Montmartre Restaurant Francais (2001-2020), Chef Brian Wilson on 7th St. and Pennsylvania Ave. in SE Capitol Hill Closed

My wife and I had dinner last night at Montmartre, the first time with the new winter menu. As always, we had a wonderful experience. The dining room was slammed, but we happily ate at the bar. We had the Bruschetta special and the Ravioles as appetizers and the Beef Cheeks and the Venison loin for our main courses. The Ravioles and the Venison were the highlights.

Great food and great service. Highly recommend it.

Anyone been recently that cares to report back on recent menu updates, etc? I'm going with some friends tonight and have never been before. I think it'll be too cold to eat outside unfortunately, but looking forward to it none-the-less!

The menu stays somewhat the same...winners are:

Cabbage Soup (if on the menu)

Pate

mussels

Braised oxtail in phyllo dough (wasn't on the menu last time I was there)

Hanger Steak

Braised Rabbit

Went to Montmartre tonight with three friends and had a good meal. The space is smaller than I realized, so we had a few tight squeezes past us when servers were delivering food or something. But that really wasn't an issue. I can't for the life of me remember what wine we had, but it was something our waiter recommended and it was very good.

I started with the cabbage soup and although it was way too hot to eat when it was brought to the table, it was good (not great). The others had the cauliflower soup and the zucchini soup. Both were devoured...the cauliflower soup was apparently delicious but a little rich.

I was very tempted by the hangar steak, but since I'd just had it at Central and loved it so much, I wasn't sure this one could stand up to my expectations. Instead, two of us had a dinner special of skate served with fava beans, carrots, bacon, etc. This was an awesome dish. The skate was completely devoid of bones (thankfully) and seasoned lightly but deliciously. And the bacon in the vegetables on the side is always a welcome addition. The other two got scallops and liked them but said they preferred the scallops at Corduroy and Tallula.

No room for dessert although the dessert tray looked tasty.

The servers as well as the other patrons were very friendly to us and we had a lovely experience. Definitely plan to go back at some point.

Went to Montmartre tonight with three friends and had a good meal. The space is smaller than I realized, so we had a few tight squeezes past us when servers were delivering food or something. But that really wasn't an issue.
That space and the Ben and Jerry's next door used to be the Southeast Station post office. It's a much more pleasant use of the space, but neither of the two businesses ended up with a lot of room to spare.

Montmartre last night, a Tuesday, was the most slammed I've ever seen a restaurant on a weekday, or even on a weekend for that matter. We arrived a few minutes late for an 8 pm reservation and every table, inside and outside, was occupied, with others queuing up for a chance at an outside table. On the one hand we were glad to see a Hill restaurant so well attended, especially after the Market fire, but the frenetic activity did not make for a relaxing dinner for two, which my wife and I had devoutly hoped for after recently reaching "kid saturation" point.

We were shown to the only remaining table inside, which happened to be also one of the worst. Due to the frenzied traffic pattern we were forced to sit side by side rather than across from each other, but no big deal. Service was well-meaning but clumsy. Every item was auctioned off as it arrived--for a table of only two people. The wine service was what I now must conclude is standard for Montmartre: both wines, red and white, were far too warm, and my split of Medoc would not have arrived without my reminder. The food was good. I had a Vietnamese-style shrimp special appetizer with crushed red pepper and lime, the shrimp butterflied and sautéed to good effect. My hangar steak looked and tasted more like short ribs, but it was perfectly cooked and delicious, as were the sautéed fingerlings that accompanied it, though the dish as a whole seemed to be thrown together. My wife enjoyed her scallops served with a bulgar salad. The pear and blueberry tarts for dessert were also good.

So all in all, decent bistro fare, but we left more stressed out than when we arrived. And I really do wish Montmartre would learn how to store and serve wine.

I have found a new favorite dish at Montmartre. I have long been a huge fan of their hangar steak, although I'm not the sort to order the same thing over & over. But today, I switched it up and ordered the veal skirt, which was tender and superb! I can't emphasize enough how nicely the meat was cooked... each piece was like a pillow. With an array of onions, tomatoes, and a sauce similar to the hangar (plus a side of fresh greens), it may be my new obsession there.

When Montmartre is on its game, no restaurant on Capitol Hill can touch it. Hell, few restaurants in DC can touch it, in my opinion. Fortunately, in my experience, Montmartre is more often on its game than off. Every time I go I think, "Damn, why don't I come here more often?" Last night's dinner was one of my best there, and got me asking that question all over again.

Friday was a bleak, damp, and chilly day, and after spending most of it toiling in front of the computer, I felt a serious need for some comfort food. Chestnut soup and braised rabbit at Montmartre! I thought. Let's see if I can get a table for one last minute. Lo and behold, I got in, and on one of the high tables back by the kitchen. When I'm there by myself, that's my favorite place to sit--I watch the cooks ply their craft and the marvelous dishes served up for delivery, and say to myself, "I should have ordered that!"

Thus it was my plans for the soup and rabbit fell by the wayside. First, I started seeing the first course special of comte cheese fried in phyllo on top of mixed greens being served up, and I knew I had to have it. The perfectly golden and crispy rectangle of breaded cheese was actually a light and savory contrast to the greens. But I was still determined to get that rabbit--the epitome of Capitol Hill comfort food, in my opinion. (The Montmartre martini--gin, sweet vermouth, and triple sec--was a nice accompaniment.)

But then I saw the spectacular fish courses being served up--some of the largest entrees I have ever seen at Montmartre, and my eyes started scanning the menu for something without legs. They settled on a delicious-sounding rockfish with red beet risotto, white wine veloute, and roasted asparagus (ok, a bit out of season for the latter). That was it--the rabbit could wait for another winter visit. And I was proved completely right. A tender, flaky, medium size fillet of rockfish (maybe 3" by 4"?) was elevated on a platform of four perfectly roasted asparagi atop a lovely dark pink risotto, ringed by the creamy veloute. The risotto did not have deep beet flavor, but this didn't matter, because the veloute enriched every bit as it melded with the small morsels of beet and evenly cooked arborio. I loved every bite of this dish (along with the Toasted Head Shiraz special by the glass).

Locanda is good, Sonoma is fine, but Montmartre is still the Capitol Hill standard bearer. Yeah, it's brunches can be a bit boring, the space gets tight, the service erratic, particularly to the uninitiated. But after five years or so, it still has few rivals in this city as a neighborhood restaurant that really delivers exquisite food day in and day out. Damn, I need to go here more often!

Locanda is good, Sonoma is fine, but Montmartre is still the Capitol Hill standard bearer.

Sounds like a nice evening. Montmartre opened a few years after we first moved to the Hill. At that time it was the only restaurant of any merit around; foodwise, it has maintained a generally high standard worthy of its growing competition. But I find if you dine alone you have better chances for getting good service than if you add a few people (which belies the usual assumption that solitary diners get short shrift). Add a few more people or a full house, however, and Montmartre's service becomes not only erratic, which would be understandable, but downright shoddy. (Incidentally, if you have to be "initiated" to get good service, then the service is by definition erratic--or worse.)

Had a pleasant early dinner at Montmarte tonight, and the no alcohol on the patio before 6 PM rule still applies. It really filled up outside after that. Country pate and rillettes with cornichons and cherry tomatoes to start. A house salad and a Belgian endive salad with walnuts and blue cheese. Duck leg confit with tarbais beans. Hanger steak with red potatoes, snow peas, caramelized shallots and red wine sauce. I've liked the endive salad more in the past, but it was still fine. The rillettes were slightly dry, but I like the combination of them on the board with the country pate, instead of having to choose between them.

Took the +1 to his first Montmartre experience last night and we both came away very happy. Last time I went service was very spotty (i.e. waiting about 10 minutes for them to come pick up our credit cards after they had brought the check), but thankfully no service snafus this visit.

We ordered the endive salad to split and they thoughtfully brought it out already divided into two bowls and arranged just as nicely as if it came all in one. This is such a light and refreshing combination of the endive, thin apple slices, bleu cheese and a few walnuts scattered throughout. And 1/2 a salad was really plenty as an appetizer.

My main course was the special for the night of sablefish with basmati rice, baby squash and califlower in a lemon and caper sauce. I really can't complain about anything with this dish. I don't think I'd ever had sablefish before but it was buttery and sauce and the skin had am amazing seasoning on it and was nice and crisp. The BF had the cod which was served with sugar snap peas, red peppers and I'm not sure what sauce. The taste I had of his was very good but I definitely preferred mine (I think he would've preferred mine too, but we try to make it a habit to order different entrees).

All the desserts looked amazing and tempting, but we opted to split the lemon tart. It was more tart than I was expecting (not nearly as sweet as a typical lemon bar or lemon pie) but was very good. Refreshing end to a great meal.

I had a wonderful smoky split pea and bacon soup at Montmartre last night. It was a big bowl of soup too. Between that and the bread (and an ill-advised late afternoon snack), I was too full to eat much of my monkfish with gnocchi and vegetables. I ate more of the gnocchi than anything. My husband enjoyed the vegetable (and walnut?) tart to start and short ribs with sweet potato gratin and cabbage. Our dining companion had a scallop and arugula special (which looked wonderful--I declined a bite) and the venison osso buco, which he raved about. He also loved the creme brulee for dessert.

We drank part of a couple of bottles of wine he selected from the wine list. The second, which we thought had a more complex flavor, was a Gigondas. I forgot about the new DC wine policy or I would have suggested he get them to pack up the rest of (at least) the second bottle to take back to his hotel.

Service was excellent. I felt bad I didn't eat more of my fish. The server seemed worried that something was wrong with it. I asked for it to be wrapped up so I could bring it home, so I hope that convinced them I didn't dislike it :P.

They just took over the former Ben and Jerry's space this week and are currently working with designers and contractors on their plans for the space. I don't know how set their concept and menu plans are at this point but I believe I can safely say that it will be independent from Montmartre and will not really be French cuisine. Everything else I know is hearsay and I'll wait to share until after talking directly with Stephane or Chris.

As an aside, Montmartre is where I took my wife on our first date and also where we dined the night I proposed.

Quick questions - do they accept reservation and will we need reservation for early Saturday evening (around 6 p.m.)? How's the parking situation? valet? street parking?
They do accept reservations. I would make one to be sure you can get a table without having to wait but you might be fine without one. It's street parking, and parking can be tight, especially since the street just down from there will be closed for construction for the next few months. It's a very short walk from Eastern Market metro station if metro is an option for you. If not much is going on nearby, you might not have to park too far away, but you won't likely find something on 7th. St. or on the section of C Street that's right there.

It occurs to me that the market will still be open at 6 PM, which might complicate things traffic and parking-wise. Whatever flea market activity there is will probably be over by then, though.

Saturday was quite nasty, cold and wet so we didn't have an issue parking about a block away, right on Penn Ave. At 6, the place was already packed so it was fortunate that we had reservation. The menu is relatively small but full of tasty-sounding dishes. We had pate and cod with pureed potatoes as appetizer. My entree was rabbit with fettucini while my wife had something chocolaty (yeah, she skipped the entree because she had a late lunch and wasn't hungry). The rabbit was good but not as good as the rabbit with spatzle served at Central, both were cooked wonderfully but I like Central's sauce better. The service was very prompt. Less than 2 minutes after ordering, we got our pate and cod potato, which incidentally was pretty good in a fishy kind of way (the flavor definitely is dominated by the fish - reminded me of baccala).

I don't get out for brunch all that often, but Montmartre's buckwheat crepe with egg, spinach, tomato, swiss cheese and smoked salmon or prosciutto strikes me as the ideal dish for a lazy weekend midday meal. Yesterday the crepe was both lightly sour and modestly crisp, wrapped around the wilted greens, tomato, and salmon, and a perfect over-easy egg, whose yolk suffused the whole when I cut into it. At $13.95, it's not cheap, but quite filling, and goes perfectly with their peppery bloody mary. In the past year Montmartre has expanded its brunch menu nicely, including more varieties of omelets and mussels, fewer lunch-type dishes, and, from the bite I had yesterday, a good croque monsieur. But this buckwheat crepe (which is also offered in a veggie version) is a real star, and worth returning for.

I don't get out for brunch all that often, but Montmartre's buckwheat crepe with egg, spinach, tomato, swiss cheese and smoked salmon or prosciutto strikes me as the ideal dish for a lazy weekend midday meal. Yesterday the crepe was both lightly sour and modestly crisp, wrapped around the wilted greens, tomato, and salmon, and a perfect over-easy egg, whose yolk suffused the whole when I cut into it. At $13.95, it's not cheap, but quite filling, and goes perfectly with their peppery bloody mary. In the past year Montmartre has expanded its brunch menu nicely, including more varieties of omelets and mussels, fewer lunch-type dishes, and, from the bite I had yesterday, a good croque monsieur. But this buckwheat crepe (which is also offered in a veggie version) is a real star, and worth returning for.

Somehow today is the first time I've ever been to Montmarte for brunch. There was a line of people waiting for tables even before they opened. What a gorgeous day for sitting on the patio and having a meal.

I pondered the crepes* but settled on the Croque Monsieur, which was pretty good. The romaine and carrot salad that came alongside was light and filling at the same time. I enjoyed it, despite not being a fan of salad accompaniments for morning meals. My friend enjoyed her Eggs Benedict with pancetta. She commented on how light (in a good way) the hollandaise was. The presentation on both plates was simple yet artful. Normally, that doesn't strike me so much (or matter!) for an early meal, but it caught my attention.

We'd already fueled up on caffeine so only drank water, leaving the bill fairly modest (and cheaper than I would have expected). It was a pleasing amount of food: not too much and not too little.

*I love buckwheat anything but am so-so on crepes. I should get over that :(.

Headed up to Capital Hill area for some restaurant exploration last week (after drinks and olives on Leleboo's deck with her and her +1 - thanks guys!) First tried to hit Acqua a 2 but alas, it was insanely packed. I walked instead down the block to Montmartre, which I had heard many good things about and had been on my to do list for a couple of years.

I sat at the (very tiny) bar and started with Pastis Mussels. The waiter/bartender tried to warn me making sure I knew what Pastis was (some people are put off by the anise/licorice flavor) but I told him no worries. If anything they could have used an extra dash of the Pastis - by three to four bites into the course the flavor was almost completely lost. The mussels themselves were quite good, however - plump and juicy and quite fresh.

For my main I went with the Duck Leg Confit served with a lentil salad and a light arugula/fennel concoction. The sides were, if anything, slightly too light for the dish. The lentils in particular were perhaps a bit bland. The duck itself was a tad tough but holy cow, the skin. Some of the best I have ever had - crispy and decadent without being greasy. I could probably have eaten a second portion of just the skin alone (but would have regretted it later I am sure.)

For dessert I was talked into the Chocolate Mousse by the owner and his girlfriend/wife (not sure which) which turned out to be one of the best I have ever had. Deep chocolate flavor with a great texture - not too thick and not too airy - topped with the great little crunchy chocolate bb-sized balls. The contrast of the crunch with the smoothness of the mousse itself was a presentation I have not seen before in a mousse and was quite effective.

All in all I would put the place in the A-/B+ range. Pretty solid, unpretentious bistro fare at a very reasonable price.

topped with the great little crunchy chocolate bb-sized balls. The contrast of the crunch with the smoothness of the mousse itself was a presentation I have not seen before in a mousse and was quite effective.

central does this. i haven't entirely made up my mind what i think of it.

For dessert I was talked into the Chocolate Mousse by the owner and his girlfriend/wife (not sure which) which turned out to be one of the best I have ever had. Deep chocolate flavor with a great texture - not too thick and not too airy - topped with the great little crunchy chocolate bb-sized balls. The contrast of the crunch with the smoothness of the mousse itself was a presentation I have not seen before in a mousse and was quite effective.

Try the one at Et Voila!

Try the one at Et Voila!

Y'all, we've had this conversation before ... :)

It had been far too long since I'd been to Montmartre, but it may be longer still before I return.

What used to be perhaps the finest French bistro in the city is now a shell of its former self, starting with the (once very good, now merely workable) wine list which drove our table to Gin and Tonics for an aperitif.

I wanted to sample a broad (if not deep) representation of the menu, so I got two appetizers:

Chilled Pea Soup ($7.95) with crème fraîche

Escargolade ($7.95) in garlic butter Mère Anne style

and two entrees:

Artic Char (which they had the Gaul (sorry) to call Omble de Chevalier, $20.95) with asparagus, rapini, zucchini, roasted tomatoes, and lemon caper vinaigrette

Hanger Steak ($20.95) with fingerling potato cream, Brussels sprouts, pearl onions, shallot and red wine sauce

All four dishes ranged from boring (soup, fish) to unpleasant (snails) to impossibly bad (steak - how do you ruin a hanger steak?), and although I found a decent Chinon Blanc by Olga Raffault for $38, this was not money well-spent.

To Montmartre's credit, it is not an expensive restaurant - only one entree is priced above $20.95, and most appetizers are in the single digits.

Needless to say, downgraded, and I'll add that my most recent meal at Belga Café was sub-par as well. So where does that leave the Eastern Market and Barracks Row area as a dining destination, despite it arguably being "the hottest place in town" right now for opening restaurants? Not at the bottom of the list, but absolutely not at the top either, with several decent options, but precious little worth going out of your way for. The crowds may think otherwise, but I have no problem walking this path alone until something changes my mind. To the best of my knowledge, there is currently no great restaurant here: They're all aiming medium-low, and they're all hitting their targets.

Cheers,

Rocks

What used to be perhaps the finest French bistro in the city is now a shell of its former self

Yikes! Could it have been an off night? I'm not a wine connoisseur so I can't comment on the wine list, but we had a fine 2009 Christmas Eve dinner there.

There has been a fair amount of discussion about the upcoming closure at Seven Hill for renovations starting this coming Monday (July 9). Montmartre will also be closing after service on Sunday, July 8, but reopening approximately one week later. This has to do with the renovations to the building itself, and from what I understand any obvious changes to the restaurant will be minimal.

Needless to say, downgraded, and I'll add that my most recent meal at Belga Café was sub-par as well. So where does that leave the Eastern Market and Barracks Row area as a dining destination, despite it arguably being "the hottest place in town" right now for opening restaurants? Not at the bottom of the list, but absolutely not at the top either, with several decent options, but precious little worth going out of your way for. The crowds may think otherwise, but I have no problem walking this path alone until something changes my mind. To the best of my knowledge, there is currently no great restaurant here: They're all aiming medium-low, and they're all hitting their targets.

I last posted about 4 years ago, but Don's quote was so precisely right that I awoke from my slumber. He precisely stated a long-time source of frustration: I can't figure out why my neighborhood continue to be such a dining wasteland. The number of restaurants that have opened in the neighborhood in the last five years have netted no stand-outs. The few highlights have either closed (Locanda, Ba Bay--what is it with that location?--hoping Jamie Leeds can keep Hank's Part III open there), started out strong in the kitchen then dropped off (Sonoma, Zest--remarkably honest and clean cooking when they first opened), or gotten stale over time (Belga, Montmartre). The rest over the market is oversaturated with craptastic food or are owned by Xavier Becerra which means, 8 establishments guaranteeing long bars, wood panelling, decent drinks, middling service, and likely no more than one thing on the menu that I'll ever want to order. Sure, Seventh Hill is great, Cava's decent albeit shockingly loud with generally poor service, and there a few hole-in-the walls that are fine for the occassional quick bite, but there is a serious lack of decent options for mid-range dining.

Considering the high-density residential neighborhood, the high average income of the area, the low-level of existing competition, and my personal promise to become a loyal regular and spend a shitload of money on any restaurant that can deliver seasonal, clean flavors, I would think the neighboorhood would have more appeal to restauranteurs. The idea of the hill marketplace as exlusively 20-year old staffers living in group houses seems to persist, despite being remarkably off-base as a reflection of the current demographics.

The market exists, the real question is why it's not being met.

I last posted about 4 years ago, but Don's quote was so precisely right that I awoke from my slumber. He precisely stated a long-time source of frustration: I can't figure out why my neighborhood continue to be such a dining wasteland. The number of restaurants that have opened in the neighborhood in the last five years have netted no stand-outs. The few highlights have either closed (Locanda, Ba Bay--what is it with that location?--hoping Jamie Leeds can keep Hank's Part III open there), started out strong in the kitchen then dropped off (Sonoma, Zest--remarkably honest and clean cooking when they first opened), or gotten stale over time (Belga, Montmartre). The rest over the market is oversaturated with craptastic food or are owned by Xavier Becerra which means, 8 establishments guaranteeing long bars, wood panelling, decent drinks, middling service, and likely no more than one thing on the menu that I'll ever want to order. Sure, Seventh Hill is great, Cava's decent albeit shockingly loud with generally poor service, and there a few hole-in-the walls that are fine for the occassional quick bite, but there is a serious lack of decent options for mid-range dining.

Considering the high-density residential neighborhood, the high average income of the area, the low-level of existing competition, and my personal promise to become a loyal regular and spend a shitload of money on any restaurant that can deliver seasonal, clean flavors, I would think the neighboorhood would have more appeal to restauranteurs. The idea of the hill marketplace as exlusively 20-year old staffers living in group houses seems to persist, despite being remarkably off-base as a reflection of the current demographics.

The market exists, the real question is why it's not being met.

Well ...

I think you're going to be really happy when Montmartre reopens ...

I wish I could say more.

Well ...

I wish I could say more.

From ''unpleasant snails" to my great white hope in just a few weeks... I'll keep my fingers crossed while I tremble in anticipation... :rolleyes:

I will say I'm genuinely intrigued by this. A change in or addition to the kitchen did not come up when I dropped in yesterday, but then again I didn't ask. And I appear to be a bit of a dissenting voice on this restaurant, which has consistently been among my favorites in the city for the past decade.

Okay, I got permission: Brian Wilson will be the new Chef de Cuisine at Montmartre.

"Who is Brian Wilson," you say?

He's one of "those cooks," like Barry Koslow and Logan Cox and Ron Tanaka used to be - unknown to the general public, but highly respected by his peers. He's done his time in kitchens such as Palena, 2941, New Heights, and Eola, and he's got serious chops.

Most recently, Brian was Chef de Cuisine at Tallula and EatBar, but that was just not a good fit for either him or Neighborhood Restaurant Group (the next chef at Tallula and EatBar, however, will be a *much* better fit - not because he's a better chef (they're both excellent chefs), but because he's just a better fit within the organization).

So Montmartre ... comes out a winner.

Tallula and EatBar ... comes out a winner.

At least that's how I see things on this July 5th. Congratulations to everyone involved because I see this as a no-lose situation. Out of the blue, both of these restaurants now have the potential to become (once again) the best in their respective neighborhoods. Considering we're talking about SE Capitol Hill and Clarendon, that's pretty heady stuff.

What's this I said yesterday about breaking news? Eh. Sometimes it's kind of fun.

I'm certainly happy. Montmartre has reopened and is firing on all cylinders. My husband and I enjoyed our anniversary dinner there (well, until he went to pay the bill and discovered his ATM card was missing from his wallet. Fortunately, it had fallen out of his wallet in the car and they were reunited before too long. I'll hope for a less stressful end to the meal next time <_< .)

I thought the endive salad could have used a touch more dressing, and I was confused by the presence of a couple of cherry tomato halves that didn't seem to belong and...well, that's it as far as complaints go. It was a large and very satisfying salad with lots of crunch. It had apples, walnuts, blue cheese, and some greenery in addition to the endive. My main course of lamb loin was cooked an impeccable medium rare, served with beautiful peas and a small slab of potato gratin. The thin slices of potato were paired with an assertive cheese that I craved more of once I was done my meal. My husband started with a colorful gazpacho that he proclaimed quite good. His hanger steak came with haricots verts and I don't recall what else. The red wine (shallot?) sauce was addictive. I kept asking for more bites of meat to get more of the sauce.

Thinking back I can't recall having a bad meal at Montmartre, but this was as good as any I've ever had there.

A couple of weeks ago Todd Kliman in his Washingtonian chat referred to Montmartre as the "most underrated dining experience in the city right now." I have no way to verify the truth of that claim, but Brian Wilson is putting out one of the best variations on the tired old beet salad and goat cheese salad I've encountered in a long time. Here, it is a beet terrine--orange beets layered with a beet aspic, a goat cheese-hazelnut mousse, garnished with dried cherries, hazelnuts, and greens. Served as a pair of large-ish triangular wedges, it is a great shareable appetizer--one of the best opening acts I've encountered anywhere as of late.

As far as my other recent visits go--mostly brunch, admittedly--I was less impressed with the mushroom fricasee--too many diverse ingredients that were rich but didn't add up to a coherent dish. It is curious how, on the weekends, the quiche lorraine is served as a substantial rectangular slab, but for lunch, it is done as a circular tart. Both are fluffy, moist, and flavorful, but the lunch version is more quiche-like, while the weekend version is more of a frittata. (At least, that's how it looked to me; this is how Bob reported it). The crepe florentine, while well executed, lacks the flavor that one gets in the other buckwheat crepes I've had there, which are quite substantial.

But looking over the fish dishes I saw being delivered last week, my eyes were popping and mouth drooling. I wonder if there are Kickstarter programs for un- or underemployed food lovers.

A couple of weeks ago Todd Kliman in his Washingtonian chat referred to Montmartre as the "most underrated dining experience in the city right now." I have no way to verify the truth of that claim, but Brian Wilson is putting out one of the best variations on the tired old beet salad and goat cheese salad I've encountered in a long time.

[FWIW, I moved Montmartre to #1 in South Capitol Hill the day Brian Wilson went there - I saw enough of his work in the past to have a pretty good idea what was coming.]

Apparently Chef Brian Wilson departed Montmartre a couple of weeks ago to helm the kitchen at Mad Fox across the river in NoVA. While my last visit was fairly recent (October?), I do wish I had gotten back for one last meal with him in their kitchen.

Apparently Chef Brian Wilson departed Montmartre a couple of weeks ago to helm the kitchen at Mad Fox across the river in NoVA. While my last visit was fairly recent (October?), I do wish I had gotten back for one last meal with him in their kitchen.

It's true. :(

I went to Montmartre twice at the end of 2013, just to have Brian's Steak Tartare which was my personal favorite rendition in the city. I sure hope Mad Fox gives him some liberty in the kitchen - he's got a *lot* of mouths to feed over there, many of whom are in it for the pizzas and burgers.

Finally made it to Montmartre last night, and it was phenomenal.  We sat at the bar (which is tiny), so we had a nice view of the kitchen - it seemed to be the only place where French was not being spoken!

When we saw warm octopus on the menu, we knew we had to try it - Jason and I both love it, but more restaurants mess it up than get it right.  When we sank our teeth into this version, however, we both looked at each other and had the same thought - that this version was even better than the amazing ones we enjoyed in Spain.  It was so tender and so flavorful - the whole dish, including the marinated lentils and roasted tomatoes with arugula, was fantastically harmonious.  I'm still thinking about it this morning.  We also ordered the steak tartare, which was really, really good as well, but I think it was outshone by the octopus.

We both got specials for our entrees - Jason got a roasted duck, and I can't remember now what was served with it, but it was cooked and seasoned impeccably.  My mahi mahi with artichokes, ham, potato puree, fresh chickpeas, ramp pesto, and saffron sauce had a lot going on, but the fish was cooked perfectly and the ingredients all worked together very well.  When I got a bite with ham, the seasoning was spot on; otherwise, it needed a smidge more salt (our only minor complaint of the evening).

Even though we were pretty full, I had seen the dessert tray go by about a dozen times, so I knew we were going to finish with something sweet.  The lemon-coconut tart and the mixed berry tart were both tasty and not too sugary sweet, and the fresh whipped cream was a very nice treat.

With two rounds of cocktails/wine, three courses each, and a coffee for me, the total before tax and tip was $155.  I mean, COME ON.  It's not going to get much better than that.  I can't wait to go back.  FYI, they said they were changing up their menu in about a week.

• Like 7

Finally made it to Montmartre last night, and it was phenomenal.  ...

With two rounds of cocktails/wine, three courses each, and a coffee for me, the total before tax and tip was $155.  I mean, COME ON.  It's not going to get much better than that.  I can't wait to go back.  FYI, they said they were changing up their menu in about a week.

Love this post!  Not only because it has great detail and a really persuasive point of view (though those are great things!   :) ).  I love it because it does something I wish we (I) would do more:  visit and feature places that can become overshadowed by newer spots and then fall on the website's DC Restaurants forum page.  I didn't even consider Montmarte my last dozen times  dining on Cap Hill.  Sushi Capitol, Beuchert's, Rose's and other spots all crowded it out.  No more though. Next time on Cap Hill, we'll be heading here.  Betty's view is more than enough for me. After all, she's the one who turned me on to Holeman & Finch for a business trip a few years ago.   ;)

• Like 3

Love this post!  Not only because it has great detail and a really persuasive point of view (though those are great things!   :) ).  I love it because it does something I wish we (I) would do more:  visit and feature places that can become overshadowed by newer spots and then fall on the website's DC Restaurants forum page.  I didn't even consider Montmarte my last dozen times  dining on Cap Hill.  Sushi Capitol, Beuchert's, Rose's and other spots all crowded it out.  No more though. Next time on Cap Hill, we'll be heading here.  Betty's view is more than enough for me. After all, she's the one who turned me on to Holeman & Finch for a business trip a few years ago.   ;)

Thanks!   :wub:

We had been to Beuchert's the night before (though I can't say I remember much about it - hubby says I had one too many, lol), so that's part of why we decided to branch out to something new-to-us.  I know that sometimes I am wary of going to places we haven't been, simply because I want to make sure that our limited dining-out dollars are spent deliciously.  I'm excited that we can add Montmartre to our rotation.

A few weeks ago, in his review of Bistrot Lepic, Tom Sietsema described it as "friendlier than Montmartre." Granted, I'm a Capitol Hill local, but don't get there as often as I'd like, so I'm hardly a regular who gets special treatment. Yes, they are brisk in their service, but hardly chilly. I don't know what he's looking for, but this place does better than average in its service in a tight space.

At any rate, lunch today gave me an opportunity to try the steak tartare that Don has raved about, and I have to agree that it's a very good rendition, and well priced at $12, for a substantial portion. I'm no expert on this dish, but the mustard and capers that hold it together are mild, and don't overwhelm the perfectly chopped beef; they could be stronger without doing damage. A third piece of toasted foccacia would be welcome also, but the bread basket makes when you run out of the toast. I preceded this with the special heirloom tomato salad--a simple preparation of about eight wedges, accompanied with avocado, goat cheese, some spicy greens and a light balsamic vinegar. Very nice, the only downside being the tomatoes being a bit too chilled (though still flavorful). My dining companions both had the BLT, which is large and accompanied by a large amount of greens on the side. I've had this before and liked it, though at this time of year especially, having market-fresh tomatoes rather than their tomato jam would be preferred.

I forgot to post about my other recent outings here, when I brought some out-of-town cousins for dinner, and they were truly wowed. My rabbit was as good as ever (well, I think it was even better when they were new, but it's still a signature dish worth ordering). I can't remember what the others had, but everyone was immensely satisfied. And, on a couple of even earlier luncheons, the crepes, the octopus appetizer, and vegetable tartine stood out. In short, this remains one of the most steady performers on the Hill and deserves its continued success even as new places open.

OK, I guess I have been here more often than usual the past few months, so maybe I do get friendlier service than Sietsema. Tough luck for him.

• Like 1

So, no one's posted since Montmartre did a modest redecoration/remodeling in mid-August, which, it turns out, also included a modest menu revamp. The golden sponge-painted walls are gone, replaced by a stark eggshell white, with what looks like a sage green below the rustic wainscoating. The tables and chairs and layout are the same, except the bar has been elongated and oriented toward the north wall, allowing about eight or nine seats total, rather than the earlier three. It's a nice-enough change, creating a more stark, contemporary feel--almost cold, really--though I found the lighting a bit glaring (well, at least the too-bright streetlamp outside) and hard to adjust. Large abstracts on the wall both help and detract--they don't add warmth, as such, but help with the proportions. I'd give it a B- in terms of effect overall, with the new bar the best change.

On the menu, they have added a special of a French classic that changes each night--e.g., bouillabaisse on Fridays, boeuf bourguignon on Saturdays, coq au vin on Sundays. I stopped in for the last dish on Sunday evening and found a respectable version ($24)--some might want a bit more herbal flavor, but it was nice overall--the greens were a bit salty, but it had a good portion of fingerlings that weren't listed on the menu, which were a highlight. The sauteed shrimp risotto I had as a starter ($12) was also well done, with three plump shrimp. Again, not big flavor, but expertly prepared. Apparently they are also doing a happy hour Tuesday through Thursday at the expanded bar, but I have yet to stop in to find out more. In short, Montmartre is continuing after all these years to provide one of the most consistently satisfying dining experiences on the Hill--not jaw-dropping but the closest we perhaps have to a real neighborhood restaurant.

• Like 5

Sadly, Montmartre closed its doors Sunday night for the final time.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-03-10 at 10.58.01.png

Never ate here, and never happy to see a restaurant closed, but I was at first really upset because I thought this was our little DC restaurant.

Well, I have news that's almost as bad for you (although for people in Southern Maryland, it's *great* news):

Mar 8, 2016 - "Café des Artistes Welcomes New Owner" by Crista Dockray on somd.com