jpbloom

Taste of the Nation DC - Mon, April 8, 2013

Hi all - this year's event is at a new venue, with some new restaurant additions and mixologists being showcased for a great cause. I know with the economy in its current state, it's hard to ask you all to consider this event, but the importance of striving towards ending childhood hunger in America and supporting this mission hopefully resonates more.

From the data given at the last meeting, we a bit short on auction items and sponsorship so if anyone has suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Taste of the Nation ticket site

Taste of the Nation

Washington, DC

March 30, 2009

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium

1301 Constitution Ave. NW

Washington, DC 20004

Goodeats is being typically modest -- this is going to be a FANTASTIC event! If you have gone in the past, you will not want to miss it this year as the event is going to be more intimate and of a higher quality than in years past. The smaller venue means more thought went into getting the very best restaurants, bartenders, products involved. And the cause is more needy now than ever.

Goodeats is being typically modest -- this is going to be a FANTASTIC event! If you have gone in the past, you will not want to miss it this year as the event is going to be more intimate and of a higher quality than in years past. The smaller venue means more thought went into getting the very best restaurants, bartenders, products involved. And the cause is more needy now than ever.

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

Who Are We?

Share Our Strength's Taste of the Nation® is the nation's premier culinary benefit, featuring top chefs and mixologists -- all of whom are coming together to donate their time, talent and passion to end childhood hunger in America.

Taste of the Nation DC Online

2009 Restaurants

1789 Restaurant * Acadiana * Aria Trattoria * Art and Soul * Bebo Trattoria * Artisan Confections * Belga Cafe * Best Buns Bread Company * Bistro Bis * BLT Steak * Bourbon Steak * Brasserie Beck * Cafe Atlantico * The Capital Grill * Carla Hall, Top Chef Finalist for Share Our Strengths Operation Front Line * Carlyle * Central * Charlie Palmer Steak * Co Co. Sala * CommonWealth * Cork * Dino * Enology * Farrah Olivia * Founding Farmers * Georgetown Cupcake * The Gibson * Hanks Oyster Bar * Hook * Indique Heights * Kaz Sushi Bistro * Kinkeads * Lebanese Taverna * Marcels * Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar * Mio * Oceanaire * The Oval Room * OYA * PassionFish * Poste Brasserie * Proof * PS 7s PX * Restaurant 3 * Restaurant Eve * Restaurant Nora * Ronald Reagon Building * The Source * Taberna del Alabardero * Teatro Goldoni * Vermilion * Vidalia * Vinoteca * Veritas * VOLT * Westend Bistro *

Come together for an evening of fine dining and fundraising. Through our community's combined effort, we can raise the critical funds needed to end childhood hunger throughout Washington, DC.

General Admission 7-10pm $85 Buy Now!

VIP Admission + VIP HOUR 6-10pm $150 Buy Now!

What To Look Forward To:

Join us for an evening of fine dining and fundraising with Washington, DC's finest restaurants, wine bars and mixologists, and help raise funds critical to ending childhood hunger in D.C. and across the country! On Monday, March 30th more than 40 of the city's finest restaurants and chefs, including James Beard award winning Chef Chair RJ Cooper, will participate in this gastronomic event, which is being held at the historic Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium.

This year's VIP section will launch its first interactive feature, as Chef RJ Cooper and Chef Kaz Okochi lead hands-on demonstrations with VIP guests while top mixologists create innovative cocktails. Guests will also have the opportunity to sample sweet treats throughout the night from D.C.'s finest pastry chefs in the new VIP Dessert Den.

VIP guests will have the rare opportunity to mingle with notable D.C. chefs who will be honored for their long-standing dedication to the local community and Share Our Strength. This year's honorees are: Jeffrey Buben, Roberto Donna, Bob Kinkead, Ris Lacoste, Kaz Okochi, Michel Richard, Jeff Tunks & Robert Wiedmaier.

Complete with fabulous live and silent auctions, and hosts Amanda McClements of Metrocurean and Nycci Nellis of The List Are You On It, this culinary celebration is sure to be a night to remember.

Local Beneficiaries include:

Capital Area Food Bank - DC Hunger Solutions - Mary's Center

For Sponsorship Opportunities and Additional Information,

Contact Vered Uziel vuziel@strength.org.

2009 Taste of the Nation Sponsors

Forward email

This email was sent to rjcooper@vidaliadc.com by dctaste@gmail.com.

Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy. Email Marketing by

Share our Strength | 1730 M Street | Suite 700 | Washington | DC | 20036

In addition to Chef RJ, who has also put in many hours for this event, and our familiar mixologists of Derek, Gina, and Justin (and others), Carla Hall will also be there on behalf of Operation Frontline, another SOS program. So...HooTie Hoo yourself there!

This looks like another great Taste of the Nation event - I'm planning to attend. Who else is going?

Thinking about it...

Am not sure how this was missed, but sounds like a HH to me!

Visit Corduroy during the month of March to sip on the Taste of the Nation cocktail. Proceeds raised from this cocktail will be donated to Taste of the Nation Washington DC!

Okay Rockheads!!!!!! Taste of the Nation is just a few short days away!!!!!!!!! Yeah Yeah I know solicitation blah blah blah.

But anyway there are some kick 'n' auction items up for grabs this year and tickets are getting limited!!!!!!!

Live Auction items:

1) a kick ass cocktail party for twenty people by my friend Tony Abou-Ganim for modern mixologist and canapes by some dude from vidalia

2) a rockstar bus for the night going to 7 restaurants that are owned by our honorary chefs.........im in and the buss will be filled with booz!!!!!!!!! (sorry don paris is out)

3) a trip to mexico

4) a day drinking wine with Pierre Rovani at ur house with food from some dude

5) A cupcake class with Heather Chittum

I figured this out in my little mind!!!!!!! there are 40 restaurants plus dessert stations booz being mixed by top mixologist and 15 different wines it comes to be 1.25 a course and like .75 cents to drink thats a huge kick ass tasting menu!!!!!

you cant eat cheaper in a night with this much going on!!!!!!

peace!!!!!!!

my psa is over ty

Live Auction items:

1) a kick ass cocktail party for twenty people by my friend Tony Abou-Ganim for modern mixologist and canapes by some dude from vidalia

2) a rockstar bus for the night going to 7 restaurants that are owned by our honorary chefs.........im in and the buss will be filled with booz!!!!!!!!! (sorry don paris is out)

3) a trip to mexico

4) a day drinking wine with Pierre Rovani at ur house with food from some dude

5) A cupcake class with Heather Chittum

6) dinner with DonRocks! :rolleyes:

This is a great cause and a great event every year. I had to miss last year because I was out of town, but I'll be there Monday the minute they open the doors for the VIP ticket holders.

You guys just make sure someone bids for me - I have these visions of EVERY SINGLE ITEM going over high estimate, and mine left untouched.

I have these visions...mine left untouched.

Do you really think that this one day will be any different?

Maybe if you spent less time editing others' posts? Just saying...

6) dinner with DonRocks! :rolleyes:
meh. been there. He just sits there and talks about Jerzi Grotowski the entire time. It's two hours that are hard to get back.

Is there somewhere convenient to park nearby? (parking in the Reagan Building is not really "convenient.")

Thanks, nice tool to find parking, but it highlights what I expected - nothing close but the Reagan Building. Street parking isn't really an option for 6:00 opening.

Thanks, nice tool to find parking, but it highlights what I expected - nothing close but the Reagan Building. Street parking isn't really an option for 6:00 opening.
Maybe you can find something up on Madison Drive by the Mall and walk the block over to the Mellon Building. Otherwise, Metro is the best/easiest option for the 6:00 start. My car is staying at the office tonight for that very reason.

See you there!

The Reagan building is not that far, depending on which exit you take. The Mellon Auditorium web site has that as its recommended parking garage.

A big congratulations to EVERYONE involved in last night's Taste of the Nation - I'd say the event was a huge success!

The turnout was tremendous (which made it a little tricky maneuvering from station to station), the venue was lovely, and the food and drink were plentiful and delicious.

Was is just me, or was 'tartare' a strong theme.... many variations were being offered! The dessert table overflowed with cupcakes from several different purveyors. So many goodies to try...

I hate to even touch on the beverages because I don't want to leave anyone out - DC's finest craft bartenders were out in force (and coconut water was a mini theme in a few of their drinks). Lots of creativity flowing!

I didn't get to see Carla Hall (kept getting sidetracked every time I headed out to track her down), but I (and a few others) did have a very pleasant conversation with Chef Art Smith - what a nice guy :rolleyes:

The silent and live auction items were varied and interesting - and all sold. DonRocks didn't even have to worry...dinner with him was bid on (many times) and went for quite a fine price.

A great event for a great cause - glad I could be a part of it.

Yes - Taste of the Nation was indeed a fun event and for a great cause. I too enjoyed meeting chef Art Smith at this event. I have posted some pictures of the event on my blog - www.chefvinod.typepad.com. Check it out.....

Cheers!

Vinod