A Chat With Nizam Ali

DonRocks

thanks for doing this Nizam.... and thanks for coming to Rosslyn.  I used to frequent Ben's quite a bit when I lived near Logan Circle.... but then we moved to Rosslyn over 3 years ago and hence my habit went by the wayside.  And now you're going to be coming within walking distance again!  From a business perspective, how did you decide on an Arlington location, and specifically on the selected storefront?  Are you looking for a similar late night crowd as on U Street?

Hi rbh, sorry its taken me so long to get to your question but so glad we are coming within walking distance of you!

So actually, we had been looking for a site in Clarendon for quite some time.  We did a market development plan on the whole DMV and identified Clarendon as the best place in Northern, VA to open a Ben's based on many factors, heavy traffic both day and night being among them.  After a pretty long search, we couldn't find a suitable location and then we heard to our surprise that Ray's Hellburger had closed down.  We had always liked that strip mall as it is one of the few places that have numerous and free parking spaces right in front.  So we inquired and spent considerable time trying to work something out.  We had hoped to go into the old ABC store space as it had a better storefront and was a larger space.  We ran into a road block because the strip center didn't have enough parking spaces by code to accommodate the number of seats that we would have.  Because the ABC store was a retail space and we would be converting it to a restaurant, it would require a certain number of additional parking spaces that the center just didn't have.  So thats how we chose our existing space, which happens to be the same space that Ray's was in.  Inside will be a bit cramped and the outside won't have the look that we had hoped for but its still a great location and we are happy to be coming to Rosslyn. See you around the first of the year hopefully.

Don, Nizam and others - It's not a question, so please don't shoot me. :)  Just wanted to pass something along that reminded me of this post:

Hey Buddy,

Leave it to you to ask me a tough one.  Actually its fine to ask and I am happy to share as it does come up. So dad was born in Trinidad and he was 82 years old when he passed in 2009.  His parents were from India but all dad knew was Trinidad until coming to the U.S. to attend university when he was 18.  That was in 1945.  Mom was born on a farm in Virginia off of RT 17 about 15 miles northeast of Tappahannock, VA.  Her dad was Native American and her mom was Black.  They met in the mid 50's at the Industrial Bank at 11th and U (which is still there by the way) where mom worked as a teller.

At that time in our country (and forgive me if I over simplify this) you were either black or white. There was no mixed, bi-racial or "other" category in the US. The majority either let you in as white or denied you classifying you as black.  Your skin was white or was of a darker shade which automatically made you black.  You could either walk into a fancy restaurant in downtown DC or a downtown theater to see a show or you couldn't.  You were either black or white.  We were black.

Dad and mom opened up Ben's on U ST, "Black Broadway" in the heart of an exceptional black community in DC.  It was a prideful and complete community amidst the fight for equal rights, human rights, voting rights, educational and economic equality and opportunity and social justice.  Mom and dad lived in the black community, worked and started a business in the black community and had the rights of black people in the eyes of the majority and the law.  I don't even want to get into the number of times my dad was pulled over by the police and the separate times he was pulled over with my mom because mom is very fair-skinned.

As for my brothers and I? We were all born in DC and all worked at the Bowl on U ST, growing up in that area which was then comprised of violent crime, drugs, and prostitution.  When our parents moved we were blessed to grow up in a nice home and neighborhood in upper northwest DC, and attended independent schools in DC but we still had the balance of working at Ben's.  It really shaped our lives.  So we grew up as black in DC.  Now did we have the typical black experience and was our life as hard as many blacks in the city? No.  All I am saying is that we identify ourselves as black and that experience in DC is what we know.  Of course this is not the black experience in the rest of the country or the world, but it was and is our experience.  The sign in Ben's which I think is still there as we recently updated our menu boards reads, "Black owned and operated since 1958."  This is a source of pride for us. There are fewer and fewer black owned businesses in our city and our country.  And we have made it, and as a family working together.  Mom and dad celebrated 50+ years of marriage and they both got to see Ben's reach 50 years in business.  As the labels and the categories have changed and expanded over the decades, has our experience changed?  I think not.

Today, I do get stuck when I fill out an official form.  I do know that those in the black category need all the help they can get so I often check that box. But saying "I am black" comes across today much differently.  When asked, no one is satisfied until I say Trinidad and then I hear a "OOOhhh."  I hate to say that the last time I went to Carnival I was just a kid.  So much for the Trini's accepting me.

Long story short - black kid in DC is okay to play football at Syracuse when "rebranded" as a full-blooded Hindu from India, but when he was supposed to play a game at Maryland it was unearthed that he was black and they forbid him to play. This was before your father came to the states and your mother was quite young, so some of it may not relate to Ben's, but some does. And obviously it doesn't speak for your experience either, but the history was interesting to me and I figured I'd pass it on.

http://deadspin.com/76-years-later-maryland-tries-to-right-a-college-footb-1455976233?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

In previewing the upcoming contest, a Washington Post writer asserted that if the Terps wanted to hang with Syracuse, which came in ranked No. 17 in the country, the hosts would have to nullify the "full-blooded Hindu" who had emerged seemingly out of nowhere to become the Orangemen's leader. The writer mocked his name, too, replacing "Sidat" with "Sit-Down."

But on Oct. 23, 1937, a day before the game, the Washington Tribune, a D.C. weekly with a black readership, published a bombshell: "NEGRO TO PLAY U. OF MARYLAND" read the banner headline. "THEY CALL HIM A HINDU" was the subhed.

Turns out that Sidat-Singh wasn't a Hindu, and had not a drop of Indian blood in him. The Tribune piece let out that Syracuse's gridiron phenom was a straight-up American Negro, born Wilmeth Webb in Washington D.C. in 1918. Readers learned that his biological father, Elias Webb, was a local pharmacist who'd died of a stroke in November 1925. His mother, Pauline Miner, then married Samuel Sidat-Singh, a West Indian physician who adopted young Wilmeth, gave him a new last name, and moved the family to New York.

I cannot believe this was 7 1/2 years ago. Did you know Mr. Ray? When I spoke with him on the phone, he was living in Colesville, not too far from where you used to live.

Mr. Ray is a great and sweet man.  We were too honored when he came in and shared his "Ben's Chili Bowl" poem with us.  It really was so special. My mom and our whole family were touched.  I actually know his daughter Roz, we were in school together.  And really nice of you Don to get in touch with Mr. Ray and to post that poem.  Thanks again Mr. Ray.

Just a few comments from a long-time Washingtonian. I didn't know U Street during its Golden Age, nor, indeed, until well after 1968. I remember the area in the mid- to late-1970s, and recall doing some drug deals (as a buyer) at 12th and U back in those days. Not something I'm particularly proud of, but not ashamed either. It was another time and I was another person. And Washington was, of course, another city. I doubt that the drug scene in that area was the worst of the area's problems. Looking at some of the parts of Washington now and thinking about how they were then, I think anyone of my generation would say that U Street and 14th Street are nicer now, I mean wow, a lot nicer, but maybe something has been lost as well. I'm sure you, Nizam, have a much clearer picture of this than I have, since I never lived or worked on U Street. Is there anything about the nitty-gritty nature of the old U Street that you lament the loss of?

One other thing. The notion that Washington was a "sleepy, small city" when Ben's was new is problematic to me. This is a trope, or a meme they call it nowadays, I encounter fairly often, and I don't think it's an accurate reflection of reality. Washington today is certainly a far more cosmopolitan place than it was in the 1950s, but so is Philadelphia, so is Boston. The fact remains that in the 1950, 1960, and 1970 censuses, Washington was the ninth largest city in the United States. It's now the 24th largest. If you look at photographs of Washington as early as the 1920s, it looks like a pretty bustling, pretty big city, and of course it exploded during the New Deal and Second World War. In the 1970 census, Washington DC had a larger population than New Hampshire, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, Delaware, Nevada, Vermont, Wyoming, and Alaska. In the 2010 census, Washington DC had a larger population than Wyoming. Make of this what you will.

---

ETA - Care to comment on this article?

Hey The Hersch,

Thanks for your comments.  Always good talking and reminiscing with long-time Washingtonians.  You're comments were phrased very well.  Plus its nice to know the facts about DC's population back then.  To me personally it didn't seem like DC wasn't bustling, but somehow it felt like it had a smaller footprint.  Like we were all in it together.  It was gritty in much of the city and it was fun growing up with that.  Walking and feeling totally safe strolling though Malcom X Park at night when it was pretty shady.  I think that is the experience that old DC-heads bond over and take pride in.  We hung, learned and grew up in DC when it was another place.  And only we can relate to it and only we really know how it was.  The good and the bad.  Its a powerful common experience.  But I do know that not everyone shared in that same experience.  There were 2 DC's even back then.

I remember the first time I saw traffic cops downtown and said, "damn we are a big city now." Its the construction, the international nature, the bigger chains, fancy hotels, the out of town restaurant groups, the cranes, which all make the city feel much bigger and more congested than ever before and I think thats the difference.

Just my 2 cents.  Thanks for the comments and for following the chat.  And I remember some of the things I did back then.  Glad thats behind me now too.

Hi Nizam,

Thanks for chatting with us.  I'm a nearby neighbor of Ben's new H Street location and I'm excited that you've decided to join our neighborhood.

Can you share briefly with us about the construction going on site?  I was under the impression that you were just making modest adjustments to the existing building and that its historic faí§ade was being maintained, but I see now that it's been almost entirely razed.  What will the new building look like?

And what can you share about your plans to be good neighbors here?  I noticed your comment about new neighbors to the original Ben's above and note that on H Street, you'll be the new neighbor and the store you are replacing is not one that previously generated much noise or trash (it was a men's clothing store), so while your presence seems very likely to be much welcomed by the vast majority of us, it will likely present a different experience for at least your closest neighbors.

Thanks for chatting with us here and looking forward to having you up and running in our neighborhood soon.

Hi Youngfood,

Sorry its taken me so long to get to your question.  Let me first say thank you for welcoming us into your neighborhood and for giving us the benefit of the doubt regarding the building construction.  So as you know, our family and Ben's is all about history, and about preserving what we can physically, as well as keeping the memory, stories and history of both U ST and our great city alive for visitors and new residents.  So from the beginning we charged our architect with essentially replicating the look of existing building and keeping the historic characteristics of it. So the cornice design, the brick detail coming down and the brick detail over the windows will be a part of the reconstructed building.  All of this is an added expense but it keeps the character of the building and of H ST so it was important.  I think you will like it and we hope the community does as well.

The plan was to keep part of the existing facade up during the construction through it was going to be challenging and of considerable expense because the whole first floor of the building along H ST and a portion that wraps around to 10th ST is a bump out window system left from the former retail store George's Place. The problem was that when we got into the building and began construction we discovered significant water damage, crumbled brick, falling brick, and deteriorated wood and grout.  The back wall of the building already had a brace in it and was leaning.  So then it became a safety issue and we couldn't risk the building falling on the sidewalk.  Because of this we went back to the city and proposed a preservation plan so to make a long story short, we removed the front facade brick by hand and salvaged it. We will reuse all of the brick that is undamaged and safe to use as well as some of the timbers that we salvaged as well.  I think you will be happy when its all completed.

As for being good neighbors we are trying our best. We went to the ANC on a few different occasions (and will be at the next one) in the beginning to share our plans and to get feedback and hear their concerns.  We finalized the plans incorporating their wishes and that of the community as regards to our entrance, the sizes and design of our windows, and we even set the trash containers within our space at the rear and will have a gate that encloses them within the rear of the building.  We also have designed the rooftop deck with walls to the south to abate any potential noise issues. So please know that we  are working hard and will continue to do all that we can to be good neighbors.

Thanks again for your question Youngfood. Can't wait to see you at Ben's on H ST.

• Like 3

Thanks again for your question Youngfood. Can't wait to see you at Ben's on H ST.

And thank *you*, Nizam, for addressing this H Street question head-on when you could have danced around it. If I had one word to describe this post, it would be "forthright," but coming from someone of your character and integrity, that's no surprise.

• Like 2

All, Nizam is dead set on answering every single question asked here; he's just extremely busy. So if it's okay with everyone, I'd like everyone to get their questions in by the end of today, and then Nizam will answer them over the coming days (or weeks) at his leisure - I don't want him to feel rushed. He has been *great* so far (feel free to chime in and thank him here!).]

Nizam, here's one final question from me: What are you most proud of at Next Door? If I was to go there (and I haven't been there since a few weeks after it opened!), what should I order? Where do you see Next Door going in the future? Everyone talks about Ben's, of course, but I suspect you are trying to make a go of Next Door, and here's your stage - the microphone is in your hands.

Hey Don,

Thanks for asking. You know I am proud of Next Door so I appreciate you giving me the chance to talk about it. What I am most proud about is that I think we got a lot right off the bat. We created our first, brand new, full service restaurant and bar that immediately became a beloved place. I felt great joy when my dad would tell me after his repeated visits to Washington Hospital Center that his nurse or doctor would say, "I love Next Door." That meant the world because it also made my dad more proud of me.

I am also very proud of the food and the comfortable atmosphere which is cool and still open and welcome to all. So please come back and order the Shrimp & Grits, or the Crispy-Skinned Salmon. The Crab Cakes are great too as is the Scallop appetizer. Ok so I am clearly biased here but the kitchen really continues to exceed my expectations.

The only thing that gets me is that for some reason people that I know don't seem to remember when they are looking for a place to eat to try Next Door. May people that I know that even ask me how Next Door is doing never seem to get there to dine. I don't know why that is as we are open for lunch, dinner and brunch and don't close until 2am and 3am on the weekends so there is ample opportunity. To keep it going we really need people to try it once then hopefully come back. There is stiff competition and we are not the new hot restaurant that we were when we opened. So members please give Next Door a try when you can! We could use the support, plus I really think you will like it.

• Like 2

Nizam:  I've eaten there  and loved it.  Its been a while.  And I'll add something.  I'm a sucker for environment, the look, and vibe and feel for a restaurant/place.  I love that.  Always have.  If I like all the elements of the environment of a place...then the food tastes infinitely better in my estimation.

I loved Next Door.  I just don't get to U street often.   The look is eyepopping.  One walks in and sees this enormous long...extending endlessly very good looking bar.   Its an extraordinary look.   But Next Door is deeper and longer even than that bar.  There is an attractive set of back rooms.  Its a large establishment.

I dined there a fair number of times but not for several years.   It felt great.  The look, the service, the music, every element.   Before that and since I would periodically go to the chili bowl.  Its great.  Its community and friendly.  I picked that part up at Next Door.

In so many ways I'm often more grabbed by some atmosphere than the food as are so many of the wonderful commentators here.   I've a different slant.   A great atmosphere sticks with me to a large extent and Next Door for me was as you describe it, Nizam:  Its cool.   And the food is excellent.  But I don't want to litter my comments on the food.  Its been years.  I cannot give specifics...besides enjoying the meals I ate and shared.

What I actually recall is a wonder that you guys could transition from the Chili bowl to an excellent full service restaurant with a full menu and diverse dishes, a slick and very cool atmosphere and as with the Chili Bowl but in a somewhat different vibe and feel...you created another deeply friendly place.

Keep it working.   In my opinion neighbors (and visitors) should blow in there.  Its an excellent environment.

Hey Don,

Thanks for asking. You know I am proud of Next Door so I appreciate you giving me the chance to talk about it. What I am most proud about is that I think we got a lot right off the bat. We created our first, brand new, full service restaurant and bar that immediately became a beloved place. I felt great joy when my dad would tell me after his repeated visits to Washington Hospital Center that his nurse or doctor would say, "I love Next Door." That meant the world because it also made my dad more proud of me.

I am also very proud of the food and the comfortable atmosphere which is cool and still open and welcome to all. So please come back and order the Shrimp & Grits, or the Crispy-Skinned Salmon. The Crab Cakes are great too as is the Scallop appetizer. Ok so I am clearly biased here but the kitchen really continues to exceed my expectations.

The only thing that gets me is that for some reason people that I know don't seem to remember when they are looking for a place to eat to try Next Door. May people that I know that even ask me how Next Door is doing never seem to get there to dine. I don't know why that is as we are open for lunch, dinner and brunch and don't close until 2am and 3am on the weekends so there is ample opportunity. To keep it going we really need people to try it once then hopefully come back. There is stiff competition and we are not the new hot restaurant that we were when we opened. So members please give Next Door a try when you can! We could use the support, plus I really think you will like it.

Nizam,

I wanted to say thank you ("Thank you!") for spending so much time with us, and for doing this "˜little' chat. It has been a pleasure having you here, and I wish the very best for Ben's and Next Door in the years to come.

Thank you again for everything - this has been wonderful!

And now, I have a Ben's sweatshirt to buy at the Ben's online store.

Kind regards,

Don

Nizam:  I've eaten there  and loved it.  Its been a while.  And I'll add something.  I'm a sucker for environment, the look, and vibe and feel for a restaurant/place.  I love that.  Always have.  If I like all the elements of the environment of a place...then the food tastes infinitely better in my estimation.

I loved Next Door.  I just don't get to U street often.   The look is eyepopping.  One walks in and sees this enormous long...extending endlessly very good looking bar.   Its an extraordinary look.   But Next Door is deeper and longer even than that bar.  There is an attractive set of back rooms.  Its a large establishment.

I dined there a fair number of times but not for several years.   It felt great.  The look, the service, the music, every element.   Before that and since I would periodically go to the chili bowl.  Its great.  Its community and friendly.  I picked that part up at Next Door.

In so many ways I'm often more grabbed by some atmosphere than the food as are so many of the wonderful commentators here.   I've a different slant.   A great atmosphere sticks with me to a large extent and Next Door for me was as you describe it, Nizam:  Its cool.   And the food is excellent.  But I don't want to litter my comments on the food.  Its been years.  I cannot give specifics...besides enjoying the meals I ate and shared.

What I actually recall is a wonder that you guys could transition from the Chili bowl to an excellent full service restaurant with a full menu and diverse dishes, a slick and very cool atmosphere and as with the Chili Bowl but in a somewhat different vibe and feel...you created another deeply friendly place.

Keep it working.   In my opinion neighbors (and visitors) should blow in there.  Its an excellent environment.

Daveo,

Thank you so much for the kind words and for sharing your memories with us.  Really appreciate your post and for staying and contributing to this chat until the end.

Nizam,

I wanted to say thank you ("Thank you!") for spending so much time with us, and for doing this "˜little' chat. It has been a pleasure having you here, and I wish the very best for Ben's and Next Door in the years to come.

Thank you again for everything - this has been wonderful!

And now, I have a Ben's sweatshirt to buy at the Ben's online store.

Kind regards,

Don

Don, you are the best and I thank you (yes THANK YOU!) for asking me to chat and "meet" your wonderful members.  I truly want to give a sincere thank you to all of you for the warm reception, the loving comments and the thoughtful questions.  I have enjoyed my time with you and will miss chatting with you.

And Don, the least I can do is buy you a Ben's sweatshirt.  But feel free to visit benschilibowl.com and send some half smokes to friends and family across the country!  Thanks again everyone.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

• Like 1