What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Finished off my sweet vermouth on our first Negroni of the night, so my next was gin/Aperol/blanco vermouth. I just bought my first bottle of blanco last week. That Negroni was light and fruity, but not quite bitter enough for my taste. It'd be a great introductory Negroni for the novice digestif drinker, though. I also made a gin/Campari/blanco Negroni which was highly bitter, but very good. This one would be great for your experienced Campari drinker. MMmmmmm....Negroni.

The orgy of Vitamix concoctions continues: lime-mint slushy. (A nostalgic drink from my time in Khartoum.)

I'm surprised and impressed by the creativity of the recipes in the Vitamix cookbook. So many appliance "cookbooks" are just so dull, and many of the recipes disgusting. Going to try its cherry-mint limeade tomorrow.

Yesterday was sweet lime, ginger, and seltzer. Today's hydrating concoction is lime, ginger, homemade hibiscus grenadine, and seltzer, and somehow glass #2 ended up with a little Barbancourt blanc instead of seltzer.

Am I wrong for hating their gin?

Their gin is not for everybody. It's not a London dry. I enjoy it because I like the backbone to it, and how it comes out in a gin and tonic versus more "subtle" gins.

That being said, yes you're wrong. :D:P

Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce at a (Jewish-Scottish; first and likely the final time I will see a groom in a kilt under a chuppah) wedding this evening in honor of a probably apocryphal story regarding the groom's surname.

Are you in Indiana?

I picked up some Lipton's green teabags for iced tea (normally, I get Luzianne), I didn't see that it was 'Peach Passion', the artificial peach odor is overwhelming. However, because I am cheap, & I drink a lot of iced tea, I will probably force myself to use it...interspersed w/ classic daiquiris, wheat beer, & water....

I just bought a bottle of Rhum Barbancourt (the 3 star/4 year). Any cocktail suggestions? Would a light and stormy be any good?

It's great with Ting, a squeeze of lime, and a dash of bitters. I've never mixed it with ginger beer, but I bet it would be pretty good.

I just bought a bottle of Rhum Barbancourt (the 3 star/4 year). Any cocktail suggestions? Would a light and stormy be any good?

It's my go-to for a Rum Manhattan because it's what my grandfather taught me. I was his bartender before I was in high school. Rhum Barbancourt, sweet vermouth, splash of port, bitters. I've never seen the port in other Manhattans, but it can be a nice touch.

Also, Barbancourt is great in an Anejo Highball: ice, 1.5 oz rum, 1/2 oz orange curacao, 1/2 oz lime juice, 2 dashes Angustura bitters, 2 oz ginger beer.

It's my go-to for a Rum Manhattan because it's what my grandfather taught me. I was his bartender before I was in high school. Rhum Barbancourt, sweet vermouth, splash of port, bitters. I've never seen the port in other Manhattans, but it can be a nice touch.

Also, Barbancourt is great in an Anejo Highball: ice, 1.5 oz rum, 1/2 oz orange curacao, 1/2 oz lime juice, 2 dashes Angustura bitters, 2 oz ginger beer.

Are you making the Manhattans with the three-star or the five-star?

BTW, who do I have to blow to get rid of the "ventworm" tag?

You can try on Don, but really it's just a measure of how many posts you have.

I'm drinking an Empryean Brewing Co. Burning Skye Scottish Style Ale. They're out of Lincoln, NE, and since I'm in Colorado I also got the Colorado Native Lager.

I've been drinking the Bristol's Laughing Lab at the BW-3 near my hotel the last two nights (don't judge me, I've been exhausted!) and found it quite tasty.

It's great with Ting, a squeeze of lime, and a dash of bitters. I've never mixed it with ginger beer, but I bet it would be pretty good.

Can't say I had ever heard of Ting, before looking it up after reading your post.

Both sound good. I don't have curacao, though I do have triple sec. No bitters, but did buy some limes today (both regular and key, as they were cheap). Also picked up some mint and agave syrup, so will try a mojito with it, and whatever other concoctions I come up with based on the rather limited bar at home. There's also some creme de cassis syrup I could add to something.

As I live at the home where my grandparents first moved into in 1960, I did recently find a few unopened bottles of alcohol from the late 70s/early 80s. No idea if they're still drinkable. There's some Seagram's Canadian, some Port, which I may try in some form of that Rum Manhattan (don't have any vermouth, though), I drink I had never heard of before; as a lover of bourbon and Manhattans, I bet I would like it.

I just had to have a bottle of Fernet Blanca because I'm enjoying other amari, and let's just say, I'm enjoying the other amari much more than the Fernet. I do like the mint/menthol flavor in Fernet, but I'm not as crazy about the alcohol warmth. I've been thinking of tinkering with what I have on the shelf and making the Fernet more to my liking. In that vein, I'm drinking my first experiment: 3:1 Ramazzotti:Fernet Blanca. I'm a huge fan and this is just my first try! The menthol still comes through, but the alcohol is diluted enough to be almost imperceptible. It's not Averna-sweet and the herbs/bitters are great.

Cynar. I've been wanting to try it for months, but haven't wanted to spring for a liter of a drink that Jason Wilson says is a "love it or hate it" liqueur. I made an impulse buy at the ABC store today and I'm glad I did. I really like it, although it sits more on the sweet end of the amari spectrum close to Averna.

Phillips Longboat Chocolate Porter, from Victoria BC. Ahhhh, I deserve this pour. Thanks, David!

I love the malt-hops and colour-flavour* scales they have. With the scale listed for that beer, sounds like my kind of brew. And as the description says, I have not seen many Chocolate Porters; stouts yes, but not porters. I wonder why that is.

Speaking of porters, I had a good one the other night from Revolution Brewery here in Chicago. It had the lightness of a porter (compared to a stout) that I like, but still had plenty of flavo(u)r.

*Tee hee... Canadians.

From Robert Hess's Essential Bartender's Guide:

Anejo Manhattan

2 oz Anejo tequila

1/2 oz sweet vermouth

1/4 oz Licor 43

1 dash each of bitters and orange bitters

Luxardo cherry garnish

This is a super-nice drink. Easy to over-dilute, though, which severely muddles the flavors. When stirred properly, it's fantastic. Gotta buy more tequila today. Between my wife and I, we finished our Gran Centenario last night.