Iron Chef America

Banco

Joe, you noted recently that you were in the audience for the rematch taping.  You indicated you can't discuss results, and I completely understand.  Can you talk about the experience of attending? 

For example, we see an edited hour on TV.  How much time did it actually take to prep?  How secret is the secret ingredient?  How much time do the chefs take to discuss the game plan with the assistants?  I'm always under the assumption that once they walk the ingredient to their prep area, they take a moment to determine exactly what's coming and who's doing what.  And that's where they edit out some of the 30 minutes of the match that we don't see.  How much time between the match ending and the judges eating?  Can everything still be at proper temperature? 

You know, questions like that.  You're likely one of the only people in town whose been in the audience.

Seriously good quesitons, the answer to some of them really surprised me.  Honestly, no bs, I don't know what I can say-NOT about the match itself (obviously I can say nothing!) but I also don't know what I can say about the mechanics of the production and how they put it together.  I promise to check on this and find out what, if anything, I (or anyone attending a taping) can write about it.  If I am able to, after the show airs, I will post on the experience.  If not, I sincerely thank Roberto and the producers for a wonderful memory that I do not want to abuse their allowing me to have experienced.  Thanks for asking, though!

Perhaps it was because the winner was the dude who hands me this great pork sandwich from time to time at lunch, but I gotta admit, I really enjoyed watching the program and was pleased to see the outcome.

So, Joe H, when we last left this discussion....... :) Did you find out what the peanut gallery can share with the unwashed masses? The true "secrets of Kitchen Stadium?"

So, Joe H, when we last left this discussion.......  :)   Did you find out what the peanut gallery can share with the unwashed masses?  The true "secrets of Kitchen Stadium?"

Yes, please "dish"!!! And how was the viewing party?

Thank you to Roberto and his staff for the incredible buffet that he set up last night at four stations in the hall. It included suckling pig, a roasted 10+ pound rockfish (both carved, sliced to order), raviolini with gorgonzola sauce, bbq ribs, homemade sausage, panne cotta, tiramisu and 45-50 more dishes that rivalled much of what is served at both Galileo and the Lab. $65 for a bottle of the Masi Amarone (cheaper than Wegman's), $75 for Sammarco (cheaper than Costco) and other prices only complimented what ended up as a several hour orgy of some of Roberto's best dishes. Considering this was $35 with much going to charity made it all the more remarkable.

Chefs unofficially cook twice on Iron Chef. In the first one hour period (what appears on television as the timed contest) they do all of the prep work and what amounts to half of the assembly and completion of the dishes. There was at least 90 minutes from the end of this to the presentation of the first dish to the judges and over two hours before the second chef presents his. The result is that just prior to and during this presentation the assembled ingredients are finished, plated and served for the judges' first taste. I understand that not all chefs who appear as contestants on Iron Chef are aware of this; it is not suppose to be allowed but it happens. The theory is that there is only one assembly time but because of the large gap of time between completion and presentation many dishes would otherwise suffer. My guess is that many contestants' dishes do, in fact, suffer. There is also a 45 minute time limit for this presentation, a deadline that both chefs barely made especially with the six dishes each did. Still, it is my impression that there is a distinct advantage to the Iron Chef when the contestant does not do this.

Taste is not as important for winning as I might have thought: Morimoto is a master of appearance and originality which combined, play a larger role in shaping the outcome. Still, Roberto beat him in these, too. As John noted the final score was not even close. There is much more than I can report but it will have to wait several days because of my business.

Perhaps it was because the winner was the dude who hands me this great pork sandwich from time to time at lunch, but I gotta admit, I really enjoyed watching the program and was pleased to see the outcome.

So, Joe H, when we last left this discussion.......  :)   Did you find out what the peanut gallery can share with the unwashed masses?  The true "secrets of Kitchen Stadium?"

More information can be had at this link, although it may not be completely up to date. Joe, why don't you edit the entry to add the stuff you now know.

Thank you to Roberto and his staff for the incredible buffet that he set up last night at four stations in the hall.  It included suckling pig, a roasted 10+ pound rockfish (both carved, sliced to order), raviolini with gorgonzola sauce, bbq ribs, homemade sausage, panne cotta, tiramisu and 45-50 more dishes that rivalled much of what is served at both Galileo and the Lab.  $65 for a bottle of the Masi Amarone (cheaper than Wegman's), $75 for Sammarco (cheaper than Costco) and other prices only complimented what ended up as a several hour orgy of some of Roberto's best dishes.  Considering this was $35 with much going to charity made it all the more remarkable.

They served 45-50 different dishes for hundreds of people with quality of some that rivalled the Lab?!

I was able to catch the tasting and judging half of the show, for some reason I don't find the first half of the show or the cooking stage as interesting in the American version v. the original Japanese show. It seems much more rushed and disjointed IMO. Perhaps because in the american version they mandate 5 dishes. I guess, for me, that just boils down to a production issue on the American version of Iron chef.

However, I love the tasting part of the show (even without the giggly Japanese "actress" overdub)...and can now say that I've actually had a dish that has appeared on Iron Chef, the faux caviar made from cous cous. woo hoo!

iron chef is fixed. i'm sorry but it is.

i knew roberto donna was going to win before the show started and the secret ingredient was unveiled. its a mildly entertaining show, far inferior to its japanese cousin; i am sad to say.

anyone who watched cat cora beat alex lee last year would not dispute the lack of credibility the show has...

and lastly, i truly feel, america's iron chefs are just not as talented as the japanese counterparts.

OK, I was COMPLETELY fooled!! I mentioned in the "Galileo Cooking Classes" thread that Chef Donna let the outcome of the rematch slip. His exact words were "we lost again, but what are you gonna do? Morimoto is THEEEE Iron Chef". All this time I went around feeling sorry for him and wished he had won! Even as he was prepping his dishes and all the way up to The Chairman announcing of the winner, I kept thinking to myself: "to bad he lost!". And then they announced the winner...Chef Donna!! It was a nice surprise.

Even though one of iron chefs is the same?

Watching the original Iron Chef, I always got the sense that the cuisines of other cultures would never be more than a curiosity in Japan, and while there was certainly a market for the finer things in life, the judging was always skewed towards a more traditional Japanese palate. Among the challengers you were much more likely to see Japanese chefs with some foreign training, than foreign chefs bringing their cuisine to Japan. Even Morimoto went through a bit of a painful teething stage with his first few battles, as his food was often judged to be too Americanized. Nevertheless, it was clear that Chen, Sakai and Michiba were extremely talented, and their work would probably play well in any major metropolis.

Anyway, in my fantasy world, Ironstomach Chef America might be cast with:

Japanese: Morimoto

French: Thomas Keller

Spanish: José Andrés

American: Johnny Monis

and as the Chairman: Christopher Walken. Or maybe David Bowie.

And none of these sissy ingredients either. Bring on the exotic stuff!

Does anyone know how the Iron Chefs on the original show were chosen to be the Iron Chefs? where they already well know in Japan, or where they really the best that The Chairman could find :)

Obviously the American show is a vehicle for already established Food TV stars (other than Cat Cora, who has underwhelmed me as an Iron Chef).

I don't watch the American version a lot but I've been impressed by Batali, Fley sometimes, and I think Morimoto was better on the original.

and Walken as Chairman would be brilliant...maybe they could get him as a judge for a show.

Does anyone know how the Iron Chefs on the original show were chosen to be the Iron Chefs?  where they already well know in Japan, or where they really the best that The Chairman could find  :)  

Obviously the American show is a vehicle for already established Food TV stars (other than Cat Cora, who has underwhelmed me as an Iron Chef).

I don't watch the American version a lot but I've been impressed by Batali, Fley sometimes, and I think Morimoto was better on the original.

and Walken as Chairman would be brilliant...maybe they could get him as a judge for a show.

I'm fairly certain that all of the original chefs for Iron Chef Japan were well known in Japan prior to being selected. As for the American version, I agree about Cat Cora, she's awful, and they could have done so much better with their selection. Even just looking here in DC, Ris Lacoste would have been much better - or Carole Greenwood, just to see what would happen!

Watching the match on tivo last night, I'm surprised no one has remarked on Roberto making what for all intents and purposes was "Michel's Begula Pasta"...

Watching the match on tivo last night, I'm surprised no one has remarked on Roberto making what for all intents and purposes was "Michel's Begula Pasta"...

RD made a similar dish for a special Lab dinner a few months ago and everyone was gaga over it. I made note that it was very similar to Michel's.

RD made a similar dish for a special Lab dinner a few months ago and everyone was gaga over it.  I made note that it was very similar to Michel's.

Gotcha. After further thought, I'd change my description from "similar" to "all out theft".

who won ????

couldnt watch the show..

Neither could I...damn DirectTV satellite signal craps out right as the show is starting and doesn't come back on until 9:57 pm... :):angry:

BUT - it will be rebroadcast several times - 10 pm on Thursday, 7pm and 11pm on Saturday. (A couple of other wee hours times too. See here for all the listings)

Neither could I...damn DirectTV satellite signal craps out right as the show is starting and doesn't come back on until 9:57 pm... 

BUT - it will be rebroadcast several times - 10 pm on Thursday, 7pm and 11pm on Saturday. (A couple of other wee hours times too. See here for all the listings)

Thanks! I made the mistake of DVRing the repeat of the original Donna vs Morimoto. I started watching and was like, "This is awfully familiar...didn't they do scallops last time?" Doh!

"Talent imitates, but genius steals."

Now if only someone would club Alton Brown with the cluestick over his baffling, pseudo-

French pronunciation of Donna.

"Good poets borrow, great poets steal."

--Thomas Stearns Eliot

iron chef is fixed. i'm sorry but it is.

i knew roberto donna was going to win before the show started and the secret ingredient was unveiled. its a mildly entertaining show, far inferior to its japanese cousin; i am sad to say.

anyone who watched cat cora beat alex lee last year would not dispute the lack of credibility the show has...

and lastly, i truly feel, america's iron chefs are just not as talented as the japanese counterparts.

t is outrageous that you would say this. Whether from Morimoto's team or Roberto's team these people worked their hearts out. Roberto did not take the first encounter serious-he was in Italy the day before. For this show he and his two assistants practiced for a week knowing only that it would be one of two features. For both they worked out menus and repeatedly timed their preparation. The production lasted over four hours, the intensity was incredible. This was a very serious competition with two chefs who had a great deal of respect for each other and their talent and accomplishments. For me it is an absolute shame knowing how much time, effort and energy was expended and you would try to demean this by claiming it was fixed.

Roberto, Morimoto and all of those who compete on Iron Chef deserve a better comment than your's.

And for the others who asked about the food: yes, a number-most in fact-of the dishes were dishes which appear in both the Lab and Galileo. It was an extraordinary evening, not just for the show but for, well, eating. There were 200 people in there by 7:00 and my guess is that most of them spent at least two + hours eating with only taking breaks to go back to one of the four food stations. Also, with 500 people the lines were very short because of the four stations and the enormous variety of dishes. Roberto went all out for this. It is a shame that more people on this board chose not to attend or to have posted on this topic.

Between Roberto on Sunday and Fabio on Monday Washington, D. C. has done very well on the national stage in the past few days. I'm actually shocked to return home and find so little discussion of either event.

Between Roberto on Sunday and Fabio on Monday Washington, D. C. has done very well on the national stage in the past few days.  I'm actually shocked to return home and find so little discussion of either event.

Myself, I've been studiously avoiding the whole topic as I missed the original airing and plan on watching the repeat Saturday night. (OK, I've cheated a few times and know who won :) )

Edit to add - sad face because it would have been so much better TV if I didn't know who won

Roberto did not take the first encounter serious-he was in Italy the day before[...]   

It is a shame that more people on this board chose not to attend or to have posted on this topic[...]

Between Roberto on Sunday and Fabio on Monday Washington, D. C. has done very well on the national stage in the past few days.  I'm actually shocked to return home and find so little discussion of either event.

Maybe it is a question of relevance, Joe.

Maestro, as fabulous as it truly may be, is far beyond the reach of most people.

And as your comment above underscores, if Roberto can not take an opportunity seriously that the rest of us can spend our entire careers working for without much hope, how relevant is that to this community?

[ :) ] (Don's angry face, not mine)

This is not to take anything away from the obviously impressive and hard-earned accomplishments, especially in Fabio's case (TV is after all just TV, staged entertainment even if it is not fixed), or to pick a fight, but just to provide possible insight into the question you raised.

Edited to add: It was pointed out to me that my previous, now-edited, comments did an injustice to the gracious, generous, genuine and truly engaged community involvement of Fabio and crew. I stand corrected and would like to apologize and add that Fabio stands as a sterling example to us all and sets a standard of integrity that most, if not all, of us can only fail to meet.

t is outrageous that you would say this.  Whether from Morimoto's team or Roberto's team these people worked their hearts out.  Roberto did not take the first encounter serious-he was in Italy the day before.  For this show he and his two assistants practiced for a week knowing only that it would be one of two features.  For both they worked out menus and repeatedly timed their preparation.  The production lasted over four hours, the intensity was incredible.  This was a very serious competition with two chefs who had a great deal of respect for each other and their talent and accomplishments.  For me it is an absolute shame knowing how much time, effort and energy was expended and you would try to demean this by claiming it was fixed.

Roberto, Morimoto and all of those who compete on Iron Chef deserve a better comment than your's.

And for the others who asked about the food:  yes, a number-most in fact-of the dishes were dishes which appear in both the Lab and Galileo.  It was an extraordinary evening, not just for the show but for, well, eating.  There were 200 people in there by 7:00 and my guess is that most of them spent at least two + hours eating with only taking breaks to go back to one of the four food stations.  Also, with 500 people the lines were very short because of the four stations and the enormous variety of dishes.  Roberto went all out for this.  It is a shame that more people on this board chose not to attend or to have posted on this topic.

I agree that the show is fixed, but it is good entertainment. I have eaten at Galileo twice in the past year, and the food was average to below average at best. I think Fabio getting a James Beard award is more important to DC, than Roberto on Iron Chef. Fabio's food is on another level, and he is acutally in his kitchen most nights, I would rather see the young chefs in DC on shows like Iron Chef. Think Eric at CityZen, Monis at Komi, Fabio at Mastro, and Armstrong from Eve, these guys are changing DC dinning for the better, and are in the Kitchen everynight!

Maybe it is a question of relevance, Joe. 

Maestro, as fabulous as it truly may be, is far beyond the reach of most people.

And as your comment above underscores, if Roberto can not take an opportunity seriously that the rest of us can spend our entire careers working for without much hope, how relevant is that to this community?

[ :) ] (Don's angry face, not mine)

This is not to take anything away from the obviously impressive and hard-earned accomplishments, especially in Fabio's case (TV is after all just TV, staged entertainment even if it is not fixed), or to pick a fight, but just to provide possible insight into the question you raised.

Edited to add:  It was pointed out to me that my previous, now-edited, comments did an injustice to the gracious, generous, genuine and truly engaged community involvement of Fabio and crew.  I stand corrected and would like to apologize and add that Fabio stands as a sterling example to us all and sets a standard of integrity that most, if not all, of us can only fail to meet.

t both the Laboratorio and the Maestro dinners that I've organized there have been a number of people who had never experienced a dinner like these. For several I know that it took real sacrifice to be able to go. But it meant a great deal to them, having read descriptions for a long time on Chowhound that spiked their interest and desire. My credibility, having promoted both when neither had received hardly any mention on any message board (I was the first to mention Maestro almost five years ago with alengthy rave) was also on the line, especially since a meal like either could cost as as much as a car payment. Afterwards I cannot tell you how many e-mails and notes I received noting the worth and pleasure of being able to share. I would also point out that on a nightly basis diners at both Maestro and Laboratorio span an economic spectrum-there are many who feel that the investment is well worth it. IT IS NOT JUST THE WEALTHY WHO ENJOY A GREAT DINNER. Many, including myself when I drove a cab through college and part time for five years after, have sacrificed for dinners like these. In fact when I was really young my mother was a waittress, my father a cook (not a chef) yet every year we went to New York and ate in their best restaurants, returning to a nondescript third floor walkup apartment in Takoma Park. (Kliman was right about one thing: I grew up VERY poor but food was everything to me. And to my parents. Zola's L'assommoir comes to mind here if you are familiar with it.) Last, Roberto and his team (as Morimoto and his) worked their hearts out at Iron Chef. His pride is as fierce and intense as anyone. He wanted to provide a feast for all who attended the Iron Chef viewing, a feast to compliment what was shown on the many screens. And he did. He went all out. We most definitely benefit from this. As we benefit from your efforts. He also raised a great deal of money Sunday night for charity-a bidding war for a cooking trip to Italy went for $20,000, almost double the expectation! Just for this one donation-and there were others along with the actual dinner. The $35 that was charged for such extraordinary food was a virtual gift to those who attended. (Actually, it was literally a gift when many of the ingredients were contributed.) Still, it is wrong for you to assume that Laboratorio and Maestro are beyond the reach of most people. For those for whom food is truly important there will be sacrifices. We are fortunate that we have Maestro and Laboratorio, both of which are well worth the sacrifice. And the continuing sacrifices that they and others make for us so that we can find here, in my hometown, that which is equal to anywhere else in America. Maybe anywhere.

Still, it is wrong for you to assume that Laboratorio and Maestro are beyond the reach of most people.  For those for whom food is truly important there will be sacrifices. 

oe, i appreciate your breadth of knowledge and experience as a diner and washingtonian...but maestro and the lab are not accesible to most people and that is a fact. they are extremely expensive; and for even people who love food; they might not be an attainable place to dine. i am lucky; i have eaten at both; but i would never ever say that if people love food they should and would be willing to make sacrifices necessary to attend a $400 + a meal for two.

You forgot to mention the Food & Wine award that Cathal Armstrong received. That will bring quite a bit of attention to the area as well. Plus dining in the Bistro at Eve is leaps and bounds better than Galileo and they have a great deal with the lickey-split lunch.

Tonight's episode featured RJ Cooper of the forthcoming Rogue 24 (and ex-Vidalia), facing off against the newly-appointed Iron Chef Marc Forgione in "Battle Bell Peppers". (Again, I am puzzled by ICA's choice of mundane secret ingredients, compared to the exotic items used on the original Japanese show.)

It's been a while since I've watched ICA, but I hope this episode was typical of what the upcoming season will be like. A nail-biter down to the last few seconds, both chefs really pounded it out over the allowed hour, and surprisingly none of the completed dishes seemed forced nor to be a dud.

RJ's offerings looked absolutely terrific, although ultimately they didn't all articulate the theme ingredient well enough to triumph. By the numbers, the final tally was more skewed than I would have expected...but then again the judges' table sounded like a New York fest to me - plus the amazing Nigella Lawson, of course.

Forgione, in spite of his famous blow-up last spring, seems like a pretty remarkable competitor...possibly enough to get me re-interested in the show. On Food Network this week.

See below for my thoughts. Fair warning: I'm very, very biased.

The impression that I got from the very beginning was that RJ had no chance: they were setting everything up to showcase the awesome abilities of their new Iron Chef. After all, what would it say about the validity of their selection process if the new Iron Chef lost his first match?

I think the tone the producers wanted to convey can be summed by the Chairman prompting the judges to provide a criticism of Forgione's dishes. The response? "I wish there were more!" Other examples of favoritism:

Alton criticized RJ's technique with fish, saying he was "in the weeds," when the impression I got wasn't that RJ was trying to speed the cooking process, but rather trying get more of the fish's surface in contact with the pan to get a better crust (and during judging the Man vs. Food guy even said that the fish was cooked brilliantly). Between Alton being a jerk on several occasions ("it's way too late in the battle for him to still be cooking") and the obsession with the gelée not setting, everything was edited to make it look like RJ was struggling.

There were several instances where RJ was referred to by Alton as "RJ Cooper" rather than "Chef Cooper," as is traditional during Iron Chef commentating.

It seemed like RJ had some good things to stay, and started to tell a story about his dishes, but he was completely ignored/edited out. Wouldn't want the audience rooting for not-the-Iron-Chef...

Speaking of the Iron Chef, Forgione's dishes didn't blow my skirt up. Many of them just involved some julienned peppers tossed around with other peppers. I didn't really see anything brilliant or original in his execution, and the judges certainly seemed more impressed with RJ's actual cooking ability; however, they could not get past the fact that RJ's dishes didn't "feature" the theme ingredient sufficiently. The goal is to use the theme ingredient creatively in a way that brings out its flavors, not to make it the main ingredient in a particular dish. E.g. when the theme is "milk," the cheftestants might make some kind of milk-based sauce - they don't make milk steak.

So yeah - even though RJ had the better presentation, more refined dishes, superior skill, and flavor on his side... he lost because he didn't serve a plate with a giant red bell pepper on it. Give me a break.

Final thoughts: "I can't do anything without pork." Love it. Also, I would much rather have seen RJ up against someone like Michael Symon.

Did RJ pick Forgione or was the new Iron Chef foisted upon him?

The Iron Chef is always pre-selected (as I have heard from former challenging chefs). The challenger never has a choice.

Particularly first ICA of the season post-"Next Iron Chef." Not sure how they do the scheduling, but I've been told by a Food Network acquaintance (unaffiliated with these two shows, however) that the winner of Next Iron Chef always gets next on Iron Chef America.

The Iron Chef is always pre-selected (as I have heard from former challenging chefs). The challenger never has a choice.

I thought it was also interesting that it looked like he only had 3 chefs to choose from...Morimoto, Flay (if I remember correctly), or Forgione.

Does that mean Symon, Garces and Cora are out for the season or perhaps...for good? (Batalli has seemingly been out for a while now.)

There were Bell Pepper battles on Iron Chef Japan. At least 3 times.

That is true, and thanks for making me take a fresher look into it. I may have to revise my opinion somewhat. In looking over the tabulated summaries(A)(J) of past battles, it seems to me that the choice of themes did improve somewhere around season 7 of ICA, although ICJ still chose main proteins more often. A big piece that seems missing to me - and this may be selective memory at work - is the emphasis on sourcing that accompanied the original show. After unveiling the ingredient, there was usually an explanatory montage on ICJ of what made certain grades distinctive or special, and it was this special grade that was provided to the chefs. I just don't remember that happening very often on ICA?

I just don't remember that happening very often on ICA?

On the two episodes I watched of ICA a few years back, I do not recall a historical recount of the selection at all. I seem to recall the unveiling of the ingredient and then the immediate mass scramble.

That may be a cultural thing, though, since most of the Japanese-translated-to-Chinese-subtitled-food-related shows almost always have some sort of description or historical explanation of an ingredient or background given.

Anybody catch last night's re-run of the 2006 Battle Chickpea between Iron Chef Batali and (now) Top Chef All-Stars winner Richard Blais? Season 6 TC alum Eli was in the kitchen as one of Blais' sous-chefs.

Batali reigned supreme and Richard used all of his fancy molecu-gastro-gizmos. Didn't seem to be a lot of love from Alton Brown (or Mario B.) for the newer techniques, though Richard's dishes were well-received by the judges and they all looked/sounded interesting.

A big piece that seems missing to me - and this may be selective memory at work - is the emphasis on sourcing that accompanied the original show. After unveiling the ingredient, there was usually an explanatory montage on ICJ of what made certain grades distinctive or special, and it was this special grade that was provided to the chefs. I just don't remember that happening very often on ICA?

Sometimes Alton gives a run done of the theme ingredient...especially if it is some special type/cut of protein.

My favorite instructor at school, Chef Patrice Olivon, competed with former White House chef Walter Scheib against Cat Cora (battle Dungeness crab). He said that they were told ahead of time that they would compete against Cat Cora and given three possible secret ingredients. They planned specific dishes that would work for each of the secret ingredients. Alton Brown called him Patrice-o-matic (because he cuts so fast) and he is very proud of it.

Here is the video:

http://www.theamericanchef.com/ironchef.asp

http://www.chefpatrice.tv/about.php