LittleWing

Harris Teeter, A North Carolina Chain with Dozens of Area Locations

tip: you can get a whole rotisserie chicken from Haris Teeter (sic) for about $2 after 8pm.

I love this deal too, but always can't remember to take advantage of it. Sometimes it's oversalted, but overall, it's great to use it for a variety of dinners and broth.

I think this remains the only grocery store in the area that carries the oil-packed Genoa (Genova?) brand tuna in cans. Please inform me if I am wrong--or if you see the item in stores other than the location on Capitol Hill. Thanks.

I've seen it in the Lee-Harrison location (Which I refer to as "plaza of the angry yuppie", the parking lot is ridiculous). I used to be able to get it at the Barcroft (VA) store, but alas, no more.

Oh Harris-Teeter, bringer of southern cooking staples up north, what a tease you are. Thank goodness for ethnic groceries, where I can get those other items I need want. Because my H-T doesn't carry lard at all, nor does it have presliced braunschweiger in the deli section any more.

Yeah, I know. I have only my health-fixated neighbors to thank. Thanks for letting me vent.

Oh Harris-Teeter, bringer of southern cooking staples up north, what a tease you are. Thank goodness for ethnic groceries, where I can get those other items I need want. Because my H-T doesn't carry lard at all, nor does it have presliced braunschweiger in the deli section any more.

Yeah, I know. I have only my health-fixated neighbors to thank. Thanks for letting me vent.

:) Wouldn't buy lard at most supermarkets, anyway, though I've seen it at Safeway in Adams-Morgan. FWIW lard's fans note it has less saturated fat than butter.

Because my H-T doesn't carry lard at all

I saw lard at one of the pork vendors at the Dupont market today.

I saw lard at one of the pork vendors at the Dupont market today.

Cedarbrook--very reasonable at $4.95 for a whole lot. Most pig farmers sell lard, though you can order kidney fat from Eco-Friendly should you care to render your own leaf lard which I did once for the experience.

I think ol-i's post is well-taken, though. Since this is a Southern-based chain, you can buy a few regional specialties such as White Lily flour for your biscuits. Rather than sell just what you can find in this area's Safeways and Giants, H-T ought to distinguish itself by catering to locals hankering for Southern [or British, though they'd use suet, methinks] fare.

Rather than sell just what you can find in this area's Safeways and Giants, H-T ought to distinguish itself by catering to locals hankering for Southern [or British, though they'd use suet, methinks] fare.

Or Czech. The only person I know who regularly cooks with lard any more is Czech.

For any fans of Talenti Gelato, it is on sale here for $3.99 until Wednesday, I think.

I have really enjoyed their Caramel Cookie Crunch, Belgian Chocolate and Dark Chocolate Chip flavors.

For any fans of Talenti Gelato, it is on sale here for $3.99 until Wednesday, I think.

I have really enjoyed their Caramel Cookie Crunch, Belgian Chocolate and Dark Chocolate Chip flavors.

Thanks for the tip! I love that stuff and have only ever seen it at HT!

Thanks for the tip! I love that stuff and have only ever seen it at HT!

I found some at WF Clarendon too, but their sale during the same week was "$4.99". :-/

As with the last update, Talenti Gelato is on sale. This time it's a sale for the VIC customers only, buy one get one free limit 1 (or, well, 2, I guess). Still, two-for-one isn't bad!

As with the last update, Talenti Gelato is on sale. This time it's a sale for the VIC customers only, buy one get one free limit 1 (or, well, 2, I guess). Still, two-for-one isn't bad!

Oh drat, I didn't make it to the corner of the Barcroft store where the 'scream is when I was there yesterday. My consulation was to stock up on B&J's on sale at Giant later.

I loathe the Ballston Harris Teeter. I go when we are buying some produce and want real coke (so no WF). But it is so expensive and the selection is so lame sometimes I just go to Whole Foods and Giant, but then Hubby complains about going to two stores (then we end up going all the way out to Wegman's which takes the same if not more time). But the produce is generally better than Giant. But trying to get in and out of the parking lot, then in and out of the store, and actually get the items you want is so phenomenally hard. And their gluten free selections are pitiful. And their prepared food section is also pitiful. And it just seems to cost so much for what you get.

I loathe the Ballston Harris Teeter. I go when we are buying some produce and want real coke (so no WF). But it is so expensive and the selection is so lame sometimes I just go to Whole Foods and Giant, but then Hubby complains about going to two stores (then we end up going all the way out to Wegman's which takes the same if not more time). But the produce is generally better than Giant. But trying to get in and out of the parking lot, then in and out of the store, and actually get the items you want is so phenomenally hard. And their gluten free selections are pitiful. And their prepared food section is also pitiful. And it just seems to cost so much for what you get.

If you are flexible in what you buy, the Ballston Harris Teeter has phenomenal deals. This week alone, grapes are $1 a lb, whole pineapples are $2 and mangos are .75 ish each. Last week strawberries were insanely cheap. I've also found their seafood selection is good, and not prohibitively expensive like WF. Harris Teeter has really good sales on items I eat and if you tailor your purchases around them its definitely cheaper than Giant.

I loathe the Ballston Harris Teeter. I go when we are buying some produce and want real coke (so no WF). But it is so expensive and the selection is so lame sometimes I just go to Whole Foods and Giant, but then Hubby complains about going to two stores (then we end up going all the way out to Wegman's which takes the same if not more time).

If you don't mind the little bit of an extra drive, I really like the Lee-Harrison Shopping Center. It has a separate parking garage that is way better than the insane mess of the L-H lot. Another alternative is the Potomac Yards one, but I am not quite a fan of that one yet. Both are also open 24 hours.

Well, I at least like, maybe not love, the Ballston Harris Teeter. I stopped in today and picked up some impeccable Driscoll's organic strawberries, a stupid-low sale on chicken leg-thigh quarters ($.77 a pound), and 3 trays of various "Chef's Sampler" sushi for about $33. I've had far better sushi, and I've had far worse sushi, but the quantity and quality for the price was probably among the best I've had in recent memory. I even picked up a six pack of Magic Hat Wacko Summer Seasonal for $7.99, which I thought was a good value.

I think this may fall into the beer thread, but am starting here, since Barrel Trolley (on sale this week) is HT's house, craft brand. Has anyone tried it? Was curious.

Paging lperry, paging lperry! I saw that Rudi's stuff was on an e-VIC sale for $2.97 until end of today (midnight)! Sorry for late notice.

Thanks for the heads-up! Their products really seem to be better tasting and texture than other gluten-free options.

I used to shop Kroger all the time in Richmond, VA and it's a good store. Many companies are stratified to offer different products, experiences and price points.

I'm currently shopping at Krogers in Richmond and really miss Harris Teeter. Though this could mean HT starts carrying Graeter's ice cream.

I'm currently shopping at Krogers in Richmond and really miss Harris Teeter. Though this could mean HT starts carrying Graeter's ice cream.

Graeter's started popping up at Whole Foods and Safeway locations around DC about a month ago. They don't seem to be getting restocked steadily though - my closest Safeway has only had Vanilla (with Graeter's? what's the point?) for weeks, and my last trip to the 14/P Whole Foods found only Black Raspberry Chip and one single pint of Mocha Chip.

Still, it is now here in the district. My gut is proof.