Restaurant Specials for Furloughed Federal Workers

lperry

A Government Shutdown Special from Goodstone Inn & Restaurant

Goodstone Inn & Restaurant in Middleburg, Virginia is offering a complimentary glass of wine for federal

government employees with government IDs at both lunch and dinner as long as the government shutdown

lasts. Enjoy a trip to wine country, spectacular farm-to-table cuisine at The Restaurant at Goodstone, and

an afternoon walk on our breathtaking 265-acre estate. For reservations, please call 540-687-3333.

About Goodstone Inn & Restaurant

Goodstone Inn & Restaurant is a romantic country inn and restaurant in the heart of Virginia's wine and

hunt country. The historic country inn offers eighteen elegantly decorated guest rooms and suites in six in-
dividual residences restored in English and French Country decor. Drawing inspiration from its location

on 265 acres of rolling hills and farmland in Middleburg, The Restaurant at Goodstone provides its guests

with an unparalleled fine dining experience.

Goodstone won Wine Enthusiast Magazine's 100 Best Wine Restaurants 2013; Trip Advisor's 2013 Cer-
tificate of Excellence; Open Table Diner's Choice Awards for Top Best Overall Restaurants in the USA

2012; and Condé Nast Johansens Most Excellent Inn in North America 2011 and Finalist 2013 and 2012.

For more information, please call 540-687-3333.

Can't leave out the pets.  Nature's Nibbles in Del Ray will give you 20% off on all products to any Federal Employees forced to stay home. OR a free, small bag of Holistic Select dry dog or cat - Fine Print: one discount per day, one bag per customer - must have Gov work I.D.

• Like 1

For the past two days, Bayou Bakery has been giving away a free order of beignets with any size coffee purchase, with a government ID.  Check Facebook to see if they continue to do so.

Pork Barrel BBQ is offering free pulled pork sandwiches to all government employees.... except members of Congress.

Here's another list with food, drink, and other specials for the furloughed.

Cashion's Eat Place will be doing a 'Shutdown Special' over the next couple of days (weeks?!) for furloughed employees. Happy hour pricing and 50% off select appetizers with a Gov ID the entire night through the shutdown period.

Members of congress pay double.
except members of Congress
unless you're a member of Congress
{Not for Republican Congress Representatives}

;)

We are going to do an email blast from the DC bar school for a discount for people with government ID's to former contacts.   We're probably going to offer the program to members of congress also although we'll offer it at 3x the normal price as we'll have to give remedial classes on customer service.

Just FYI, there are different kinds of "essential" employees - some are truly exempt and it is business as usual, even with paychecks.  Some, like me, are excepted, which means I still get to work but I don't actually get paid until an appropriations bill is passed (and then payroll/HR has to catch up with everything, so I have no delusions of it being immediate).  Each agency probably has furloughed, excepted, and exempt employees, depending on what they do, so it would really be impossible for restaurants/bars to distinguish between the categories.

That said, regardless of the makeup of the customers who take advantage of the specials, it is really nice for federal employees to be treated in a positive manner by local businesses, since there is a LOT of hateful attitude coming in our direction these days.  I know that I am trying my best to continue to support restaurants and bars, since they suffer greatly during the shutdown as well.

• Like 4

The DC bar school is offering 25% off, or $445 off available through the end of the furlough, with a payment program.  Make a deposit and set up a start time that works for you.  Govt ID's necessary.

I personally agree with Dean on who should get specials and who shouldn't.  But not all staff agree  So we graciously to continue to offer all members of congress the program for 3x the normal cost with extensive training in customer service.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 

Saturday, January 12, 2019

AIRPORT HOSPITALITY GROUP OTG OFFERS TSA EMPLOYEES 
50 PERCENT DISCOUNT AT THEIR TERMINALS DURING 
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN 

Hospitality group offers half-off discount on meals for all TSA employees 
serving OTG airport location across U.S.

New York, NY— As the federal government shutdown stretches into its third week, one group is stepping up to make sure federal airport workers are supported on the job.

OTG, the award-winning airport hospitality group, announced it will offer a 50 percent meal discount to all on-duty TSA employees across its 10 North American airport locations for the duration of the federal government shutdown. The discount applies to all food and beverage purchases across all OTG operated terminals throughout the U.S beginning Saturday, January 12.

“The TSA plays an integral part in the travel experience. As our neighbors in the airport space, we wanted to pitch in and assist where we could during this difficult period,” said Rick Blatstein, OTG, CEO.

OTG operates retail and restaurant outlets at 10 major airports across North America, including Newark Liberty International, United Airlines Terminal C; George Bush Intercontinental, United Airlines Terminals, C & E; LaGuardia Airport, Delta Air Lines Terminals C & D; Minneapolis St. Paul, Delta Air Lines Concourse G; and Philadelphia International Airport, American Airlines Terminal B

About OTG

OTG is a hospitality group that is transforming the airport travel experience for millions of travelers every year. OTG combines world-class hospitality and award-winning cuisine with innovative design and state-of-the-art technology. OTG’s restaurant concepts are complemented by the company’s tablet experience, which was the first of its kind in the industry. Since 1996, OTG has been redefining the guest experience in airports, transforming the way passengers interact with the terminal. The company is currently one of the leading airport food and beverage operators in North America with more than 350 restaurants and retail locations across 10 airports. For more information, visit OTGexp.com.

Not sure if this applies to Reagan National or Dulles, but I'll follow up to find out for sure! 

Every little bit helps!! 

Kat

At Whole Foods Arlington they had a free meatballs spaghetti and salad dinner.  

I wasn’t aware of it, but obviously those affected are very knowledgeable.   The upstairs dining was completely packed—everyone eating meatballs and spaghetti 

Upon further research this was a chain wide meal deal throughout the region.   I hope a lot of workers took advantage of the opportunity 

Thank you for starting this topic, lperry.

I really think José Andrés might win the Nobel Peace Prize this year. Last year, I thought he'd be considered for the first time (which he was), but wouldn't be considered seriously; this year, he's a very real candidate to win the actual prize, especially in contrast to whom we have in the White House.

Funny that Eater DC didn't ask me this year, as if I somehow know less than in years past (I most assuredly don't). But, that's just Eater trying to eliminate their competition, from what I hear; I couldn't care less. On other notes, Warren Rojas and I have become much closer friends since he left Eater - this should surprise no one.

And, to those who think Puerto Rico is somehow "inferior" to the USA, let's take another look at the 2004 Puerto Rican Basketball Team, and the thrashing they dealt to the "Dream Team."

• Like 1

I've been interacting a lot with furloughed workers.  That also includes contractors who are out of work.  Our bartending school in Arlington is getting lots of calls from a variety of folks who either took our class in the past or who are taking or want to take our class now because of the furlough.

I've also been seeing a plethora of free food/ discounted food/ and other services, primarily on my FB feed, primarily in PG and Montgomery County from old friends, both of whom used to be Feds.  They are blasting out about relevant discounts and deals to their ample FB friends networks.   (Good for them).   There are a healthy volume of announcements on Social Media, wherein friends are spreading the word to affected friends.

Back to the school "thing":

Affected workers who took our classes years ago want to come back,, take our free refresher classes, brush up their skills, and want to get PT work (at the least).   We have offered that, and made good on it (one person retaking the class about 27 years after she first took it).   We are getting a lot of calls on that basis.   Others on furlough who took the program but never tested out want to come in, retake it, test out, and then use their skills.  The volume of calls of people who want to take advantage of our lifetime free refreshers is high.  These days I'm on the phone more due to staff shortages and illness.  I'm increasingly hearing about the impact of the furlough.

On the new student or potential new student side we are taking more calls and inquiries about the class from furloughed workers.  Some are taking the class and some aren't, but the interest is high.   Additionally I'm filling in giving our placement assistance sessions to graduates.   We do a lot.  Part is that we here from employers needing staff and distribute leads.  We do a significant amount more to help grads land jobs.  

I would think throughout this region if you are in touch with neighbors, friends, family; you have to have some sense of the furlough;  the volume of people affected is far more voluminous than any single or a composite of the largest employers in the region.   It is having a vast effect.

The contractors out of work do not expect to be paid for lost time.  I've met several already.  I hope and wonder if they have ID's that can be used for the various benefits around the region.  They merit it.   As occurred in 2013 I expect they won't be repaid for lost time.   Somewhat fortunately for the federal workers Congress had passed legislation that would have the furloughed workers paid for lost time.  Trump just signed it.  The Feds will receive lost pay.   I doubt the contractors will.  I also doubt that private workers and business people adversely affected by the loss of business will get any kind of reimbursement.   It adversely affects this region in a serious way.

This school saw the same impact in 2013 with the last protracted furlough.   We see Feds who have been working longer, have higher salaries, and have cushion against periods without pay.  We see Feds living on check to check.  They are hurting.  We see the contractors with the same status., and we are aware of some of the businesses that get crushed by the furlough.  It is ugly.   I'm sure there are folks on this board directly affected.   Their experience is first hand and better than mine.

Here are a variety of ways you can help furloughed workers

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 1:39 AM, DonRocks said:

Thank you for starting this topic, lperry.

I really think José Andrés might win the Nobel Peace Prize this year. Last year, I thought he'd be considered for the first time (which he was), but wouldn't be considered seriously; this year, he's a very real candidate to win the actual prize, especially in contrast to whom we have in the White House.

Funny that Eater DC didn't ask me this year, as if I somehow know less than in years past (I most assuredly don't). But, that's just Eater trying to eliminate their competition, from what I hear; I couldn't care less. On other notes, Warren Rojas and I have become much closer friends since he left Eater - this should surprise no one.

And, to those who think Puerto Rico is somehow "inferior" to the USA, let's take another look at the 2004 Puerto Rican Basketball Team, and the thrashing they dealt to the "Dream Team."

I don't think Eater is competition for anyone, much less this forum. 

• Thanks 2

Today while handling the placement function at one of our bar schools I took a call from an employer.  He owns a neighborhood restaurant and bar and also two food trucks.  We have helped him land bartenders for a number of years. 

His restaurant/bar wasn't affected much by the furlough;  he estimated a drop in sales of about 7%--not horrible.  His food trucks were down about 40% each during the one month furlough.  A second restaurateur mentioned that his catering volume to businesses took a severe hit for the month.  These shutdowns are so terrible for all the folks caught up and held hostage.  The shutdowns have gotten worse over the last 2 and 1/2 decades with this one being the worst.   Supposedly there is talk in Congress to change things to keep the shutdowns from reoccurring in the future.  Any member of Congress that opposes such a move is the equivalent of a professional hostage taker.

My $0.02  :D

• Like 1