Is there still a Cleveland Park Day, or festival, or whatever?  Doesn't seem like it based on a cursory search.  If not, what happened?

Per the CP Listserve:

To Our Cleveland Park Neighbors:
First things first: Nanny O’Briens is not closing its doors!

With our 25th anniversary just over the horizon in April 2018, we plan to continue operating on the Connecticut Avenue strip we’ve called home since 1993 with the same great burgers and pub food, large craft beer selection (and, of course, pints of Guinness), fun kids menu, and friendly service you expect from your neighborhood tavern.

However, things have been tough here. Over the past few years—and, in particular the past few months—as the face of Cleveland Park has changed and competition throughout DC has grown, foot traffic has gone down while the cost of rent, goods and labor have increased. This beloved neighborhood institution—owned by three Cleveland Park natives—is struggling to break even on some months.

We are now looking to you, our neighbors and friends, for support.

Starting at 12 noon this Thursday, August 31st, we will be offering a Thursday Neighborhood Discount of 20% off the bill for all our patrons who live in the 20008 and 20016 zip codes.

Now in the spirit of a rising tide lifting all boats, we reached out to our neighbors who will be running their own Thursday specials, including:

· Atomic Billiards will offer half priced pool with a purchase all night long and $5 draft beers from 8pm til close

· Spices Asian Restaurant will have $3.95 small plates and select sushi dishes, as well as half off their cocktail menu and beer

· Cleveland Park Bar & Grill will offer half priced wings from 5pm til midnight, as well as a new late night food, beer, and liquor happy hour after 10 pm on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays

· Fat Pete’s Barbecue will continue their select $3 draft beers at the bar from open til close

We are all united in trying to make Thursday a sort of weekly Cleveland Park day, a celebration of the neighborhood we call home. We hope that by offering these specials it will inspire the community to show its support for us at Nanny’s and our fellow local, small businesses.

Thank you for your continued support and we hope to see you all soon—and often!

Curt Large, Nanny O’Briens owner
Michael Johnstone, Nanny O’Briens General Manager

P.S. Please keep an eye out on our website (www.nannyobriens.com http://www.nannyobriens.com) Facebook page (www.facebook.com/nannyobriens http://www.facebook.com/nannyobriens), Twitter (@NannyOBriens) , and the Cleveland Park Listserv for updated daily and weekly specials.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tweaked said:

Per the CP Listserve:

With our 25th anniversary just over the horizon in April 2018, we plan to continue operating on the Connecticut Avenue strip we’ve called home since 1993 with the same great burgers and pub food, large craft beer selection (and, of course, pints of Guinness), fun kids menu, and friendly service you expect from your neighborhood tavern.

However, things have been tough here. Over the past few years—and, in particular the past few months—as the face of Cleveland Park has changed and competition throughout DC has grown, foot traffic has gone down while the cost of rent, goods and labor have increased. This beloved neighborhood institution—owned by three Cleveland Park natives—is struggling to break even on some months.

We are now looking to you, our neighbors and friends, for support.

Starting at 12 noon this Thursday, August 31st, we will be offering a Thursday Neighborhood Discount of 20% off the bill for all our patrons who live in the 20008 and 20016 zip codes.

Now in the spirit of a rising tide lifting all boats, we reached out to our neighbors who will be running their own Thursday specials, including:

· Atomic Billiards will offer half priced pool with a purchase all night long and $5 draft beers from 8pm til close

· Spices Asian Restaurant will have $3.95 small plates and select sushi dishes, as well as half off their cocktail menu and beer

· Cleveland Park Bar & Grill will offer half priced wings from 5pm til midnight, as well as a new late night food, beer, and liquor happy hour after 10 pm on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays

· Fat Pete’s Barbecue will continue their select $3 draft beers at the bar from open til close

We are all united in trying to make Thursday a sort of weekly Cleveland Park day, a celebration of the neighborhood we call home. We hope that by offering these specials it will inspire the community to show its support for us at Nanny’s and our fellow local, small businesses.

Long time ago there was a differently named and owned Irish bar where Nanny O'Brien's sits.  Recall it fondly, though not the name.  I invested a lot of money in beer and burgers there.

The above is a stark statement of the current reality and an effort to overcome it.  I've seen other restaurants reach out to locals in their zips with discounts to try and boost sales.

It is tough out there.  Best of luck to the current restaurants in Cleveland Park and elsewhere.   The somewhat "tougher part of the equation" is that as neighborhoods such as Cleveland Park lose customers to 14th Street, U Street et al, they need to attract the residents of other restaurant neighborhoods in the Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenue neighborhoods through promos such as the above.  So those restaurants further up Conn Ave and along Wisconsin take some hits.   Lots of restaurants, not enough customers to go around. 

12 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Long time ago there was a differently named and owned Irish bar where Nanny O'Brien's sits.  Recall it fondly, though not the name.  I invested a lot of money in beer and burgers there.

I used to go there, too.

GallaghersPub.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveO said:

Gallagher's Pub (home to a young Mary Chapin Carpenter open mike night).  Ghosts of DC with the story of 3319 Connecticut Avenue, NW

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcs said:

I used to go there, too.

GallaghersPub.jpg

3 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Gallagher's Pub (home to a young Mary Chapin Carpenter open mike night).  Ghosts of DC with the story of 3319 Connecticut Avenue, NW

Ahhh Gallagher's....What a picture.  what memories.   I had a crush on a bartender as did a friend of mine.  We both struck out with her.  ....my gut is she made big bucks on our tips.  ;)

fond memories....and another memory.  I was there with a lady and she was drinking irish coffees.  Evidently too many.  As the night moved on I had the sense of being with "the two faces of Eve".  she was alternately drowsy from the liquor and overly perky from the coffee.   Quite weird.

8 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

I wonder if Mandarin Taste was any good?

Don't recall it being there.  I believe I hung out at Gallagher's around the late 70's early 80's time period.

18 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Per the CP Listserve:

Curt Large, Nanny O’Briens owner
Michael Johnstone, Nanny O’Briens General Manager

The options in that neighborhood used to be so damn good. It's so damn sad. Funny, I am part of the problem I guess in that I dine either further up Connecticut Avenue (Macon Bistro) or in other parts DC (Mirabelle when I am feeling flush for obvious reasons that readers of my posts know too well, still more all over).

As a longtime CP resident, here are some local tips for anyone to come to the neighborhood:

1. Parking is tough but not too bad if you don't mind a small walk (similar to what I do when I visit 14th St).  If you don't find a spot on your first pass, go one block north of Porter on CT Ave and turn left on Rodman St and head up a not steep hill.  After a block (after the Quebec St left turn), Melvin Hazen Park is on the right and the houses on the left have parking in the back. You can find a spot here 90% of the time and it'll only take you 5-10 minutes to walk back to CT. The spots next to the park don't even have time restrictions if you go far enough up toward Reno.  (as mentioned above you can also park down Porter st toward Rock Creek but then you have a hill to hike up).

2. Bindaas - make a reservation several days in advance and enjoy. Almost everything is very good.

3. Ardeo  - neighborhood sleeper still churning out great food and they have a small roof deck for nice weather.

4. Medium Rare - you know the deal, it is a good, not too pricey dinner. If you don't like your first serving, I usually find the seconds to be better.

5. Vace - still the best non-Neapolitan pizza in DC. If you like onions, the white with onions will not disappoint. Also the freezer cases with tortellini are pretty good. And they have great homemade mozzarella behind the counter. And a bunch of other goodies.

6. Dolan - try the Mom's Lagman - really good handmade chewy noodles. a bit different than you find elsewhere. Stick with the noodle dishes.

7. Indique - is really good indian food. Very nice service and nice atmosphere. Nice enough for a date or evening out but not too expensive. I especially like the biryanis and samosa chaat. They also have a great brunch on weekends. 

8. Spices - Big Duck and Shaky Beef - solid dishes. Ginger salad is good too. Skip the sushi.

The above are worth a trip - not for once in a lifetime Michelin cooking - but for solid food at good prices.  Here are some other comments if you happen to be nearby:

9. Fresh Med - pretty good baklava

10. Firehook  - yes it has other locations with really fudgy brownies, good cakes and cookies - but CP has the great hidden aroma garden in the back.

11. Siam House  - get the Pad Eggplant - my fave. We often get carryout but the dishes are better when you eat in (less steaming in carryout containers).

Plus a bunch of other quick food options on your way to the Uptown, Zoo, shul, etc. (California Tortilla - fish tacos or honey lime burrito are what I get, Chipotle, Fat Pete's, etc.)

And that is just Connecticut Ave. On Wisconsin, I'd recommend:

12. Raku - this place rocks. Really good sushi - (check out the special menu with fish flown in from Tsukiji) - I think the nigiri here is the way to go over other places which emphasize creative maki rolls. I also love the Tokyo dashi soup, agedashi tofu (their has extra vegetables than usual which are great), for the picky eaters the Chicken entrée with essentially pad thai on the side is excellent), and the bento boxes are good and huge - the veggie bento is really great too.

13. 2 Amys  - still amazing Neapolitan pizza and don't forget all the other goodies on the menu. I often like the seasonal pizzas, great crostini, get the lamb skewers when they have them, and always good are the salt cod croquettes. Roasted olives and peppers and anchovies are also good. Donuts on the weekends and ice cream all the time are delish.

14. Barcelona - I've only been once, but really liked it. Plan to go again soon.   

So don't worry - CP is doing ok and you should come eat some of our good food. It continues to evolve. Fat Pete's was an empty old mcdonalds for years and now is a thriving ok place. Ripple was originally a lackluster shoe store for years. We'll see what comes their next.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I wonder why that Nanny O'Brien's special is not good for the 20010 zip code of Mt. Pleasant. It's a short walk, 1 bus stop, or drive from my house on the east side of the park. I confess I hardly ever think about going to Cleveland Park to eat, even though it's closer than many other mediocre places in Columbia Heights. I guess I'm part of the problem. 

On 7/24/2020 at 6:00 PM, saf said:

I hope whoever goes in there keeps that patio. I have always loved that space.

Something is wrong with that neighborhood. What are the landlords thinking? During a pandemic, is rent gouging really a strategy? This is the neighborhood that couldn't even support a McDonald;'s , despite the large number of subsidized residents. 

What I hated the most about working on that creepy little strip of Connecticut Avenue was all the $%$&*&* baby strollers.  It was Pram Jam all day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The city has closed the CP service lane and made it for pedestrians. Hopefully they keep it that way and make it a more people friendly space.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

The city has closed the CP service lane and made it for pedestrians. Hopefully they keep it that way and make it a more people friendly space.

Agreed, but boy was it useful for parking at Palena (has it really been *six* years?)

On 7/30/2020 at 12:32 PM, Tweaked said:

Not sure what will happen in the long run, but this is also become a big help to the restaurants there as Al Volo (good pasta and other Italian) now has outdoor dining, and Bindaas and Sababa has outdoor dining too. They both setup nice tables in the service lane that are appropriately distanced and one or both have a tent or umbrellas (can't recall) for shade. Medium Rare always had outdoor seating but now has a tent up for shade too. Tino's Pizza (which is rather good) has expanded its outdoor seating including setting up some outdoor movie nights on the weekends on a small screen under the Uptown outdoor awning/marquee.  Most of the rest of the restaurants in CP are churning along but hurting like the rest of the industry. We are still supporting through regular pizza and Italian delights from Vace, Tino's Pizza, Dolan (still love the noodles), Siam House (solid thai), etc.  We did recently lose Coppi's (sad to see a business close after 6 years, but the food was drek IMHO so no big loss for me) and Firehook. Firehook leaving is very sad because it was there for over 2 decdades churned out great cookies, cakes, cinnamon rolls, fudgy brownies, etc. and we'll miss the lovely Roma patio in the back.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, Mark Slater said:

What I hated the most about working on that creepy little strip of Connecticut Avenue was all the $%$&*&* baby strollers.  It was Pram Jam all day. 

What can I say, lots of us in CP like to procreate - when I was pushing strollers back in the day it wasn't exactly ...

• Like 2