What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

Le Sughere di Frassinello Maremma Toscana 2009.  A gift bottle that was all alone in the cellar, and the first "Super Tuscan" I've tried.  The critics are all over this one, and I understand why, although I don't think this is a wine that is particularly food-friendly, and that's where I tend to gravitate.  Naively, perhaps, but there it is.  It needed a little time in the glass to open up, after which it is just perfect for counteracting the cold, wet weather. 

Saladini Pilastri Pecorino Affido DOCG 2012.  Nuts.

ACK!  I'm just seeing this.  Where did you get it?  Whole Foods or Total Wine?  Did it have a pig on the label?

I ask because I had a great pecorino that I loved at an out-of-town restaurant several years ago and didn't have much luck looking for something similar around here.  At Schneider's I was told pecorinos are very sweet and they don't carry them, which I thought was weird.  The one I'd had was maybe a little sweet but had a complex flavor that was not on the whole sweet.  I kind of forgot about it for a while and then found two bottles of Pecorino around here at about the same time.  I know one was at Total Wine.  The other was there or at Whole Foods.

Since I don't drink wine that often, I only recently opened the first bottle, and it was that Pilastri, but a 2010.  I loved it, loved it.  Then I opened the other, La Piuma 2011, and liked it but not like the other.  I want to find these again.  Thanks for any help (or advice on ones I might like even better).

ACK!  I'm just seeing this.  Where did you get it?  Whole Foods or Total Wine?  Did it have a pig on the label?

It turns out it did have a pig on the label, but I opened the bottle without my glasses on and assumed the little animal was a sheep.  Pecorino and whatnot. :unsure:  I don't remember where it came from, but I found it online just now in Total Wine's listings for the Alexandria store so you can still get it.  Other than this particular wine, I have zero experience with Pecorino.  I was just back from Italy and was on a mission to try every DOCG wine I could find, and this one was a random choice.  I do remember enjoying it.

It turns out it did have a pig on the label, but I opened the bottle without my glasses on and assumed the little animal was a sheep.  Pecorino and whatnot. :unsure:  I don't remember where it came from, but I found it online just now in Total Wine's listings for the Alexandria store so you can still get it.  Other than this particular wine, I have zero experience with Pecorino.  I was just back from Italy and was on a mission to try every DOCG wine I could find, and this one was a random choice.  I do remember enjoying it.

I can lend you a Wine Atlas of Italy (too expensive for you to buy yourself) that you'll find fascinating.

Thanks!  It didn't occur to me to check the Total Wine website to see if they have an online catalogue :wacko: .   I will make a trip out and look for it there.  If they happen to have the other one too, that's a bonus, but it's the one with the pig that I want.  (No wonder wine producers put so much effort into their labels.)

Had a blind bourbon tasting tonight, in honor of my brother's 37th birthday the theme was bottles $37 and under.  All were poured with one king cube, please don't judge, but people had to drive home afterwards

Here's what we drank in order:

Hooker's House Bourbon - first one we tasted and the winner of the night!

Elmer T Lee - We were all fans of this before tonight, but it scored the lowest.  Wouldn't stop any of us from buying it again.

Elijah Craig 12 - Everyone enjoyed this, and we weren't surprised at the unveiling.  This is a consistently good, well-priced bourbon that you won't feel wasteful mixing in a cocktail.  Not the highest rating, but a solid middle of the pack choice.  Some detected notes of rye

Very Special Old Fitzgerald - Lots of good mellow flavor, we were slowing down at this point, but was an easy sipper.

Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch - I knew this was one that I liked, even with the bottle hidden in a bag.  If been drinking a lot of the entry level Col Taylor recently, and picked this as a favorite after the first sip.  Overall I think this finished second to the Hooker's House.

Old Weller Antique - I think this was the highest proof drink of the night at 107, but it was enjoyed by all.  We all just kind of nodded in agreement after the first comment of "Hey, another good one."

One of the Jefferson Presidential's - As we drank our 7th glass of the night, we all decided we just really liked bourbon.

post-3189-0-84838200-1392177945_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks!  It didn't occur to me to check the Total Wine website to see if they have an online catalogue :wacko: .   I will make a trip out and look for it there.  If they happen to have the other one too, that's a bonus, but it's the one with the pig that I want.  (No wonder wine producers put so much effort into their labels.)

An update for anybody who might be interested:  I was able to find the Pilastri {pig} pecorino at Alexandria Total Wine.  Found the La Piuma pecorino at Whole Foods Alexandria.  I thought I'd found the wines at both but couldn't recall what was where.

• Like 1

For some reason, warm weather always gets me excited to make refreshing cocktails at home.  First up tonight: a Sophia Loren Shim, which I discovered at my sister's baby shower last weekend.  2 oz Aperol, 1 oz lemon juice, 1/2 oz bourbon, and 4 dashes rhubarb bitters.  Shockingly, Aperol was the hardest to find of the ingredients.  Worth it - so so yummy.  And so far, the only way I have enjoyed drinking bourbon (not a brown liquor girl).

I'm enjoying what may be the most obscenely named beer from Virginia, Lickinghole Creek Short Pump saison.  It's not bad, cloudy like a farmhouse ale, but hopped more like an American Pale Ale.  The color is a light-medium amber.  Expect the body of something like Butternuts Porkslap farmhouse, but heavier on the hops.  

• Like 1

On the way down to NC a couple of weeks ago, we stopped at a Cookout (which I had never heard of) & I had a caramel cheesecake milkshake, because I had had a salted caramel milkshake in Carlisle, PA a week before (probably my first milkshake in 10 yrs)- it's a slippery slope, I'm up for trying any milkshake that comes my way.

Among other things tonight I've enjoyed straight up Fidencio Joven Mezcal. I happened on it at Ace Beverage and I'm now IN LOVE with this liquor!! I've tried a few mezcals over the last couple of years and I've never had one with this much flavor and smoky nose as this one. Anyone else tried it? Are my buds off or is this a damn good mezcal?

I'm now in love with The Kimmie, The Yink, and the Holy Gose from Anderson Valley.  Not a skull splitter like the imperial IPAs I had favored, a mere 4.2 percent ABV, but loaded with flavor with the balance of a little salt, a little sour, and a little beer.  

Barbancourt blanc, Ting, a squeeze of lime, ice.  Thinking Ting might make an excellent Paloma. 

Ting and Jarritos have been the grapefruit soda recommendations I've seen for a Poloma.

I've been a fan of the San Pellegrino Pompelo soda for Palomas.  The Ting is a little sweet for me.  The Pellegrino has a nice balance of sweet and bitter.

I've been a fan of the San Pellegrino Pompelo soda for Palomas.  The Ting is a little sweet for me.  The Pellegrino has a nice balance of sweet and bitter. 

I should try Pompelo with alcohol. I love the San Pellegrino fruit sodas, but I detested the flavor of Pompelo when I tried my first.

Homemade German strawberry creme liquor. I know most of you snobs are rolling your eyes at the thought of drinking such a thing but I have no problems admitting to my love to sweet, creamy drinks.

The miniature of elderberry creme is next; I'm 2 kilos over the allowed weight limit for flying and I'm not eating the foie till I'm in the States so this is the easiest way to make my bag lighter.

• Like 2

Four Roses single barrel.  Inspired to try it again by Dean Gold in a comment made in a Pappy van Winkle thread.  Nice caramel and a bit of spice in the middle.  I like it more than I recall from the last time I had some, but my go to is still Noah's Mill.

2004 Juan Gil Jumilla

I found it in the "cellar," which is the rack in my basement. I was afraid it would be too old, but it's lovely. Does anyone know anything about this wine? There are two more bottles down there!

This 2004 Jumilla would *by no means* be too old - it should be fresh as a daisy. Vibrant, red fruits, and with absolutely *no* browning. Assuming proper storage, I would not have advised opening this wine before the age of ten - you did the right thing by holding onto it.

• Like 1

This 2004 Jumilla would *by no means* be too old - it should be fresh as a daisy. Vibrant, red fruits, and with absolutely *no* browning. Assuming proper storage, I would not have advised opening this wine before the age of ten - you did the right thing by holding onto it.

Maybe you should pay for your drink purchases with these???

post-2-0-08426300-1457683887_thumb.png

On 2/25/2006 at 2:17 AM, shogun said:

Unibroue Édition 2005. At the Engineer's Ball after-party at the TJ Suite in the Mariott (Not that I WENT to the e-Ball this year). From a red Solo cup. At this point I'm out of both badges and guns.

Robert Hulseman, creator of Solo cup favored by partygoers, dies at 84, by Emily Langer, January 3 at 4:52 PM on washingtonpost.com