www.bryanvoltaggio.com

I have never been to Volt, I keep saying it is on my list.  I did try once when I was in Frederick for the day and they were closed for a private party.  I am not a fan of Range, I have been there twice and very underwhelmed both times in service, and price for value.  I can say that I do like Family Meal, having been there about a half dozen times the most recent on a weeknight about a month ago when I had to run an errand out there.  The service there was really great at Family Meal with a young, fun, enthusiastic staff.  I realize these three places are very different and the only thing in common is that Brian Voltagio owns all three places.

I don't think he comes in very much to FM.  The night I most recently went in was a night that Top Chef Masters was on and at 10pm when the show started it was not even playing on any of the tv's.

Don - I know I got off topic but don't think we have a Brian Voltagio thread.

I have never been to Volt, I keep saying it is on my list.  I did try once when I was in Frederick for the day and they were closed for a private party.  I am not a fan of Range, I have been there twice and very underwhelmed both times in service, and price for value.  I can say that I do like Family Meal, having been there about a half dozen times the most recent on a weeknight about a month ago when I had to run an errand out there.  The service there was really great at Family Meal with a young, fun, enthusiastic staff.  I realize these three places are very different and the only thing in common is that Brian Voltagio owns all three places.

I don't think he comes in very much to FM.  The night I most recently went in was a night that Top Chef Masters was on and at 10pm when the show started it was not even playing on any of the tv's.

Don - I know I got off topic but don't think we have a Brian Voltagio thread.

Think you're right about us not having a BV thread though not sure it'd be popular enough to justify it. Maybe?  I wonder if BV spends most of his time now at Range?  I haven't yet been there; just to Volt twice and Lunchbox once.  He wasn't at Volt Saturday night.  Maybe Range gets most of his time; maybe television or future business plans; not sure.  My one Voltaggio experience that really thrilled me was his brother's sandwich shop in LA. Really enjoyed Ink and though it totally fulfilled what it's intended to be.

Will say this though. While the general correlation of spreading empires and declining quality holds, there are exceptions. While I'm not sure that BV is an exception, I do think a few others are.  Maybe Starr being one example.  Growing a restaurant business to multiple locations and cities requires a whole different set of skills than running one location or cooking very well. No wonder it's so very hard to do.

Think you're right about us not having a BV thread though not sure it'd be popular enough to justify it. Maybe?  I wonder if BV spends most of his time now at Range?  I haven't yet been there; just to Volt twice and Lunchbox once.  He wasn't at Volt Saturday night.  Maybe Range gets most of his time; maybe television or future business plans; not sure.  My one Voltaggio experience that really thrilled me was his brother's sandwich shop in LA. Really enjoyed Ink and though it totally fulfilled what it's intended to be.

Will say this though. While the general correlation of spreading empires and declining quality holds, there are exceptions. While I'm not sure that BV is an exception, I do think a few others are.  Maybe Starr being one example.  Growing a restaurant business to multiple locations and cities requires a whole different set of skills than running one location or cooking very well. No wonder it's so very hard to do.

We have a Great American Restaurant Group thread, so there's no reason we shouldn't have a Volt Ink (yes, that's what it's called) thread.

We have a Great American Restaurant Group thread, so there's no reason we shouldn't have a Volt Ink (yes, that's what it's called) thread.

Correction: Other than the name of the cookbook, there *is* no VOLT INK. Bryan's restaurant is VOLT; Michaels is INK, hence the name of the cookbook. The company that Bryan and Hilda Staples run is presented to the public as www.bryanvoltaggio.com.

FWIW, the Top Chef stuff was happening at Volt (which may go to your point). Not sure why they wouldn't at least have it on at Family Meal though.

I assumed BV spent most of his time at Volt as opposed to Range.  I am a longtime fan of his cooking and after watching him on "Top Chef Masters" I was impressed once again.  The editors seemed to really focus on his laugh, which surprised me.  When I've seen him cooking (in a restaurant as opposed to on TV) he is very intense. I'm hoping to get back to Volt sometime soon, as its been far too long since my last visit.  I burned out on Range, going four times in the first two months, and now I can't seem to get motivated to go back.