Rose's Luxury, Chef Aaron Silverman's Modern-American Phenomenon on 8th and G Street in Barracks Row

You can get the truffled pasta when sitting in front of the kitchen. My parents were transported by the dish. There is nothing my writing skills could add to the conversation about the food so I won't bother.

Instead I'll add my two cents about the open kitchen; I'm surprised there has not been more discussion about these seats. The food was, of course, amazing, decadent, transcending. It is the only restaurant I am trying to hit twice while in the States. For us though, part of the magic of the evening was sitting in front of the kitchen staff, interacting with them as they answered questions or welcomingly butt into our conversations with explanations. When my father wondered aloud if they could put more butter into the pommes puree, one of the sous (I think) turned around with a smile and explained just how much they use in the recipe and why. When I asked why they used the hot sauce as opposed to other brands Chef replied that it was because he couldn't make anything better. I watched the staff greet returning patrons like old friends, truly pleased that they had returned, and make friends with new patrons.

What I love most about the restaurant though, is that none of you knew this block existed a few years ago. Then the Ugly Mug and a few other bars opened and you came to drink before a Nats game. Now you come, not just because Siestsema and every other critic in town is telling you to, but because the chef, who lives in the neighborhood, is putting out the best food in DC right now.

• Like 3

On a Friday or Saturday night, with the restaurant opening @5:00PM, if I (a single diner-my wife is out of town next weekend) get to Rose's @5:15 is it probable that i will get one of the chef's table counter seats?  Or should I get there @4:45 or earlier?

On a Friday or Saturday night, with the restaurant opening @5:00PM, if I (a single diner-my wife is out of town next weekend) get to Rose's @5:15 is it probable that i will get one of the chef's table counter seats? Or should I get there @4:45 or earlier?

Joe H, the restaurant opens at 5:30 pm, not 5 pm.

I think you'll need to get there earlier than opening, maybe 5:15 pm will work for Fri, and I would go even earlier if on Sat (my thinking is many people are at work on Fri so can't get there as early as they can on Sat).

I was there for dinner on Mon, Dec 23 (holiday week so more people out of town? Or family in town? Also Tom Sietsema review had come out that past week). We arrived about 5:25 pm and were able to sit at the chef's counter. There were a few people ahead of us but the line had grown quickly by 5:30. If I recall correctly, the place looked full by 6 pm.

I've eaten as a solo diner at the chef's counter a few times and had a great time.

Joe H, the restaurant opens at 5:30 pm, not 5 pm.

I think you'll need to get there earlier than opening, maybe 5:15 pm will work for Fri, and I would go even earlier if on Sat (my thinking is many people are at work on Fri so can't get there as early as they can on Sat).

I was there for dinner on Mon, Dec 23 (holiday week so more people out of town? Or family in town? Also Tom Sietsema review had come out that past week). We arrived about 5:25 pm and were able to sit at the chef's counter. There were a few people ahead of us but the line had grown quickly by 5:30. If I recall correctly, the place looked full by 6 pm.

I've eaten as a solo diner at the chef's counter a few times and had a great time.

The restaurant is supposed to open at 5:30.  However, I can tell you that when we went two Saturdays ago, it was packed already at 5:45 - and when we were discussing it with the bartender, he indicated that they opened the doors early that night (at 5:00 instead).  Apparently, the crowd waiting was already large enough that they worried about overloading the kitchen smack at 5:30, so they adjusted to better stagger things.

Not sure if that was a one-time thing or a game-time decision that the management makes each evening, but it's something to keep in mind.

Joe H, sorry, you're right about the opening time on Fri and Sat. I just checked their website, and it now says dinner at 5:00 pm on Fri and Sat. It used to be 5:30. (Website says 5:30 for Mon to Thurs.)

(Bettyjoan, also good to know about the opening time for other days. Or possibly even earlier on Fri or Sat?)

Keep in mind that the seats at the chef's counter are low, backless stools, which some folks might find uncomfortable for the duration of a meal. The night I was there (two Wednesdays ago, the day Sietsema's review came out), it took well over an hour for them to fill up (and there was still one open when I left). The prime kitchen view notwithstanding, it's not necessarily going to feel like prime seating for many people so you might luck out.

Joe H, sorry, you're right about the opening time on Fri and Sat. I just checked their website, and it now says dinner at 5:00 pm on Fri and Sat. It used to be 5:30. (Website says 5:30 for Mon to Thurs.)

(Bettyjoan, also good to know about the opening time for other days. Or possibly even earlier on Fri or Sat?)

Seems like maybe they found themselves opening earlier than 5:30 on Fri/Sat (because of crowd-management and ticket staggering and whatnot), so they just changed the official time on the website.  Either way, getting there at or before opening is probably a good idea, especially if you have a particular seat you want to snag.

"critic's darling" Rose's Luxury is an absolutely outstanding restaurant.  My only contribution to its funding was the cost of dinner and, sitting at the kitchen bar, wanting a bite of every course that came out.

Glad you were able to get a seat at the kitchen counter!  How early did you end up going there and how was the line?

We had about a 45 minute wait in the upstairs bar arriving around 6:00PM.  The wait was interesting since I had thought it would be much worse, especially since we were there on Friday night.  I actually wonder if some people don't even try to go for fear that the wait will be too long.  Overall, the wait was a total non issue.

There are eight kitchen counter seats.  The negative is that they are stools without a back.  The positive is we saw every dish prepared and were able to talk to Aaron Silverman.  I would actually draw a sincere analogy to the original Table 21 seats at Volt when there were four of them and they were literally in the middle of Volt's kitchen. Or table 7 at Roberto's Laboratorio which was several feet from where he stood. I think Rose's is an important restaurant.  These are incredible seats, especially for someone who is into cooking and wants to see how each dish is prepared and presented.  Perhaps it was just our experience but they were no more difficult to get than any other seat in the restaurant.  We really had originally ordered, I think, five or six dishes.  We really did double this number just watching the preparation.  Cacio pepe is a particularly "artistic" preparation.  I do not mean what the plating looks like-rather, HOW the pasta is twisted and spooned onto the plate.  You will not see this sitting at a table in the dining room.  I also personally believe that watching a dish prepared and plated creates a sense of anticipation (and appreciation) that is different from what you have in a dining room.  "Burnt romaine" was delicious-more so having watched it charred on a grill first.

The pasta with truffle special (mentioned above) along with the Cacio Pepe were extraordinary along with the soft shell crawfish.  Pickle brined fried chicken was really interesting, too-but every dish was excellent.  Frankly, aside from the counter seats not having a back the only problem was parking-which is non existent.  Still, similar to Red Hen and Alba prices are much lower than what they would be in a "traditional" location such as PA Avenue, 7th, 21st or Georgetown.

And, after dinner, I needed to walk a few blocks anyway!

• Like 4

Frankly, aside from the counter seats not having a back the only problem was parking-which is non existent.  Still, similar to Red Hen and Alba prices are much lower than what they would be in a "traditional" location such as PA Avenue, 7th, 21st or Georgetown.

And, after dinner, I needed to walk a few blocks anyway!

South on 8th Street, under the Rte695 bridge is a small metered parking lot. It does get filled quickly but if anyone is going to Rose's early, you may get lucky and find a spot.

We had both side by side.  Carbonara was exemplery.  The cacio e pepe can still be ordered except it is off the menu.  Same person makes both.  Which is better?  My wife preferred the carbonara, I preferred the cacio e pepe.

If you go back don't overlook the fried softshell crawfish which is extraordinary.  I've eaten fried crawfish from Breaux Bridge to Shreveport and Rose's Luxury is the equal of any in Louisiana.  And, the fried oyster?  It's equal.  Frying is high art here.

• Like 1

We arrived at 5:34 last Saturday and were told that they just sat the entire restaurant and that they didn't expect seats to open for about an hour and half. There weren't seats upstairs to wait at the bar so we put our names in and wandered out. I love the "wait list" process - they took our cell phone number and texted at about 6:45 telling us our table was ready and would be held for 10 minutes unless we wrote back asking them to "cancel" our place in line.

We've been to Rose's Luxury twice since the Post article appeared.  The good news is that this restaurant does not accept reservations-you can get in.  And you don't have to call fifty times one month or one year to the date.  The bad news is that IF you want to get in you're either going to have a long wait or, if you're really serious, you'll be waiting at the door when they open.  Our last visit was on a Friday and at 5:20PM every single seat on the first floor was filled including the kitchen counter.  Remarkable that they may actually have three seatings over the course of the night.  Even more remarkable is that the # of covers and the Barracks Row location allow prices that would be substantially higher elsewhere and with one seating.

We've been to Rose's Luxury twice since the Post article appeared.  The good news is that this restaurant does not accept reservations-you can get in.  And you don't have to call fifty times one month or one year to the date.  The bad news is that IF you want to get in you're either going to have a long wait or, if you're really serious, you'll be waiting at the door when they open.  Our last visit was on a Friday and at 5:20PM every single seat on the first floor was filled including the kitchen counter.  Remarkable that they may actually have three seatings over the course of the night.  Even more remarkable is that the # of covers and the Barracks Row location allow prices that would be substantially higher elsewhere and with one seating.

Your best bet is to go during the week. I went back last night (Moday), at 5:30. Easy to get in, and there were still a couple of two tops and a few of the stools at the chefs table available at 6:30. The fried oysters were a perfect start to the meal, and the spaghetti alla carbonara was an incredibly rich indulgence.

They aren't about to rest on the success they have had since the opening. There was talk of creating a dish featuring chicken wings, but that has been put on hold until after the Super Bowl. It seems that in the run up to the big game, the price of wings goes up considerably. They are already discussing what to put on the menu in the spring, when the seasonal fruits and vegtables become available.

TSchaad

Your best bet is to go during the week. I went back last night (Moday), at 5:30. Easy to get in, and there were still a couple of two tops and a few of the stools at the chefs table available at 6:30. The fried oysters were a perfect start to the meal, and the spaghetti alla carbonara was an incredibly rich indulgence.

Say hi next time ;) .  There were only a few people there ahead of me in line when I arrived at 5:22.  I figured it would be less cold out there yesterday evening than today, so I went for it, but 8 minutes in line in that cold was more than enough.  Someone asked our server if business was typically slow on Mondays and she replied that it is not, and it was unusually slow last night.

I enjoyed my spot at the chef's counter and also started out with the fried oysters (well, if you don't count the loaf of potato bread I wolfed down).  I especially liked the contrast of the cool, raw oyster tzatziki on the bottom of the shell with the fried oyster covering it.

The dish I loved the most was the burnt romaine (avocado, poblano, and cotija cheese--and I'm pretty sure my server said tomatillo as well).  I have no idea why I even ordered this, as I don't care for grilled lettuces.  This changed my mind.  The lettuce was burnt just enough (if that makes any sense) and worked as a wonderful (and interactive) vessel for the other ingredients.  It was presented and plated especially well, with the cheese sprinkled across the top like a fine blanket of snow and a soft disc of avocado and/or tomatillo (puree?) to the side of the lettuce boat.  I should have asked what that round was.

Watching how much honey they squeeze over the fried chicken, I shouldn't have been surprised at how sweet it was.  The server suggested hot sauce to balance the sweetness, which was helpful, and I liked the seeds on top as a textural element.  I think I preferred my chicken fried oysters to my chicken fried chicken, though.

When I was trying to decide whether to order the chicken or gnocchi, I mentioned to the server that I was deliberating and decided to get the chicken and see if I still had room later for anything else.  Well, she also brought me some gnocchi, gratis, which was much appreciated.  That dish doesn't look like much but, oh, the umami.  The roasted maiitakes packed quite a hit of flavor.  There were also some greens included which, again, I should have inquired about but didn't.  This tastes a whole lot better than it looks.

As I suspected, I couldn't finish both the chicken and gnocchi and brought the rest home.  There was no way to even think about dessert.

I'd been beginning to wonder if this place could possibly be as fabulous as everyone has been saying and, yes, it could be and it is.

• Like 1

The dish I loved the most was the burnt romaine (avocado, poblano, and cotija cheese--and I'm pretty sure my server said tomatillo as well).  I have no idea why I even ordered this, as I don't care for grilled lettuces.  This changed my mind.  The lettuce was burnt just enough (if that makes any sense) and worked as a wonderful (and interactive) vessel for the other ingredients.  It was presented and plated especially well, with the cheese sprinkled across the top like a fine blanket of snow and a soft disc of avocado and/or tomatillo (puree?) to the side of the lettuce boat.  I should have asked what that round was.

I loved the burnt romaine as well - definitely sets the bar high for "grilled lettuces."  So much flavor and texture - yum.

I have been dreaming about a return trip to Rose's since our first meal there ended.  We were at our neighborhood watering hole last week when we heard our neighbors at the bar wondering if RL could be as good as everyone was saying - we assured them that it absolutely is.

Walking down Barrack's Row looking for a late(ish) meal last night 4 of us figured we'd be idiots if we didn't at least try Rose's.  At 9pm there were 6 open seats at the bar as well as a couch and chairs.

I don't have a lot to add that other's haven't already mentioned, other than the brisket here is the best I've had outside of Texas.  People who say they don't "get" smoked brisket should really give this a try.  It is serious business.

Our server also mentioned that they are now doing brisket sandwiches (topped with slaw and served on a whole loaf of the potato bread) in the bar only.

Anyone heard any updates on when they'll be rolling out the family-style option?

Just an astonishing, astonishing meal. The breadth and variety of what they tackle in the kitchen is perhaps without peer in the DC area. The drinks were inspired and quite varied and the wine list moderately priced yet well crafted. The service is casual yet attentive - friendly without being intruding - the kind of place that lets you relax and enjoy. Also noted was that everyone from the chefs to the servers were deeply invested in what was going on and clearly inspired to do the work. Quite possibly the most interesting and inspiring meal I've had in DC and certainly in the top tier of memorable dining experiences I've ever had. 

• Like 1

I had yet another great meal at Rose's.  I'm sad that the spouts came off the menu already, but the chicken fried oysters, crawfish, and a langostine special were welcome additions.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts about the waits.  The other week, by 7 they were done taking names.  When I went on Saturday, by 5:45 they quoted me a 3-4 hour wait for a two-top.  (It ended up being only 2-hours, which led to a harried scramble back from across town).  I was told that people have started lining up before they open.

I suppose I have three questions about this.  First, although I really love Rose's, I'm really wrestling with whether it's worth  lining up or a 3+ hour wait.  I'll periodically do it for Little Serow, but that food is far more unusual.  Rose's is really good, but I'm not sure if I'm floored enough to be exited about an all-night wait.  Thoughts?  Second, any good ideas for customers' dealing with those waits.  The upstairs bar is nice but small and, I'm not sure I want to drink for 3+ hours before dinner.  Other favorite places nearby to hang out?  Third, are there good solutions on the restaurant's end?  Should they have an online system for giving names?  Raise prices?  Take reservations?  I look forward to people's thoughts.

Other favorite places nearby to hang out? 

When Spring finally gets here, I'd go for a nice walk down G to 4th then head south to Yards Park. Chill out there and then get a drink at The Arsenal/Bluejacket before going back up to Barracks Row. Or if the wait really is 3 to 4 hours, attend an entire Nats game! :rolleyes:

I had yet another great meal at Rose's.  I'm sad that the spouts came off the menu already, but the chicken fried oysters, crawfish, and a langostine special were welcome additions.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts about the waits.  The other week, by 7 they were done taking names.  When I went on Saturday, by 5:45 they quoted me a 3-4 hour wait for a two-top.  (It ended up being only 2-hours, which led to a harried scramble back from across town).  I was told that people have started lining up before they open.

I suppose I have three questions about this.  First, although I really love Rose's, I'm really wrestling with whether it's worth  lining up or a 3+ hour wait.  I'll periodically do it for Little Serow, but that food is far more unusual.  Rose's is really good, but I'm not sure if I'm floored enough to be exited about an all-night wait.  Thoughts?  Second, any good ideas for customers' dealing with those waits.  The upstairs bar is nice but small and, I'm not sure I want to drink for 3+ hours before dinner.  Other favorite places nearby to hang out?  Third, are there good solutions on the restaurant's end?  Should they have an online system for giving names?  Raise prices?  Take reservations?  I look forward to people's thoughts.

There are the bars at Tash and Ambar for a wait with a snack (or eating there as an alternative).   There are many bars nearby (Ugly Mug, Molly Malone's, et al.) if you just want a bar.  If you decide the wait is too long, you could call over to Hank's or Beuchert's* to inquire about a table there before heading over (or Montmarte or Belga or Bearnaise).  The explosion of restaurants and bars in that area makes this a lot less of a problem than it would have been had this restaurant opened 5 years ago.

Of course, if you have your heart set on Rose's, none of the alternatives are really going to be all that satisfactory.  And the alternatives also vary in quality.

*Beuchert's takes reservations.  Hank's, I think, is still a call to get put on the list.

I think the current approach is a sound one for this restaurant at this time. Are the waits an inconvenience? Of course, especially on the weekends. But the other options you mention would only bring their own set of problems. What would higher prices accomplish? Keep out the riffraff so that only worthy connoisseurs who can appreciate the food can afford to dine there? That would go against everything this place stands for. Any formal reservation system they set up would be blown away by the current frenetic level of interest in the restaurant.

As Aaron said in the Washington Post article on restaurants with a no reservation policy, this allows them to maximize the number of patrons they serve each night while not rushing those people who prefer to take a more leisurely approach to their meal.  It also means they are not victimized by the current habit of some of our fellow diners of spamming reservations to multiple restaurants for the same night and then choosing one to be favored by their presence. With the relatively small size of the place and the price point they have established for the menu items, they need to try and make sure that they keep as many tables occupied with happy diners as possible each night.

The only solution I have found that works in the current situation is to plan my trips to Roses Luxury for midweek and to make sure I go early - for me, the dining experience I have here is worth that effort.

TSchaad

• Like 3

The no-reservations policy will keep me from every giving RL a try.  I wish they would set aside a least some of the tables for Open Table or City Eats.  

I have been very envious of my friends that have made it to RL, but unfortunately, at this point, I am in this boat as well. I completely understand their policy, for all of the reasons TSchaad lays out above. But it does make me said that it's thus virtually impossible for me to get there and try the food.

I disagree with TSchaad.

There is another complication and that is their unwillingness to seat a group unless every member of the party is there.  Yes, I realize that a lot of restaurants do this but at Rose's there are people who stand in line before they open while waiting for a friend (s) to park a car and when the door opens they are not seated until the friend enters the restaurant.  There is no valet parking at Rose's and on street parking is very limited. On our last visit I spent almost a half hour before I found a place to park-four blocks away.  The real significance is that while waiting for another member to show up all of the tables are given away and despite getting there before they open you are still not seated..

At some point Rose's WILL start accepting reservations.  I believe it will have to.  There is a huge wave of people trying it now because of the press.  There is tolerance for the waits and the early dining times.  But at some point this is going to grow old.  I believe that the level that Rose's is on should not be about trying to squeeze a third dinner turnover out of a table.  For dinner of this quality it is appropriate to accept reservations even charging more to allow this.  They are running the very real risk that people while acknowledging that they are excellent will no longer want to make the extraordinary effort to dine there.  And it IS an effort, even on weeknights.

I absolutely love Rose's but it is almost a victim of its success.

At some point Rose's WILL start accepting reservations.  I believe it will have to.  There is a huge wave of people trying it now because of the press.  There is tolerance for the waits and the early dining times.  But at some point this is going to grow old.  I believe that the level that Rose's is on should not be about trying to squeeze a third dinner turnover out of a table.  For dinner of this quality it is appropriate to accept reservations even charging more to allow this.  They are running the very real risk that people while acknowledging that they are excellent will no longer want to make the extraordinary effort to dine there.  And it IS an effort, even on weeknights.

I disagree. While not the same type of place, Little Serow has been operating with no reservations for some time now without any trouble as folks are still making the effort by lining up before the opening bell. If the food stays at the same level, people will still show up. Are there any examples of places that have not switched to reservations that have been adversely affected because of that policy BTW, they also do not seat parties larger than a 4-top.

• Like 2

I'll add the perspective of a parent that still tries to dine out frequently (with and without the little dude).  My wife and I have been to Rose's twice, the second of which was the day the review came out.  We love it.

But...

There really is no way to plan for childcare with a restaurant like Rose's.  If it's a matter of a 45min wait, that's one thing, but 3-4 hours, or showing up at 5 when we are both still at work?  Not gonna happen.

Selfishly, I'd love to see at least some reservations, but I understand the reasons for not doing so.

• Like 3

I think Rose's Luxury works because it manages expectations. Going to a fixed price five course meal or more 'upscale' offering would change the nature of the restaurant and create a spiral toward a standard DC 'boring power' dinner. Right now it has an alchemy of talent providing a substantially different experience than other restaurants in DC and if it can continue to improve on their own terms it should be fine.  

• Like 1

The parking situation at Rose's is not going to get better so people can stop dreaming about that. Don't forget that Rose's, and all of Barracks Row, is smack dab in the middle of a residential area. Parking on the weekends is already a nightmare for residents, especially throughout the summer when the Marines put on their parade. The metro is three blocks away; take advantage of it.

Need to kill a few hours? Walk over to Penn. Ave. and stroll down to the Capitol and back. It is one of the most beautiful sites in DC, especially once you all get rid of the snow.

Rose's is committed to the neighborhood. Chef lives nearby and they appreciate the support of locals. Assuming the level of success continues, they don't need to worry about people coming from the burbs to fill their seats.

• Like 2

Silverman also spent time in the David Chang empire in New York.  Maybe he learned something there and the pattern here will follow that of Ko, which did not accept reservations when it first opened but eventually transitioned over to a reservation system.  I don't know where that transition point is, but presumably it's after the initial flurry has died down, at least a bit.

deangold, pretty much said it all.

Seat incomplete parties and you are putting your faith in the honestly of mankind. You will get your feelings hurt! The friend who is parking the car is actually 45 minutes away, now the next party expecting to be seated is mad as hell, and is counting the hours until they can write their next Yelp review. Service starts to tumble into chaos and it becomes a nightmare. The general public tends to look at restaurants as their own public sanctuary, escape from a busy stressful day. Truth is, they are a business as any other. Don't turn tables and you will find yourself putting the closed sign on the door, especially in a restaurant with limited seating. Start accepting reservations now with the demand of seats as Rose Luxury and you can expect 30+ days out. Then you face the problem of no-shows and scrambling to fill lost seats. I think Chef Silverman is making very smart choices and it surely is proving to be a success. If its not broke....

• Like 2

The parking situation at Rose's is not going to get better so people can stop dreaming about that. Don't forget that Rose's, and all of Barracks Row, is smack dab in the middle of a residential area. Parking on the weekends is already a nightmare for residents, especially throughout the summer when the Marines put on their parade. The metro is three blocks away; take advantage of it.

Rose's is committed to the neighborhood. Chef lives nearby and they appreciate the support of locals. Assuming the level of success continues, they don't need to worry about people coming from the burbs to fill their seats.

+6,000. Even though I'm a former Hill resident, this is dead on the mark.

• Like 1

Like I mentioned upthread, before RL opened their plan was to roll out a 'family style' dining option for larger parties, which I believe was going to be the way you'd be able to actually book in advance.  Given the overwhelming response there hasn't been a peep about that starting in a while, sadly.

The waves of entitlement regarding no-reservations establishments in this town always blows my mind.  Yes, I would visit RL more if I could make a reservation.  But I also am happy to know this system is working for them, keeping prices where they are, keeping the neighborhood pleased, and keeping the place packed.  If a few meals of mine are sacrificed elsewhere to keep away reservation horders and "don't you know who I am" table demanders then cool by me.  I know those are just the bad apples, but there are enough of them in this town to spoil it for everyone.

• Like 3

Like I mentioned upthread, before RL opened their plan was to roll out a 'family style' dining option for larger parties, which I believe was going to be the way you'd be able to actually book in advance.  Given the overwhelming response there hasn't been a peep about that starting in a while, sadly.

The waves of entitlement regarding no-reservations establishments in this town always blows my mind.  Yes, I would visit RL more if I could make a reservation.  But I also am happy to know this system is working for them, keeping prices where they are, keeping the neighborhood pleased, and keeping the place packed.  If a few meals of mine are sacrificed elsewhere to keep away reservation horders and "don't you know who I am" table demanders then cool by me.  I know those are just the bad apples, but there are enough of them in this town to spoil it for everyone.

When Bob and I were here for dinner last Wednesday, our server suggested to us as we were leaving that we should return soon, as the family-style option was going to be rolled out shortly. She didn't have any details, but heard that catfish was being mentioned as a possible dish. I don't know how this will differ from what they currently list as "family-style" with the pork schnitzel and brisket, but assume it may be to serve larger groups.

I like your line about "keeping the neighborhood pleased." While Rose's obviously has become a "destination" restaurant, it's nevertheless operating with a neighborhood mind-set, and the no-reservations/no-valet-parking policy fits that, and to my mind, much better than many of the Barracks Row establishments who are offering those services.

By the way, Bob loved Rose's (his first visit), particularly the bread, the grilled romaine salad (which he described as "steak-like), the drinks, and our apple-cider donut dessert. I stuck with the pork-lychee salad I loved so much on my first visit, as well as the "gnocchi" (very tasty, but a rather small portion for the price); we were both indifferent to the pommes puree, and he agreed that the fried chicken was good but particularly special. Only downside was sort of disjointed, poorly paced service--we wanted to order wine, but were essentially done with our main dishes before our server returned. Friends who were also there that night on their first visit had the pork schnitzel and were disappointed with it, finding it over-breaded. Still, they seem to remain remarkably consistent overall.

It would be nice if they set aside a small number of tables for reservations, and only up to certain times.  Say, 20% of the tables, up to 6:30.  If there are no-shows, there would be plenty of people waiting in line/bar who could quickly fill the seats.  I know other restaurants do that; I wonder if it works well for them or is more trouble then it's worth?

• Like 2

It would be nice if they set aside a small number of tables for reservations, and only up to certain times.  Say, 20% of the tables, up to 6:30.  If there are no-shows, there would be plenty of people waiting in line/bar who could quickly fill the seats.  I know other restaurants do that; I wonder if it works well for them or is more trouble then it's worth?

This is what I hope they will do.  If Rose's was merely a very good neighborhood restaurant-and only pulled people from nearby-it would be different. However Zagat called it "one of the 25 most important new restaurants" in the U. S. As such they are pulling people from far outside the neighborhood...even "the burbs."

Spot on. Like others have said in this thread, until the waits are down significantly, or they do this, I will simply have to read about RL rather than eating there.

• Like 1

When Bob and I were here for dinner last Wednesday, our server suggested to us as we were leaving that we should return soon, as the family-style option was going to be rolled out shortly.

By the way, Bob loved Rose's (his first visit), particularly the bread, the grilled romaine salad (which he described as "steak-like), the drinks, and our apple-cider donut dessert. I stuck with the pork-lychee salad I loved so much on my first visit, as well as the "gnocchi" (very tasty, but a rather small portion for the price); we were both indifferent to the pommes puree, and he agreed that the fried chicken was good but particularly special. Only downside was sort of disjointed, poorly paced service--we wanted to order wine, but were essentially done with our main dishes before our server returned.

Funny.  My wife and I were there (our first time) last Wednesday too.  We got there a little before six and there were only 2 bar seats and a couple of tables left.

We also loved the pork-lychee salad.  It was our favorite dish by far for being so tasty and so weird (in a good way) and so different than anything we've had before.  This was a server recommendation that we probaby wouldn't have chosen on our own.  Take their advice!!

The only thing we didn't love was the langoustine special.  There was nothing wrong with it other than the size-to-price ratio.  For 19 bucks we got 3 half langoustines.  Each one had less meat in them than average sized shrimp.  They tasted fine but the price seemed way too high and out of line with other, better and more filling options.

The only other thing I'll note (in case anyone from Rose's is reading this) is my that work computer won't let me access the menu.  I can get to the site, but when I click the "menu" tab, a new window opens up and I get this message:

Your request http://rosesluxury.com/the-menu/ was denied because of its content categorization: "Restaurants/Dining/Food;Suspicious"

I don't recall having that problem with any other restaurant.  The other frustrating thing is that when I open the menu on my iphone, I can't "stretch" (enlarge) the menu graphic and it's so small that it's unreadable.  If they could fix one or both, that'd be great!

PS - I do have pictures I can post, but I don't want to offend anyone (Don!) from the other thread :D

• Like 1