A la Lucia, Chef Michael Nayeri's Italian on 315 Madison Street in Old Town Alexandria

For those who may be missing Roberto Donna's cooking:

A la Lucia is going to be hosting a Piedmont Style Dinner and Wine Pairing with Guest Chef Roberto Donna, Wednesday November 16. Apparently, it's the first of a series that will take place over the winter. See the restaurant's Facebook page for more details - menu is forthcoming.

Here's the menu/details:

BUDINO

Parmesan Cheese Pudding topped with Burrata (Fresh Double Cream Mozzarella), Porcini Mushrooms and White Truffle

PAPPARDELLE

(Large Homemade Poppy Seed Noodle) tossed in a Duck Ragu served over a Carabaccia Squash Cream

dusted with Bitter Cocoa Powder

RISOTTO

Aquarello Carnaroli Rice Mantecato with Robiola Cheese and topped with Stewed Leeks and Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder

VITELLO

Slivers of Roasted Leg of Veal over Artichoke Puree, Bagna Cauda infuse Red Beets, and Hazelnut Sauce

COPPA DOLCE

Mascarpone Rum Mousse with Chocolate Ice Cream topped with warm Espresso Zabaglione

5 Course Dinner Menu- $75 per person

Available Wine Pairing- $30 per person

This is one of my favorite restaurants. In fact, we ate there last night. Meatballs in polenta, endive salad, chicken parmesan, seafood with black squid ink pasta. Everything wonderful including the foccacia bread they serve and the complimentary bruschetta. The wine selection is good and not a ripoff.

I don't know why I don't eat here more often. I absolutely love the fresh pasta. Had the black linguine with clams, shrimp, and scallops in a spicy sauce last weekend. Great flavor on the sauce with a light red pepper kick. Very tender seafood. But the pasta rules. Just enough weight and chew to the noodle. Sopped up the sauce with the tasty focaccia. Wines by the bottle may be okay, but I knew I was going by the glass the other night. And the wine by the glass selection is unimpressive. Oh, but that pasta....

For whatever reason, I stopped going to A La Lucia.  Thanks to Alexandria Restaurant Week and the fact that most of the interesting Alexandria restaurants were already booked, we went there again.  Their RW menu was extensive with lots of choices. I immediately locked eyes on the eggplant involtini appetizer.  That was the hit of the night!  We also enjoyed the black linguini with seafood although it wasn't as good as I remembered.  The clams, shrimp, and scallops tasted great but the dish was a bit bland.  My husband said a few salt shakes improved it 100%.  Next time I'll try something else and there will be a next time as RW did what it was intended to do - convert me into a regular customer.

• Like 1