dr.com 2nd Annual Spring Picnic

hillvalley

What are the hours again...too lazy to look them up.

I have a footie match from 12:30 to 2:30...so probably earliest I can be there is 3pm.

I'll BYOB since I'm sure everyone will be stuffed by then  :)

We have the space from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, off to a great start!!! To get a rough head count, here’s a list so far of those who have said that June 4th would work for them. If you’re on the list, feel free to PM me to add or subtract. Who else???

Al Dente

Banco

Barbara

Bbq4me +1

Clayrae

Crackers +1

CrescentFresh +3

Ctay122 +1

Cucas87

Daniel K +2

Demvtr

Drive-by-Critic

Eating out +1

Edstaut

Escoffier

Ferhat Yalcin

Goldenticket +1

Grover

Gubeen

Hannah

Heather

Hillvalley

Holdtheline

Jacques Gastreaux + 3

Jjl + 1.5

JParrott

JPW

LaShanta

MBK

Mdt

MelGold

Mktye

Monica Bhide

Ol_ironstomach

PandaHugga

Porcupine

RaisaB

ScottJohnson +1

Shogun

Squidsdc

Starfish

StephenB

Tweaked

Zoramargolis

Here's a list of helpful (I hope) hints for those who are DR.com picnic newbies:

DO come to the picnic even if you don't cook. Goodies picked up from your favorite bakery/cheese shop/restaurant/wine shop are perfectly fine. An appetite is all that is required.

DON’T think you have to make something fancy if you are cooking. Keep in mind that your dish will need to sit out at room temperature for at least an hour or two and that it will be eaten in a picnic setting.

DO consider other non-food options if you don’t want to cook anything. One member brought a soccer set to the last picnic and it was a big hit with the kids. Beverages (adult and otherwise) are also greatly appreciated.

DON’T make tons and tons of food. Ten to twelve servings is plenty. Really. There will be a lot of food to taste and most everyone will only want a bite or two of any one item.

DO try to remember to bring appropriate prep and serving utensils for whatever food you bring.

DON’T feel you need to present your food in your best crystal, silver and/or china. In fact, if you don't plan on staying all afternoon, disposable serving containers are preferable.

DO put your name on any items you are concerned might get lost or left behind (a piece of masking tape with your name written on it with waterproof ink works great for this).

DON’T worry about having to cook dinner that night or possibly even the next day – there will be baggies/plastic wrap for those who want to take home leftovers. (Supplying the baggies/plastic wrap is currently up for dibs and is an excellent contribution for someone not wanting to bring food. So whoever calls it first…)

DO show up on time if you want to partake in some of the more popular food/drink items -- such as the martian pigslop from hell and the jello molds.

DON’T even think about not showing up just because you are running late. Come anyway. I suspect we’ll be there until they kick us out of the park.

DO bring your families. Children are very welcome.

DON’T bring your pets.

DO come even if your dog ate your lovingly prepared dish in a fit of vengeance because it could not attend the picnic and you have to make a last minute change to what you said you’d be bringing.

DON’T eat a large breakfast beforehand. Once again, there will be a lot of food.

(A big "Thank You" to crackers for her help in putting this list together! :) )

(Supplying the baggies/plastic wrap is currently up for dibs and is an excellent contribution for someone not wanting to bring food. So whoever calls it first…)

I think there may be baggies and plastic wrap in the "big black plastic trash bag full of leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics." I'll check.

It is time to start planning our annual spring picnic.  Our spring picnic last year was a complete success and it is time for a repeat.  The first and most difficult step is finding a date that is the most convienent for  as many members as possible.  Here are the options:

Saturday, May 20th

Sunday, May 21st

Sunday, June 4th

These dates avoid Mother's day, Memorial day and Father's day.

Vote away....

I vote for Sunday, May 21.

But I can make it if we choose June 4. How exciting!!! My first DR picnic AND an excuse to bake something!! Wooo HOOOOOO!!!!! :)

LaShanta

I vote for Sunday, May 21.

But I can make it if we choose June 4.  How exciting!!! My first DR picnic AND an excuse to bake something!! Wooo HOOOOOO!!!!!  :)

LaShanta

Look forward to meeting you on the 4th, LaShanta!

I just looked at the list of who is coming so far and at least 13 people on that list were not at the picnic in the fall so the whole "I won't know anyone and I haven't been to one before" excuse doesn't work.

In fact, there are a number of members who were sucked further in to the DonRockwell.com vortex after attending a picnic so consider yourself warned :)

Also, if you aren't an adult beverage drinker please don't let that keep you from joining us either. You may not be in the majority but you won't be the only one.

Also, if you aren't an adult beverage drinker please don't let that keep you from joining us either.  You may not be in the majority but you won't be the only one.

I am more of a non-adult beverage drinker (although I draw the line at juice boxes) and it really is a non-issue at the picnics. The martian pig slop from hell is purely voluntary. B)
yeah what mktye said...I'm showing up late and bringing a 6 pack of beer...anyone can be that dare I say creative  :angry:
What? You're not bringing anything to share? :)
Just his brilliant personality. :angry:

But seriously, if you are coming later in the day, beverages (of any kind) are a great contribution. At the last picnic both, Tweaked and starfish arrived later on bearing libations and they were quite well received.

Add me to the picnic list. As for what I'll bring, it's a bit up in the air. Maybe some kind of pasta or chicken salad.... maybe with some or all of: anchovies, toasted pine nuts, currants/raisins, green onions, olives, mint, and lemon or orange zest. On the other hand, maybe gravlax (so refreshing). Yeah, I guess I need to think about this a bit. Stay tuned.

One member brought a soccer set to the last picnic and it was a big hit with the kids.

That was me, and I'll be bringing the soccer goals, ball, and jerseys again.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it until around 3:30 due to a Little League game, so instead of food I'll be bringing (as last time) some imported Scottish beverages...

I`ll have some cigars with me I just dont know how many.

for the soccer I think we should arrange an adult soccer game since we gonna have alot of cheerleaders.

whoever wins eats most of the food and whoever loses get to clean up everything.

Im serious we need a game for adults...

We will probably be there later in the day (me, spouse and 3 year old). Will bring wine or beer as well as some sort of non-alcoholic drink. Will bring either smoked baked beans or cole slaw.

hillvalley asked me to once again help keep track of who is bringing what so we don’t end up too much of one type of food. So here is a preliminary list based on what has been posted so far:

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- smoked pork shoulder with Eastern North Carolina-style BBQ sauce

eating out -- grandma's famous Hot Salami's

clayrae -- turkey tonnato (roasted turkey breast with tuna sauce)

Sides/Salads:

Jacques Gastreaux -- roasted potato salad

porcupine -- roasted vegetable and couscous salad (vegetarian, but not vegan)

Al Dente -- gazpacho

Heather -- a salad (maybe)

MelGold -- her famous (and beautiful) mango mold

cucas87 -- some kind of pasta or chicken salad

jjl -- smoked baked beans or cole slaw

legant -- toasted pita bread salad

Desserts:

Heather -- Scott's chocolate chip cookies

MelGold -- cookies of some sort

Barbara -- cheesecake

ScottJohnson -- kid-friendly jello cubes

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

hillvalley -- salmon mousse

Escoffier & Grover -- kibim bap (Korean sushi)

shogun -- pork rillettes, pissaladier, and/or a dreamy chicken salad

StephenB -- not-yet-famous deviled eggs with caviar

ScottJohnson -- deviled eggs, homemade pickles

crackers -- petits rouleaux d'aubergine farcis and oignon rouge et rhubarbe mini-tartelettes

starfish -- random bottles of wine

Jacques Gastreaux -- martian pig slop from hell

Heather -- juice boxes for the kids

Tweaked -- beer

DanielK -- imported Scottish beverages

jjl – beverages (wine or beer and non-alcoholic)

Barbara -- wine and "Fancy Pants"

eating out -- beer

DanielK -- soccer goals, ball, and jerseys for the kids

zoramargolis -- lavender

Ferhat Yalcin -- cigars and the urge to play soccer

ol ironstomach -- a medium 2-burner camp stove and at least one or two butane cassette burners

Jacques Gastreaux -- cigars (3 or 4), folding chairs (1 or 2) and the big black plastic trash bag filled with all of the leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics*

Bringing a dish to be named later:

zoramargolis

ol ironstomach

Monica Bhide

mdt

LaShanta (something baked)

bbq4me (some type of twisted old school Chamorro food)

holdtheline

goldenticket

*Once we do an inventory on the contents of the big black bag filled with the leftover paper and plastic goods, we'll post any deficiencies so those who plan on bringing that sort of thing can know what is needed.

Please feel free to PM me corrections, re-categorizations, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors, picnic food-related questions or if you are just too shy to post what you plan to bring. :)

Here is the latest list based on what has been posted/PM'd so far:

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- smoked pork shoulder with Eastern North Carolina-style BBQ sauce

eating out -- grandma's famous hot salami's

Demvtr -- a big array of prepared/flavored tofu

jparrot -- smoked country ham

Sides/Salads:

Al Dente -- gazpacho

Desserts:

Barbara -- cheesecake

Ferhat Yalcin -- cookies, possibly citrus-flavored

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

Escoffier & Grover -- kim bap (Korean sushi)

crackers -- petits rouleaux d'aubergine farcis and oignon rouge et rhubarbe mini-tartelettes

shogun -- pork rillettes and/or pissaladier and/or a dreamy chicken salad and/or onigiri

ctay122 -- tarts (heirloom tomato tart, another onion, and one a surprise)

Tweaked -- beer

eating out -- beer

jparrot -- wine

Daniel K -- some napkins and paper towels

zoramargolis -- lavender

ol ironstomach -- a medium 2-burner camp stove and at least one or two butane cassette burners

Jacques Gastreaux -- cigars (3 or 4), folding chairs (1 or 2) and the big black plastic trash bag filled with all of the leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics*

zoramargolis

ol ironstomach

Monica Bhide

mdt

holdtheline

goldenticket

*Once we do an inventory on the contents of the big black bag filled with the leftover paper and plastic goods, we'll post any deficiencies so those who plan on bringing that sort of thing can know what is needed.

Please feel free to PM me corrections, re-categorizations, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors, picnic food-related questions or if you are just too shy to post what you plan to bring. :)

Michael and I will be there. I plan on making 2-3 tarts....an heirloom tomato tart, another onion, and one surprise one since I can't decide. Or better yet, I might make minis of the 3 different kinds, that would probably be the easiest. This sounds like fun!

I'll bring a big array of prepared/flavored tofu from Whole Foods.  (We have one of those oven things in our apartment, but I don't know how it works.)

hmmm... haven't you heard of the raw food movement? no oven required. in fact i am fairly convinced that the movement was started by someone in New York or London who needed more storage space. :)

you should bring raw veggies and other yummy stuff to take away from the guilty stuff we'll be eating. You aren't a total vegan are you? dairy and eggs are okay?

crackers was kind enough to inventory our current supply of picnic paper goods and we are lacking the following:

Heavy Duty, Large Paper Plates (~200 total)

Forks (we do have some, need about 3-4 dozen)

Paper Napkins (lots!)

Bowls (~120)

Plastic Wrap for any leftovers

Large Garbage Bags

Cups (~16 oz., need around 120)

Paper Table Cloths (need 10 and we will need these *early* in the day)

Paper Towels (3-4 rolls)

Hand Sanitizer (there is no running water nearby)

Some of these amounts are a lot to buy, so they can certainly be split between two or three or four people. :)

So if you are looking for a non-food/drink contribution to bring to the picnic and would like to claim responsibility for one of the above, please post or PM me.

And here is the master latest list based on what has been posted/PM'd so far:

Meats/Mains:

eating out -- grandma's famous hot salami's

Demvtr -- a big array of prepared/flavored tofu

jparrot -- smoked country ham

Sides/Salads:

Al Dente -- gazpacho

Gubeen -- som tam

Desserts:

Barbara -- cheesecake

Ferhat Yalcin -- cookies, possibly citrus-flavored

SunshineE -- pie, probably lemon meringue or apple

Walrus -- cupcakes

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

Escoffier & Grover -- kim bap (Korean sushi)

shogun -- pork rillettes and/or pissaladier and/or a dreamy chicken salad and/or onigiri

ctay122 -- tarts (heirloom tomato tart, another onion, and one a surprise)

Monica Bhide -- spiced peas in flaky pastry

Tweaked -- beer

eating out -- beer

jparrot -- wine

Daniel K -- some napkins and paper towels

zoramargolis -- lavender

zoramargolis

ol ironstomach

Monica Bhide

mdt

holdtheline

goldenticket

Tripewriter

squidsdc

Please feel free to PM me corrections, re-categorizations, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors, picnic food-related questions or if you are just too shy to post what you plan to bring. :angry:

June 4

I am going to assume that you did not read all five pages of the thread and put in your vote for date. Well you are in luck as June 4th was the selected date.

See you at the picnic.

So does that mean you are going to the picnic?

You know, I think I have a 1/2 gallon of Stolichnya floating around here someplace. The DR picnic sounds like an ideal place to foist ....oops, I mean offer it to discrminating boozers .... errr... drinkers. Shall I bring along this bottle of fine distilled spirits?

You know, I think I have a 1/2 gallon of Stolichnya floating around here someplace.  The DR picnic sounds like an ideal place to foist ....oops, I mean offer it to discrminating boozers .... errr...  drinkers.  Shall I bring along this bottle of fine distilled spirits?

I believe the park rules are just wine and beer, no hard liquor.

Which is why I am not bringing a bottle of whisky, but of malted scottish beverage.

You know, I think I have a 1/2 gallon of Stolichnya floating around here someplace.  The DR picnic sounds like an ideal place to foist ....oops, I mean offer it to discrminating boozers .... errr...  drinkers.  Shall I bring along this bottle of fine distilled spirits?

It's called potato wine.