Kaz Sushi Bistro, Chef Kazuhiro Okochi on 19th & I Streets NW Downtown

has anyone else had trouble making reservations at Kaz? When I called last week they said the daytime person can only make reservations for evening and only the evening manager can make day reservations. In other words, you can only make reservations for lunch if you call after 5 pm. odd?

When I got there at 6 on Friday, we had no trouble getting a table sans reservation. There was still plenty of space available when we left at 7:30.

I am becoming more convinced than ever that the daily specials are the way to go at Kaz, the two selections off of the regular menu were no better than I could find for far cheaper at a sushi shop with an inferior reputation. The two items from the regular menu were the salmon with mango puree and the unagi. The salmon did not taste as fresh as I remember it being in the past and the mango was a little sharper without as much sweetness as it has had before. The unagi was pedestrian at a patrician price.

For the most part the specials lived up to their billing, the sweet scallop had a compelling velveteen texture, and a fresh taste that was further enhanced by a tart apple garnish. The blue fin toro (not on the specials menu but mentioned while I was ordering) was leaner in appearance than I expected but as richly flavored as I had hoped, and was a steal at $8, the Walu at the same price did not live up to it, but was still delicious and impeccably fresh. My favorite selection were the Botan Shrimp that came with a nice kick hidden under the raw crustacean meat. While the soft shell crab used in the roll by the same name was delicious, it was hard to discern in the overly large and impossible to eat roll.

I hope this was just an off day for the menu items and not a sign of an overall dip in quality.

It's pretty obvious that there are two levels of sushi here [at Kushi], which I don't think is totally uncommon. The more popular items are pre-cut, such as the specials and the pieces that go into the maki. Then there are the items they fly in from Japan. The better, pricier, less popular items are treated with far more care than the others.

I found the same to be true on my most recent trip to Kaz.

I found the same to be true on my most recent trip to Kaz.

Is Kaz now buying high-end fish like Kushi or Sushi Taro? It wouldn't surprise me (he certainly has an appreciation for it) but I've never seen it there; one of his great strengths has always been that he's able to amplify (mask?) the quality of the fish through 1) superb rice and 2) innovative saucing.

It did not appear that he was sourcing that sort of fish, the specials were leagues better than the pre-cut fish, and the regular tuna looked far too red (if you know what I mean). As I mentioned above the sauce on the salmon did nothing to hit its flaws.

One of the best lunch deals in town might be the ginger pork donburri at Kaz's -- $9 on the list of specials. It's a good-size bowl with rice topped with lettuce and the most flavorful, fall-apart pork (shoulder?) you could want. There are only 10 orders available per day but I was there at 1 pm today and had no problems.

Azami and I stopped here for dinner after a presentation on kimono art at the JICC. He raved about the ankimo and the seared scallop with yuzu salt in the sushi moriawase. I ordered a couple of specials (pickled mackerel/gari/shiso roll and deep-fried softshell with ponzu) and a couple of regular dishes (unagi and agedashi tofu). All of my dishes were delicious, but the unagi and age-dofu were notably outstanding. Buttery, silken eel and earthy, crisp, well-sauced tofu -- what's not to love? Desserts were mochi ice cream (espresso, adzuki, and mango) for Azami and bourbon ice cream with espresso tapioca, which tasted mostly of espresso with a bit of a kick, for me. Definitely a dinner that satisfied my craving for Japanese food.

It's a been a year or two since I've been there, but either the quality all over town is just dropping or more realistically, Kaz Sushi Bistro is just getting better thru hard work, and it shows. While haven't always liked some of the fusion items on the menu since it's opened, I think it's one of the rare places in DC that has gotten better over the years. Frankly, I don't think Sushi-ko has ever recovered from the remodeling and the lost of Chef Kaz.

The recent meal was sublime. Thanks!

Lisa and I went there last weekend and had the omakase (sushi only) at the sushi bar. While the selection of fish was quite nice, and the quality of what we received was exceptional, I can't say that we had anything that seemed especially unique or creative. The selection itself was nice but relatively common and the preparation was simple. Don't get me wrong - the quality was far above what most places serve. I guess that for an "omakase" type of experience, I was expecting either more unusual fish selections, or more creative preparation. It was a very good meal yet managed to pale in comparison to our previous visit to Kaz.

Lisa and I went there last weekend and had the omakase (sushi only) at the sushi bar. While the selection of fish was quite nice, and the quality of what we received was exceptional, I can't say that we had anything that seemed especially unique or creative. The selection itself was nice but relatively common and the preparation was simple. Don't get me wrong - the quality was far above what most places serve. I guess that for an "omakase" type of experience, I was expecting either more unusual fish selections, or more creative preparation. It was a very good meal yet managed to pale in comparison to our previous visit to Kaz.

Well I didn't have the omakase, your reasons of simple preparation and lack of creative styling(s), were what I enjoyed on my recent visit. For a few years after Kaz Sushi Bistro opened, I felt he went over the top to far, but to be honest, that thought is a bit of nitpicking on my end. My preference is for more traditional style Japanese, so I'm sure that colors my opinion.

I tried Kaz for the first time last night. Most of the fish was excellent, particularily the scallop and big eye chu. Best sushi I have had in a long time.

The only complaint I had was they were too heavy on the wasabi. I ended up taking so of it off, so I could enjoy the fish.

We were at the bar on Saturday, my first time back since my "lost weekend" experience over 5 years ago. I enjoyed the "Ultimate Sushi" option, and my wife had one of the more modest combos. Everything was superb, that's the only way to put it. I could quibble with the slight heaviness of the tempura on the clams I had, or the amount of wasabi (as majmaj mentioned as well) but the overall standard was so high that they're barely worth mentioning. Everything was clean, fresh and marvelous. I tried especially to focus on the quality of the rice this time, to rewarding effect. Still one of my favorite places to eat in Washington.

We arrived home yesterday after a day of multi-modal travel, and we were starving, but the brutal heat made a heavy, hot meal unthinkable. We decided to hit Kaz, which turned out to be an excellent idea. We were seated in the upper level near the windows, which is the more quiet part of the space. Whether by design or coincidence, I'm not sure, but the upper level tables were populated by couples or adult groups, while families with kids were seated in the main, lower level.

Everything was so delicious. We had the hajiki and jicama salad, sashimi ceviche and the shredded pork salad, and then three rolls - salmon, onion and mint; eel with pickled chili and basil; and a "custom" creation of yellowtail, avocado, jalapeno and cilantro.

The ceviche was super spicy, in the best way. The pieces of fish (flounder, tuna, salmon) were large and very sweet, and they played nicely off the tomato-based soup component. The presentation was fun. A conical shaped bowl was placed in a larger clear globe filled with cold, colored water. This dish was a Japanese, upscale version of my beloved childhood "seafood cocktail," with a great play of spice and tomato and the taste of an ocean breeze.

With a bottle of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, this meal was $100 AFTER tax and tip. Excellent value for delicious, carefully created food in a civilized environment.

I was surprised to see pre-cut fish drying out in the refrigerated case at the sushi bar at Kaz. If I saw this at Kotobuki I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but at Kaz? Not that this is a pillar of global sushi gastronomy, but still, it's one of the higher end places in the city. Should I not be surprised? Is this common practice?

I was surprised to see pre-cut fish drying out in the refrigerated case at the sushi bar at Kaz. If I saw this at Kotobuki I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but at Kaz? Not that this is a pillar of global sushi gastronomy, but still, it's one of the higher end places in the city. Should I not be surprised? Is this common practice?

I'm not a sushi chef by any means, but I think it is pretty common practice to pre-cut raw fish - but a good place will do this on a daily basis. Not sure if really high end places cut fish per order - "a la minute."  More importantly - how did it taste? I've always been very happy with Kaz over the years and usually go a handful or more times each year.  My favorites are the seared salmon belly and salmon with mango sauce.

I hate to say this, but if you're having catered sushi for an event, it's common practice to make it the night before (this has nothing to do with Kaz; it's a general statement).

Was everything in the counter pre-cut? If there were only one or two things, it's possible they were being used as ingredients in other dishes.

• Like 1

I hate to say this, but if you're having catered sushi for an event, it's common practice to make it the night before (this has nothing to do with Kaz; it's a general statement).

Was everything in the counter pre-cut? If there were only one or two things, it's possible they were being used as ingredients in other dishes.

That is an interesting and fair question. At my end of the counter, I could see four or five things, and everything was pre-cut except for a solid block of tuna. On the other hand, the two chefs who were working stood at the other end of the counter, and so I didn't actually get to see how any of the fish in front of me was being used. I had two orders of nigiri, which were fine, not exceptionally good or bad. The main part of my lunch was a bowl of ramen, where other shortcuts were in evidence, including a pre-cooked soft-boiled egg that was still cold when it reached me.

I'm not a sushi chef by any means, but I think it is pretty common practice to pre-cut raw fish - but a good place will do this on a daily basis. Not sure if really high end places cut fish per order - "a la minute."  More importantly - how did it taste? I've always been very happy with Kaz over the years and usually go a handful or more times each year.  My favorites are the seared salmon belly and salmon with mango sauce. 

Having worked as a sushi chef to pay my way through grad school, it is definitely not good standard practice to pre-cut the fish. That said, it has become common practice at many restaurants. It will dry out quickly when cut like that. Also if it's not used after having been pre-cut, it's probably going to end up in the spicy tuna the next day. I personally don't think there is that much of a speed factor gained by pre-cutting unless you're doing huge quantities and a place like Kaz is not doing that high of volume for the number of seats in there.

As Don notes, for catered events, it is often pre-cut, but not the night before. I would go in to the restaurant a few hours before leaving for the event to prep everything, and even then, it depended on the event. Sometimes we would cut per order for smaller events.

Having worked as a sushi chef to pay my way through grad school, it is definitely not good standard practice to pre-cut the fish. That said, it has become common practice at many restaurants. It will dry out quickly when cut like that. Also if it's not used after having been pre-cut, it's probably going to end up in the spicy tuna the next day. I personally don't think there is that much of a speed factor gained by pre-cutting unless you're doing huge quantities and a place like Kaz is not doing that high of volume for the number of seats in there.

As Don notes, for catered events, it is often pre-cut, but not the night before. I would go in to the restaurant a few hours before leaving for the event to prep everything, and even then, it depended on the event. Sometimes we would cut per order for smaller events.

Ok as a former sushi chef, please clarify what may be my misconception. Here is my understanding - typically, fish comes into the sushi restaurant either whole or in huge blocks, and the chefs during the off-hours typically break it down in small pieces.  The small pieces are then placed in the refrigerator cases on the sushi bar.  Then for each order, then chef takes the small block (say about the size of a deck of cards or smaller) and cuts it down further to the proper size for the roll or piece ordered.  So when I said it is I thought it was pre-cut I meant to the more manageable small block, not to a super thin nigri slice. Ami I wrong about this?  In some higher end sushi places, do chefs really cut a whole fish or huge loin piece down to nigri per order?

Ok as a former sushi chef, please clarify what may be my misconception. Here is my understanding - typically, fish comes into the sushi restaurant either whole or in huge blocks, and the chefs during the off-hours typically break it down in small pieces.  The small pieces are then placed in the refrigerator cases on the sushi bar.  Then for each order, then chef takes the small block (say about the size of a deck of cards or smaller) and cuts it down further to the proper size for the roll or piece ordered.  So when I said it is I thought it was pre-cut I meant to the more manageable small block, not to a super thin nigri slice. Ami I wrong about this?  In some higher end sushi places, do chefs really cut a whole fish or huge loin piece down to nigri per order?

And just to clarify, what I saw there were piles of individual nigiri-sized slices.

KeithA, that is exactly what should be happening, whole fish get cut into the fillets as you should see displayed in the case. Unfortunately, a lot of chefs think they can gain some efficiency in speed by pre-cutting the pieces for the nigiri as well which in my opinion degrades the quality of the fish with little gain in speed of preparation.You don't want to be eating a piece of that pre-cut nigiri stuff at 10:00 at night, or even worse, hope they don't re-use unused pieces the next day.

Another practice that annoys me is chefs who wrap their makisu with plastic wrap so rice doesn't stick. Makes it easier to do inside out rolls, but awful for doing traditional maki with the nori on the outside.

• Like 1

First comment in 3 and a half years...?

Went to Kaz Sushi Bistro for lunch with two companions today. 

First observation -- the scaffolding and construction out front really obscure the entrance, so you have to know where you're going. If you're a first-time visitor, you might be confused.

Second observation -- two of our party of three got there a little early, and we were informed that we would only be seated when the entire party was there. But there's not a lot of room inside the front door, so after the two of us starting conversing and taking up space, she decided to seat us anyway. They should probably rethink that policy.

Third observation, for those of you so inclined -- fugu season is soon approaching, and reservations for 2 or 4 are being accepted. I seem to recall it's priced at $150 per person.

Fourth observation -- we were among the first to arrive at 11:45 for lunch, but by 12:30, the line was almost out the door.

My Wednesday bento box special was a nice portion of ginger pork, a similar portion of rice, a salad with miso dressing, and a few spare pieces of sushi. Not a bad deal at $16, but nothing really stood out.

Although not my first choice for sushi downtown, I still appreciate that this place is still somewhat vibrant after all of these years. 

• Like 2

Perhaps telling that there are no posts on Kaz in over a year. I've been a couple times in the past year for lunch and didn't feel there was anything worth writing up, but our experience today at lunch has sealed that it was our last visit.

First, the sushi and beef teriyaki bento box is not beef teriyaki, it is gyudon with the beef in a separate compartment from the rice, so technically not gyudon, but definitely not what I would consider teriyaki style. They were clearly to lazy to mix the meat while cooking because mine was in a big clump from when it was probably frozen and thrown into the pot to cook. Lettuce in the salad was definitely approaching its use by date.

The reason why we will not be going back was my daughter's sushi and sashimi bento which was ordered without wasabi. The waitress seemed to think it was just the extra order of ikura that we wanted w/o wasabi. She took the bento back and brought it back out with the same fish, with the wasabi scraped off. My daughter ate the salmon and could tell immediately there was wasabi. We checked the ebi and could see the traces of wasabi still on the underside of the shrimp. At this point my daughter had eaten two pieces with wasabi and was nearly in tears since we did make her swallow the tuna that had a full dose of wasabi rather than spit it out in the middle of a restaurant. They finally brought out four new pieces, though we had to convince them she should get a replacement tuna, the first piece she ate. Apparently they felt since it had been eaten, it didn't need to be replaced, though in reality they had no plan to replace the other pieces either. 

So much going on wrong here I'm still angry.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Was here in November for a wine-o group dinner - always fun and delicious and reasonable corkage. Lots of champagne and pinot noir were enjoyed with all of the delicious food from Kaz's menu.

Still recommended and I'll be back for sure.

We got to Kaz as well when we were seeing something at Kennedy Center too - that was just my wife and I and also enjoyable and delicious.

PS: We also ordered carryout from here twice I think during the dar days of the pandemic. The food traveled the best of all of the DC carryout we got (we live in Laurel, so a bit of a drive).

• Like 1