Italian Cooking Legend Marcella Hazan Passes Away At Age 89

Smita Nordwall

From The LA Times:

Marcella Hazan, whose many cookbooks introduced Americans to the true food of Italy, died Sunday morning at her home in Longboat Key, Fla., according to her husband, Victor Hazan. She was 89 and had been in failing health for several months.

Her daughter-in-law Lael Sara Caplan Hazan announced Hazan's death on her Facebook page. "The world of authentic home cooking has lost a giant today. My mother-in-law Marcella Hazan, melted away peacefully, my father-in-law Victor was at her side."

Hazan was sometimes compared in importance to Julia Child, and if she never quite achieved Child's personal popularity, her impact can be measured in the widespread popularity in this country of the cuisine she loved and championed.

Source: New York Times Dining & Wine

Even people who have never heard of Mrs. Hazan cook and shop differently because of her, and the six cookbooks she wrote.mf.gif

Read full article >>

Source: Washington Post Food Section

Marcella Hazan, the cooking instructor and best-selling author who propelled mid-20th-century America beyond canned beefaroni to a world of homemade pastas and what she called the "simple, true" cuisine of her native Italy, died Sept. 29 at her home in Longboat Key, Fla. She was 89.

Read full article >>mf.gif

That's a great article, I also have MH's ' The Classic Italian Cookbook '& 'More Classic Italian Cooking', & while Italian food is not the first thing I think of, when I do think of it, these are the cookbooks I turn to (OK, no one needs to tell me what a convoluted, confused sentence that is). I remember taking these paperbacks to the beach (soaking up sun, & dreaming of gnocchi). The only thing I can recall actually cooking was a bean & sauerkraut soup (how odd!), but I'm sure I've tried other things that I've forgotten. I hope future cooks will continue to enjoy her books.