I had one of the best bowls of pho I have ever had at Pho 75 last night. The broth was layered in delicate flavors to an extent I have never tasted.

Which location? Falls Church? Rockville? Arlington? Herndon? Langley Park?

Do we have a sense of whether there is a material difference among them?

Do we have a sense of whether there is a material difference among them?

I frequent Falls Church, Arlington, and Langley Park fairly regularly. I've been to Rockville twice, but not in a couple of years, and have never been to Herndon. My sense is that, among these three, Arlington is consistently the best, and Falls Church and Langley Park are both running closely, but clearly, behind. I'd put Pho 50 and Pho Tay Ho about where I'd put Falls Church and Langley Park. This is a tenuous little guessing game I'm playing, because I have no side-by-side perspective, but it's my best shot at midnight.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I frequent Falls Church, Arlington, and Langley Park fairly regularly. I've been to Rockville twice, but not in a couple of years, and have never been to Herndon. My sense is that, among these three, Arlington is consistently the best, and Falls Church and Langley Park are both running closely, but clearly, behind. I'd put Pho 50 and Pho Tay Ho about where I'd put Falls Church and Langley Park. This is a tenuous little guessing game I'm playing, because I have no side-by-side perspective, but it's my best shot at midnight.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I have only eaten at the Arlington and Falls Church branches and I'd have to agree, Arlington is the better of the two, but either is above any other.

The previously mentioned Pho Thang Long, next to Micro Center (insert joke here) near I-66/Nutley, is firing on all (almost-as-good-as-Pho-75) cylinders right now. It's a hefty bowl, too, with almost too much meat. Yum.

I had my first Pho at their Springfield location, on Backlick in the shopping center where Hechingers used to be, and I loved it. I've gotten carry-out from both locations and I think it's really good.

Pho Cyclo in the Yorktowne Center is OK, but not as good as Pho Thang Long, at least at Pho. Pho Cyclo's other selections are good, IMO.

Maybe they hired a really good cook? Maybe the head cook made it? Maybe they got a really good batch of bones/meat/weather?

Asian owned businesses seems to be picked on more for this particular issue compared to other ethnic establishments. Do you really think a small mom-and-pop joint like that would go through all that work just to make two different stocks? It takes up too much time and money. Business is business and they don't care who comes in and their food as long as they enjoy and pay for it. As long as your money's green...

No, I actually made the same point to my friend. I was just throwing out a comment that was made while enjoying a fabulous bowl of pho.
Arlington. My dream is for them to open up in DC :P

The Herndon branch of Pho 75 doesn't come even close to what you're describing. Our broth was short in the star anise department and the noodles had clearly been pre-cooked (stuck together at the bottom of the bowl.)

Herndon remains a watered-down wasteland for Asian food except for Thai, where we have some reasonably good places (Tarin Thai, Thai Town, Thai Luong).

Our one trip to Pho Hot on Little River Turnpike in Annandale suggests we ought to be going back, but we have a very hard time getting to that area and not going to either A&J or Yechon.

No, I actually made the same point to my friend. I was just throwing out a comment that was made while enjoying a fabulous bowl of pho...

Understood. I spoke up because comments like that encourage the negative stereotype that Asian owned businesses are xenophobic and ethnocentric and it's unfair to assume what's going on.

Back to the topic at hand...my friend had what she deemed "the world's best pho" at Huong Viet in Eden Center. I must admit the broth is very good - not oily and it's well seasoned. However, it's only plain beef that tops this pho. No tripe, tendon or fat brisket. Boo. (And I challenge anyone to find a great bowl of pho in NYC. Darn near impossible. :P )

If anyone lives up 270, Pho Nam (Shady Grove Road a block East of Best Buy) is the best I have had in MoCo by a mile. Very generous portions and terrific broth. I would suggest eating in, the noodles don't travel well. That still does not stop me from carrying out several times a month and eating in about the same.

If anyone lives up 270, Pho Nam (Shady Grove Road a block East of Best Buy) is the best I have had in MoCo by a mile. Very generous portions and terrific broth.

Someone else told me the same thing, so I went a few months ago. I thought it was very good, but still not as good as Pho 75 a couple of miles down the Pike. They probably stuff more meat in the bowl than other places, and I remember them having a small menu that wasn't just pho.

If anyone lives up 270, Pho Nam (Shady Grove Road a block East of Best Buy) is the best I have had in MoCo by a mile. Very generous portions and terrific broth. I would suggest eating in, the noodles don't travel well. That still does not stop me from carrying out several times a month and eating in about the same.

I am not sure if this is the case for you but if you are doing take out, make sure that they do not cook the noodles. The container of broth should only contain the broth. No noodles or meat in the broth. When you get home, heat up the broth, then add your noodles, meat, bean sprout, mint, plum sauce, etc. Makes for a much better experience. My wife and I prefer the pho at Pho Xe Lua in Eden Center, but service issues keep us going to Pho 75 in Falls Church. We tried Pho 50 but they got the order wrong on four straight visits.

I haven't been to this place in a few years since moving to DC, but I used to go here all the time. Always had great pho - very meaty and very flavorful broth. Lots of meat options too.

The previously mentioned Pho Thang Long, next to Micro Center (insert joke here) near I-66/Nutley, is firing on all (almost-as-good-as-Pho-75) cylinders right now. It's a hefty bowl, too, with almost too much meat. Yum.
You people and all your pho talk made me hungry! I tried out Pho Thang Long for lunch and agree with jparrot. This place has nice, hefty bowl with lots of meat, noodles, and other fixins and a lovely but light-ish broth, served on the right side of scalding. My favorite is still Arlington's Pho 75, where the first sip of soup nearly explodes on your tongue with flavor, but that could be nostalgia talking, as I still miss all things Arlington and it's also the place where I had my first pho.

Viet House on Little River Turnpike/Main street in Fairfax City has solidly good bowl of pho and FWIW, a mostly asian clientele. However; the pho place on Lee Highway in Fairfax (across the street from the K-mart? center), which used to be Pho 29, was not very good - weak, desert-inducing broth. However, it has recently been renamed Pho Today and I may have to swing by and see if management or more has changed...

I haven't been to this place in a few years since moving to DC, but I used to go here all the time. Always had great pho - very meaty and very flavorful broth. Lots of meat options too.

I actually stopped in to Pho Nam on my way back from my root canal. Granted I was hurtin', it was cold and rainy, but the place had an off smell, and even when I walked to the back to look at the menu, I couldn't quite figure out if I should order and pay at the back, or what. It was not a very welcoming experience as I debated a few minutes on what to order, and if I had to pay first, last or otherwise. That was too much for how I felt at that moment, so I decided to go down the Pike and try Pho 75, which I knew from previous posts is well-liked. I was acknowledged immediatley, and directed where to go to order for carry-out. I have been back about 3 times since then, with my husband, which is quite notable since he does not usually like Pho. (he's not a rice noodle fan) He really likes both the beef and chicken broth at Pho 75, and has willingly driven out of our way to go there. Do note--the Pho Ga is just as flavorful and complex as the beef broth, and if you have any leftovers, you could add matzo balls to it and be very happy! Each time we've been there the staff has been welcoming, smiling and helpful. Tomorrow I have my follow-up to the root canal, so maybe I'll try Pho Nam this time for comparison. That is, if I can get my husband to go there instead of Pho 75!

I actually stopped in to Pho Nam on my way back from my root canal. Granted I was hurtin', it was cold and rainy, but the place had an off smell, and even when I walked to the back to look at the menu, I couldn't quite figure out if I should order and pay at the back, or what. It was not a very welcoming experience as I debated a few minutes on what to order, and if I had to pay first, last or otherwise.

You really should give it a go, if only to cross it off your list. Generally when I walk in the door, 2-3 people are already motioning me to a seat. I would suggest ordering a small bowl, the large is nearly big enough for 2. You pay in cash at the back when you are finished. Do not look for friendly or attentive service, this place is more like a Pho Phactory (patent pending) with really good soup.

I have only eaten at the Arlington and Falls Church branches and I'd have to agree, Arlington is the better of the two, but either is above any other.

The Falls Church (Graham Road) Pho 75 is the only one we've tried but it's far superior to anything west of that location on Rt 50-Rt 29 - Rt 236 and connectors. Well worth the trip from Western Fairfax area.

Had a regular #12 at the Arlington Pho 75 for lunch today. Got a side of the tendon too (was too intrigued...good stuff, a unique texture, falling apart and a tiny bit gummy, but quite flavorful). All told was $7something, and worth every penny. Sumptuous broth with a generous helping of tender beef. This was my first Pho experience...it won't be my last. Now if they would only get one of these downtown...Is there anything like this in Chinatown?

Good luck trying to find a decent pho place outside of VA or MD. Do y'all think a pho joint would do well in the city?
At one time, Jack's in Chinatown had decent pho, not great, not Pho 75 quality, but decent. His mother did the broth making so it was as authentic as you could get. I'm not sure if he's there any more. Jack's was a block away from the China gate (on 7th st?).

Good luck trying to find a decent pho place outside of VA or MD. Do y'all think a pho joint would do well in the city?

In the right location, absolutely. The right place could make a killing downtown. My fear is that real estate prices would keep a good bowl of pho from being as affordable as it is in the burbs.

At one time, Jack's in Chinatown had decent pho, not great, not Pho 75 quality, but decent. His mother did the broth making so it was as authentic as you could get. I'm not sure if he's there any more. Jack's was a block away from the China gate (on 7th st?).

Anybody know if this place is still around? Google isn't turning up anything other than Jack Nicholson references.

My only reservation about a downtown pho joint is that there wouldn't be room for nearly as much seating, which would mean they'd have to rely more on the takeout order. I think it's doable, but they'd have to alter their distribution model a little, and of course the prices would have to go up. Still, I think it's viable. Even a base price of ~$7 for a bowl wouldn't be unreasonable downtown, and it's really just a question of how many of the downtown workforce would be willing to dedicate the time it takes to eat one of these things :P

Depending on where it is downtown, even with a base price of $8, you'd probably still get people considering the cost of the average lunch during the week. Pho doesn't take a long time to eat - sit, order, season, slurp and go. My main concern as a patron would be the lingering smell of pho on my workclothes after I ate. I plan my pho outings carefully - I don't go when I'm freshly coffed or dressed. Apres-workout is the best for me. ;-)

Anybody know if this place is still around? Google isn't turning up anything other than Jack Nicholson references.

My only reservation about a downtown pho joint is that there wouldn't be room for nearly as much seating, which would mean they'd have to rely more on the takeout order. I think it's doable, but they'd have to alter their distribution model a little, and of course the prices would have to go up. Still, I think it's viable. Even a base price of ~$7 for a bowl wouldn't be unreasonable downtown, and it's really just a question of how many of the downtown workforce would be willing to dedicate the time it takes to eat one of these things :P

The last time I was in Jack's, I think I counted about 20 seats max. Jack's does/did rely on a lot of take-out (and there was a lot of take-out). Not to stray too far from the topic, but he has/had an extensive menu of Vietnamese food (about 10 total on a menu board above the cash register). Check with Grover, she is close to that neighborhood and she should be able to tell you if Jack's is still there.

A very delayed posting, but I've been a bit occupied of late. The results first, details to follow. Current ranking of places eaten: Pho 75 (Rockville), Pho 88 (Beltsville) Pho Nam (Gaithersburg).

Anyway, my husband and I went to Pho Nam when I was back at the dentist a few weeks ago. The result was clear in both of our minds; while I would rate it very good, there was too much clove for either of our liking. I did not notice a difference in the amount of meat vs. the Rockville Pho 75--both were substantial. And the service was better than my previous visit, but not as good as either Pho 75 or Pho 88. We later went to Pho 88 in Beltsville, and the broth had less clove, was still meaty, but not as much as Pho 75. It had more salt than Pho 75, which is where I think many places try to make up the flavor. But once one has tasted the richness and depth, it is very easy to catch the disguise of the salt. Still on the list to try at some point in the future, the new place caddy corner from Costco in Beltsville, and the place on Nicholson Lane in Rockville. An Loi, which moved from Wheaton to Columbia, used to be high on our list, but it was recently sold to new owners and we probably won't be going out of our way to drive up to there anymore.

As far as a downtown Pho joint, if they could offer more than just Pho, there might be a better chance of being able to cut the mustard. For instance, the place on L St at 19th--if only their Pho was edible...

Sawtooth herb alert!

There is a new Pho place in Chantilly, in the brand-new wedged-in strip mall next to the strip mall home of old favorites Picante! and Thai Basil. I want to say the name is Pho 88 but I don't remember the number. Deeper, richer broth, much better than Pho 90 or Pho Bac (the two other Chantilly options). And sawtooth herb! It adds a wonderful, rich earthiness to the whole brew. Urp.

Sawtooth herb alert!

There is a new Pho place in Chantilly, in the brand-new wedged-in strip mall next to the strip mall home of old favorites Picante! and Thai Basil. I want to say the name is Pho 88 but I don't remember the number. Deeper, richer broth, much better than Pho 90 or Pho Bac (the two other Chantilly options). And sawtooth herb! It adds a wonderful, rich earthiness to the whole brew. Urp.

Yup, the best Pho in these parts. I believe it is Pho 89 and I am there at least twice a week.

Today is a day for pho if there ever was one. Is that place at 19th and L really awful? It's the only one near my office. :P

Has anyone been to the little Vietnamese place on Park Rd. between 14th and 15th? I want to say it's called "Capitol Cafe" or something similar. I'm always somewhat tempted when I walk by, but I've never seen anyone in there. Is it even open anymore?

The last time I was in Jack's, I think I counted about 20 seats max. Jack's does/did rely on a lot of take-out (and there was a lot of take-out). Not to stray too far from the topic, but he has/had an extensive menu of Vietnamese food (about 10 total on a menu board above the cash register). Check with Grover, she is close to that neighborhood and she should be able to tell you if Jack's is still there.

At one time I felt that Jack's was the best and cheapest food in Chinatown. Sadly, Jack is gone and to me the place just isn't the same. For the record it is/was on the west side of 6th Street, last door on the right when walking south from from H. His grilled chicken will never be duplicated, nor will his pleasant attitude or his stories about his "escape" from Vietnam in the 1970's. I believe it is run by his relatives, who have lightened the place a bit. The food is still worth trying, just not the same.

I had one of the best bowls of pho I have ever had at Pho 75 last night. The broth was layered in delicate flavors to an extent I have never tasted.

Every five minutes my friends commented "This is the perfect bowl. This is amazing!" He noted that we were one of a few nonVietnamese in the restaurant and wondered if they kept their "better broth" for certain times of the day :P

I agree- there are 2 places in Rockville and both are excellent. I don't get too adventurous- brisket, occasionally tendon or soft tendon, flank, and meatball. one of the days i'll suck it up and try the tripe.

There is a new Pho place in Chantilly, in the brand-new wedged-in strip mall next to the strip mall home of old favorites Picante! and Thai Basil. I want to say the name is Pho 88...

Following the official survey by the DR Men's Whim Team, we can report authoritatively that it is Pho 98.

Great sprouts, good herbs. I don't quite understand why they bother listing both small and large sizes when the two are separated by something like eight cents in price. The richness of the broth isn't up to the Pho 75 benchmark but it's still decent, the amount of meat added seemed a bit more spare as well, but you should have seen how plump the summer roll was.

I went to a Pho place the other day in Sterling. It's right on Rt.7 before Sterling Blvd. In the back part of the strip mall attached to the lot that has the IHOP. My wife and I love Pho especially when it's really cold out, so we thought we'd give it a try. We ordered Chicken Noodle for her and a combo of flank, fatty brisket, soft tendon and meatballs. It all came to the table as you'd expect and looked great but the broth wasn't nearly as rich as I am used to and was oddly sweet? :lol: I thought that was a little odd and added an exorbinant amount of siracha to correct this. It was a decent bowl of Pho, potentially good and I ate it all. I'll try it again this weekend and see if the sweetness is normal or someone deviated from the recipe or something....

I do not understand the appeal of Pho 75.

We went to the Arlington branch last weekend - decided to try that for the first time instead of driving to a Falls Church haunt because it is so close to home.

The broth was the only ok thing, and it was just ok. It tasted good, but it looked like they hadn't skimmed any of the scum off the top of the pot when they were making it.

Otherwise, blecch. The place is filthy - walls, silverware, tables, dishes, and even the waiters' clothes. The basil was browned and wilted and I actually found a bug on it. I ordered a tai gau and my partner a tai gan - and we had to search high and low for a tiny bit of the fatty brisket/tendon. And the staff was rude - the busboys were literally throwing dirty dishes into a plastic tub as they "cleaned" tables.

I do not understand the appeal of Pho 75.

We went to the Arlington branch last weekend - decided to try that for the first time instead of driving to a Falls Church haunt because it is so close to home.

The broth was the only ok thing, and it was just ok. It tasted good, but it looked like they hadn't skimmed any of the scum off the top of the pot when they were making it.

Otherwise, blecch. The place is filthy - walls, silverware, tables, dishes, and even the waiters' clothes. The basil was browned and wilted and I actually found a bug on it. I ordered a tai gau and my partner a tai gan - and we had to search high and low for a tiny bit of the fatty brisket/tendon. And the staff was rude - the busboys were literally throwing dirty dishes into a plastic tub as they "cleaned" tables.

Is this the one on Wilson next to Ray's? Haven't been in ages. What places do you like for pho? I am always looking for a 'new' place for pho.

Is this the one on Wilson next to Ray's? Haven't been in ages. What places do you like for pho? I am always looking for a 'new' place for pho.

My favorite was Pho Ha Tay - but last time we tried to go it looked like it had closed for good.

My former second favorite (now the first string choice by default) is Pho Vinh Loi, a couple of doors down from Full Key in the Best Buy shopping center at Bailey's Crossroads.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions in the Arlington/Falls Church area.

My former second favorite (now the first string choice by default) is Pho Vinh Loi, a couple of doors down from Full Key in the Best Buy shopping center at Bailey's Crossroads.
AKA, the Trader Joe's shopping center at Bailey's Crossroads (from a food-centric persective). :lol::unsure:

I tried Pho An last week, too. I haven't experienced much Pho before, so you could say I'm relatively new to this yummy experience! Compared to the 2 or 3 other bowls of Pho I've eaten before, this one wasn't my favorite. The star anise taste overpowered the broth, I thought. And, the spring rolls were mediocre.

Reading back to Pho posts dating back to 2005, I am curious for any updates anyone has for MD Pho/Vietnamese joints. I work in Silver Spring and make the trip up Rt.29 to Columbia (where I live) daily. Love some suggestions/comments about places around the area!

I can say that Pho Dat Thanh in Columbia is really good for Pho and other traditional Vietnamese food....love it!

Thank you!

I tried Pho An last week, too. I haven't experienced much Pho before, so you could say I'm relatively new to this yummy experience! Compared to the 2 or 3 other bowls of Pho I've eaten before, this one wasn't my favorite. The star anise taste overpowered the broth, I thought. And, the spring rolls were mediocre.

Reading back to Pho posts dating back to 2005, I am curious for any updates anyone has for MD Pho/Vietnamese joints. I work in Silver Spring and make the trip up Rt.29 to Columbia (where I live) daily. Love some suggestions/comments about places around the area!

I can say that Pho Dat Thanh in Columbia is really good for Pho and other traditional Vietnamese food....love it!

Thank you!

Some of the best Pho in the area is certainly served at Pho 75 in Langley Park. On Rte 193 just east of NH Ave. Depending on where in SS you work, this is just minutes from your office.

My favorite was Pho Ha Tay - but last time we tried to go it looked like it had closed for good.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions in the Arlington/Falls Church area.

I thought I'd post here first since this is where I found this messageboard (via Google). My pho experiences so far

-Pho 75 (on Wilson) - I've tried it once, it was pretty good but I didn't think it was amazing.

-Pho 88 (West Broad St, Falls Church) - I had this last night for dinner. Tasty, large serving sizes, and very friendly service. My wife enjoyed it a lot. We will go back.

-Eden Center - I forget which place it was but it wasn't the one listed in this thread. It wasn't a specialty pho place. Very ordinary.

-Froggy Bottom - I can't believe someone mentioned this place for pho! I haven't actually tried it tho I've had several of their menu items and their "salad + pizza bar" many times. We go there for cheap beer (at the expense of a good meal) for Friday work lunches when we're not organized.

Don't TAY me HO!

In the spirit of several posts in this thread around the end of 2005, I drove by a newly-opened pho place in Atlanta today named (I'm not making this up) "What The Pho."

It's on Pleasant Hill Rd. about 1 mile north of I-85

In the spirit of several posts in this thread around the end of 2005, I drove by a newly-opened pho place in Atlanta today named (I'm not making this up) "What The Pho."

It's on Pleasant Hill Rd. about 1 mile north of I-85

There was also one in Rockville called Pho Qyu

The problem I have with these names is that - unlike Pho King - they lack any degree of subtlety. It's what has always bothered me about Cluck-U Chicken, which I think is about on an eighth-grade level of humor.

Now if there was a combination noodle house / billiards hall named Pho Cue, that would be another story.

Or a place with a little roped-off area for the line out the door, and a sign that said "Pho Queue."

Or a place owned by someone named Kit Hall: Pho Kit Hall.

Punning on Pho is becoming as trite as ... opening a wine bar. :blink:

The problem I have with these names is that - unlike Pho King - they lack any degree of subtlety. It's what has always bothered me about Cluck-U Chicken, which I think is about on an eighth-grade level of humor.

Now if there was a combination noodle house / billiards hall named Pho Cue, that would be another story.

Or a place with a little roped-off area for the line out the door, and a sign that said "Pho Queue."

Or a place owned by someone named Kit Hall: Pho Kit Hall.

Punning on Pho is becoming as trite as ... opening a wine bar. :P

How about a pho/BBQ fusion joint called Pho Q? :blink: