Restaurant Kolumbia, Final Day Was Oct 27th.

ENJOY NEW YEAR'S EVE DINNER @ Restaurant Kolumbia!!!

Chef Jamie Stachowski will be preparing a tantalizing 4-course dinner for your dining pleasure.

See the menu at Restaurant Kolumbia. We will have one seating @ 7 pm, and a DJ will provide a smooth, cheerful blend of classic soul and funk to keep your spirits up.

To reserve your place for this great event, please call (202) 331-5551 and reference New Year's Eve Dinner @ Kolumbia.

We're looking forward to seeing you.

See you at the Bar :P

John & the Restaurant Kolumbia staff

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I set up a happy hour for my office at RK tonight, and everything was fantastic. We had two large butcher boards, chicken samboussek, and something new that's not on the menu: crawfish deviled eggs.

Carolyn made sure that the everything came off without a hitch (and that's with RW ending Sunday, closed Monday, and she and Jamie in NY on Tuesday), John was the perfect host behind the bar, and Chef Jamie stopped out to make sure everyone enjoyed the food. I'm sure they'll get some repeat visitors out of the deal!

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the Restaurant Week thread --

I wanted to say that after the disappointing lunch at Restaurant Kolumbia that I described last week on the Restaurant Week thread, I went back for lunch at the bar to give the place another try under different circumstances. This time, I had an extremely pleasant lunch -- a hot bowl of bigos, warm bread, good service. I left feeling very satisfied and glad I went back. During the meal, I did not say who I was because I didn't want any special attention. Afterwards, I had a chance to meet Jamie, and we had a nice conversation about the perils and pitfalls of Restaurant Week. I also sent an email to Carolyn. They are both very gracious. I plan to go back more often (but maybe not for lunch during RW) :lol: .

I, too, went to RK for RW. We took our neighbours after going on and on and on about how great the food was there. I had the veal breast with sweetbreads for my main course, as did one of my neighbours. He liked his alot more than I did - mine seemed to be lined with a fair amount of fat. It could be my ignorance about veal breast (not something I have often) so maybe the fat layer is normal. But the sweetbreads and sauce made up for it. My wife and other neighbour both had the crovina and loved it.

Our usual M.O. is to sit at the bar and eat everything on the butcher board until we're in a food coma. The portions for RW were more than fair for the price but I was left wanting more.

The more I think about RW, the less I like going out for it. I'd rather pay full price and leave with a full belly.

Visited Kolumbia for the first time today, for lunch. I had the most wonderful artichoke soup! It was "cream" of artichoke, without the cream- just pureed artichoke and maybe some white wine? with a dill flan on top. Delicious. Also had a half serving of the shrimp/avocado/grapefruit/perfect egg salad- and it was perfect. Kudos to our server, who was French, and took time out to speak with me in his native tongue- merci! Can't wait to return.

Clube de Pescador

(Fisherman’s Club)

“We’ve got homemade pumpernickel with walnut and raisins, spread with some white shallot remoulade, house-made smoked salmon that we smoke ourselves, very thinly shaved daikon root and then another slice of the pumpernickel,” Stachowski begins to explain his prototype club sandwich in just a single breath.

I find the bread is thin, wholesome and well-textured. Each slice is cut into a three-inch by three-inch right triangle. Rigid control and AP Kitchen Math (either that or Ritalin) are the prerequisites for such the laborious and perfectly symmetrical creation.

Wait, we’re not done, yet.

“…A layer of horseradish crème followed by some house-made smoked sturgeon [yes, it’s also made in house], fine slices of cucumbers topped with another layer of the pumpernickel. Then we put a Ceasar dressing—very garlicy, anchoivy, mayonnaise-y, some smoked bluefish on top of that, very delicate slices of pickled red onions and then a final layer of pumpernickel,” Stachowski shows me as I fixate on his pointer finger.

“And then a pickle, and a toothpick,” I blurt out before he has a chance.

“ A cornichon.” Oh, and homemade potato chips, of course.

Last night I had Restaurant Kolumbia’s Clube de Pescador (the name, which comes to me as I type this sentence, is randomly inspired by one of the oldest hotels in Puerto Vallarta; back in the day I could never have stayed there [it was probably grody anyway], but a fisherman could). Since my last meal at Kolumbia about a month ago, I leaned that this spectacular little sandwich now has a home on the menu.

I wouldn’t take this one to go, but it makes a perfect snack at the bar anytime, an ideal companion to a salad at lunchtime. It’s clean, it’s cheap, honest and full of great flavor. Agree?

Visited Kolumbia for the first time today, for lunch. Also had a half serving of the shrimp/avocado/grapefruit/perfect egg salad- and it was perfect.
I also had my first visit at lunch yesterday and ordered the same salad. The spinach was lightly wilted from a warm sherry vinaigrette and that alone would have been a wonderful salad. The poached egg put it over the top adding a richness to the dressing that was amazing.

Feature item samples available for Don Rockwellians!

“A sandwich like no other!” Chef Stachowski presents Une Petite Pumpernickel Club. Layers of homemade pumpernickel topped w/ a trio of smoked fish (salmon, sturgeon gravlax, bluefish salad), pickled red onions, daikon, & horseradish remulade. On the side we are serving in-house made potato chips.

Be among the first to sample this before it becomes the most popular sandwich on K St! Ask for a sample at the bar.

See you at the Bar :lol:

John

Is this on the Feb bar menu or only at dinner? The website has not been updated with the new bar menu and I am thinking it is time to head over there for lunch tomorrow.

Anyone up for RK for Tuesday?

Feature item samples available for Don Rockwellians!

"A sandwich like no other!" Chef Stachowski presents Une Petite Pumpernickel Club. Layers of homemade pumpernickel topped w/ a trio of smoked fish (salmon, sturgeon gravlax, bluefish salad), pickled red onions, daikon, & horseradish remulade. On the side we are serving in-house made potato chips.

Be among the first to sample this before it becomes the most popular sandwich on K St! Ask for a sample at the bar.

John

Is this on the Feb bar menu or only at dinner? The website has not been updated with the new bar menu and I am thinking it is time to head over there for lunch tomorrow.

Anyone up for RK for Tuesday?

It's on the dinner menu, under second course and on the bar dinner menu. If you ask nicely though Chef Jamie may bring it out for you at lunch.

- John

February Lunch at the Bar

Apple Chutney,

Crème Fraiche, Fresh Slaw

Beef on Weck

Roast Beef on Kaiser Roll

Wild Mushroom Lasagna

Fontina, Braised Leeks

Chopped Chicken Salad

Roasted Chciken, Endive, Cucumber, Fontina, Pears

ALSO NEW on the Butcher Board- Chicken Liver Parfait as well as the "Clube de Pescador "

Carolyn was nice enough to let us sample the chicken liver parfait. It was inspired by the chicken liver pate at Central, and it was spiked with a nice little Grand Marnier. The orange flavor was delicate, but complimented the liver quite nicely. This was accompanied with a little crumbly hard-boiled egg and green beans with cream and shallots.

Scott and I went halfsies on the club de Pescador. God, this sandwich was magnificent. Sort of like a really good tea sandwich on steroids. There was this great contrast between the cool elements and the smoky elements of the meat. Acid, salt, smoke, sweet, creamy. This sandwich had it going on.

Also the pear brioche dessert was really nice, with its crisp edges. Some good tartness from the raspberry sauce to balance the mellowness of the pear.

This is me with my promoter hat on. Who wants to be on TV with me, the expert on love?

Fox TV will be here at Restaurant Kolumbia on Feb 13th at the crack.

I will be explaining to men what women want and to women what men want. (to eat)

Call me 202 331 5551 or stop by or email.

And if there are any psychologists Fox want an expert to weigh in.

Chef Jamie

Sometimes a meal isn't just about the food, it is about the experience.

I took a student for lunch today to Restaurant Kolumbia to celebrate her 16th birthday. She has aspirations of becoming a chef and owning her own restaurant. The interior design is alive in her mind and she knows her menu will include Chinese food, Mexican food, and "country food" such as fried chicken. Before today her only fine dining experience was at the Olive Garden and I am afraid that after lunch today Olive Garden will never be that good again.

I chose RK for a number of reasons including location, price that fit my tiny budget and a menu that would push her food boundaries with a safe choice or two if needed. She went with the beef on weck and I chose the wild mushroom lasagna. I also ordered us the Cesar salad with white anchovies (which she liked!) and a side of rapini.

She had had a Cesar salad before and enjoyed it although the parmesan crackers did not go over as well as I expected. Surprisingly, she enjoyed the lasagna a lot more than the roast beef. Her only disappointment was that she wasn't able to taste the leek separately from the dish. She picked out the different types of mushrooms and was frustrated that I didn't know the names. Right now she is on a laptop looking up wild mushrooms and leeks to learn more. Despite her frustration she managed to clean the entire plate and has fallen in love with fontina cheese. The rapini, well, I knew I was pushing it with that one. But she did taste it willingly and we talked about béchamel sauce, which I think was on top.

For dessert I didn't let her choose because I wanted her to experience the decadence that is a molten chocolate cake. (I threw in a science lesson as she tried to figure out what molten meant while we waited for the cake.) Needless to say she fell in love with the first bite. She had a comment or two on Chef's plating of the dessert (she felt the blue plate was too dark for the chocolate cake) but managed to finish every drop.

Thank you Chef, Carolyn, and everyone else at Kolumbia for helping me introduce a future foodie to fine dining and for your special gift. We'll be back in the spring so she can learn about seasonal changes to menus.

Mussel chowder was a substitution on the menu today. Mussels, chowderyness with celery, onions, potatoes. Mmm... of course now it's making working very difficult. I'm feeling very drowsy and full. New menu will start next week. Word is potato pancakes, beef on weck, probably mussel chowder, and fourth item is still being decided upon.

Jlock and I stopped by for lunch sometime in December and had a great meal. We had been meaning to go back ever since and hadn't gotten a chance. So, when the opportunity presented itself this evening, we were excited to return. Unfortunately, our experience this time did not mirror the earlier one. The food was just not on. On the other hand, Chef Stachowski is quite impressive! After noticing that we returned a couple dishes unfinished, he made a point to walk us out and ask whether everything was okay. It was clear that he was not just paying lip service; he listened intently to our comments and really made us feel as if he cared. Although our meal wasn't as great as it could have been, I left with a really good feeling about the place. I might try it again for lunch before I return for dinner, but I will be back.

TASTE TEST MONDAYS!

Starting this Monday, March 5, and every Monday afterwards, Restaurant Kolumbia will be offering Don Rockwell members free samples menu items that are personally selected by the Chef. This is how it works:

1) Come to the bar, say hi to John (me), and say "I'm a Don Rockwell member and would like to try a "Taste Test."

2) Grab a beverage of your choice, and wait a few moments as Chef Stachoski prepared an awesome item from the menu for you to taste.

3) Enjoy the "taste" stick around for more drinks, and order great food from the Chef's Butchers Board, "Eat" bar menu, or full dinner menu.

4) Go home happier :-)

This is pretty simple. ALSO, Happy Hour is from 5-7pm, and features $5 glasses of House Wine(red and white), $4 Draft Beers, and $5 rail drinks (including martinis!).

See you at the Bar :o

John

Happy Easter 2007!

Chef Jamie Stachowski

First Course Choice of:

Beef Borscht with Crème Fraiche

or

Spinach Salad: Avocado, Grapefruit, Radish, and Mushrooms

Second Course Served Family Style

Braised Fresh Kielbasa, Zsa Zsa Coddled Eggs,

Smoked Salmon, Pickled Herring, Pumpernickel Toast

Entrée Choice of:

Roasted Leg of Lamb with Creamy Scallop Potatoes,

Jumbo Asparagus

or

Sauteed Halibut, Braised Endive “Maltese”

Orange Hollandaise

or

Hand Carved Baked Maple Glazed Ham with Brioche French Toast, Pineapple Confit in Pan Drippings

or

Truffled Cabbage Pierogi Family Style Raisin Brown Sauce

Dessert Choice of:

Homemade Cottage Cheese Apricot Rhubarb Crisp

or

Angelfood Cake with Strawberries and Cream

or

Orange Almond Tart with Dark Chocolate Ice Cream

$48 per person

Children $24

not that the place was exactly packed early on a saturday night when we were the restaurant's sole customers for maybe half an hour, but the french waiter at our table was exemplary every step of the way throughout a two-and-a-half hour meal that was one of the most relaxing we have had in a long time. we demolished every shred of the charcuterie on the butcher board long before one speck of bacteria had a chance to even open its mouth. the highlight for me was the tete de veau terrine with melon mostarda, followed in preference by the skewer of kielbasa and pickles, boudin rouge, duck galantine with pickled cherry and pistachio dust and venison pepperoni. all, however, were intoxicating, turning us into raving carnivores. we could have stopped there but moved on to four delicious and light pierogi and lamb three ways, one of the ways a healthy nod back to the butcher board. shad roe, which was expertly cooked, was a bit cooled down and accompanied by an egg and polenta (at least this is how i now dimly remember it, less than four days later, but i know it was pale and unnecessary). a generous portion of orange tart with vanilla ice cream also bordered on overelaboration, but was quite delicious, almost in spite of itself. the french and american origins of the cooking here may be the source of the elaboration, and those basic approaches come off a bit differently than usual in the context of the polish cooking that it would be nice to see eventually take over the entire menu. (for all i know, it has, with dishes that just don't sound like it from their descriptions.) i guess this is reiterated by the decor, which is over the top, but more importantly signals that even if you think you know where you are, Kolumbia is far, far away from the world just outside its door.

Giant Shrimp, I think you may have been the lone couple dining last Saturday as my plus one and I were seated. I must agree that our charcuterie board did not stay populated long enough to collect any Mr. Yuck stickers, either. The tete de veau was one of my favorites, and I really enjoyed the lamb merguez; such a pure lamb flavor! Essence of lamb, even.

I would be up for a HH whim at this great place.

Frankly, I'm amazed at some of the comments at the bottom. The sense of entitlement that is developing truly astounds me.

It is more than amazing as these two events are clear in my mind though they are both years and years old. The Valentine Day event was three years ago the other was a Restaurant Week in August 2005. I feel like I am being stalked.

It is more than amazing as these two events are clear in my mind though they are both years and years old. The Valentine Day event was three years ago the other was a Restaurant Week in August 2005. I feel like I am being stalked.
I asked this question on the other thread, but when did the restaurant open?

Burgers and Pizza on the 9 dollar lunch at the Bar!

No time like Mid April to let all you good eaters to know about April's Bar Lunch:

Nicoise Pizza- This is a grilled crust pizza with artichokes, red bell pepper, goat cheese.

Burger- 8 oz stuffed with herb butter topped with grilled onion and blue cheese with some Best on K Fries

Fish and Chips-with some Best on K also

Penne Pasta Prociutto, Onions, Peas, Cream

The pizza is available at night at the bar and chances are that in May we will see variation on the pizza theme. pizza theme?

And

We are now buying our cheese from Artisanal in NYC where they practice the art of affinage or cave aging the cheeses that they souce from all around the face of the earth.

And finally we are indeed hatching a plot for a charcuterie class for sometime in June.

Carolyn@restaurantkolumbia.com

I've got to disagree a little here... I thought the burger was good, but not great.

The meat was less flavorful and the burger less juicy than I like. My medium-rare burger wasn't messy enough to challenge the integrity of the thin, store-bought bun. Maybe they were pressing it when they grilled it?

The two-compartment condiment tray was too small, with just a a spoonful of ketchup and and a spoonful of too-mild aioli. The fries were tasty shoestrings. Whether or not they are the "Best on K" I do not know, but they were good, and presented in a seperate bowl, which I liked.

The burger construction was a little odd as well -- I think because the two fat slices of not-too-ripe tomato were beneath the burger -- but I am not positive, and anyway this particular flavor of off-beat burger construction didn't take away from the burger itself.

Also, and most fundamentally, it took 45 minutes from the moment I placed the burger order for the burger to appear... and I was seated at the bar. That's ridiculous, and the last time I had lunch there I experienced a similarly unreasonable delay (a two hour RW week lunch).

Maybe the fact that I'd had a burger from Palena three days earlier colored my opinion, but my dining companions had a similar "eh" reaction. It's better than, say, 90% of the burgers in this town, but I wouldn't place it in the pantheon of great burgers.

Oh, and I can't wait to dive into that array of house-cure meats. Wow.

Alex

The meat was less flavorful and the burger less juicy than I like. My medium-rare burger wasn't messy enough to challenge the integrity of the thin, store-bought bun. Maybe they were pressing it when they grilled it?

The two-compartment condiment tray was too small, with just a a spoonful of ketchup and and a spoonful of too-mild aioli. The fries were tasty shoestrings. Whether or not they are the "Best on K" I do not know, but they were good, and presented in a seperate bowl, which I liked.

I'll second that the aioli was too small, but I thought it was delicious. And admittedly, the burger could've been a bit juicier, but I still thought it was damn good (having never been to Palena, I cannot offer up a comparison).

I was finished with lunch and back at my desk 45 minutes after sitting down for lunch yesterday. I think they must run a smaller crew during lunch, and I guess if they get unexpectedly busy, that might cause the delays you're referring to? I think if you stick to earlier weekdays and non-RW times, you're much more likely to have a reasonable delay between the order and when the food shows up. All speculation on my part, though.

Does anybody know what is on the $9 lunch menu for May? The website is still listing the April menu.

May $9 Lunch

Nicoise Pizza

Herb Butter Burger with All You Can Eat Saffron Aioli

Chopped Light and Dark Chicken Pears Endive Salad

Penne Pasta with Calories, Peas, Prociutto

Choices for June

Lunch at the Bar

$9

White Pizza

Sauteed Onions, Fresh Herbs, Mozzarella, Fontina

Chopped Beef Burger

Blue Cheese, Herb Butter

With Best on K Fries

Farfalle Pasta Salad

Chopped Roasted Chicken, Snap Peas, Peppers, Olives, Italian Dressing

Artesanal Cheese Salad

Seasonal fruit and Organic Greens

Monday through Friday

11:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m

1801 K Street NW Washington, DC 20006

www.restaurantkolumbia.com

202 331 5551

why eat junk?

Carolyn@restaurantkolumbia.com

July menu, I walked past.

The kielbasa sandwich is back!

Among the many excellences of Restaurant Kolumbia is the fact that they keep their Web site up to date, and you don't actually need to walk past the place to find out that the kielbasa sandwich is back. Me, I haven't had their kielbasa sandwich, but I must take the time to visit this month and try it.

Among the many excellences of Restaurant Kolumbia is the fact that they keep their Web site up to date, and you don't actually need to walk past the place to find out that the kielbasa sandwich is back. Me, I haven't had their kielbasa sandwich, but I must take the time to visit this month and try it.

I've just gotten used to Carolyn telling us. Where are yoooouuu?