Restaurant Kolumbia, Final Day Was Oct 27th.

Why on Earth doesn't anyone talk about this restaurant? Is it one of those insider foodie taboos, like how you're not to supposed to say "Macbeth" in the theater.

I mean we're talking about pork loin stuffed with pig foot and wrapped in caul(which btw is trimmed to look like a pigs foot). This isnt you're average downtown meat and three(or is it two, Im not from Memphis) they're doing real food, real good. I wish I was a better writer but I'm not, so I'm just gonna let Tom(not the one you're thinking of) tell you all about it.

Obviously their PR machine is in the shop; it's not like there was a billboard on 495 saying "Palena cafe open on Monday nights!". Where's the hubub, the whispers, the murmurs and where the hell has this thread been?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been there a number of times (I work in the same building) and I'm not quite as enthusiastic.  When it's good, it can be very, very good.  It's quite hit or miss, though.

Many places can be like that and reviews, posts, or many visits help to find those items worth returning to eat. Can you provide some suggestions on items to order (or not)?

We celebrated NYE a night early at Kolumbia and with the place to ourselves had a very positive experience. I was similarly nervous having seen little positive chatter, but we did the tasting menu with wine pairing and weren't disappointed with any of the 10 plates between us. The details are fuzzy between the months past and the 5 glasses of vino, but highlights were:

artichoke soup

gnocchi (not the same as on current menu)

and our two seafood dishes - a black cod and a diver scallops, both of which appear to be on the current menu. I'd never before had black cod and it was delicious, as were the scallops.

If you do the tasting menu ($65), I'd say its well worth the additional $20 to do the wine pairings. We liked everything we tried, they were well paired with each course, and they followed each other well.

If we had any complaints, it would only be that the desserts were less exciting than the soups, seafood, and pairings.

Many places can be like that and reviews, posts, or many visits help to find those items worth returning to eat.  Can you provide some suggestions on items to order (or not)?

Sorry, I can't really give specifics. It's a changing menu, plus nothing has stood out as being "Oh my God, to die for." One rule of thumb I've learned. It's an adventurous menu. While I love creative cooking, if something here sounds on the menu like too much is going on, you're probably well advised to skip that. If one component is off, it can ruin the whole dish.

I do remeber enjoying grilled squid and venison here, and I love both of those, so am often quite critical.

the 5 glasses of vino, but highlights were.... 

....its well worth the additional $20 to do the wine pairings. 

so are you saying you had 5 glasses of wine for $20, because even if they were small pours thats a pretty good deal?

so are you saying you had 5 glasses of wine for $20, because even if they were small pours thats a pretty good deal?

I am and I sure thought it was. That's only after paying $65 for the tasting menu, but if you're going to try it and don't have to drive home, I'm quite sure you'll get your money's worth on the pairings.

http://www.restaurantkolumbia.com/menudinner.htm

Just got this email from the restaurant:

Polish Dinners

Chef Stachowski, in remembrance of things past, will feature Polish cuisine

for two special events: Wednesday, March 22 and April 18, Easter Dinner.

These four-course dinners will feature an optional wine pairing including

Food and Wine's "Best Importer-Distributor" Terry Theise's heavenly Heidi

Schrock Muscat from Austria. The dinner will be $55, with wine $80,

inclusive. Traditional attire required.

New Food

The "Silverstein" A Choppped Vegetable Salad with Balsamic Blanc $9

Named for our nice customer Mr. Silverstein, who requested that chef create

this salad that he enjoyed in Paris, it is a beautiful vegan-friendly

mixture of 8-10 vegetables cut just so and tossed with Dijon vinaigrette.

'Cod on Cod:' Brandade and Potato Wrapped Sablefish with

Oven-Roasted Tomatoes, Black Knight Sauce $28

Black Cod or Sablefish is a rich white fish. Brandade is a traditional

Mediterranean country preparation of the salt- preserved cod whereby it is

cooked in oil and mixed with potato puree, garlic, and milk. Chef has

slathered the Black cod with the Brandade and then wrapped all in shoestring

potatoes. Black Knight sauce, so dubbed on the Valentines menu, is made from

squid ink. Oh what a world!

Grilled Salmon with Cauliflower and Potato Cake, Mustard Cream, and Gravlax

Fennel Salad $28

Repetition and variety as learned in Art Foundation Theory Basics.

New Art

Gail Saour currently has 22 works on display in the foyer and lounge of

Restaurant Kolumbia. Both abstract and representational oils on canvas and

paper are intense, delicate, and most oft repeated adjective by viewers,

"beautiful."

Expanded Bar Lunch

We will now offer four choices for the $9 Bar Lunch, changing monthly. The

March options are as following:

Beef on Weck: a Buffalo Classic

Coq au Vin: Chicken in Red Wine with Potato Puree

Mixed Green Salad with Sheep Cheese and French Bread

Duck Confit with Rigatoni and Fennel Cream.

Mucho Amor!

the district's fine modern cuisine

WITAMY!

Welcome

Chef Jamie Stachowski's Polish Dinner

Czarnina: Duck Blood Soup with Dried Fruit and Juniper Berries

Triolet Brut Rose, NV

Stachowski's Smoked Salmon and Trout Salad

Heidi Schrock Muscat, Austria 2004

Bigos: Kiszka, Brasied Red Cabbage and Quail

Glazer Zweigelt, Austria, 2003

Side of:Truffle Parsnip Pierogi, Brown Butter, and Raisin Sauce

Mazurek: Angelfood Cake with Fresh Berries

Domaine Larredya, Jurancon  "Selection" 2003

Happy to report a pleasant experience last night at Kolumbia.

Started off with Clos le Vigneau Vouvray, which I was pleased to see was an option on the by-the-glass list. With the wine, our server brought a wonderful little fried ravioli of salt cod with a saffron sauce, followed by a basket of fresh bread with a nicely spiced eggplant spread and butter.

For an appetizer, we split an order of clam and cuttlefish fritters. The crunchy fritters were absolutely lovely paired with a tangy diakon slaw and a tart dipping sauce. I could have eaten a whole plate of those things. Wish we had ordered two appetizers, as I really wanted to try the Yukon gold gnocchi.

For the main course, I opted for the truffle and parsnip perogies with golden raisin sauce. These little guys were absolutely decadent, and so filling that I had to give two of the five or six perogies to my companion. The dish was definitely on the sweet side and not the best match to the Pierre Lauverjat Cote de Fruite Sancerre I was drinking, but wonderful nonetheless.

My friend ordered the "Cod on Cod" (described in the previous post), which would have been wonderful but for the "Black Knight" sauce. The squid ink was overpowering, and just too rich for my palate.

We finished with a cheese plate, the specifics of which I can't remember. But it was good, and paired well with the fruit compote served with it.

The service was excellent until the latter part of our meal, when the dining room began to fill. We had to wait an unacceptably long time for our check, but I'll take that versus having to wait a long time for food. <_<

Definitely recommend Restaurant Kolumbia, and look forward to going back.

Starting Wednesday April 26,2006

“Made in the house!”

Try Chef Stachowski’s Brand Butcher’s Board

Available Lunch, Dinner and in the Bar

3 for $13

5 for $18

a taste of all for $27

Venison Pepperoni

Fresh Kielbasa

Duck Salami

Rabbit and Foie Gras Terrine

Boudin Rouge

Smoked Lamb Shoulder

Vensison Bresaola

Tete de Veau Terrine

Backyard Smoked Trout and Salmon

Served with Mostarda, candied Mustard Fruits

Grilled Bread

Pickled Ramps

Olives

Homemade Pumpernickel

I think Jaime can prepare some of the best food in town, he's got great ideas, a commitment to fresh and seasonal ingredients and the talent to turn out great food. My experiences, both at dinner and lunch, have all been very good to great. I have heard from other close friends about the "consistency" problem but have always encouraged them to try it again, it won't break the bank.

If you are still leary, go for the steak frites. Although not indicative of the typical menu item, I think its the K Street secret menu item.

Starting Wednesday April 26,2006

“Made in the house!”

Try Chef Stachowski’s Brand Butcher’s Board

Available Lunch, Dinner and in the Bar

3 for $13

5 for $18

a taste of all for $27

Venison Pepperoni

Fresh Kielbasa

Duck Salami

Rabbit and Foie Gras Terrine

Boudin Rouge

Smoked Lamb Shoulder

Vensison Bresaola

Tete de Veau Terrine

Backyard Smoked Trout and Salmon

Served with Mostarda, candied Mustard Fruits

Grilled Bread

Pickled Ramps

Olives

Homemade Pumpernickel

I had no idea about Restaurant Kolumbia’s charcuterie until last Friday when I spent an unhurried lunch in one of those cushy booths in the dining room. To be honest, I didn’t know what to think at first; the whole spread is generous for $27 (assuming our divvy was the norm ), served on a board that, like a tree trunk, completely overwhelms the surface of the table. In truth though, it’s a wonderful way to share when you've got time on hand. But most noteworthy is that all of this stuff is house-made. It’s not like he sourced meat and simply sliced away-he ground it and cased and cured it himself. And that is worth something to me.

The plate comes with all the said meat, some fresh horseradish marinated in red wine, some Dijon mustard, seemingly homemade mayo and a blob here and there of preserves and pickles... all to be combined and slathered to your liking.

Along with the pickled ramps comes a few stalks of cooked asparagus, both white and green, just glossed with a poppy seed dressing to cleanse and recharge the palate between bites.

The fresh kielbasa (Polish sausage) is to die for- you'll wish there was a way to get a triple order or a sandwich to take home for later. If I remember correctly, it is skewered between some delicate roasted fingerling potatoes.

The duck salami was my next favorite, different from anything I can remember eating recently and went well on the pumpernickel with a balance of pickle and mustard. The foie was good, but not the best I've had; the rabbit merely decent, but I easily admit to not being a lover of terrines. The lamb shoulder, I remember liking quite a bit, and the venison was good and salty. The smoked trout, on the other hand, was grainy and could use some tweaking.

I was totally taken out of my element during that lunch hour-definitely didn't seem like K Street.

Anywho, for the variety and quality, I think this is an eating adventure that gives a run for the money. I hope this stays the truth.

I am so pleased to see there is a thread here on this restaurant. Given the presence of mostarda on the Butcher's Board, I know why he said he would candy cardoons given the chance.

Jamie Stachowski unfortunately will not be at the Dupont Circle farmer's market as originally planned this upcoming Sunday, May 14.

However, he is often there as a shopper and as a supporter of FRESHFARM markets. Each growing season he usually participates in several Chef at the Market demonstrations at the various locations around town.

I am so pleased to see there is a thread here on this restaurant.  Given the presence of mostarda on the Butcher's Board, I know why he said he would candy cardoons given the chance.

Jamie Stachowski unfortunately will not be at the Dupont Circle farmer's market as originally planned this upcoming Sunday, May 14.

However, he is often there as a shopper and as a supporter of FRESHFARM markets.  Each growing season he usually participates in several Chef at the Market demonstrations at the various locations around town.

But he was there last Sunday making mayo.

I was going by this morning's e-mailed request for volunteers:

Our volunteer needs for the coming week are as follows:

Sunday, May 14, Dupont Circle:  Chef at Market Jamie Stachowski, Restaurant Kolumbia, 11:00 a.m. Help needed with info table, breakdown.  Note:  the Chef for this market has cancelled

which was obviously a mistake inspired by the fact that JS does so many demos. Tom Douglas, in fact, has cancelled for Mother's Day. (Note lack of triple spacing.)

I had no idea about Restaurant Kolumbia’s charcuterie until last Friday when I spent an unhurried lunch in one of those cushy booths in the dining room. To be honest, I didn’t know what to think at first; the whole spread is generous for $27 (assuming our divvy was the norm ), served on a board that, like a tree trunk, completely overwhelms the surface of the table. In truth though, it’s a wonderful way to share when you've got time on hand. But most noteworthy is that all of this stuff is house-made. It’s not like he sourced meat and simply sliced away-he ground it and cased and cured it himself. And that is worth something to me.

The plate comes with all the said meat, some fresh horseradish marinated in red wine, some Dijon mustard, seemingly homemade mayo and a blob here and there of preserves and pickles... all to be combined and slathered to your liking.

Along with the pickled ramps comes a few stalks of cooked asparagus, both white and green, just glossed with a poppy seed dressing to cleanse and recharge the palate between bites.

The fresh kielbasa (Polish sausage) is to die for- you'll wish there was a way to get a triple order or a sandwich to take home for later. If I remember correctly, it is skewered between some delicate roasted fingerling potatoes.

The duck salami was my next favorite, different from anything I can remember eating recently and went well on the pumpernickel with a balance of pickle and mustard. The foie was good, but not the best I've had; the rabbit merely decent, but I easily admit to not being a lover of terrines. The lamb shoulder, I remember liking quite a bit, and the venison was good and salty. The smoked trout, on the other hand, was grainy and could use some tweaking.

I was totally taken out of my element during that lunch hour-definitely didn't seem like K Street.

Anywho, for the variety and quality, I think this is an eating adventure that gives a run for the money. I hope this stays the truth.

I have to say, the $27 charcuterie platter is one of the best surprises I've had in quite awhile. Last year I was one meal away from writing a glowing review of Restaurant Kolumbia, but I got gun-shy after a middling late-night vegetable plate. However, this butcher board full of housemade meats reminds me of why this place needs to be on the radar screen here - you'll see why when you order it. Not everything on it is perfect, but taken as a whole, this is an important platter that represents the best attributes of perma-caffeinated chef Jamie Stachowski, and the independent restaurant in general.

And who knew about Hook and Ladder Golden Ale brewed right here in Silver Spring!

Cheers,

Rocks.

I have to say, the $27 charcuterie platter is one of the best surprises I've had in quite awhile.

I had it a second time this evening, and it contained 20-30% less meat than what I had two nights ago. Several items (the dry kielbasa, the mushy, overcooked potatoes, the mound of bad bread) were shoulder-shruggingly ordinary. "Good, not great" was the consensus - consistency is an issue here.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I dined here this past Saturday with out of town wino friends....I was a little worried in that pals from the DC Crü had only a so-so experience here about a year ago.

But I was pleasantly surprised.

Service was good. Room atmosphere was good (a tad loud as they were packed with quite a few larger parties (grad celebrations?)). Food was delicious.

I had a warm lobster salad over a beet carpaccio, followed by Veal 'picatta' (really a sweetbreads 'burger' complete with special sauce) and then followed by a pork loin and cabbage ( with, I don't know, skin? Porcini/trotter crust? Ahhhhhh!) Followed by a pineapple and apricot charlotte. Oh and a charcuterie butcher's block!) Delish.

The lobster salad was marvelous. And, I am not a big beet eater, really, generally speaking, but I keep trying because my wife loves them, and these were great. The 'picatta' was wonderful, rich, but light enough at the same time. Inventive and fun and great flavors & textures. The 'meat block' was interesting. They brought it to us even though we did not order it (I forgot about it) -- I am not sure if it ended up being 'free' or if we got charged as my friends deviously paid the bill (they rock!) but it was pretty good. The pepperoni was delicious and not over the top, the salmon was delicious, there was a slab of 'particle-meat' (I forget the proper gastronomic term..aspic?) that was atsty as well. There was other stuff I did not get to try, too. TYhe bread with it was average. The pork was fabulous. Juicy and deliciously layered with the outer 'skin'. Delicious. The apricot and pineapple thing was decent, but nothing to write home about.

Wines were a 2004 Planeta Cometa, a 1997 Joseph Phelps Insignia and a 1997 Etude Cabernet. All were good, but the Insignia was ridiculously good. All BYOW.

I'd go back.

Was walking by today and got drawn in by the "$9 bar lunch". Unfortunately, the house-made kielbasa was only available as part of this yesterday (initally they gave me yesterday's menu by mistake), so instead, I opted for a ceviche salad that was quite good (and a good size-- it probably would have cost me about $9 to buy a portion of seafood that large at a store). There were 3 or 4 other options on the bar menu, including fried flounder with house-made fries. Add in the nice bread basket with bean spread that they bring you, and a pleasant bar to sit at and read the paper, and you've got a great deal.

cjsadler is right. The $9 bar lunch at Kolumbia is a bargain. Several of us "whimmed" there for lunch today and plan to go back. The homemade kielbasa sandwich with frites is a great substitute to the dearly departed Galileo lunch grill (RIP). A good sized, house-made kielbasa arrives on a nicely toasted roll with some grilled onions. The kielbasa has been split down the middle and briefly grilled. It's served with some grainy mustard which I slathered on the roll.

Squids had the fish and chip which included the same fries as we got with the kielbasa. The fish is nicely battered and nicely flaky.

Other items on the "lunch at the bar" menu include a chopped salad with pears, ham, endive and mozzarella and Forrester Rigatoni with wild mushrooms, sherry, cream and spinach.

This was my first visit and I was surprised by the physical layout. It's long and narrow and tastefully decorated with a navy blue and tan two-tone paint job. The bar also is long and DanielK and I were eying the selection of single malt Scots.

I can see that this place has the potential for more"whimming" both for lunch and HH.

What Jacques said.

My only quibble - $2.75 for a soda at the bar. That's a hefty price to go along with a $9 sandwich. So it's $12 if you order water, $15+ if you want a soft drink. Grrrr.

We were suprised by the $2.75 sodas too. Definitely just doing water next time, and with the fish & chips I had being as good as it was, there definitely will be a next time.

They definitely like the "sticks" ambience, from the ceiling down to the placemat made of reeds.

RESTAURANT

KOLUMBIA

the district’s fine modern cuisine

Happy Monday Don Rockwells!

Greetings from Chef Jamie:

Restaurant Kolumbia will be featuring

Monday Night Rockwell

a Polish menu at the bar with:

Ulysses and Guest Bartender Meaghan!

Join us for concoctions and the following menu:

Warm Barszcz

Trotters and Poached Quail Egg

$5

Truffled Parsnip Pierogi

Brown Butter and Raisin Sauce

$6/$12

Homemade Kielbasa Sandwich

with Best on K Fries

$9

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Golabki

$9

Apple Caramel Cake

$9

Ulysses says:

“Come one, come all it’s the Kolumbia annual baby sale.

Come check out our deals on babys and brunellos.

Those like those, right?”

Wow - thanks Chef!

Is this our very own Meaghan who will be guest bartending?!?

Will she be doing any magic tricks or lighting anything on fire?

What hours will this circus be happenning?

Regardless, I'm there. Trotters with quail egg...interesting "juxtapose."

My wife and I dropped in there last night for some tasty charcuterie. So many things were tasy (tete de veau, salmon) but the kielbasa is KILLER. $9 for the kielbasa sandwich AND fries?? I am SO there!!

ps...when I die, I want to be embalmed with Jamie's boudin rouge. *drool*

Is that this coming Monday, the 9th, when all of the Feds (and us Fed contractors) are NOT downtown?

:)

actually, this might make it more likely that we could swing by (the fact that I'm not working, not the fact that Daniel won't be there!!!) - question - is Kolumbia non-smoking?

actually, this might make it more likely that we could swing by (the fact that I'm not working, not the fact that Daniel won't be there!!!) - question - is Kolumbia non-smoking?

Kolumbia allows smoking at the bar (at least for the next three months)

And, while this really belongs in the other topic (Don, move this whole thread into the existing topic?), they changed the $9 Bar Lunch menu for October - no more kielbasa sandwich!! :)

Beef on Weck - A Buffalo Classic

Chopped Salad - Pears, Ham, Endive, Mozzarella

Forester Rigatoni - Fresh Kielbasa and Marinara

Moules Frites - Mussels in White Wine and Garlic with Best on K Fries

Woo-hoo - that means it will be a hell of a lot easier for us Fed contractors that ARE working on Monday to get in to downtown from suburban office highrise wasteland :)

I agree. Much easier for us to get downtown and enjoy some of Chef Jamie's eats. Cannot wait!

I wonder if Meaghan will do her Coyote Ugly routine... :)

RESTAURANT

KOLUMBIA

the district’s fine modern cuisine

Happy Monday Don Rockwells!

Greetings from Chef Jamie:

Restaurant Kolumbia will be featuring

Monday Night Rockwell

a Polish menu at the bar with:

Ulysses and Guest Bartender Meaghan!

Join us for concoctions and the following menu:

Warm Barszcz

Trotters and Poached Quail Egg

$5

Truffled Parsnip Pierogi

Brown Butter and Raisin Sauce

$6/$12

Homemade Kielbasa Sandwich

with Best on K Fries

$9

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Golabki

$9

Apple Caramel Cake

$9

Ulysses says:

“Come one, come all it’s the Kolumbia annual baby sale.

Come check out our deals on babys and brunellos.

Those like those, right?”

Bump.

Anyone else going?

At Kolumbia they have what appears to be unique charcuteria board. It comes in 3, 6 and 9 item versions. A group of 4 of us opted for the full boar version, 9 items. It comes out on a wooden cutting board about 18" X 24"; it's huge. Each charcuterie item is paired with an accompaniment. The items included a rabbit and foie gras terrine, a veal head terrine, boudin rouge, lamb shoulder, venison pepperoni, and a lot of other stuff. It is worth a trip to Kolumbia just for the charcuterie board. I call that piece of wood an "all terrine vehicle." There is nothing else like it in town. Chef Jamie Stachowski raises the bar with this offering.

To follow up on the new October Lunch menu, I had the Moules Frites for lunch today. Let me first say the bar is a great place to dine, lots of room, good lighting and a pleasant place to sit.. As I was by myself, I found a stool and a complimentary paper. A bamboo placemat, cloth napkin and silver wear were placed in front of me. Soon a basket of fantastic bread accompanied by a plate of butter and a smoked eggplant spread (both were wonderful). The Moules Frites arrived in a large bowl that had a one inch lip inside it. The frites were in the middle and were perfectly brown, tasty, correctly seasoned and clearly the "best on K street". The bowl’s lip had careful arranged mussels each with a bit of the wine and garlic sauce and a generous dusting of fresh parsley. Each one a delight to eat and the perfect amount for a lunch. Of course, I saved some bread to soak up the sauce (better than simply licking the bowl, as this ambrosia should not be wasted. For anyone who likes mussels, I highly recommend a lunch at Kolumbia!

Of course after my meal I think I remembered that I am not supposed to order mussels on Monday, but these were heavenly!

Except for a another DRer, who smelled strangely of yesterday's pig, making a entrance (LOL) the meal was perfect!

And, while this really belongs in the other topic (Don, move this whole thread into the existing topic?), they changed the $9 Bar Lunch menu for October - no more kielbasa sandwich!! :)

Except for a another DRer, who smelled strangely of yesterday's pig, making a entrance (LOL) the meal was perfect!
I'll confess. A late blooming luch invitation from a business association took me to the bar at Kolumbia. We slipt the chopped salad and had the beef on weck and I the rigatoni. The chopped salad was great, with bits of bacon to give it some smokey crunch. The rigatoni came with just the right amount of marinara and sliced of Jamie's kielbasa. I was surely full by the time I finished, but I can't imagine how full my dining companion was, that beef on weck looked tremendous. I'm getting the beef on weck the next time I go.

Don't worry - kielbasa is featured on other menu items, so there's always some available in the kitchen. If you need a kielbasa sandwich fix, just ask.

The Beef on Weck is pretty darn tasty, too. Who knew they ate so well in Buffalo?