Harris Teeter, A North Carolina Chain with Dozens of Area Locations

I hit the store again today to get the last-minute things I need to prepare for the picnic, as well as a few other odds and ends. I found everything on my list (which rarely, if ever, happens when I go to the neighborhood Safeway), plus something I'd been looking for at various stores for some time. (Sherry vinegar--sometimes it's fairly easy to find, and other times I can't find it anywhere. Odd. I don't care for the bottle I have and I don't know if it's that bottle or what, but I haven't been able to find any more.) While I did get lost again, I didn't get as lost as I did last time :lol:.

The feedback as promised:

I sneaked a bit of cake w/o the berries, and it was difficult to stop! Got raves from the office as well. The cake was moist and firm, just like it should be. 8" round, and almost 8" tall, even with the extra cost for fresh berries, it was less than $20. (And the whipped cream icing was quite tasty!)

I found everything on my list (which rarely, if ever, happens when I go to the neighborhood Safeway), plus something I'd been looking for at various stores for some time.

I had a demerara sugar moment today! And the exotic fruit section is going to supply a lot of joy in my house for the coming weeks. Got a cherimoya today, something I had never heard of. It has the consistency of mango and tastes like vanilla and a hint of cherry. And they had fresh passion fruit--la sauce a fruit de la passion a la Chef Gerard is on my list for next week.

While I did get lost again, I didn't get as lost as I did last time :lol:.
I got a bit turned around myself today, but now I think I've got it down. :lol:

Checked out the Capitol Hill H-T on Sunday afternoon--lots of customers, but not overwhelming. The entrances to the store are a bit confusing and not especially pedestrian friendly. Most of the carts, particularly the small carts, are by the parking garage entrance; the streetside entrance--which looks like the main gateway--is down a flight of stairs, and had only a few carts and baskets there, mostly those abandoned by previous customers. The layout overall is a bit confusing at first, but I'm sure I could get used to it fast enough. There's lots of product here, and many brands and varieties I don't see at Safeway. Yet, despite some good specials, mainly in the meat and produce sections, I found prices on many, if not most of my staple buys to be significantly more expensive than at Safeway. With careful shopping, I'm sure I could figure out how to make H-T work for me economically, but for the most part, I can't see walking the extra 3-4 blocks each way regularly when I can do as well as better at Safeway, Eastern Market, Yes!, and Trader Joe's. H-T will likely be my back-up when those other options fail me--it's nice, the customer service seems excellent, but that's not enough to overcome the convenience and price barriers.

Checked out the Capitol Hill H-T on Sunday afternoon--lots of customers, but not overwhelming. The entrances to the store are a bit confusing and not especially pedestrian friendly. Most of the carts, particularly the small carts, are by the parking garage entrance; the streetside entrance--which looks like the main gateway--is down a flight of stairs, and had only a few carts and baskets there, mostly those abandoned by previous customers. The layout overall is a bit confusing at first, but I'm sure I could get used to it fast enough. There's lots of product here, and many brands and varieties I don't see at Safeway. Yet, despite some good specials, mainly in the meat and produce sections, I found prices on many, if not most of my staple buys to be significantly more expensive than at Safeway. With careful shopping, I'm sure I could figure out how to make H-T work for me economically, but for the most part, I can't see walking the extra 3-4 blocks each way regularly when I can do as well as better at Safeway, Eastern Market, Yes!, and Trader Joe's. H-T will likely be my back-up when those other options fail me--it's nice, the customer service seems excellent, but that's not enough to overcome the convenience and price barriers.

The selection at HT is its big selling point, and for me at least this is the factor that will make it a regular stop, especially for produce. Daikon radish, long-stemmed globe artichokes to make your eyes water, a number of mushroom varieties, various chilies--things I'd normally have to go crosstown for are all in abundance here. The prepared food selection alone is impressive (I picked up a roast chicken the other night that was moist, tender and flavorful, not like the dessicated ones at Eastern Market). I can stock my Chinese pantry here without having to go out to the burbs; and just looking at the Hispanic foods inspired me to try my hand at that cuisine. Finally, HT is obviously far better managed than the Safeway, where the stocking and inventory practices continue to resemble those of Poland under the Jaruzelski régime. There are a few shortcomings: HT's mineral water selection is small (no real Sprudel, like Gerolsteiner) and their wine selection seems to be based on the program of an anonymous supermarket buyer rather than independent thought and discernment. I was unimpressed by the beef selection, which was dominated by thin cuts for diffident carnivores. Also, like Safeway, they only sell Plugra in the 8oz foil package--for a whopping $6.00! For these reasons, Trader Joe's will continue to be our mainstay in most ways, but ohmygawd it is such a blessing to finally have a decent supermarket in our area!

The selection at HT is its big selling point, and for me at least this is the factor that will make it a regular stop, especially for produce. Daikon radish, long-stemmed globe artichokes to make your eyes water, a number of mushroom varieties, various chilies--things I'd normally have to go crosstown for are all in abundance here. The prepared food selection alone is impressive (I picked up a roast chicken the other night that was moist, tender and flavorful, not like the dessicated ones at Eastern Market). I can stock my Chinese pantry here without having to go out to the burbs; and just looking at the Hispanic foods inspired me to try my hand at that cuisine. Finally, HT is obviously far better managed than the Safeway, where the stocking and inventory practices continue to resemble those of Poland under the Jaruzelski régime. There are a few shortcomings: HT's mineral water selection is small (no real Sprudel, like Gerolsteiner) and their wine selection seems to be based on the program of an anonymous supermarket buyer rather than independent thought and discernment. I was unimpressed by the beef selection, which was dominated by thin cuts for diffident carnivores. Also, like Safeway, they only sell Plugra in the 8oz foil package--for a whopping $6.00! For these reasons, Trader Joe's will continue to be our mainstay in most ways, but ohmygawd it is such a blessing to finally have a decent supermarket in our area!

The other good news, the Cap Hill Safeway was very slow on Sunday afternoon, found parking right away, in and out in under 15 minutes!

The other good news, the Cap Hill Safeway was very slow on Sunday afternoon, found parking right away, in and out in under 15 minutes!
I'm sure there are still things I'll run to Safeway for or drive to Whole Foods for, but having such a good selection nearby is quite a good development. I was very impressed that I was able to find everything on my list (and more) on my trip Friday. I don't know if that and the good customer service will continue long-term or not. I hope so!

Traffic was the biggest issue for me. I nearly got backed into twice near the store dealing with weird driving situations. When I'm not buying much, I can walk, but I've got to deal with traffic and parking if I'm purchasing more than I can carry on foot.

Tried to go there (to the new Harris Teeter Columbia, MD location) yesterday at lunch, not open. Ended up being bad for my diet for lunch as a result. It's all Harris Teeter's fault!

So I try to go again last night to pick up a few things on the way home and check it out. You would think they were giving away free groceries for a year to anyone crazy enough to try to get in the building. They were holding people outside because there were too many people in the building (under fire code?). No way was I going in there. Fuggeddaboutit.

So, my third try worked well this morning. I stopped in to check it out and was pleasantly surprised. Immaculate, spacious, bright, fully stocked, filled with lots of cheery people asking if I needed help and welcoming me to the store. We'll see how long that lasts.

The produce all looked good and they even had a small amount of organic produce there -- so this is not a Whole Foods of My Organic Market, but not a bad showing. They have a large prepared foods area, but nothing like what Wegman's or Whole Foods or Balducci's have. The meat and fish counters were nice and everything looked amazingly fresh. They even had these cases that you could open from the outside to more closely inspect the meat or fish as needed -- that was cool. They had a good selection of already prepared and packaged meats, too, including young ducklings there ready to go home with you. A decent cheese counter was there as well with a staffed cheese person there to assist.

Everything else was well stocked, lots of selection, but nothing as over the top as a Wegman's or as organic as a My Organic Market or Whole Foods and not as gourmet as a Balducci's. The checkout process was a little stunted as the new employees tried to get used to their own processes and the products (no conveyor belts to unload your stuff on, I think they would take your cart (they took my basket) on to their side a la Costco, and load your stuff bagged in to an empty one on the end). The checkout person couldn't find the code for these nice plump crimini mushrooms I bagged up and asked me what the baby bok choy was, too as other examples. They have cloth reusable bags there, too, but I forgot to bring mine in with me or buy a new one as I was getting one of their 'shoppers cards' signed up for and using the checkout payment thingie. Next time.

All in all a pleasant experience. A good mix of most anything anyone would want, decent organics selection, some gourmet stuff, but just a good solid grocery store. Not a destination, but a good addition to the central Maryland grocery scene.

Okay, the Capitol Hill HT is growing on me a bit--I'm managing to find some good deals there, though I still think that their average everyday prices are higher than Safeway (though at least they usually have non-green bananas). The staff is generally very friendly and helpful, though I've had a few weird glitches in my last couple of visits. Last week, the clerk rang up my groceries, and then suddenly abandoned her post before completing the transaction to guard a spill in the doorway, even though two other clerks without customers were standing right there--I had to beg them to finish it up. Then today, the clerk gave me the Thursday senior citizen discount without even asking to see my ID--which would have told her I'm a decade away from qualifying. I saved a dollar but I need a hug. :lol:

[The kingklip] is wild caught in South America according to the info sheet in the store. It looked kind of tired so I let it be.
We shop at different HT's, but last night I dropped by the seafood counter and noticed a gorgeous hunk of fresh, wild-caught Yellowfin tuna, also from Ecuador. It was on sale (around $11 lb.).

The Monterey Bay Seafood Watch says that troll/pole-caught YT from the U.S. Atlantic is the best choice and that the fish caught in other parts of the world tends (1) to contain high amounts of mercury and (2) to be overfished (3) w longlines, thereby capturing lots of other (endangered) fish in the process.

The wild-caught salmon was only $8.99 and also looked good; type unclassified.

I would never buy shellfish in the store, though. No ice under anything. Every time I pass by, the clams, especially, look dreadful: just about every shell open w wormy bits protruding.

This post is sponsored by Your Local PC Uberlord & Monteray Bay Seafood Watch:

Seafood specials this week include wild-caught cod ($7), Alaskan sockeye (also w-c; $8); snapper, w-c ($9) & swordfish steaks, w-c ($10).

Avoid cod unless you can be assured it is from the Pacific vs. Atlantic ocean, preferably not trawl-caught, though I'd be hard-pressed to recall ever having that specific an item of information accessible.

Skip the Red Snapper, too.

Sockeye--fine.

Swordfish: don't buy anything imported.

Skip the Red Snapper, too.

Snapper is a difficult issue. There are fisheries that are over fished but on a stringent recovery plan. Buying these snapper helps maintain the fishing economy and prevcents the over fishing of other varieties for subsistence reasons. On the other hand, if the water is unregulated or the regulation plan just isnt a good one, then don't buy. Lots of research needs to be done on the consumers part. Just a MBA or a Blue Waters good or best rating isn't always a guide.

If responsible fishing of items ranked avoid is part of restoring the stocks, then it is a good idea to support the fishery. If the fishing plan is just a blueprint of when to take the last fish (ie like the plans for Columbia River Sturgeon and Blusfins from the Atlantic and Mediterranean), then run like hell!

I would never buy shellfish in the store, though. No ice under anything. Every time I pass by, the clams, especially, look dreadful: just about every shell open w wormy bits protruding.

HT quite frequently has fresh East Coast shrimp with the heads on for sale. The head on shrimp are not carried regularly and are always about $5.99 a lb when they have them. You owe it to yourself to get there on a Wednesday or Friday (delivery days) during weeks they have them and get a couple of pounds, take them home, and prepare them simply. They are so deliciously briny and a favorite of ours on the grill in the warm months. I do agree that their other shellfish don't ever look appealing.

I just picked up from HT the Al Fresco Natural Chicken Apple Sausage with maple syrup, and the flavors in it wasn't that bad. The pork casing was a bit tough to chew, but once you got beyond the casing, the chicken sausage was pretty moist and sweet from the syrup. The ingredients are natural and there's no MSG or HFCP.

This isn't a bad item to pick up in a pinch for dinner and you don't have time to run to someplace fancy like German Gourmet. Also, I like how it doesn't fall apart like the WF ones.

I just picked up from HT the Al Fresco Natural Chicken Apple Sausage with maple syrup, and the flavors in it wasn't that bad. The pork casing was a bit tough to chew, but once you got beyond the casing, the chicken sausage was pretty moist and sweet from the syrup. The ingredients are natural and there's no MSG or HFCP.

This isn't a bad item to pick up in a pinch for dinner and you don't have time to run to someplace fancy like German Gourmet. Also, I like how it doesn't fall apart like the WF ones.

Agreed - my kids like these.

Though proud poppa was very happy when the 11-year-old said "Dad, these are good, but not as good as the ones we bought out of the back of that guy's car", alluding to our stop at Stachowski's Traveling Roadshow a few weeks back.

At $4.99 a pound, the rhubarb is still more expensive than it is at farmers markets, however:

monavano, go tell dcfoodie that FAVA BEANS are going for $2.99 this week. Through next Tuesday, at least at the Capitol Hill location. Very good looking, too.

monavano, go tell dcfoodie that FAVA BEANS are going for $2.99 this week. Through next Tuesday, at least at the Capitol Hill location. Very good looking, too.
I bought some favas at the P Street Whole Foods yesterday for $1.99. The rhubarb there, on the other hand was a ridiculous $5.99 a pound. It's crazy--rhubarb is the easiest food plant in the world to grow. It is a perennial, and just comes back and sends up stalks like crazy every year without any work at all.

I found the cutest little new potatoes at the Pentagon City Harris Teeter last week--and they were creamy and delicious steamed and then tossed in dill butter.

I think this remains the only grocery store in the area that carries the oil-packed Genoa (Genova?) brand tuna in cans. Please inform me if I am wrong--or if you see the item in stores other than the location on Capitol Hill. Thanks.

I get Genova in multi-packs at Costco. I used to get it at Trader Joe's, but it's cheaper at Costco, and I think that TJ's has switched brands. Rodman's sells oil-packed tuna. I know they carry Cento, but I can't say whether they have other brands, as well.

tip: you can get a whole rotisserie chicken from Haris Teeter (sic) for about $2 after 8pm.

I love this deal too, but always can't remember to take advantage of it. Sometimes it's oversalted, but overall, it's great to use it for a variety of dinners and broth.

I think this remains the only grocery store in the area that carries the oil-packed Genoa (Genova?) brand tuna in cans. Please inform me if I am wrong--or if you see the item in stores other than the location on Capitol Hill. Thanks.

I've seen it in the Lee-Harrison location (Which I refer to as "plaza of the angry yuppie", the parking lot is ridiculous). I used to be able to get it at the Barcroft (VA) store, but alas, no more.

Oh Harris-Teeter, bringer of southern cooking staples up north, what a tease you are. Thank goodness for ethnic groceries, where I can get those other items I need want. Because my H-T doesn't carry lard at all, nor does it have presliced braunschweiger in the deli section any more.

Yeah, I know. I have only my health-fixated neighbors to thank. Thanks for letting me vent.

Oh Harris-Teeter, bringer of southern cooking staples up north, what a tease you are. Thank goodness for ethnic groceries, where I can get those other items I need want. Because my H-T doesn't carry lard at all, nor does it have presliced braunschweiger in the deli section any more.

Yeah, I know. I have only my health-fixated neighbors to thank. Thanks for letting me vent.

:) Wouldn't buy lard at most supermarkets, anyway, though I've seen it at Safeway in Adams-Morgan. FWIW lard's fans note it has less saturated fat than butter.

I saw lard at one of the pork vendors at the Dupont market today.

Cedarbrook--very reasonable at $4.95 for a whole lot. Most pig farmers sell lard, though you can order kidney fat from Eco-Friendly should you care to render your own leaf lard which I did once for the experience.

I think ol-i's post is well-taken, though. Since this is a Southern-based chain, you can buy a few regional specialties such as White Lily flour for your biscuits. Rather than sell just what you can find in this area's Safeways and Giants, H-T ought to distinguish itself by catering to locals hankering for Southern [or British, though they'd use suet, methinks] fare.

Rather than sell just what you can find in this area's Safeways and Giants, H-T ought to distinguish itself by catering to locals hankering for Southern [or British, though they'd use suet, methinks] fare.

Or Czech. The only person I know who regularly cooks with lard any more is Czech.

As with the last update, Talenti Gelato is on sale. This time it's a sale for the VIC customers only, buy one get one free limit 1 (or, well, 2, I guess). Still, two-for-one isn't bad!

Oh drat, I didn't make it to the corner of the Barcroft store where the 'scream is when I was there yesterday. My consulation was to stock up on B&J's on sale at Giant later.

I loathe the Ballston Harris Teeter. I go when we are buying some produce and want real coke (so no WF). But it is so expensive and the selection is so lame sometimes I just go to Whole Foods and Giant, but then Hubby complains about going to two stores (then we end up going all the way out to Wegman's which takes the same if not more time). But the produce is generally better than Giant. But trying to get in and out of the parking lot, then in and out of the store, and actually get the items you want is so phenomenally hard. And their gluten free selections are pitiful. And their prepared food section is also pitiful. And it just seems to cost so much for what you get.

I loathe the Ballston Harris Teeter. I go when we are buying some produce and want real coke (so no WF). But it is so expensive and the selection is so lame sometimes I just go to Whole Foods and Giant, but then Hubby complains about going to two stores (then we end up going all the way out to Wegman's which takes the same if not more time). But the produce is generally better than Giant. But trying to get in and out of the parking lot, then in and out of the store, and actually get the items you want is so phenomenally hard. And their gluten free selections are pitiful. And their prepared food section is also pitiful. And it just seems to cost so much for what you get.

If you are flexible in what you buy, the Ballston Harris Teeter has phenomenal deals. This week alone, grapes are $1 a lb, whole pineapples are $2 and mangos are .75 ish each. Last week strawberries were insanely cheap. I've also found their seafood selection is good, and not prohibitively expensive like WF. Harris Teeter has really good sales on items I eat and if you tailor your purchases around them its definitely cheaper than Giant.

I loathe the Ballston Harris Teeter. I go when we are buying some produce and want real coke (so no WF). But it is so expensive and the selection is so lame sometimes I just go to Whole Foods and Giant, but then Hubby complains about going to two stores (then we end up going all the way out to Wegman's which takes the same if not more time).

If you don't mind the little bit of an extra drive, I really like the Lee-Harrison Shopping Center. It has a separate parking garage that is way better than the insane mess of the L-H lot. Another alternative is the Potomac Yards one, but I am not quite a fan of that one yet. Both are also open 24 hours.

Well, I at least like, maybe not love, the Ballston Harris Teeter. I stopped in today and picked up some impeccable Driscoll's organic strawberries, a stupid-low sale on chicken leg-thigh quarters ($.77 a pound), and 3 trays of various "Chef's Sampler" sushi for about $33. I've had far better sushi, and I've had far worse sushi, but the quantity and quality for the price was probably among the best I've had in recent memory. I even picked up a six pack of Magic Hat Wacko Summer Seasonal for $7.99, which I thought was a good value.

I'm currently shopping at Krogers in Richmond and really miss Harris Teeter. Though this could mean HT starts carrying Graeter's ice cream.

Graeter's started popping up at Whole Foods and Safeway locations around DC about a month ago. They don't seem to be getting restocked steadily though - my closest Safeway has only had Vanilla (with Graeter's? what's the point?) for weeks, and my last trip to the 14/P Whole Foods found only Black Raspberry Chip and one single pint of Mocha Chip.

Still, it is now here in the district. My gut is proof.