Taste of the Nation DC - Mon, April 8, 2013

jpbloom

Share Our Strength

It takes more than food to fight hunger

Thank you to everyone that showed up for the event, especially the chefs, bar chefs, wine folks, and the outstanding volunteer committee that makes it all happen! Special thanks to Cathal and Todd from Restaurant Eve for coordinating the restaurants and drinks, and La Tosca for hosting an excellent after-party! Attendance was at its highest in the 19 years of the event at 1400, and we raised $115,000. We've already got a date for next year, April 2nd, and tickets are available online, tell your friends. If your interested in joining the volunteer committee that organizes, or know of anyone who might like to sponsor the event, please drop me a line.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Howdy all! It's that time of year when we start to plan next years Taste of the Nation event. It's one of the districts biggest food and wine events with over 50 of the areas best restaurants, and 20-30 beverage stations. This event is a fundraiser to help fight childhood hunger in the district and surrounding areas put on by Share Our Strength www.strength.org. This event is entirely arranged by volunteers, which ebnables 100% of the tickets sold to go directly to fighting hunger. Last year the event raised 120k. We looking to expand the volunteer committee, so we are throwing a party, graciously hosted by Barton Seaver, this years chef chair, at Gate 54 downstairs from Cafe Saint-Ex on Monday Nov. 13, at 6:30PM. Come out for some food, drinks, and to find out how you can help end childhood hunger! If you can't attend this event, but would still like to volunteer, email dctaste@gmail.com

DC_Taste_Recruiting_poster.pdf

Howdy all! It's that time of year when we start to plan next years Taste of the Nation event. It's one of the districts biggest food and wine events with over 50 of the areas best restaurants, and 20-30 beverage stations. This event is a fundraiser to help fight childhood hunger in the district and surrounding areas put on by Share Our Strength www.strength.org. This event is entirely arranged by volunteers, which ebnables 100% of the tickets sold to go directly to fighting hunger. Last year the event raised 120k. We looking to expand the volunteer committee, so we are throwing a party, graciously hosted by Barton Seaver, this years chef chair, at Gate 54 downstairs from Cafe Saint-Ex on Monday Nov. 13, at 6:30PM. Come out for some food, drinks, and to find out how you can help end childhood hunger! If you can't attend this event, but would still like to volunteer, email dctaste@gmail.com

If you've been to Taste or been on the committee please feel free to add your comments about the event, Yes Jake this means you!

Never been on "the committee"--there's usually a much more prominent (and connected) person running the beverage side of things.

For those of you considering exhibiting: Please do. It's a great event, there is beaucoup help loading, unloading, and setting up (from volunteers--THAT MEANS YOU), the afterparty is great fun, etc, etc.

For those of you considering attending: Do I have to make the case? Great food, great booze, local Iron Cheffing, great cause. And you can always come and have a "rest" on my side of the table!

you can always come and have a "rest" on my side of the table!

Can I be your booth babe again? :)

Seriously, though, this is a great event: a good way to satisfy your curiosity about those places you haven't been to yet, great entertainment (especially from Jake's side of the table), and all for a good cause.

Hello Everyone... Just wanted to say that if you have never attended or volunteered for this event you should consider doing so. I have been volunteering for several years and it has been an honor getting to work with such a committed and caring group of individuals. Not only is it the 20th anniversary of the Taste of the Nation in Washington DC but indications are that this will be our best event ever! Come by Gate 54 next Monday, November 13th at 6:30 and find out how you too can share your strengths to help end childhood hunger in the DC area. Let's all have a hand in creating a hungry free generation.

Absolutely, I was planning on posting the following information as soon as I could.

First, 100% of the ticket price from Taste of the Nation DC will go toward eradicating childhood hunger in the District. Ask Me How DC I was shocked to learn that DC has one of the highest rates of childhood hunger in the country; close to 50% of children in the city go hungry every day!

Second, the entire event is organized and managed by volunteers. Whatever your skill, there is a need to make the event a success. Seriously, the committee consists of people who do everything from recruiting other volunteers to soliciting sponsors and auction items.

Third, the next volunteer meeting is Nov. 28 at the SOS office in DC. I will post information as I receive it.

Could you give more specific info?

How many volunteers do they need? What are the specific comittees? What are the time commitments? What specific skills (if any) do they really need help with? What aren't they looking for? Can you only work the event or do you have to come to meetings? etc.....

Could you give more specific info?

How many volunteers do they need? What are the specific comittees? What are the time commitments? What specific skills (if any) do they really need help with? What aren't they looking for? Can you only work the event or do you have to come to meetings? etc.....

They didn't get into specifics, aside from needing volunteers to work the night of the event and for committees to enlist restaurants to participate, do public relations, and round up auction items. There should be more detailed info after the Nov. 28 meeting.

Xochiti is correct, the meeting Monday night was to entice people to come to the planning meeting on Nov. 28.

How many volunteers do they need? Loads and loads... the entire event is put on by volunteers.

What are the specific comittees? Sounds like there is one for everything required to put on a benefit... auction items, pr, ticket sales, et al.

What are the time commitments? As much as it takes to get your job done.

What specific skills (if any) do they really need help with? Xochiti has a nice summary... they need everything!

What aren't they looking for? They need everything it is entirely a volunteer operation.

Can you only work the event or do you have to come to meetings? Yes there is absolutely a need for volunteers that work only the day of the event... In fact, they mentioned that last year they had a load of high school students helping the chefs load in for the day. :-)

Thanks for all of the info. Please do post the meeting time for the 28th when you have it. I have a show that night, but if the meeting is early enough I could possibly be there before it starts.
I think that is the plan for a few dr.com members! :-)

They didn't get into specifics, aside from needing volunteers to work the night of the event and for committees to enlist restaurants to participate, do public relations, and round up auction items. There should be more detailed info after the Nov. 28 meeting.

Howdy! Attached is an org chart which describes all of the chairs, each chair than has a subcommittee under it.

committee_structure_orgchart.ppt

As promised, here is the information on the next meeting:

We will be having a full committee meeting on Tuesday, November 28th at 6:30 PM to be held at the Share Our Strength offices. The address is 1730 M Street NW, Suite 700 Washington, DC 20036. At this meeting we will be going into further detail the types of positions that are available to volunteers as well as an opportunity for those of you who have not been involved in the committee before to ask questions and gather more information. This will better allow you to see where you may like to lend your assistance for 2007.

Thanks and we hope to see you all next Tuesday.

Scott Hunt, Event Co-Chair

I am planning on attending, PM me if you want to join me or can't make the meeting and I'll be your proxy*.

*As proxy I am authorized to sign you up for any job I want to :-) :):)

p.s. Mr. DonRocks would you retitle this thread to indicate that it is general information for people interested in volunteering for Taste of the Nation 2007... thanks!

As promised, I am here to report on the kick off committee meeting for the Taste of the Nation DC 2007. Xochiti (sp?) attended as well, so I am sure she will be able to chime in along with Chef Jeff.

First, the news... Taste of the Nation DC 2007 will be held on April 9 at the Washington Hilton. Tickets are $75. There is a lounge area available for $110 upcharge. (apparently the lounge is good if you like the idea of sitting down)

Second, the opportunities. Wow, this is a huge volunteer endeavor with many opportunities to fit any schedule. The work is divided among the following committees:

Public relations: Communicating details of the event with traditional and new media, including coordinating press events for participating chefs and educating the media about the purpose of the event.

Marketing: Spreading the word to potential attendees through grassroots and other methods.

Operations: Preparing for, and managing, the logistics of the event.

Restaurant: Serving as a liason between the restaurants/chefs and the event; coordinating marketing through participating restaurants; developing relationships with restaurants/chefs to have them participate; finding out the needs of the restaurants/chefs for day of the event; coordinating the logistics of the chefs; delivering the check in packages prior to the event... according to the chairs of the event this is a great way to check out restaurants

Beverage: Ditto the above but with distributors and other beverage providers (perhaps Jparrot can chime in since he has been a participant)

Corporate Sponsorships: Obtaining sponsors for the event (ranging from VIP Tables of $2500 to $50,000 sponsorship opportunities).

VIP Sales: Targeted ticket sales to people who will buy the upper level tickets that include access to a lounge and other benefits.

Ticket Sales: Selling tickets

Auction: Acquiring items for a live and silent auction

Volunteers: Recruiting volunteers... there is a huge need the day of the event.

Hunger Message: Communicating the purpose of the event during the event

The next meeting will be in two weeks. I'll keep everybody posted.

Last night I posted the general descriptions of volunteer opportunities, but I thought I would expand on a couple that seem right up the alley of people who post on DR.com-- the Restaurant and Beverage Committees. Many people who post on this board have close relationships with the chefs and managers of restaurants that they frequent, as well as the chefs and managers who post on DR.com. Here, you would have the opportunity to work closely with the chef/restaurant AND Taste of the Nation DC to help end childhood hunger in DC.

I forgot that the mission of Taste of the Nation is to raise funds to eradicate childhood hunger in Washington. Partnership to End Childhood Hunger in the Nation's Capital

Syn, they are sending out an email with instructions on how to sign up for committee. I will post the information when I receive it. I will also post information on how to volunteer the day of the event or for specific tasks as I find out.

Last night I posted the general descriptions of volunteer opportunities, but I thought I would expand on a couple that seem right up the alley of people who post on DR.com-- the Restaurant and Beverage Committees. Many people who post on this board have close relationships with the chefs and managers of restaurants that they frequent, as well as the chefs and managers who post on DR.com. Here, you would have the opportunity to work closely with the chef/restaurant AND Taste of the Nation DC to help end childhood hunger in DC.

I forgot that the mission of Taste of the Nation is to raise funds to eradicate childhood hunger in Washington. Partnership to End Childhood Hunger in the Nation's Capital

Syn, they are sending out an email with instructions on how to sign up for committee. I will post the information when I receive it. I will also post information on how to volunteer the day of the event or for specific tasks as I find out.

For those interested in volunteering, please email:

dctaste@gmail.com

We would love to have more volunteers!!! As soon as I know the date for the next meeting, I will post it

One other thing. 100% of ticket sales gets granted out, not only to the Partnership to End Childhood Hunger in the Nation's Capital, but to some other great groups as well, past recipients have included The Children's Health Project of DC, Food & Friends, The Capital Area Food Bank. DC Hunger Solutions, and Community Family Life Services. 83% of the ticket price stays in the District with 3% pegged for the local Operation Frontline Program http://www.strength.org/what/operationfrontline/. The remaining 17% is granted internationally, see the attached sheet for details on that. Last year Dc Taste of the Nation was able to grant out 120 thousand dollars

International_Fact_Sheet_2005.pdf

PREMIER CHEFS GATHER IN APRIL TO FIGHT CHILDHOOD HUNGER IN WASHINGTON DC

Washington, D.C. – April 9th, 2007, marks Share Our Strength’s 19th annual Taste of the Nation, presented by American Express, the nation’s finest and largest culinary benefit supporting the fight to end childhood hunger in America, where Washington, DC’s top restaurants will gather once again to fight childhood hunger with flavorful food and a passion for the cause. This year’s gala event will be held at the Hilton Washington (1919 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington, DC) with a VIP preview from 6:00 - 7:00p.m. and general admission from 7:00p.m. - 10:00p.m.

Along with this year’s 2007 Honorary Event Chair Chef Barton Seaver and Beverage Chair Nadine Brown of Charlie Palmer Steak, more than 50 of Washington D.C.’s top restaurants, wineries and beverage purveyors will participate in Taste of the Nation, providing an amazing evening, highlighting the best Washington, DC has to offer in food and wine. Restaurant participants include resident favorites Equinox, Restaurant Eve and Oceanaire, as well as new additions such as PS 7’s, Eamonn’s A Dublin Chipper and Buzz Bakery. Exciting live and silent auctions will be held throughout the event with vacation and spa packages, shopping sprees, entertainment packages, rare wines and more.

This year, the VIP section will feature dedicated seating, a full bar, as well as the decadent cuisine of some of DC’s top chefs. All VIP guests will also be treated with a gift bag to take away from the event.

Due to the generous support of presenting sponsor American Express, national sponsors SYSCO and Food Network, national product sponsors Jack Daniels, San Pellegrino and WineStyles, as well as local premiere sponsors L’Academie de Cuisine and Balducci’s, 100% of ticket sale proceeds will go directly to the fight to end childhood hunger in Washington, DC and across America.

In 2007 Share Our Strength’s Taste of the Nation, presented by American Express, will mobilize thousands of the best chefs and restaurants to donate their time, talent and cuisine to create more than 70 events throughout the United States and Canada, helping to raise millions of dollars for hungry children in their own communities and around the country. Each unique event takes on the personality, culture and cuisine of its host city with formats ranging from food and wine tastings to seated dinners and outdoor barbeques.

"Taste of the Nation gives you the opportunity to try all of the best area restaurants in one place for one incredible night while supporting the fight against childhood hunger in DC and around the nation,” said Share Our Strength’s Associate Director Debbie Shore. “The event is led entirely by volunteers from organizers to chefs, helping to ensure that 100% of ticket sales will go to those who need it." Washington, DC’s 2007 grant recipients are The Capital Area Food Bank, Food and Friends and FRAC/DC Hunger Solutions.

The poverty rate for school children ages 5 – 17 in the District of Columbia is 51.3 percent compared with 34.5 percent nationally, the highest in the nation. This translates to 200,000 children at risk of hunger in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area – 56,000 in the District alone, or 1 in 2 children.

Tickets are $75 for General Admission, $110 for General Admission and the VIP Lounge, $200 for VIP Ticket Area Admission (including admission into the entire event), and VIP tables are $2,500 per table. All tickets can be purchased by calling 1-877-26Taste or visiting www.tasteofthenation.org.

About Share Our Strength

Since 1984, Share Our Strength has led the fight against global hunger and poverty by inspiring individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Today we are focusing on ending childhood hunger in America. By raising funds to support the most effective community-based programs that feed hungry children, partnering with organizations pursuing long-term solutions, and helping families help themselves through education programs, Share Our Strength will ensure that the nearly 12 million children facing hunger have access to the nutritious food they need to learn, grow and thrive. For more information please visit www.strength.org

# # #

For more information, please visit www.strength.org or email info@2911productions.com.

What's the appropriate attire for this thing?

I'm bringing two lady-friends with me... who'll crucify me if I don't advise them properly. :blink:

Hmm, I don't know if there's a dress code. I'm wearing what I wore to work today since I don't have time to change (Dress slacks and dress shirt) but I'll probably throw on a sport coat as well. Last I heard, my wife is wearing a nice dress with heels but that's probably changed three or four times since then.

What's the appropriate attire for this thing?

I'm bringing two lady-friends with me... who'll crucify me if I don't advise them properly. :blink:

don't associate the word "gala" with the appropriate attire for this thing. i saw three people in "gala attire" last year.

Hmm, I don't know if there's a dress code. I'm wearing what I wore to work today since I don't have time to change (Dress slacks and dress shirt) but I'll probably throw on a sport coat as well. Last I heard, my wife is wearing a nice dress with heels but that's probably changed three or four times since then.

most people were wearing whatever they wore to work on the day of the event last year.

It was great to come down and visit with everyone at the event. If you didn't see me, I was the guy walking around handing out knives to all the participating chefs. I just wanted to add that I worked on this event for 4 years and this was the biggest and best I've seen thanks to an amazing volunteer committee, and incredible chefs wine folks (that means you Jake), and everyone else without whom an event like that is possible. I believe that close to $150,000 was raised. I'm no longer at SOS, or in DC but I'm still volunteering, NY Taste of teh Nation is coming up on May 23rd for those willing to make the trip, you can check out the participating restaurants at http://www.newyorktaste.org/restaurants.html

I'll be there, but as a volunteer. I've been helping put together this year's event. Here's a link to the ticket buying page: http://taste.strength.org/site/Clubs?club_...078&pg=main

It is going to be great this year! In addition the usual gastronimical delights, there will be a chocolate bar. Also, there are tons of great items up for auction (both silent and live) and the bar chef competition will surely be entertaining.

Please feel free to post or PM me if you have any questions. I hope to see lots of familiar faces on Monday.

How was it? Who won the cocktail competition?

Justin Guthrie of Central.

Barry Koslov has a rocking pork belly that was perfectly balanced and integrated between the fat & lean, Haidar Karoum from Proof has delicious pate in brioche mini sandwiches, Brendan Cox had nice Scallops in a sour sauce, the root veggie puree under the mat mix from Beck was pretty decadent.

I really wish the large festivals in DC were, more often, like Taste of the Nation -- minus the VERY loud speakers toward the end. The food was great, the chefs were in a good, chatty mood and there were pretty decent wines. Aziz from Tannic Tongue had an outstanding Viognier from Washington state. We were the only table with Champagne; between the chefs and the folks with taste, we had a small mob!

They are doing a volunteer recruiting happy hour for the 2009 Taste of the Nation tonight at Vidalia. Via metrocurean

In preparation for the 21st annual Taste of the Nation event in March 2009, the DC Taste of the Nation Volunteer Committee invites all DC foodies to lend a helping hand. Alongside Chef Chair R.J. Cooper, Chef de Cuisine of Vidalia, the volunteer committee seeks new members to become involved in the planning process of this highly anticipated culinary event. On Monday, November 10th, 2008 from 6-8 pm, Vidalia's acclaimed wine-tasting happy hour will host a special recruitment event, offering more than a flight of wine. Learn more about how to become an active member in the fight against childhood hunger while sipping and munching on tasty treats, courtesy of Vidalia's dedication to the cause. Feel free to bring along any guests who may be interested in further involvement with the DC Taste of the Nation Committee. We look forward to seeing you there!

To learn more about this event, please contact Judith Mandel at judith@2911productions.com or 703-549-0585.

Hi all - this year's event is at a new venue, with some new restaurant additions and mixologists being showcased for a great cause. I know with the economy in its current state, it's hard to ask you all to consider this event, but the importance of striving towards ending childhood hunger in America and supporting this mission hopefully resonates more.

From the data given at the last meeting, we a bit short on auction items and sponsorship so if anyone has suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Taste of the Nation ticket site

Taste of the Nation

Washington, DC

March 30, 2009

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium

1301 Constitution Ave. NW

Washington, DC 20004

The time has come again! Yes, Share Our Strength's Taste of the Nation 2009 is quickly approaching. Held on Monday, March 30th at the Andrew Mellon Auditorium, the event will celebrate its 21st year with the support of D.C.'s 40 finest restaurants, chefs and mixologists.

Join James Beard Award Winning Chef Chair RJ Cooper in coming together for a night of fine dining and fundraising as the D.C. culinary community raises the critical funds needed to help end childhood hunger. Complementing the evening’s incredible fare, guests can look forward to the new Wine Bar feature as well as specialty cocktails from the city’s top mixologists and Master Mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim from Las Vegas. Complete with the festive sounds of DJ Erin Myers plus fabulous live and silent auctions, this culinary celebration is sure to be a night to remember. Help us ensure no kid in America grows up hungry and support Taste of the Nation DC!

This year’s VIP section will launch its first interactive feature, as chef Cooper and chef Kaz Okochi lead hands-on demonstrations with VIP guests while top mixologists create innovative cocktails. Guests will also have the opportunity to sample sweet treats throughout the night from DC’s finest pastry chefs in the new VIP Dessert Den.

VIP guests will have the rare opportunity to mingle with notable DC chefs who will be honored for their long-standing dedication to the local culinary community. This year’s honorees are:

Jeffrey Buben, Roberto Donna, Bob Kinkead, Ris Lacoste, Kaz Okochi, Michel Richard, Jeff Tunks & Robert Wiedmaier.

To purchase tickets please visit Taste of the Nation Washington, DC

We look forward to seeing you there!