Alberto's - Good Late-Night Slices at West Dupont, Adams Morgan, and Silver Spring - Closed

[posted on eGullet 2003-2004]

P.S. I'm convinced Alberto's serves its slices too hot, and they gain some benefit by being taken outside to chill in the air for 2-3 minutes. Otherwise, the cheese can cling to the roof of your mouth and remove your skin.

The problem with viscous things such as cheese is that the thickness raises the boiling point, and it's possible to be above 212 F before actually boiling. One day I was driving down the BW Parkway having just ordered hot-and-sour soup, and foolishly attempting to eat it while driving (I was starving and in a hurry). Well, I lifted the plastic container up by the top part because it was too hot to handle in the middle; unfortunately, the weight of the soup ripped the lid off, and I was left holding just the lid while the bottom half of the container went plummeting downward towards my crotch, where it literally caused a second-degree burn on the inside of my thigh - unlike boiling water, which runs off, thick hot-and-sour soup just sits there and clings - this, while driving at 55 mph.

I began unleashing a string of invectives, coming straight from the bowels of Hell, while hunched over my steering wheel. Screaming at the top of my lungs, in one breath, every known cuss word in the English language at least twice, I finally looked over towards my left when I was out of breath and could cuss no longer, and there was another car driving parallel to me, and the poor driver was looking at me like she had just seen something really terrible.

With less than ten hours remaining in the year, I had my most horrific restaurant experience of 2003. It was worse than seeing a rat. This afternoon after a beautiful walk along Rock Creek, I got some takeout pizza from a little hole-in-the-wall I sometimes frequent, and asked if I could wash my hands in their restroom (employees only). The restroom is a clean-but-decrepit little rectangular cube, in the back of the building, which couldn't be much larger than 6-feet by 3-feet. Against the back wall is a unisex toilet, and sticking in the front wall is a sink. There is virtually no room on either side, and not much room in the middle. As I leaned down to turn on the faucet, I saw a handwritten sign over the sink: Please Do Not Sit.

Potemkin.jpg

With less than ten hours remaining in the year, I had my most horrific restaurant experience of 2003. It was worse than seeing a rat. This afternoon after a beautiful walk along Rock Creek, I got some takeout pizza from a little hole-in-the-wall I sometimes frequent, and asked if I could wash my hands in their restroom (employees only). The restroom is a clean-but-decrepit little rectangular cube, in the back of the building, which couldn't be much larger than 6-feet by 3-feet. Against the back wall is a unisex toilet, and sticking in the front wall is a sink. There is virtually no room on either side, and not much room in the middle. As I leaned down to turn on the faucet, I saw a handwritten sign over the sink: Please Do Not Sit.

Well, let me tell you of a sign in a ladies' room of a Guyanese eating establishment that shall remain unnamed. I tried to remove it, but it was glued on good and steady.

"Ladies, please remain seated throughout the entire performance."

kickass.gif

My first time at Alberto's was my last meal of 2004 and I fell in love. Considering we are in DC, this is what pizza should be. Crust isn't too thick, cheese is stringy, if you close your eyes you can almost imagine you are in NY (almost).

The only caveat is that it does not reheat well the next day. Before the fire :lol: I liked to grab a slice on Sundays, walk over to the Market and watch people buy healthy food while I endulge in grease and carbs.

OPEN FOR BUSINESS AGAIN

Here's my favorite Alberto's order:

Large stuffed pie, mushrooms, spinach, pesto, and feta. YUM.

I've never been too impressed with their by-the-slice pizza, though. I don't love the thin crust. Has anyone ever had Pinnochio's ('noch's) sicilian pizza in Cambridge, MA? That's THE perfect pizza.

I still eat at Alberto's even though I fractured a molar by chomping down on a small pebble that somehow found its way into (on to?) my pizza.

When it first happened I underestimated the damage to my tooth. A year later, during my first ever visit to an endodontist, she noted during the exam the unusual pattern of decay/destruction in my molar and said that my crown had fallen out. Problem is I'd never had a crown. The only insult I've ever had was the Alberto's one. She said it sounded like the culprit.

My (laziness induced) unwillingness to walk back from Dupont Circle to the store and show them the rock ended up costing me about $2800. Well, who can say how they would've responded, so maybe not..

Mmmm... I love Alberto's. May have to splurge this week on a pie. They have a terrific ceasar salad, and they're the best delivery I've found in the city... but yowza they're expensive. With tip, it's $35-40 for a salad and large pie!

And, obviously, even more expensive if you have to buy a new tooth, too... :lol:

Edited by Connave

Alberto's has opened a second location, smack dab in the middle of 18th St in Adams Morgan.

I think the slices prices are higher than the Dupont location ($4.50 for Chicken Pesto), but they are enormous, a full quarter-pie, and they're tasty, and I didn't wake up this morning feeling like I'd been poisoned -- so, in short, they're no Jumbo Slice.

It really hit the spot after one of those long rock show into adams morgan evenings...

Alex

I've only had Alberto's 3 times (all the P St location), and aside from one of them being a drunken 3am visit (which was great), the other two times (dinner and lunchtime respectively) were both very disappointing. I think their slices benefit immensely from the high turnover of the 3am crowd. If they sit out for too long, they seize up and get a very unappealing texture. I'd give them another try if I saw the line coming out the door, but otherwise...

I've only had Alberto's 3 times (all the P St location), and aside from one of them being a drunken 3am visit (which was great), the other two times (dinner and lunchtime respectively) were both very disappointing. I think their slices benefit immensely from the high turnover of the 3am crowd. If they sit out for too long, they seize up and get a very unappealing texture. I'd give them another try if I saw the line coming out the door, but otherwise...
If you want the true Albertos experience, it's better to order a full pie (thin crust, of course). The slices just don't do it for me. If you plan on doing delivery, keep in mind that it can take about an hour on busy weekend nights!

We like Alberto's because it does do a pretty authentic Chicago style pizza, and the pan and chicago style crusts are chewy, flavorful and substantial. The Dupont Circle location's service was always spotty (and they took forever to deliver), but we recently ordered a garlic crust pan pizza with pepperoni, sausage, mushroom and spinach, and a caesar salad from the AM location, and both were great. Definitely took the 50-55 minutes that they said it would, and for $35, it's not the cheapest, but it was good.

We like Alberto's because it does do a pretty authentic Chicago style pizza, and the pan and chicago style crusts are chewy, flavorful and substantial. The Dupont Circle location's service was always spotty (and they took forever to deliver), but we recently ordered a garlic crust pan pizza with pepperoni, sausage, mushroom and spinach, and a caesar salad from the AM location, and both were great. Definitely took the 50-55 minutes that they said it would, and for $35, it's not the cheapest, but it was good.

I like the pizza at Alberto's but prohibit myself from ever ordering from there again. A couple of years ago I ordered delivery, waited a long amount of time, and the delivery man then demanded double the price when he got to my door -- take it or leave it. Quite hungry and with an empty pantry, I paid the man. I can't recall exactly what response I received when I called the store, but obviously it was not to my satisfaction (suffice it to say I never got my money or any future considerations).

We like Alberto's because it does do a pretty authentic Chicago style pizza, and the pan and chicago style crusts are chewy, flavorful and substantial.
I recently happened to go to with a couple of friends who were visiting from Chicago. We were all perplexed at the claim that this is "Chicago-style" pizza (which I never really noticed before). I thought Chicago style generally meant deep-dish? The slices, as is usually the case here, were terrible (with the unappealing texture that ferment everything mentioned).

I've heard lots of good things about Alberto's, but we ordered a deep dish pie from the Adams Morgan location about a week ago, and I swear, it was the worst pizza I've ever eaten in my entire life. It had a really strange taste to it, the crust on the bottom was burnt while the crust inside was undercooked and doughy, the pepperoni was almost nonexistent, and on top of that, we both felt sick to our stomachs after eating it.

Maybe their thin crust slices are better? I only tried the place because Armand's was closed (this was on New Year's Day).

I've heard lots of good things about Alberto's, but we ordered a deep dish pie from the Adams Morgan location about a week ago, and I swear, it was the worst pizza I've ever eaten in my entire life. It had a really strange taste to it, the crust on the bottom was burnt while the crust inside was undercooked and doughy, the pepperoni was almost nonexistent, and on top of that, we both felt sick to our stomachs after eating it.

Maybe their thin crust slices are better? I only tried the place because Armand's was closed (this was on New Year's Day).

My impression is that their specialty is thin crust. FWIW I don't LUV their pizza but I find it a credible pie and pick up a slice every now and again.

I've often said that Alberto's pizza should never be served too hot - there's something about the dry-herb overtones that suffer from it.

A slice of Roma Tomato and Artichoke ($4.25) now has me convinced that it also shouldn't be served too cold, because at room temperature, the crust displays an unpleasant yeasty note that takes away from the pizza.

The Dupont location is open until 5 AM on Fridays and Saturdays!

Cheers,

Rocks.

I've often said that Alberto's pizza should never be served too hot - there's something about the dry-herb overtones that suffer from it.

A slice of Roma Tomato and Artichoke ($4.25) now has me convinced that it also shouldn't be served too cold, because at room temperature, the crust displays an unpleasant yeasty note that takes away from the pizza.

Still awaiting the opening of the Silver Spring location. I can't rely on Pizza Boli as my only pizza source (I only order pizzas from places that serve green olives as a topping. Calling it a dependency if you must).

Still awaiting the opening of the Silver Spring location. I can't rely on Pizza Boli as my only pizza source (I only order pizzas from places that serve green olives as a topping. Calling it a dependency if you must).

I asked the guy at the Dupont location shortly before the holidays (right after they reopened), and he said the Silver Spring location would open in about two months. The fire at the Dupont location definitely set the timeline back.

Wow, I didn't even realize that I'd removed Alberto's from the Dining Guide (mistakenly), many years ago.

Mar 2, 2011 - "Alberto's Pizza Closes in Adams Morgan" on popville.com

Does anyone remember which of the three locations was the last standing? I only ever went to the West Dupont location (it was the only thing open after a night at Bistrot du Coin), and their slices were really good.

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Wow, I didn't even realize that I'd removed Alberto's from the Dining Guide (mistakenly), many years ago.

Mar 2, 2011 - "Alberto's Pizza Closes in Adams Morgan" on popville.com

Does anyone remember which of the three locations was the last standing? I only ever went to the West Dupont location (it was the only thing open after a night at Bistrot du Coin), and their slices were really good.

You were hungry after you ate dinner?  I applaud your dedication to eating!