deangold

What Are You Drinking Right Now?

2000 La Mission Haut Brion. I poured this at a fund raiser on Saturday, and it tastes even better tonight. I can only imagine what this is going to be like in twenty years.

2000 La Mission Haut Brion.  I poured this at a fund raiser on Saturday, and it tastes even better tonight.  I can only imagine what this is going to be like in twenty years.

Well, don't have anymore of that. And I'll stay off of the Robitussin. <_< Night!

Well, don't have anymore of that. And I'll stay off of the Robitussin.  ;)    Night!

Sorry, I only had a half bottle and my wife demanded half of it. <_<

edited: by half bottle I mean half of a whole bottle that had been opened this weekend. Last night was the very young but drinkable remainder of the 2002 Mouton, hmm Mouton.

A 1995 Thomas Hardy Ale. This can scantly be called a beer, it is more like a fine sherry. There were few suds, and a lovely wine like finish. I am happy that I have five more of these, I can only imagine how they are going to taste in the years to come.

Ahhhh in the comfort of my own home - after travelling through Tennessee this past week, and a downright scarring experience outside of Knoxville (see my post about the hot tub - I don't dare think of the germs!) AND a hell of a flight from Atlanta tonight, I opened a bottle of Elderton Shiraz 2002 - actually quite delicious - and I am certain I will sleep well!

I will have sugar plums, black cherries, raspberries, tobacco, eucalypt and spice dancing through my head!

Old Taylor, bottled-in-bond, distilled spring 1972 DSP-KY-19 (the last distillation season for the original Old Taylor distillery), bottled fall 1982. Brilliant, complex, deep, honeyed, spicy.

1+1=3 Penedes. And when that was done, Smirnoff Triple Distilled. Happiness. ;) Let's see how long I stay online. Or at least spell correctly. <_<

There were too many to remember, but what struck me were the 1970 BV Reserve. There were 3 bottles. Each bottle was very differnt. The first went down the drain the second was sipped but ignored, and the third was stunningly beautiful.

A 2003 Domain Du Chene Condrieu. In some ways it is good that these luscious wines cost so damned much, or I would drink them with every meal.

Berta Moscato Grappa.... Yum!

This brings up the bottle of Saracco Moscato D'Asti 1996 we have had ever since Craig hit the close-out sale at a wholesalers in DC several years ago. Does this stuff get better with age, or should we find an excuse to drink it RIGHT NOW?

This brings up the bottle of Saracco Moscato D'Asti 1996 we have had ever since Craig hit the close-out sale at a wholesalers in DC several years ago.  Does this stuff get better with age, or should we find an excuse to drink it RIGHT NOW?

Distilled spirits only improve in the barrel. They will remain stable in the bottle, unopened for years (indefinitely?). Once opened there is a slight reduction in their aromatic quality over time.

On second reqading, it this a moscato d'asti wine or a grappa di moscato d'asti? If the latter, its meant to be drunk you and you have an experiement on your hands.

Last night:

2003 Kosta Brown Kanzler Vineyard Pinot Noir

Tonight:

Either a 2003 Saxum Bone Rock Syrah or a 2002 Martinelli Bondi Home Ranch Pinot Noir

A 2003 Domain Du Chene Condrieu.  In some ways it is good that these luscious wines cost so damned much, or I would drink them with every meal.

Hanging out at Citronelle?

Don't I wish, I picked up a case a couple weeks ago.

Life isn't so bad if you you have a case of that hanging around. Our favorite sommelier, Mark Slater recomends it highly. As do -- with substantially less crediblity -- I.

Life isn't so bad if you you have a case of that hanging around.  Our favorite sommelier, Mark Slater recomends it highly.  As do -- with substantially less crediblity -- I.

I blew my entire wine budget until July on 3 cases from the importer who brings it in. The other two cases were Burgundies (where a little goes a long way to killing one's budget).

2002 Mitolo* Shiraz Savitar. I thought that this was going to be a total fruit bomb, but I was pleasently surprised that it was not. This is a delightful wine that reminds me more of a Northern Rhone than a Southern Australian. I would drink this over a Mitolo GAM any day.

*Mitolo also makes a wonderful olive oil. I was lucky enought to be given a bottle as a gift from my vintner. If you can find a bottle I highly recommend picking one up.

2001 Leonetti Merlot. The mid and late '90's vintages were exemplery; starting with 2000 there seems to have been a drop off. Given the former cult statis of this wine (which is now available on various wine shop shelves in Seattle) in combination with the ascension of Washington state wines Leonetti may have suffered a bit. The last several years I have not ordered my full allocation (I've been on their mailing list since about 1991) especially since they're asking $65 for a bottle of good but no better merlot.

After 30 minutes this has improved. But not enough to warrant that price. Leonetti Merlot, Cab and Reserve Cab are very good wines; but they have fallen a bit-perhaps quite a bit-since the Wine Spectator called them "America's best merlot." At $30 I would buy a case of this. At $65, well, that's worth some thought.

After 90+ minutes this sucker is delicious!!! $65 seems a bargain!

Edited by Joe H