I found in the basement? Anchor's Christmas brew from 2010. It's still in decent shape, now that I've finally opened it, but I have no idea how long the remainder of the magnum will hold in the refrigerator.

I'm having The District, a cocktail from Jason Wilson's Spirits column Wednesday. It's frikkin' fantastic! In case you missed it:

1 1/2 oz rye

1 1/2 oz Domaine de Canton

3/4 oz lemon juice

1 dash Angostura bitters

1 dast Fee Bros. bitters

This is a really nice drink. The rye is still perceptible, the Fee Bros. adds a great spicy note and the Canton is just the right amount of sweetness for me to balance the substantial amount of lemon juice. Great cocktail. (Oh, and thanks to whomever invented the backspace button. I've used it too much while writing this quick note. Did I mention I've had two?)

Any good? I need an <envy> emoticon>

They were both phenomenal - probably the best wines I've had in 2012. The Chapoutier was slightly better to my taste. Both criminally cheap, BTW. Those two followed a slightly maderized '68 Inglenook Cask and a stunning '68 Louis Martini Cab the night before. Tampa is horrible, but Bern's is a national treasure. Will be back for some burgs in two weeks.

2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Urziger Würzgarten [literally, "spice garden from the town of Urzig"] Riesling Auslese * (they made 1, 2, and 3-star versions this year based on ripeness levels)

I cracked open my case of this recently, and could not resist going back for a return bottle. Drink now or in 30 years - you won't regret it either way. One of those wines that's so good it makes you sad you're not sharing it with someone (so if someone wants an eyedropper full, show up in the next 20 minutes with a thimble). ;)