Aegean Taverna, Clarendon - Owed To Agree Shun Earn.

They gained our respect when we heard they had resisted becoming part of the huge development of condos and, doubtless, chain stores and restaurants that had been planned for their block of Wilson Blvd, refusing to sell out to the developer.

We admired their fortitude as they continued in business as said contractor dug an enormous hole around them for their underground parking. The Taverna looked like it would fall to the center of the earth if the wind blew the wrong way.

They continued to do business in the midst of all this contruction until the development eventually towered up above them blocking all sun from their vine covered patio. Now after enduring all this, after they had survived the dirt and din of construction, as we passed the restaurant last week - lights out and a "closed" sign on the door.

As a restaurant it had its flaws, but it was just fine when we needed to temper our longing for the islands with a spot of mezes, ouzo and some live greek music.

Is it closing for good? is it being sold -or will it be demolished and swallowed up by condo-cheesecakefactory-world? -- anyone know what's up?

My wife and I ate there on occassion when we lived in Rosslyn in the late 1990s. The food could be good. They had a braised lamb shank that I liked.

I remember them doling out ouzo after the dinner crowd had thinned out. Then the music would be turned up louder, and the owner would coax his wife out from behind the bar for a dance in the dining room. Seemed very old school to me.

My problem is I don't like those condo-dwellers. They push me around in Whole Foods. And it's all about me. I admit, though, it did look like warzone at the taverna, but the Hummers coming from the gym and the tanning salon played it up just as much.

I love this place. I grew up going there. My grandparents went to church with the owners. And the cooking -- while not exciting or gourmet -- was good, solid Greek home cooking. It was exactly what I expected from my grandmother or my aunties and it was a little slice of home on a restaurant plate. And the owners were amazing, kind, lovely people. I was just talking with a (Turkish!) colleague about what a great place this is the other day. So sad to see it go. It's the end of an era, like the closing of another family-owned Arlington business, Stein's Theatrical.

I guess now I'll have to schlep up Connecticut Ave to Parthenon.

Is it closing for good?  is it being sold -or will it be demolished and swallowed up by condo-cheesecakefactory-world? -- anyone know what's up?

Looks like it'll be a new restaurant. I walked by yesterday, and there's an ABC notice in the window with the name C Creek LLC as the applicant. According to the VA ABC website, the applicant's trade name is Mama Quans, and it says mixed beverage restaurant.

I went once probably 3 years ago or so. Can't say I hated it, but I don't recall it being anything special.

We went a couple of times when we lived in Cherrydale...it being one of the few palces that you could get into at 7:00 on a Friday night without a reservation. It wasn't anything revelatory, but it was okay. Beat the hell out of one more trip to Attila's...

Besides, they had fried cheese. No place can be that bad if they serve fried cheese.

Rob