2941, Chef Bertrand Chemel in West Falls Church - Restaurant Moves Toward a More Casual Experience

22 minutes ago, Shaho said:

We were there for a celebration event this summer. Service and ambiance were excellent. We had the Chef's Tasting Menu, which was 5 courses with a selection of 2 options per course. Food ranged from beautifully plated and uniquely balanced (a yellowtail tartare with peach, Rosé foam, and crispy lotus root) to a little more by the numbers. Overall I would say most dishes were above average with only a few standouts, but paired with the ambiance it was still a wonderful experience and exactly what we were looking for. The dining room was fairly busy on a weeknight evening.

Yep, that sounds like exactly our dinner last friday night. I got the tasting menu and I will add that the wine pairing was actually a good deal: the pours were generous, the wines were delightfully obscure, and the sommeliers were lively and informative.

Warning: The following is a first-world comment.

I will add that while 2941 is a delightful restaurant, it is not in the same class as IALW. 2941's plating is quite nice and the food is quite flavorful, but when I compare the pics to those from our IALW meal, the difference is clear. Of course, you pay an s-ton more at IALW. But it's for a 3-michelin-star experience. Still, I highly recommend 2941 for a special occasion that won't break the bank (as much).

NB: There's no valet parking at this time, so bring a coat if it's cold!

• Like 5

Celebrated an anniversary dinner here tonight. The highlight that saved the entire evening was the duck a l’orange and the lead sommelier James. I enjoyed the kanpachi crudo once I scraped all the cilantro off of it. The tempura cauliflower was well made but the sablefish option was better. The service was casual and timing was poor until the very end with the duck course and James giving a master class in friendly, informed and professional service. The rule still applies: if you see duck on a menu, order it!