The Tires On My Minivan Are Bald

Al Dente

I'm making my move into middle age in May. My wife is offering to commemorate my decrepitude by taking me out for a stellar meal. While the sky isn't quite the limit, I think we could do any restaurant in town if we watch it a bit on the wine and avoid complete gluttony.

Here are my initial thoughts.

Citronelle-I've never been, and from what I've read, it would seem to be the mac-daddy shit bomb restaurant in the DC area (and I mean this in the best possible way). I've looked over their website which lists a couple of set menu options that look do-able, but are there a la carte options as well? Can a couple get in and out of there for under $400 all inclusive without coming off like cheapskates?

2941-again, I've never been, and I've heard a lot of raves. The menus online look fantastic. How's the atmosphere? Under $400 oughta do it here, shouldn't it?

Restaurant Eve-I've dined at the bar a few times and enjoyed everything thoroughly. Perhaps an evening at a table is in order.

I realize everyone on this site is in their mid to late 20's, but if you were about to hit 40, where would you go and why? Suicide is not an option.

Personally, having had the same dilemma myself not long ago, and having been to all your choices (except Eve), my decision would be easy:

Maestro -- Tasting menu and wine pairing.

Followed by a guest room upstairs at the Ritz.

Last time I went to Maestro I believe it was about $450 after tax & tip with the 7-course tasting menu (weekday) and about $100 in wine. If you went down to the 5-course menu you'd be under $400. I think it's a great choice as it's one of the few high-end possibilities with no other way to experience it - no lounge, no bar, no cafe menu. So if you're only going to get there on a splurge this is the opportunity for it.

Waitman and I along with 2 friends dined ala carte at Citronelle a few weeks back and it was crazy good. I mean like the best meal I think I have ever had good (no kidding). The four of us were able to choose from among the "I gotta try it" items on the prix fixe menu and there were smiles all around. The amuses were off the chart and I still can't get the flavor of the green bean salad with flying fish roe (served in the cute little egg with the cherrio handle "casserole") out of my mind. Mr. Slater's care and attention is beyond words and his wine choices didn't suck either. I don't believe we made it out of there under $200 per person but happily we weren't picking up this tab. <_<

If you're looking to go all out, either Citronelle and Maestro are a full head above anything else in town. Citronelle is sophisticated and intimate but lighthearted, thanks to Michel's cooking. Maestro is opulent and refined but still manages to keep from being stuffy.

Out of the others you mentioned, 2941 seems to be striving even higher than before and once you pull up to the valet and out of the office tower surrounding it is a beautiful setting at night.

If I had to pick one for my upcoming 37th birthday, I'd probably go for Maestro, but that's just personal taste.

For a special someone's 4-0 celebrated last year, we did the 9-course + wine pairing in the Tasting Room at Eve. It was fantastic and made for a very special, and memorable (well maybe not the part of the evening from about the 4th or 5th pairing onward <_< ), evening. The bill topped out at slightly over $400 (from what I can recall). We went on a Monday, which made for a slightly calmer service than on a weekend (although I think they've been pretty most every night recently), but not for a very productive day at work on Tuesday.

We've celebrated my birthday at Maestro for the past few years - equally wonderful food, very different environment. Personally I kind of prefer the intimacy of the Tasting Room. If you want to have a little more personal space, the dining room at Maestro offers that (not that Eve is crowded).

To me:

Maestro = grand and elegant

Restaurant Eve = intimate and elegant

Haven't been to Citronelle (would love to go some day!) and 2941, well, the food is really nice, but the atmosphere doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Thanks for the thread, Al. I have the same dismal milestone coming up, and had the same idea about dinner, so it's interesting getting everyone's thoughts on it. We were thinking of Citronelle, but the point made above about Maestro being the only high end experience with no other option is well taken. What about CityZen?

(I'm also throwing myself a partay, to cover the low end celebrating. " Heineken? F*ck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon is what you'll drink tonight!" <_< )

I like Citronelle for major life events (last dinner with the girls before my wedding and our first anniversery dinner). You can spend under $400 and not feel cheap.

Mr. BLB refused to make a choice for his 40th birthday so I picked Komi. I'd throw it out there as a fine place for a celebration evening.

We tend to avoid Virginia because he doesn't drive and I'd like to be able to enjoy a few drinks without having to worry about getting back. And the cost of a cab to Virginia is prohibitive.

Citronelle gets my vote!

Jennifer

CityZen is very good, but the room left me a little cold and the food wasn't quite a special as Maestro or Citronelle.

If you've been to one of the others then it is someplace you should try to go. If not, one of the other two should be your first stop.

Thanks for the thread, Al.  I have the same dismal milestone coming up, and had the same idea about dinner, so it's interesting getting everyone's thoughts on it.  We were thinking of Citronelle, but the point made above about Maestro being the only high end experience with no other option is well taken.  What about CityZen?

(I'm also throwing myself a partay, to cover the low end celebrating.  " Heineken? F*ck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon is what you'll drink tonight!"  <_< )

Nice Blue Velvet quote...don't forget the ether at your party

I'd vote for Citronelle

I haven't been to Maestro and can't comment on that, but of all the other options I'd run with Citronelle, by a long shot.

Unless I was feeling all Piemontese, in which case the only other meal I've ever had that was as spectacular as Citronelle was RD's Laboratorio: $180/person with wine pairing and worth every fuckin' dime. And, assuming you can take your eyes off your lovely wife, the cooking show in Laoratorio is better than any place I've ever been.

I've been to all of your choices, and my vote goes to Maestro.

I chose to celebrate my 50th birthday elsewhere, and have regretted ever since not having gone to Maestro that night.

I celebrated my 52d birthday at Maestro this past year, and loved every bite--talk about an epiphany!

The 9-course Tasting Room dinner we had last Saturday came to the same amount we pay for the 7-course Creatione menu at Maestro--with wine pairings, and it's about the same amount of food.

The 5-course menu at Maestro would not break the bank, I think, even with wine pairings. They also have a tempting-looking vegetarian-friendly menu, if you're into that sort of thing.

Citronelle is excellent and a good choice (see the write up I did for the dinner we had there for my son's 18th). Another choice would be be to see if you can get a reservation at Labratorio in Galileo.

And 40 is not even mid life, he said being over 50. <_<

you really can't go wrong with any of these choices - we have dined at Maestro and Eve and they are both excellent - I would concur with others that the setting at Maestro exudes a little more grandeur, but honestly I think I prefer the understated elegance of Eve

Komi seems like a good suggestion too.  Have you been there before?

Yes. I dig the food tremendously, but I'm looking for a little more in the ambiance department.

The Lab is a great idea too, and it's another experience I'd like to have, but I'd rather focus on what's going on at my table rather than the theatre of Donna's kitchen.

Maestro. Hmmmm. It's now on the short list.

Thanks for all the advice (and kind PM's) everyone!

Restaurant Eve-I've dined at the bar a few times and enjoyed everything thoroughly. Perhaps an evening at a table is in order.

I realize everyone on this site is in their mid to late 20's, but if you were about to hit 40, where would you go and why? Suicide is not an option.

As someone who has hit 40 (and hard I might say)and a whole lot more, I'd go with Restaurant Eve and the tasting room and (to splurge) the 9 course tasting menu. Choose the wine pairings, ask your waitperson (arghhhhh!!! hate that word) to order for you and sit back and enjoy the fact that you're now mature enough to appreciate all of the food that is coming.

from what I've read, it would seem to be the mac-daddy shit bomb restaurant

Having never been to Eve, I can't tell you whether you are better trying it or Citronelle, but I can tell you that this is one of the best lines I've seen in a long time, no matter what the age of its declarant! And that was my experience when trying Citronelle a while back.

Have a great time wherever you go and be sure to tell us about it.

You're supposed to buy a red, convertable Miata now. <_<
Or an Audi TT...  :)
AudiTTs drive very well with bald tires. ;)

Citronelle or Maestro would be a tough choice for me - I had the most amazing meal of my life at Maestro, and on the other hand, I've never had a full dinner at Citronelle so I'd want to try that too. Either way, it will make for a memorable celebration (because that's what it should be.)

But the real question is, when's the accompanying Corduroy sling-bottles-around-the-bar happy hour?

That is a good question.

As for the Miata vs Rocksmobile, I think I'll need another 10 years or so before I feel THAT old.

Question regarding these restaurant options: My wife is what I would call semi-vegetarian (meaning she likes chicken and loves a steak but eschews the rest)-- would she be happier at Citronelle or Eve?

That is a good question.

As for the Miata vs Rocksmobile, I think I'll need another 10 years or so before I feel THAT old.

Question regarding these restaurant options: My wife is what I would call semi-vegetarian (meaning she likes chicken and loves a steak but eschews the rest)-- would she be happier at Citronelle or Eve?

I think she would be fine at either, especially if you called and talked with them in advance.

That is a good question.

Egad, no bacon (pork belly)?

Egad, no bacon (pork belly)?

The occasional strip of bacon. Just the word "belly" would put her off, even though I explain it isn't STOMACH fer chrissakes. I had a hard enough time getting her to eat pork butt.

She's a picky eater, but she at least tries new things now-- it ain't like when I first met her.

The occasional strip of bacon. Just the word "belly" would put her off, even though I explain it isn't STOMACH fer chrissakes. I had a hard enough time getting her to eat pork butt.

She's a picky eater, but she at least tries new things now-- it ain't like when I first met her.

Just explain that on the pig, the butt is not really the butt, it's the shoulder (what they use to "butt" the other pigs away from the trough with). The south end is called the "ham" I believe. On pork belly, you're on your own, but I believe bacon comes from the belly.

Just explain that on the pig, the butt is not really the butt, it's the shoulder (what they use to "butt" the other pigs away from the trough with).  The south end is called the "ham" I believe.  On pork belly, you're on your own, but I believe bacon comes from the belly.

Yep, I've covered all that. With illustrations and everything.

Back to back,

Belly to belly,

And I don't give a damn

Cos it don't matter really.

Back to back,

Belly to belly,

At the zombie jamboree.

The opinions expressed above do not necesarily represent the opinions of The Wild Grape, LLC., any future potential parent companies, any future potential subsidiaries and most likely, his wife....

My first post.

you really can't go wrong with any of these choices - we have dined at Maestro and Eve and they are both excellent - I would concur with others that the setting at Maestro exudes a little more grandeur, but honestly I think I prefer the understated elegance of Eve

"A little more grandeur" is itself, perhaps, understated. I dined at Maestro once, and make no mistake, the food was glorious. But everything is such a production, from the horde of servers doing the simultaneous thing to all the (rather fussy, in my view) special-purpose crockery for unique presentations. I found it all a bit much. At the tasting room at Restaurant Eve, however, the food was equally glorious, but the atmosphere was one of quiet and unostentatious pampering. If it were my choice between these two for a really special occasion, I'd certainly go with Eve.

The opinions expressed above do not necesarily represent the opinions of The Wild Grape, LLC., any future potential parent companies, any future potential subsidiaries and most likely, his wife....

My first post.

Welcome Mr. Weiss. We appreciate snarkiness, particularly when it's aimed at Jake. <_<;):)

That is a good question.

I know it wasn't one of the options, but several of the most spectacular items I had in both visits to Maestro came from the vegetable menu.