Russian Cuisine

Does anyone have suggestions on where is the best place to go for Russian food?  I'm pretty fond of Russia House.  It has a kindof weird James Bond feel to it and the food is surprisingly tasty for a place that has a vodka menu the size of a novel.

But I know there are other places in the area that could be as fun or more.  If you've been to any (or have a "friend" who went to one and hated it) I would like to hear what you or your friend have to say.

Does anyone have suggestions on where is the best place to go for Russian food?  I'm pretty fond of Russia House.  It has a kindof weird James Bond feel to it and the food is surprisingly tasty for a place that has a vodka menu the size of a novel.

But I know there are other places in the area that could be as fun or more.  If you've been to any (or have a "friend" who went to one and hated it) I would like to hear what you or your friend have to say.

If you like Russia House, you'll probably like Marie Vanna more.

Although I haven't tried the Borsch, I liked the "Basket of Pirozhok" (which should be named "Basket of Pirozhki" if you're getting more than one (and yes, I'm a pedantic douche)) and also the "Siberian Palmeni."

This place is faux-Russian, and probably gets loud and clubby, but I can easily envision a Latina Babushka in back, rolling these dumplings during the day - they're good.

Domku in Petworth isn't purely or mostly Russian but is regionally relevant. I think it decent and don't at all regret occasional visits. From their website's "about us" section:

The eclectic menu of mostly Slavic and Scandinavian fare has brought pierogis, borscht, goulash, Janssen's Temptation, and pickled herring into the everyday language of DC diners. Our menu stays as true to the foods of the region as possible but journeys, on occasion, to other former Soviet bloc regions such as Hungary, Bulgaria and the Caucasus.

Very different (some might say freakishly so) but more on the Russian bullseye is the often forgotten but vividly memorable (if you visit) Serbian Crown in Great Falls.  If an extensive selection of flavored vodkas, lion and other "exotic game" on the menu and "ladies menus" intrigues, read on. Self-described as the "area's only 4-star French and  Russian fine dining experience,"  you'll want to check the somewhat dated and less-active thread here on DR.com as part of any research before deciding whether to venture here.  Nothing else like it in the region; that's for sure.  The website's a hoot--make sure your volume is up before launching it.  Medvedev seemed to enjoy burgers at Rays' some years ago with Obama but then he lost his job...and maybe his head.  If Putin came here and lunched with whomever (maybe Alex Ovechkin and Sergey Kislyak), he'd surely be interested in Serbian Crown. It's a very "manly" place which might appreciate a customer riding up shirtless on a wild stallion.

P.S., If you're on the fence not only about Serbian Crown but even about checking the DR thread, I can suggest you just skim the thread.  One of the more succinct posts (by Waitman) is also the most entertaining.