sklarithy

Rose's Luxury, Chef Aaron Silverman's Modern-American Phenomenon on 8th and G Street in Barracks Row

18 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

At its best, Rose’s Luxury was a relatively inexpensive yet creative and well executed joint.  Frank Ruta is no Aaron Silverman.  It’s restaurant that I'm glad I waited in line for.  I can't say the same about Bad Saint.  At this point, you can just pay the big bucks and get reservation for Pineapple and Pearls.

It probably was - I wished I had tried to get to Rose's Luxury before the real swarms of people descended on it. The lines would have been shorted and it'd probably have been worth it I am sure. I have thought about Pineapple and Pearls, but I am kind of over tasting menus where I do not get to pick and choose, Not a complete deal breaker but maybe one of these days I will give P&P a try.

6 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

@Pool Boy worships the ground Ruta walks on.  So I'm just pointing out how he's missing out because he hates waiting in line. 😅

That's because I love what he does with food! And I know my desire for reservations makes me miss out. That said, I have waited at places from time to time - like Hot Doug's in Chicago before it shut down. Or even the one decent restaurant in West Yellowstone this past fall while on vacation (but only because I had no choice)

4 hours ago, MarkS said:

@Pool Boy needs to have the crack chicken at the Boqueria.  They have reservations.

Is this what you are talking about? 

POLLO RUSTIDO Catalan style roasted chicken, Ibérico lard, lemon, herbs, salsa verde

1 hour ago, Pool Boy said:

It probably was - I wished I had tried to get to Rose's Luxury before the real swarms of people descended on it. The lines would have been shorted and it'd probably have been worth it I am sure. I have thought about Pineapple and Pearls, but I am kind of over tasting menus where I do not get to pick and choose, Not a complete deal breaker but maybe one of these days I will give P&P a try.

That's because I love what he does with food! And I know my desire for reservations makes me miss out. That said, I have waited at places from time to time - like Hot Doug's in Chicago before it shut down. Or even the one decent restaurant in West Yellowstone this past fall while on vacation (but only because I had no choice)

Is this what you are talking about? 

POLLO RUSTIDO Catalan style roasted chicken, Ibérico lard, lemon, herbs, salsa verde

Yup.  Somehow I am coded as Chicken Mark from Annapolis.  Always order it and they think Naptown is next galaxy.  This is great Chicken.  Not Ruta Chicken but still great,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkS said:

Yup.  Somehow I am coded as Chicken Mark from Annapolis.  Always order it and they think Naptown is next galaxy.  This is great Chicken.  Not Ruta Chicken but still great,

Nice. I'll have to check it out.

FWIW, if you get on the mailing list, every December Rose's puts gift certificates for sale. With the certificate comes the ability to make a reservation.

We  had reservations last Saturday! Our first time there. No chicken on the menu this time but we did enjoy pastas!

On 1/6/2020 at 9:11 PM, Pool Boy said:

I have heard of that. A possibility, but again - I prefer a reservation. Most other restaurants I can book days weeks, a month or more in advance. Why have the hassle of finding someone to do that for you the day of when you want to go and then, you may not even dine when you want to.

Same problem, no planning ahead ability - I must be unique in my desire to know I have a place  reserved for me more than 12 hours ahead of time.

You have the exact same sentiments as my husband on this.  It's why we haven't been to some places we would otherwise go.

I just saw on Instagram that Rose's is now taking reservations for any size party, any night they are open.  Wow! 

They also have this note pop up when you go to their website:

To our guests:  We are taking steps to keep our restaurant safe, we have always and will continue to follow and exceed food safety and sanitation protocols required by the DC Department of Health, CDC and WHO. Additionally:  

• Our staff is utilizing company wide paid sick leave to make sure we keep our workplace healthy and safe.
  • We are vigilant with sanitization of all high touch surfaces.
  • We are offering hand sanitizer throughout the restaurant.
  • We have added additional spacing between tables to allow for staff and guests to remain at more comfortable distances.
  • We are implementing no-touch payment options.

If you wish to dine out, we want you to know that we are now accepting reservations for  any party size, any night of the week. 

As well, Rose's at Home will come cook in your home any night of the week. We will also have takeout and delivery options coming soon.

• Like 2

I don't care if it's gonna cost like $15+ to deliver to Adams Morgan - if I can get a pork sausage lychee bowl delivered to me I'm absolutely going to do that.  I think this kind of thing is a good measure to take but not sure if it'll matter in a matter of days / weeks if we end up like Italy in a lockdown mode.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:50 PM, FranklinDubya said:

I don't care if it's gonna cost like $15+ to deliver to Adams Morgan - if I can get a pork sausage lychee bowl delivered to me I'm absolutely going to do that.  I think this kind of thing is a good measure to take but not sure if it'll matter in a matter of days / weeks if we end up like Italy in a lockdown mode.

They started their delivery service last night.  The lychee bowl is on the menu for $15.  I couldn't find any info about delivery area or delivery charges though. 

3 hours ago, Bart said:

They started their delivery service last night.  The lychee bowl is on the menu for $15.  I couldn't find any info about delivery area or delivery charges though. 

I'm seeing carry out but not delivery yet.  Hopefully added soon but I imagine there's a rush of places all trying to do this at once.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FranklinDubya said:

I've got Rose's at Home 2 night package coming tomorrow.  Pumped!

That's great! Can't wait to hear about it.

• Like 1

Hubby and I got the three night package for anniversary the past few days.  I was really impressed at the value for three, three course meals.  It was really nice to have three nights worth of dinners covered too!

Our menu:

Wedge salad, with buttermilk dressing, garlic breadcrumbs, Rigatoni Pasta Alla Norma with Eggplant, Strawberry Shortcake.

Pork and Lychee salad, chicken katsu, oat cookie with oat milk.

Spring Crudite with French Onion Dip, roasted pork with a fresh salsa, rice-cannelini bean, kale.

There were also two muffins included, and some candles and etc.  Very cute!

Everything came packed really nicely with garnishes and sauces separated out, and it had cooking instructions, the first night was microwave only, the second two required brief oven cooking.  For me the first night was a real highlight.  The pasta was really good with a great rich, spicy, garlic flavor.  I liked how they did the cream for the strawberry shortcake a little more solid so it held up.  The strawberries were really good and tasted like the height of Spring.  The pork and lychee was still very good.  I liked the Chicken Katsu a lot, as well.  I was really impressed with the rice on the last night, and the pork was cooked really well and had a nice smoke, and still was incredibly juicy and flavorful despite being in the fridge a few days.  Hubby thought the crudite was a bit phoning it in, but we both were really, really happy with the meals, and the price, and the whole process.  We would do this again with another menu!  Hubby has never been to Rose's but would like to go.  I have been and no, it wasn't quite the same as in person (I will never forget getting to go with a DR member and friends to the rooftop, that was just so much fun), but you still felt very special and cared for, and it was just a lot of fun, and we felt a little fancier than we have the past few months.

So a big, big Thank you to Rose's Luxury as this made our anniversary still feel special, and right now, that is EVERYTHING.  For anyone debating doing this, I would highly recommend it.  It is a really great value for impressive cooking, and the care and planning that it had to take to make this work over a three night period in the fridge, to still have this quality, they put a lot of work into this, and it shows.

• Like 7

Here are some photos from May 15 (no Cauliflower Korma to be found):

IMG_5583.jpgIMG_5574.jpgIMG_5575.jpgIMG_5578.jpgIMG_5579.jpg

And with coffee the next morning: IMG_5584.jpg

• Like 2