lperry

Restaurant Specials for Furloughed Federal Workers

On 1/16/2019 at 1:39 AM, DonRocks said:

Thank you for starting this topic, lperry.

I really think José Andrés might win the Nobel Peace Prize this year. Last year, I thought he'd be considered for the first time (which he was), but wouldn't be considered seriously; this year, he's a very real candidate to win the actual prize, especially in contrast to whom we have in the White House.

Funny that Eater DC didn't ask me this year, as if I somehow know less than in years past (I most assuredly don't). But, that's just Eater trying to eliminate their competition, from what I hear; I couldn't care less. On other notes, Warren Rojas and I have become much closer friends since he left Eater - this should surprise no one.

And, to those who think Puerto Rico is somehow "inferior" to the USA, let's take another look at the 2004 Puerto Rican Basketball Team, and the thrashing they dealt to the "Dream Team."

I don't think Eater is competition for anyone, much less this forum. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, reedm said:

I don't think Eater is competition for anyone, much less this forum. 

I wholeheart I agree with this take. Our forum is extraordinairy, and unlike like any platform out there. The value each each of OUR  members brings, is beyond any reference guide out there. 

Today while handling the placement function at one of our bar schools I took a call from an employer.  He owns a neighborhood restaurant and bar and also two food trucks.  We have helped him land bartenders for a number of years. 

His restaurant/bar wasn't affected much by the furlough;  he estimated a drop in sales of about 7%--not horrible.  His food trucks were down about 40% each during the one month furlough.  A second restaurateur mentioned that his catering volume to businesses took a severe hit for the month.  These shutdowns are so terrible for all the folks caught up and held hostage.  The shutdowns have gotten worse over the last 2 and 1/2 decades with this one being the worst.   Supposedly there is talk in Congress to change things to keep the shutdowns from reoccurring in the future.  Any member of Congress that opposes such a move is the equivalent of a professional hostage taker.

My $0.02  :D

• Like 1