dr.com 2nd Annual Spring Picnic

hillvalley

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll bring some kinds of desserts and cheese IF I can get to Paris and back by the 3rd. Types of both to be determined later.
Please people, don't feel you have to go to Paris to get things to bring to the picnic. But Raisa, if you insist! :)

Here is the latest list based on what has been posted/PM'd so far:

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- smoked pork shoulder with Eastern North Carolina-style BBQ sauce

eating out -- grandma's famous hot salami's

clayrae -- turkey tonnato (roasted turkey breast with tuna sauce)

Demvtr -- a big array of prepared/flavored tofu

jparrot -- smoked country ham

Sides/Salads:

Jacques Gastreaux -- roasted potato salad

porcupine -- roasted vegetable and couscous salad (vegetarian, but not vegan)

Al Dente -- gazpacho

Heather -- a salad (maybe)

MelGold -- her famous (and beautiful) mango mold

cucas87 -- some kind of pasta or chicken salad

jjl -- smoked baked beans or cole slaw

legant -- toasted pita bread salad

Desserts:

Heather -- Scott's chocolate chip cookies

MelGold -- cookies of some sort

Barbara -- cheesecake

ScottJohnson -- kid-friendly jello cubes

Ferhat Yalcin -- cookies, possibly citrus-flavored

SunshineE -- pie, probably lemon merengue or apple

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

hillvalley -- salmon mousse

Escoffier & Grover -- kim bap (Korean sushi)

StephenB -- not-yet-famous deviled eggs with caviar

ScottJohnson -- deviled eggs, homemade pickles

crackers -- petits rouleaux d'aubergine farcis and oignon rouge et rhubarbe mini-tartelettes

shogun -- pork rillettes and/or pissaladier and/or a dreamy chicken salad and/or onigiri

ctay122 -- tarts (heirloom tomato tart, another onion, and one a surprise)

starfish -- random bottles of wine

Jacques Gastreaux -- martian pig slop from hell

Heather -- juice boxes for the kids

Tweaked -- beer

DanielK -- imported Scottish beverages

jjl – beverages (wine or beer and non-alcoholic)

Barbara -- wine and "Fancy Pants"

eating out -- beer

jparrot -- wine

DanielK -- soccer goals, ball, and jerseys for the kids

Daniel K -- some napkins and paper towels

zoramargolis -- lavender

Ferhat Yalcin -- cigars and the urge to play soccer

ol ironstomach -- a medium 2-burner camp stove and at least one or two butane cassette burners

Jacques Gastreaux -- cigars (3 or 4), folding chairs (1 or 2) and the big black plastic trash bag filled with all of the leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics*

Bringing a dish to be named later:

zoramargolis

ol ironstomach

Monica Bhide

mdt

LaShanta (something baked)

bbq4me (some type of twisted old school Chamorro food)

holdtheline

goldenticket

*Once we do an inventory on the contents of the big black bag filled with the leftover paper and plastic goods, we'll post any deficiencies so those who plan on bringing that sort of thing can know what is needed.

Please feel free to PM me corrections, re-categorizations, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors, picnic food-related questions or if you are just too shy to post what you plan to bring. :)

Tripewriter and I (and his parents) will probably be there :angry: If we come we will most likely bring a desserty thing (if I'm lucky, really fabulous homemade cupcakes; if I'm not, really fabulous store-bought cupcakes :) ) and a foody thing (Tripewriter's Special of the Day).

(I can't even begin to think about what I may or may not be able to bring until I return from my trip--but I'll definitely chime in once I return on the 21st)

With one car out of commission, though, I don't know if I'll have access to the other car or not. Is anyone offering carpooling options? I may have the option to metro to a halfway point if no one is departing from the Silver Spring/Wheaton vicinity...

Is anyone offering carpooling options?
I have started a list of those needing or willing to give rides between the picnic site and the closest (King Street, Braddock Road or Huntington) metro stations. Please PM me if you are interested in adding your name to that list. :)

I will be providing my rather spicy and refreshing Som Tam. Any one want anything in particular from NYC for the picnic? I am happy to make a run to Fairway, Zabar's, Myers of Keswick as long as the products aren't too heavy. :)

I will be providing my rather spicy and refreshing Som Tam.  Any one want anything in particular from NYC for the picnic?  I am happy to make a run to Fairway, Zabar's, Myers of Keswick as long as the products aren't too heavy. :)

Will you be coming straight to the picnic from the city? If so, just bring pizzas. Lots of them. :angry:

I see a shortage of mains and proteins forthcoming. Mayonnaise-based salads, cookies-from-a-mix, and gelatinous molds should be minimized. Nobody over the age of eight likes that crap. Jacques Gastreaux's smoked pork butt should be a model for everyone.

Remember also that you don't need to bring large quantities of food. If sixty people each bring food for forty people, then that's food for 2,400 people. Last year there was an enormous amount of food that remained uneaten. Anticipating this, you guys may want to bring some "to-go" containers for yourselves. I guarantee people are going to be rolling home stuffed to the point of discomfort.

I'm not sure if anyone said it, but wings are a great picnic item; cheap, easy eatin', bones can be thrown in the grass for the birds (just kidding). That said, I'll be at the shore on the 6/4, but if I make it back I'll bring jello jigglers and Bill Cosby in spirit.

I see a shortage of mains and proteins forthcoming.  Mayonnaise-based salads, cookies-from-a-mix, and gelatinous molds should be minimized.  Nobody over the age of eight likes that crap.  Jacques Gastreaux's smoked pork butt should be a model for everyone.

Remember also that you don't need to bring large quantities of food.  If sixty people each bring food for forty people, then that's food for 2,400 people.  Last year there was an enormous amount of food that remained uneaten.  Anticipating this, you guys may want to bring some "to-go" containers for yourselves.  I guarantee people are going to be rolling home stuffed to the point of discomfort.

And you would know this exactly HOW? (Never having attended one of these gatherings.) At the last event, I had more food than I could eat and I didn't even get any of the mango mold, although my husband mentioned how wonderful it was. It is absolutely HILARIOUS to some of us that Don would dictate the no-noes and not be there to taste any of them. Gelatin molds? He scoffs. But, he has never tasted any of our offerings. He REALLY is clueless. :)

Another page, another update to the master latest list based on what has been posted/PM'd so far:

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- smoked pork shoulder with Eastern North Carolina-style BBQ sauce

mdt -- some sort of homemade sausage

agm -- pernil (Puerto Rican-style roasted pork shoulder)

LaShanta -- barbequed chicken

Sides/Salads:

Al Dente -- gazpacho

Gubeen -- som tam

Pat -- tabbouli and a couple of loaves of bread

holdtheline -- roasted corn and tomato salad

Desserts:

Barbara -- cheesecake

SunshineE -- pie, probably lemon meringue or apple

Walrus -- cupcakes

hm212 -- brownies

pidgey -- cake (?)

bnacpa -- insane brownies

LaShanta -- cupcakes

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

crackers -- petits rouleaux d'aubergine farcis and oignon rouge et rhubarbe mini-tartelettes

shogun -- pork rillettes and/or pissaladier and/or a dreamy chicken salad and/or onigiri and/or ???

Monica Bhide -- spiced peas in flaky pastry

dcfoodie -- arancini and/or crostini

Tweaked -- beer

eating out -- beer

jparrot -- wine

hm212 -- soft drinks

pidgey -- non-alcoholic beverages

bnacpa -- paper towels (4 rolls)

zoramargolis -- lavender

ol ironstomach -- a medium 2-burner camp stove and at least one or two butane cassette burners

Jacques Gastreaux -- cigars (3 or 4), folding chairs (1 or 2) and the big black plastic trash bag filled with all of the leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics

zoramargolis

ol ironstomach

(something baked)

bbq4me (some type of "twisted old school Chamorro food")

goldenticket

Tripewriter

squidsdc

For those wishing to contribute a non-food item and don't know what, see the post here for paper goods that are still needed.

And for those who do not want to go back scrolling through a bunch of posts to find the location of the picnic, it will be at Fort Hunt Park, picnic area C-2. A map and directions can be found here.

As always, please feel free to PM me corrections, re-categorizations, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors, picnic food-related questions or if you are just too shy to post what you plan to bring. :)

I see a shortage of mains and proteins forthcoming.  Mayonnaise-based salads, cookies-from-a-mix, and gelatinous molds should be minimized.  Nobody over the age of eight likes that crap.  Jacques Gastreaux's smoked pork butt should be a model for everyone.

I'm slightly concerned about the risk of serious pork overload, but it's one of the few things I can do well. So my +1 and I will bring a pork shoulder, or more precisely, pernil. Roasted Puerto Rican style, not smoked or barbecued, so it should be sufficiently different from the other pig offerings.

Remember also that you don't need to bring large quantities of food.  If sixty people each bring food for forty people, then that's food for 2,400 people.  Last year there was an enormous amount of food that remained uneaten.  Anticipating this, you guys may want to bring some "to-go" containers for yourselves.  I guarantee people are going to be rolling home stuffed to the point of discomfort.

perhaps we could line up a homeless shelter or some other organization that might benefit from excess food. while i will not be driving, i am hoping that one among us will volunteer to share our excess with those less fortunate.

Mayonnaise-based salads
Fine! No chicken salad based on a combination that was revealed to me in a dream. Unless I can rework it a little (the mayo wasn't part of the overall concept), but I WAS going to make the mayo and not use Miracle Whip. I'm still doing the pork, though!

--Matt

Who WAS going to use Miracle Whip but only reveal the fact after it had been eaten and enjoyed :)

Who WAS going to use Miracle Whip but only reveal the fact after it had been eaten and enjoyed  :)

My contribution to last Fall's picnic was a cucumber mold that contained not only gelatin but Miracle Whip. Not a smidgen was left, thank you very much Don. However, it was the first, and probably last time I will ever use Miracle Whip.

oh yeah... I still have the container with the left over Miracle Whip in the 'fridge if anybody would like to use it up. :angry:

I am pleased to announce that thanks to Skysplitter and Crackers we have gotten our act together early enough to offer an Official 2nd Annual Spring Picnic T-Shirt!

The cost will be somewhere around $12-$16. I will know an exact price once we know how many to order. Prepayment through paypal will be required. Details will be announced later.

We have sizes from youth through mens 4x. Here is a link to the size chart.

I will be accepting orders via PM only. Please let me know how many of what size you would like. The shirts will be handed out at the picnic. If you would like a shirt but won't be able to join us for the picnic we can work out a pick up time or meeting place if necessary.

Deadline to let me know is May 17th.

I have (hopefully) attached a pic of the current mock up of the front of the shirt below. The back will say Spring Picnic 2006 with the ventworm illustration.

post-19-1147365179_thumb.jpg

Edited by hillvalley

And you would know this exactly HOW?  (Never having attended one of these gatherings.)  At the last event, I had more food than I could eat and I didn't even get any of the mango mold, although my husband mentioned how wonderful it was.  It is absolutely HILARIOUS to some of us that Don would dictate the no-noes and not be there to taste any of them.  Gelatin molds?  He scoffs.  But, he has never tasted any of our offerings.  He REALLY is clueless. :)

The mango and cucumber molds from last year were both great and neither had a drop left!

Please specify if you want the youth size or the men's size. 

Or, for those of you who are sartorally challenged, you can figure out which size to order by looking at "Mary,", "Jenny," "Kate," "Florence" or..."Tationna," "Brendan,' "Ben," or "Mark", and then give Hillvalley the corresponding size. (please do NOT order by name, that will hopelessly confuse her!) The t-shirts are Hanes Beefy-Ts, heavyweight, 99% cotton, pre-shrunk, taped neck, with double needle hems. In other words, you will be ready for your calendar pin-up photo op. :)

If anybody works with a group that would accept our food please let me, mktye or crackers know.

I'll check with the Carpenter's Shelter in Old Town to see if they will take our leftovers [read: not-so-perishable cookies, sodas/juices/bottled water, excess paper goods & anything else not adversely effected by sitting outside in the sun for more than 4 hours]

Ok, I'm joining in a little late here, but Amy, Noah and I are planning to come.

I avoided coming last year because my cooking skills are...rudimentary and I felt bad coming and leaching off of everyone elses cooking. However, I've actually been cooking lately (rather than eating out for every meal), and I think I might attempt to bring some food.

I brought up the idea of spinach and tomato arancini the other day at Corduroy and it seemed to go over well with everyone. The only thing I'm worried about is how fresh they will be after I cook them and then transport them to the campground. By any chance is anyone bringing a portable deep fryer? :) I read earlier that people were bringing some propane burners. If so, I'll just bring some oil and a pot and we'll be able to deep dry them there so they're fresh.

I've also been messing around with crostini lately (particularly fava bean and marscarpone cheese) and I was thinking of bringing a few baguettes and various toppings -- parmesan, mushroom or spinach pesto.

Ok, I'm joining in a little late here, but Amy, Noah and I are planning to come.

I avoided coming last year because my cooking skills are...rudimentary and I felt bad coming and leaching off of everyone elses cooking. However, I've actually been cooking lately (rather than eating out for every meal), and I think I might attempt to bring some food.

I brought up the idea of spinach and tomato arancini the other day at Corduroy and it seemed to go over well with everyone. The only thing I'm worried about is how fresh they will be after I cook them and then transport them to the campground. By any chance is anyone bringing a portable deep fryer?  :) I read earlier that people were bringing some propane burners. If so, I'll just bring some oil and a pot and we'll be able to deep dry them there so they're fresh.

I've also been messing around with crostini lately (particularly fava bean and marscarpone cheese) and I was thinking of bringing a few baguettes and various toppings -- parmesan, mushroom or spinach pesto.

I believe that you have made a "rookie" mistake; i.e., thinking that everybody on this board knows how to COOK, as opposed to believing we all know how to EAT (which is true). A deep fryer at such an event is problematic, unless you know precisely what you are doing and bring the appropriate equipment your own self. At the last picnic, we certainly did NOT run out of food. Far from it. We DID, however, run out of libations of the fermented variety. Danny Boylen showed up late in the day to alleviate that particular problem.

You need to think in terms of a "picnic" and what foods are appropriate for that. What can you bring which won't suffer too much from being set out in the sun for a time? Anything which requires last minute preparation to be eaten promptly is most likely not the best choice for this event, however lovely such a dish might be. Folk show up at varying times and are ready to eat at equally variable times. Just sayin'.

Personally, I will be very happy to see you, Amy and, especially, Noah at this event, whether you show up empty-handed or otherwise.

By any chance is anyone bringing a portable deep fryer?  :) I read earlier that people were bringing some propane burners. If so, I'll just bring some oil and a pot and we'll be able to deep dry them there so they're fresh.

Actually, someone did mention bringing a butane deep fryer [sorry, can't remember who you are - care to out yourself?] and several people did enjoy preparing their contributions last minute right there at the Spring and Fall picnics - mini-burgers, kebabs, sausages, etc., all grilled during the picnic, not to mention hand-churned ice cream, all delicious, and all pounced on and disappeared in a rapido speedo feeding frenzy. The crostini sound good too - especially if you will give a fava bean peeling demonstration for us.

My husband and I will probably be there. I'm not 100% certain, which is why I didn't post before. I see that there is no tabbouli listed on the most recent menu, so I will make that and a couple of loaves of bread of some sort.

I was thinking something this morning as I pondered my "drink this now" pile in the cellar. Perhaps we should make the fermented beverage aspect of the picnic a bit of a cellar cull? Bring stuff, pop stuff, if it sucks, pop something else. After all we don't have to hide it this year....

I am pleased to announce that thanks to Skysplitter and Crackers we have gotten our act together early enough to offer an Official 2nd Annual Spring Picnic T-Shirt!

The cost will be somewhere around $12-$16. I will know an exact price once we know how many to order. Prepayment through paypal will be required. Details will be announced later.

We have sizes from youth through mens 4x. Here is a link to the size chart.

I will be accepting orders via PM only. Please let me know how many of what size you would like. The shirts will be handed out at the picnic. If you would like a shirt but won't be able to join us for the picnic we can work out a pick up time or meeting place if necessary.

Deadline to let me know is May 17th.

I have (hopefully) attached a pic of the current mock up of the front of the shirt below. The back will say Spring Picnic 2006 with the ventworm illustration.

Is it too late to change the copy to: EAT well. DRINK well. VENT well.?

I brought up the idea of spinach and tomato arancini the other day at Corduroy and it seemed to go over well with everyone. The only thing I'm worried about is how fresh they will be after I cook them and then transport them to the campground. By any chance is anyone bringing a portable deep fryer? :) I read earlier that people were bringing some propane burners. If so, I'll just bring some oil and a pot and we'll be able to deep dry them there so they're fresh.

Jason,

Waitman and I fried up some vietnamese spring rolls at one or another of the dr. picnics, and while I was more or less pleased with the results, I would suggest that the hassle factor of dealing with the grease (and getting it to high enough frying temp) out-weighs yummy factor plus there is also the kids running around boiling oil nerve factor too. I agree with Barbara's points in her earlier post. However, if you really want to, we have one of those nifty propane burners too and would be glad to toss it in the car if you would like.

So you all don't have to scroll through the thread looking for the information... A map and directions to Fort Hunt park can be found here. We have reserved picnic area C-2 for Sunday, June 4th from 12-6.

Below is the latest list of who is bringing what, based on what has been posted/PM'd so far:

Meats/Mains:

mdt & CrescentFresh -- homemade bratwurst

agm -- pernil (Puerto Rican-style roasted pork shoulder)

LaShanta -- barbequed chicken

Sides/Salads:

Al Dente -- gazpacho

Gubeen -- som tam

Pat -- tabbouli and a couple of loaves of bread

holdtheline -- roasted corn and tomato salad (vegan)

Desserts:

Barbara -- cheesecake

SunshineE -- pie, probably lemon meringue or apple

Walrus -- cupcakes

hm212 -- brownies

pidgey -- cake (?)

bnacpa -- insane brownies

LaShanta -- cupcakes

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

shogun -- pork rillettes and/or pissaladier and/or a dreamy chicken salad and/or onigiri and/or ???

Monica Bhide -- spiced peas in flaky pastry

dcfoodie -- arancini and/or crostini

zoramargolis -- homemade chevre with lavender and fennel pollen, and either a Spanish or Italian sheepmilk cheese with homemade quince mostarda

Tweaked -- beer

eating out -- beer

jparrot -- wine

hm212 -- soft drinks

pidgey -- non-alcoholic beverages

JPW -- fermented water with hops, malt and barley

bnacpa -- paper towels (4 rolls)

zoramargolis -- lavender

collije -- paper goods

Jacques Gastreaux -- cigars (3 or 4), folding chairs (1 or 2) and the big black plastic trash bag filled with all of the leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics

ol_ironstomach

bbq4me (some type of "twisted old school Chamorro food")

goldenticket

Tripewriter

squidsdc

For those wishing to contribute a non-food item and don't know what, see the post here for paper goods that are still needed.

As always, please feel free to PM me corrections, re-categorizations, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors, picnic food-related questions or if you are just too shy to post what you plan to bring. :)

Please shoot me a PM if you are interested in ordering a t-shirt.

We need to place the order by Thursday so orders are due by 5pm tomorrow afternoon. The final price will depend on how many people place an order, but we are shooting for the $12-16 range. The more orders we get the lower the price.

You do not need to attend the picnic to order a t-shirt. Pick up at a happy hour or other mutually convient location will be arranged.

Happy Ordering!

Just so eveyone understands, there will not be a supply of shirts available for purchase at the picnic. Only those who order them will get one. Also, the price is cost, no one associated with DR.com is making/losing any money off of these. And thanks to skysplitter for donating the great design work.

Here is the front and back of these soon-to-be collectors' item t-shirts:

epsdrcomfrontfinal7wj.jpgepsdrcombackfinal4ng.jpg

Early dr.com memorabilia simply will not get more sought after than this. Unless somebody had the forethought to save an original ventworm tube off that cake... :)

is anyone else going by themselves?

ive never met anyone from dr.com before and i'm a little nervous about attending alone.

i don't want to just sort of be by mahself, off to the side, y'all.

Don't worry about being alone. Many of us made our first appearance at an event solo and have lived to tell about it. Stop by at a HH (probably one this Friday so keep an eye on the whim thread) to introduce yourself and meet a smaller group of us.

is anyone else going by themselves?

ive never met anyone from dr.com before and i'm a little nervous about attending alone.

i don't want to just sort of be by mahself, off to the side, y'all.

Look, you are just going to have to jump into the pool, ya know?

BTW, I looked at your blog and, although I am undoubtedly old enough to be your mother, we have lots to talk about. Particularly about "flower cookery." :)