China Gourmet, Fairfax - Thai'd.

Well, given the rumors, my sweetie and I, mostly I, decided to go out there for possibly one last occasion, and combine it with a trip to Wegmans.  I hadn't been for a few weeks.

On the whole, it was a disappointment, not so much the food per se, but the front-of-the-house experience. 

Tomorrow is my son's birthday so I thought the time was ripe to introduce him to PC's cooking. We bundled up and headed out to Fairfax at 6:30. First mistake. We arrived at China Gourmet to a parking lot that was packed. I let everyone out of the car and went in search of a parking space. Fortunately, I found one in the oil change place next door. I walked to CG and found Grover and my son and his girlfriend standing outside the restaurant. "It's a one hour wait." My mistake was in not taking into consideration that the Washingtonian had just hit the news stand and Kliman's glowing review of CG was attracting a ton of people. We decided we'd go somewhere else for dinner. As we were leaving, we heard, "They are overwhelmed, you would think they would hire some help", "It's not worth the wait" (this from a Chinese couple), and other mutterings. We got the car and went to A&J where we had to wait 5 minutes for a table, we ordered 7 dishes, really enjoyed all of them, had bubble tea, paid the bill, and left. Four people ate way more than enough food for $50 which included the tip.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As we were leaving, we heard, "They are overwhelmed, you would think they would hire some help", "It's not worth the wait" (this from a Chinese couple), and other mutterings.

I'll bet there is one seriously pissed off dude at the Washingtonian right about now. :)

Cheater pang,

Rocks.

"They are overwhelmed, you would think they would hire some help", "It's not worth the wait" (this from a Chinese couple), and other mutterings. 

Truth be told, I thought they had enough staff on hand--there were at least 4-5 waiters including Yao running around, plus busboy(s), and Jerry and other non-wait staff were even pitching in. True, Kliman's review surely was partly at fault (there were two groups I saw carrying it), although from what I have read here before they already had serious crowds on weekends, and the diners I saw were well represented by Chinese who likely aren't there because of Washingtonian. I still think the basic problem runs deeper, to a lack of organization and planning.

If he stays, with luck things will simmer down and they will get their act together.

One thing I'm learning from his two prior moves: strike while the wok is hot.

It seems with Chef Chang, you've got to strike while the wok is hot. I guess I can scratch this off of my list. :)
This is too culty.  Honestly opinion. Let it go...

Well, I for one, don't intend to let it go. I'm packing up the microbus tonight and heading to Atlanta just as soon as I'm done downloading the rest of the Dead concerts onto my iPod, and somebody tells me where Chef Chang is firing up the wok. Who's getting on the bus with me?

I'm not sure if this is in the wrong thread or if its just a weird testimony to the power of this board, but...

My freind who has eaten Chef Zhangs food with me a couple of times called me saturday looking to eat dinner @ Sezchuan Boy and I convinced him, based on the postings on this board, to go to Joes Noodles house instead. When we got there there were a full thirty people waiting to eat and we had to settle for a (great) meal @ Bob's Noodle 66 instead.

Okay, My day started out great-got on motorcycle, ran errands, sent flowers to a hottie, test drove an Escalade(screw gas prices)then started to drive to Winchester for appointment with my tattoo artist. Hit interstate 66 and went downhill from there :) Took me 2 hours to go 4.2 miles. Coming back from Winchester, the Paving Gods decided to pave route 50 outside Middleburg, by closing one lane for 12 minutes each way. Finally see lights of Fairfax at 9:25 and for some ungodly reason China Gourmet comes to mind, but don't remember exactly where it is, just as I'm barreling down 29 about to dial 411, I pass it, pull a u-turn, pull into an empty lot. Walk in not really knowing what to expect after reading all these reviews. Dean had warned me about the regular menu versus the special menu and gave me some hints on items he had ordered. There are plenty of things we don't always agree on, but he was on the money on this. I learned the hard way with TemptAsian...Fool me once... First impression-Staff...let's just say quite an interesting mix of characters..I am greeted by older madam, and I ask while trying not to laugh(because I have no idea where the name came from) if this was the restaurant that was also known as Schezuan Boy? Seriously people, Sezchuan Boy!!!! She then replies "I'm sorry, Szechuan boy is not here, he called away on family emergency, but we have other chef in kitchen, who is good". I ask about the Special menu, and even drop Pandahugga's name eventhough I don't know the guy, and mention that I am on the Rockwell site, not knowing what to expect. She then tells me that the special menu is all out, so basically I'm stuck with basic Chinese. I'm hungry, it's late and I'm game, knowing there is a good chance it could be mediocre to crap. Finally place the order:

Wonton soup

fried dumpling

moo goo gai pan

shrimp with snow peas

Yes people, all boring, bland shit, but comforting at the same time. I just wanted a little variety, and no I did not eat all of it-I like to graze. And for those of you who have asked, I have lost 57 lbs since Jan 1, Thank you. I feel great

Okay - Madam then comes back to tell me that they are out of snow peas, and baby corn. Would I like Broccoli or Cabbage? I'm like elder Bush, no fucking Broccoli. Extra mushrooms, I say!

8 minutes later and I'm out the door. Get home, unpack, plate the food, and realize it looks like SHIT. The Wonton Soup was EEH, ok, The dumplings were fried in some weird non-tempura looking casing and were horrible. The Moo goo gai pan was chicken----broth---and chicken, I guess they ran out of the other veggies as well. The Shrimp with Nopeas had cabbage and my mushrooms were nowhere to be found. All for the low price of $29.00

Obviously, this man Peter(on the run)Chang or Szechuan Boy as he is known to those who have actually eaten an edible meal in his presence is no longer in the area, so it's safe to tell all to stay away.

Obviously, this man Peter(on the run)Chang or Szechuan Boy as he is known to those who have actually eaten an edible meal in his presence is no longer in the area, so it's safe to tell all to stay away.

sounds sinister. the end? or to be continued?

Looks like they are going to need a part two in the Washingtonian...

have you noticed that everytime he gets a good review he leaves and goes somewhere else. We might want to send a "To Whom It May Concern" to the Atlanta media telling them not to do a good review of any restaurant where PC happens to be (for the moment).

Kliman does some actual reporting on his chog:

"For now, though, it appears that reports of Chang's departure are greatly exaggerated.

Late last night, I talked with owner Jerry Lan, who insisted that Chang had not left the restaurant. According to Lan, Chang and his wife, Hongying (who handles all the restaurant's cold appetizers) went to South Carolina to be with their teenage daughter, who was in a car accident. Her injuries are not thought to be serious, and Lan said he expects the two to return to the restaurant on Wednesday.

"Given all his history, people panic," said Lan. "But it's nothing to panic about.""

Apparently TemptAsian is harassing him about his green card, but Chang has an attorney now, courtesy of China Gourmet's owner, and they think they can take care of it.

Kliman does some actual reporting on his chog:

Apparently TemptAsian is harassing him about his green card, but Chang has an attorney now, courtesy of China Gourmet's owner, and they think they can take care of it.

So, he's NOT moving to Atlanta? :)

I am actually kind of surprised that Zhang left so suddenly, but it appears to be true. Poor Jerry at China Gourmet must be Jerked like crazy, since all his plans hinged on this guy coming to work for him, and he has now hired a slew of (terrible) staff to complement Yao who now he'll probably have to let go. Add to that the fact that throngs of Washingtonian readers are now descending on the place daily only to find that the food is awful.

During Zhang's last few days I ate there three days in a row for various reasons, and at each I was very disappointed by the number of dishes that were not available and then by the poor quality of what we ended up getting. Thank goodness China Star is still on its game (I wouldn't be surprised if they bought the place in Atlanta for Zhang to move to, to bring business back to them from China Gourmet).

Peter Chang is Keyser Soze!

Not Kaiser Sosa, but his evil cousin Rolo Tomasi.

After reading Todd's piece about Chef Zhang in the May Washingtonian I had little sympathy for Jerry. He'd been watching Zhang for years and planned to bring him to his restaurant - but he just couldn't implement correctly. I'd gone through the DR Sunday dinner disaster (too many tables, not enough restaurant) excusing the issues by thinking that Jerry didn't know what he had on his hands (a chef with a following).

This is better than a soap opera or a B-school case study (or B-movie).

Not Kaiser Sosa, but his evil cousin Rolo Tomasi.

After reading Todd's piece about Chef Zhang in the May Washingtonian I had little sympathy for Jerry. He'd been watching Zhang for years and planned to bring him to his restaurant - but he just couldn't implement correctly.  I'd gone through the DR Sunday dinner disaster (too many tables, not enough restaurant) excusing the issues by thinking that Jerry didn't know what he had on his hands (a chef with a following).

This is better than a soap opera or a B-school case study (or B-movie).

I don't ever remember Temp Asian being crowded the several times I went before he moved to Fairfax,maybe because it was a bad location. I have been trying to get to the new place for several weeks, but I guess I missed my chance.

Hmm. Wonder if I should start taking bids for the remaining 3 golden powder ribs and 1 piece of five flavor sesame roasted pancake in the fridge?  :)

The hell with auction strategy........"Golden Powder Ribs" -- from the moment I read on DR of this dish, I knew I had to have it. Bidding starts at what?

The hell with auction strategy........"Golden Powder Ribs" -- from the moment I read on DR of this dish, I knew I had to have it.  Bidding starts at what?

Unfortunately, the ribs met a noble end earlier this evening (as the pancake had earlier in the week). :)

I just cannot keep silent on the subject of the golden powder ribs. I have heard and seen people go crazy over these ribs, but having had them twice I cannot see what the fuss is about. They were good ribs and all, but the fried panko-like crust was nothing special at all and hardly did anything for the dish. What was the big attraction?

I just cannot keep silent on the subject of the golden powder ribs.  I have heard and seen people go crazy over these ribs, but having had them twice I cannot see what the fuss is about.  They were good ribs and all, but the fried panko-like crust was nothing special at all and hardly did anything for the dish.  What was the big deal?

One could weep over your use of the preterite.

I just cannot keep silent on the subject of the golden powder ribs.  I have heard and seen people go crazy over these ribs, but having had them twice I cannot see what the fuss is about.  They were good ribs and all, but the fried panko-like crust was nothing special at all and hardly did anything for the dish.  What was the big deal?

Um . . . they tasted good. :)

I just cannot keep silent on the subject of the golden powder ribs.  I have heard and seen people go crazy over these ribs, but having had them twice I cannot see what the fuss is about.  They were good ribs and all, but the fried panko-like crust was nothing special at all and hardly did anything for the dish.  What was the big attraction?

At the risk of further sullying what's left of my reputation, I liked the crumbs. Maybe I'm just a fool for oily bread.

Seriously though, isn't that crumb stuff essentially the same as the stuff that makes Lake Windless prawns Lake Windless prawns? Hollywood East also uses something similar for a clam dish they serve which is very tasty. IIRC they also have a chicken dish with it, and I think they may do it with shrimp too.

I don't remember the Lake Windless Prawns having a breading, but I am also not a big fan of that dish, so perhaps it does.

I remember getting that in a delivery order from China Star way back when. The crumb topping was very much hotter than that on the ribs, but I found it quite addictive.

I refuse to admit that I have no taste. I say, to each her own (and more for me if you don't like something that I do).

I don't remember the Lake Windless Prawns having a breading, but I am also not a big fan of that dish, so perhaps it does.

The Lake Windless Prawns are (were?) not breaded but served on a bedding of some kind of carbohydrate, which reminded me more of couscous than rice but was maybe panko?

I don't ever remember Temp Asian being crowded the several times I went before he moved to Fairfax,maybe because it was a bad location. I have been trying to get to the new place for several weeks, but I guess I missed my chance.

In the evenings TemptAsian was jammed every time I went there, before the chef moved to Szechuan Boy/China Gourmet.

My husband I were there with some friends last Sunday evening. The restaurant was very busy and our waiter seemed a bit overwhelmed. He said the restaurant was out of several things we requested -- to the point where we just went along with his suggestions. The food was good, though not as good as when Chef You-Know-Who was there, and the service was excellent. Two members of our group asked for separate checks, which the waiter handled very well.