The Source (2007-2020), Pan-Asian Fusion in the Newseum Building in Penn Quarter - Chef Russell Smith Replaces Scott Drewno

2 hours ago, eatruneat said:

I read in the Washington Post that The Source's lounge offers a three course pseudo chef's tasting menu for $35 per person. The Source had been underwhelming and expensive the few times I went, but that was before their remodeling and the deal seemed like a great way of trying out some of the new menu offerings so MichaelBDC and I meandered down there last Thursday to check it out.

The first course is a selection of small plates that included pickled cucumbers and radishes, sashimi, crab curry, sichuan chilled noodles, and 2 large scallion flower rolls. All the dishes were quite good with my favorites being the crab curry and the Sichuan chilled noodes. The sashimi was a slice of octopus and a slice of tuna per person, which were good enough to remind me that it has been awhile since my last sushi feast. For the second course, MichaelBDC and I ordered two different dumplings: the pork and chive potsticker and the chili "dan dan" chicken dumplings. I love dumplings and both were excellent, probably my favorite part of the meal. MichaelBDC and I devoured them and were satisfied enough to have walked away but we still had one last course. The piece de resistance were two humongous bones of orange and cumin rubbed short ribs that had been braised for several hours so that they easily fell off the bone. The beef was served over crispy smashed potatoes and with steamed bao buns, lettuce, cucumbers, scallions, and sauces for us to assemble our own baos. While delicious, MichaelBDC and I were so full we only had a small serving and packed the rest to go, which we happily ate the following evening. 

Overall, this is a great deal. The only downside is that drinks at The Source are really overprised. $7 for a Miller Light and $9 for a glass of beer from Atlas Breworks. My glass of very average Wolfgang Puck Sauvignon Blanc was $10 I believe. $16 for drinks on their cocktail list. I would definitely go here for their Saturday dumpling special ($5 an order) but the prices of drinks means that the bill will add up fast.

Thanks for the report, I wanted to try that since reading that article too.

Had dim sum with the kids.  Wonderful service, with one mistake, but they brought out free doughnuts at the end (even tho I didn't mention the misordered dish).

Now let's get into the nitty gritty.

1.  Mushroom Dumplings - yes they're dumplings, but they're deep fried like fried wontons (BTW, fried wontons is totally American Chinese).  Taste good tho.  3 pieces/order.

2.  Lobster & Shrimp Spring Roll - 1 roll, cut into 2 pieces.  Nice crispy wrapper, and I can see some whole shrimps inside.  Didn't dig around to see if there's actually lobster.  Even if there were, not sure you'd taste it.  Tastes pretty good.

3.  Duck Baos - they dress it up for you, duck, scallions, cucumber, and lots of plum sauce.  The duck's not Peking style, just roasted (but not Cantonese style).  Still tasty, but on the sweet side.  2 baos/order.

4.  Pork Belly Pot Stickers - rather dense filling but tastes decent.  The wrapper was nice and thin though, like it should be.  3 pieces/order.

5.  Sausage Fried Rice - decent, but I can wok up some fried rice.  This was strictly as a filler for the kids, thankfully they filled up with other stuff.  They didn't like it.  

6.  Shanghai Noodles - sweet.  Nothing like Shanghai noodles.

7.  Scallion Pancake - it's more like a souffle.  Unbelievably strange, and not good.

8.  Chicken Bun - I ordered turnip cakes, not sure how we ended up with chicken bun.  This thing isn't even on the menu, and it looks like a cinnamon roll.  2 rolls/order.

9.  Free donut with vanilla ice cream.

The pics are the "scallion pancake" and "chicken bun", as proof that I'm not insane.

Conclusion, I wouldn't pay twice the normal cost of dim sum to eat it again.  Even you order 8 dishes, each dish is ONLY $7.  But I can see that General Tso or Sesame Chicken lovers would really dig it, all the while thinking they're eating some high end Chinese cuisine.

Okay, I know the Source isn't aimed at authenticity.  So for me to blast them as being inauthentic is pretty weak.  But I honestly can't enjoy their food.  How Tom Seitsema can claim this to be the best "Chinese" food in DC is just mystifying to me.  Oh, he doesn't know shit about Asian food....

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

• Like 3

On 12/2/2016 at 10:49 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

I can understand the difference in pricing when there's a difference in rent/decor/service.  But the fact is people bitch about prices at Hakkasan or other high end Chinese restaurant with high rent, great decor, and great service but think half-ass wonton soup at the Source is worth $16.

whoa whoa whoa, stop the clock there...

the wonton soup at the Source is ridiculously good, and well worth $16.  i say that both from firsthand experience and also my recollection that the Washingtonian (or was it the Post?) put the Source's wonton soup as one of the best dishes in DC this year.  other items at the source, you may have a point.  but not the soup.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2016 at 10:40 AM, dpamlin said:

whoa whoa whoa, stop the clock there...

the wonton soup at the Source is ridiculously good, and well worth $16.  i say that both from firsthand experience and also my recollection that the Washingtonian (or was it the Post?) put the Source's wonton soup as one of the best dishes in DC this year.  other items at the source, you may have a point.  but not the soup.

Your "firsthand experience" means *much* more to me than a publication saying something is "one of the best dishes in DC this year."

That said, out of fairness:

"The Source Is Serving The Best ($16!) Wonton Soup You May Ever Eat" by Becky Krystal on washingtonpost.com

And indeed, the picture reveals a ramen-like product that doesn't seem overpriced at $16

That's a clown dish. Shitty noodles, mediocre wontons in ramen broth. Because it's ramen-like, it's worth $16? That's the economic reality that drives people to open shitty sushi joints.

Jan 23, 2015 - "The Best Wonton Noodles in Hong Kong" by Daniel Ang on danielfooddiary.com

Real wonton noodle soup is a treat worth flying across the world for.  None of the ramen soup in this city makes me want to drive across town.

27 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

That's a clown dish. Shitty noodles, mediocre wontons in ramen broth. Because it's ramen-like, it's worth $16? That's the economic reality that drives people to open shitty sushi joints.

Jan 23, 2015 - "The Best Wonton Noodles in Hong Kong" by Daniel Ang on danielfooddiary.com

Real wonton noodle soup is a treat worth flying across the world for.  None of the ramen soup in this city makes me want to drive across town.

I don't consider this "real wonton noodle soup" - I wouldn't know real wonton noodle soup if I was waterboarded with it - but I note that the broth is a triple chicken-pork-beef stock that takes twenty hours to make. Eric, you're always welcome to voice your opinion, which is often quite credible, but given The Source's location, and the way this broth looks to me, I don't think $16 seems unreasonable - authentic or not.

I'm assuming you had this dish given the way your post reads ("shitty noodles, mediocre wontons"), so yours is a perfectly valid opinion even if your language is harsh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

If you make some weird fusion food, it could justify a higher price and people will eat it up.

Do you think if this restaurant was in Woodley Park, it would be as popular?

What if it wasn't attached to the Newseum as their official restaurant, just steps from the National Gallery of Art. Archives, etc.?

And if it didn't have Wolfgang Puck's name on it? Don't forget, Puck is arguably America's first mega-celebrity restaurateur (I'm sure people can think of someone who came before, but this guy was selling $8 single-serving pizzas in Safeway in the mid 1980s).

Side note: What many people don't remember is that the bottom floor of The Source was selling primarily pizzas when it first opened. 

Shouldn't you (you having some degree of Asian ethnicity) be *glad* that non-European cuisine can sell at a higher price? Mark Kuller was advancing this exact same argument regarding Doi Moi here, before it opened, essentially "greasing the skids" for the public mindset to prepare itself for expensive Pan-Asian food (not really "advancing the argument," but "asking for opinions" as to why Asian cuisine *shouldn't* cost as much as European cuisine). I thought it was somewhat self-serving, yes, but it was a legitimate question.

This whole thing may be a non-sequitur - why isn't any other Pan-Asian restaurant commanding these prices? I think it could be Italian and still be just as expensive; I don't think it's the Asian-fusion aspect that's doing it, although I could be wrong.

Look at this post: The Source is selling Miller Lite for $7!

You and I do not disagree about the Barnum aspect of people, but I think in *this particular instance* it's due more to the names on the building, and its proximity to the Mall.

16 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Shouldn't you (you having some degree of Asian ethnicity) be *glad* that non-European cuisine can sell at a higher price? Mark Kuller was advancing this exact same argument regarding Doi Moi here, before it opened, essentially "greasing the skids" for the public mindset to prepare itself for expensive Pan-Asian food (not really "advancing the argument," but "asking for opinions" as to why Asian cuisine *shouldn't* cost as much as European cuisine). I thought it was somewhat self-serving, yes, but it was a legitimate question.

The problem is that "Chinese" food has been in the country for centuries.  The general perception is that "Chinese" food is supposed to be cheap because of the cheap quality of the ingredients.  Most Americans still don't understand that they've been eating Americanized Chinese food all their lives and they don't have a clue what real Chinese food is. 

The stigma of cheap food has not attached itself to other Asian cuisines.  For example, people perceive seafood to be expensive; therefore, sushi prices should be high.  So you have all kinds of shitty Japanese restaurants opened by and staffed by non-Japanese people. 

The ignorance is well illustrated by that Becky Krystal article.  She has no idea what a wonton noodle soup is.

32 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Side note: What many people don't remember is that the bottom floor of The Source was selling primarily pizzas when it first opened. 

Those pizzas were great, at a time when there weren't nearly as many good pizza options in the area.  I lived nearby and probably had like one a week for about a year straight.

3 minutes ago, RWBooneJr said:

Those pizzas were great, at a time when there weren't nearly as many good pizza options in the area.  I lived nearby and probably had like one a week for about a year straight.

I agree - I ordered them several times and loved them.

You know, this could be something as simple as, "Pizzas don't make $16 cocktails sell as well" - I don't know what percentage of downstairs revenue is from beverage sales, but I'd bet it's through the roof.

5 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The stigma of cheap food has not attached itself to other Asian cuisines. 

I would argue that both Vietnamese and Thai food are expected to be cheap.

This discussion on Pan-Asian and Asian Fusion has been interesting as it has me questioning my changing opinions on the issue. I used to be against anything that was not "authentic" but realized that my mindset did not leave room for cuisines to evolve as they often do. Why did Vietnamese food have to be stuck/frozen in 1975, the year my family immigrated to the United States? Why couldn't Vietnamese food change a bit over the 31 years since? While pho will always be pho, why couldn't some aspects of the cuisine change? Isn't there something inherently wrong with that mindset? And then my grandparents and other family members came back from their travels in Vietnam saying that some of the Vietnamese food in the United States is better because the ingredients and produce in the U.S. is superior to the raw products in Vietnam. Well shit.

I'm not arguing for watered down Asian food, especially in the name of fusion or pan-Asian. In fact, I think we should call it out when we see it. But I don't think we should be writing off all these efforts and labeling them bastardizations either. If something isn't authentic or is a bastardization of a dish, we should be able to articulate why rather than say it is just watered down pan-Asian white man's version of a dish.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Why didn't The Source be the first to bring top notch authentic Chinese wonton soup to D.C. Instead of this made for newly ramen crazed Crowd?  This whole discussion just made my point.

I may not have 2000+ posts (or even an avi here!), but that doesn't mean I lack a decent palette.  I have had ramen/wonton soup/other soup from Daikaya on a dozen occasions, from Toki several times, from some of my Rockville spots (Bob's, A&J), etc. so its not like I don't have points for comparison.  On taste alone, in my personal opinion, that soup from the Source is head and shoulders above.  And you still have not confirmed whether you in fact have had this dish.

It may not be as authentic as some other spots (though I don't even think they are going for authenticity), but in my view the Source makes the best soup in the area (perhaps aside from the Floating Market soup (or whatever its called) from Nava Thai).  Don't judge a book by its (expensive) cover.

And yes, indeed, hit em with the Heeeiiiiiiiiiin!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pras said:

Can I like this comment twice?

Only if you explain it once!

53 minutes ago, dpamlin said:

I may not have 2000+ posts (or even an avi here!), but that doesn't mean I lack a decent palette.  I have had ramen/wonton soup/other soup from Daikaya on a dozen occasions, from Toki several times, from some of my Rockville spots (Bob's, A&J), etc. so its not like I don't have points for comparison.  On taste alone, in my personal opinion, that soup from the Source is head and shoulders above.  And you still have not confirmed whether you in fact have had this dish.

You have *nothing* to prove, dpamlin - with the exception of a *tiny* number people that I can think of, the very, very best palates I know of (and I mean the absolute, tip-top, cream-of-the-crop) have made zero posts here.

38 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Why is it that I know that you've praised this noodle soup before but you have no idea whether I've had this soup?

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I don't understand what you're asking (or why)!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Less than 6 months ago, we had this same discussion already (just scroll back one page two pages). 

Seems like it - the reason for this conversation's existence is completely going over my head - maybe I'm just having a bad day.

That said, I have tried, and I would be *delighted* to have a Beijing or Shanghai forum, and it can be written in Mandarin or even Shanghainese if that will attract people from China - I would *much* rather have it in a foreign language (or a combination of languages) and be native. If anyone knows of people in these two cities that might be interested, just have them write me. My table-tennis coach speaks less English than I speak Mandarin (he's actually from Shanghai), and we're able to communicate with just a few words, hand signals, and Google Translate - it could work and I'm willing to try.

And don't think I haven't thought about a Paris forum, in French. I'm also teaching myself Spanish, and could be fully prepped in about five years (although a Spanish-speaking Forum Host makes a lot more sense). I have about as much chance of learning Mandarin as I do going to McDonald's on Mars.

29 minutes ago, pras said:

First you buy some Mambo Cologne, then read this which tries to explain the meaning of Hit 'em with the Hein.

I want to have sex with Paris Hilton.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I would be *delighted* to have a Beijing or Shanghai forum, and it can be written in Mandarin or even Shanghainese if that will attract people from China - I would *much* rather have it in a foreign language (or a combination of languages) and be native.

The characters for the two dialects are the same, so it would probably be slightly less complicated than you're expecting.

Sorry -- off topic. I haven't had the soup.

14 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

If you make some weird fusion food, it could justify a higher price and people will eat it up.

But won ton noodle soup is an actual Chinese soup, just not a true straight up won ton soup as he seems to peddling it. Also common in Japanese ramen as wantan men.

I think the problem here is summed up in another article  I read online about the outrage over Rob Schneider, yes, the actor, posting a picture of the "paella" he was making for dinner. The article mentions Jamie Oliver posting a recipe for paella which was considered significantly inauthentic, as are many recipes posted in English for paella. Key is the responsibility of chefs, particularly non-ethnic ones representing another ethnicity's food to do it correctly. If they are goingt o change things, don't call it the original, note that it is fusion or altered. What Drewno needs to do is call his soup wonton noodle soup, not straight wonton soup, and it seems it is more a Japanese stlye wantanmen than Chinese wonton soup with noodles. Nothing wrong with that, but needs to be clear, otherwise he is misleading those not as knowledgeable into thinking he is selling what should be thought of as "authentic" won ton soup, which it clearly is not.

Now, as for whether I would be willing to pay $16 for a bowl of soup, see my previous discussion about Momofuku ramen.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dinoue said:

But won ton noodle soup is an actual Chinese soup, just not a true straight up won ton soup as he seems to peddling it. Also common in Japanese ramen as wantan men.

I think the problem here is summed up in another article  I read online about the outrage over Rob Schneider, yes, the actor, posting a picture of the "paella" he was making for dinner. The article mentions Jamie Oliver posting a recipe for paella which was considered significantly inauthentic, as are many recipes posted in English for paella. Key is the responsibility of chefs, particularly non-ethnic ones representing another ethnicity's food to do it correctly. If they are goingt o change things, don't call it the original, note that it is fusion or altered. What Drewno needs to do is call his soup wonton noodle soup, not straight wonton soup, and it seems it is more a Japanese stlye wantanmen than Chinese wonton soup with noodles. Nothing wrong with that, but needs to be clear, otherwise he is misleading those not as knowledgeable into thinking he is selling what should be thought of as "authentic" won ton soup, which it clearly is not.

Now, as for whether I would be willing to pay $16 for a bowl of soup, see my previous discussion about Momofuku ramen.

American chefs/restaurants are far from alone in this.  Cultures everywhere adapt food to their specific tastes.*  I think the demand that chefs adhere to some ideal of authenticity is off-base. (Not implying that you are demanding that.)  I do think it is a good idea for a chef who is borrowing from another culture to display some humility and respect for the traditions and "masters" of that particular style of cuisine.  I don't know enough about Scott Drewno to know if he fits that bill. 

*A winning example of this here in Houston is the chicken fried steak served at Himalaya.

"The Best Chicken Fried Steak in Houston?" by James Brock on papercitymag.com

32 minutes ago, Josh said:

I do think it is a good idea for a chef who is borrowing from another culture to display some humility and respect for the traditions and "masters" of that particular style of cuisine.  I don't know enough about Scott Drewno to know if he fits that bill.

How does a chef prove or otherwise establish that he or she has sufficiently displayed humility or respect?  Especially those who don't get much or any media coverage?  Put one's CV or write a 500-word essay about food traditions on the menu or website?  Word of mouth?  Photos of the chef visiting certain countries?  I don't necessarily disagree with your statement but how are we consumers (foodie or not) supposed to discern accurately between food that reflects genuine borrowing/adaptation and something that is more superficial or mere marketing gloss?

29 minutes ago, silentbob said:

How does a chef prove or otherwise establish that he or she has sufficiently displayed humility or respect?  Especially those who don't get much or any media coverage?  Put one's CV or write a 500-word essay about food traditions on the menu or website?  Word of mouth?  Photos of the chef visiting certain countries?  I don't necessarily disagree with your statement but how are we consumers (foodie or not) supposed to discern accurately between food that reflects genuine borrowing/adaptation and something that is more superficial or mere marketing gloss?

I think mainly by not being an arrogant douchebag?  I don't have a specific set of actions/credentials in mind, but kind of a "know it when you see it" deal.  The Cochon 555 flap and Bon Appetit's pho misstep are illustrative for how NOT to go about it.

"Controversy Erupts Over Racially Insensitive Photo from Cochon 555..." by Missy Frederick on Eater.com

"Why the Outrage Over Bon Appetit's Pho Article is Completely Justified" by Kimberley Yam on Huffingtonpost.com

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I think mainly by not being an arrogant douchebag?  I don't have a specific set of actions/credentials in mind, but kind of a "know it when you see it" deal.  The Cochon 555 flap and Bon Appetit's pho misstep are illustrative for how NOT to go about it.

"Controversy Erupts Over Racially Insensitive Photo from Cochon 555..." by Missy Frederick on Eater.com

"Why the Outrage Over Bon Appetit's Pho Article is Completely Justified" by Kimberley Yam on Huffingtonpost.com

What you're described is marketing/promotion, I was talking more about the actual cooking, from ingredients to execution.  This may be straying from your original point, but personally speaking I want to know how a chef demonstrates humility and respect for cultural traditions in his or her adaptation of a dish.

To get back to the food at The Source for a second......

I, like many others, have always found that this place was a purveyor of very fine (authentic or not) Asian-inspired food.  My wife and I don't get nearly as many nights out as we used to, so we have to choose a bit more wisely when we go out.  One of the few restaurants that I find us going back to in lieu of trying new, exciting places (Hazel, Tail Up Goat, etc) is The Source, and more specifically, for its Whole Roasted Duckling for Two. My wife and I love roasted duck, and find ourselves ordering it more often than not when we see it on a menu.  The Source has proven to be our go-to, cut and presented in 3 styles; the breast sliced and accompanied by hoisin, 10 Spice salt, picked cucumber and radish, green onion, and last night a very nice blood orange salad in place of the usual huckleberry/plum mixture; the thigh and legs stir fried with baby bok choy in a black bean sauce; and lastly a largely forgettable duck bone broth soup and a solitary dumpling (rest assured that no one will be paying $16 for this tiny bowl of soup if it ever makes it as a standalone dish on the menu).  This entree is huge, and more than enough food for both of us, especially since we usually order it with a side of their fantastic Drunken Noodles. If you're a fan of Drewno's food but are turned off by the price tag of some of the other dishes on the menu, go try this combination next time, which is a large amount for under $100 for 2 people.

Also a shout out to our server Jose, who we have had the last 3 times that we have dined and is very gracious and helpful.  He always brings out an extra basket of their delicious scallion flower rolls after my wife and I scarf them down within seconds of getting the first ones. The place was somewhat empty, with only 5 tables including ours being served upstairs at 8:30.  One of those tables was Kwame Onwuachi and a friend, who I was surprised to see at first, but then I remembered that his calendar on weeknights had recently opened up! (Badum Bum) 

• Like 5

Went for dim sum after the Vermeer exhibit (go! It finishes up on Saturday the 20th!), my wife chose here to kick back and discuss what we'd just seen. A great place to do this. Some hits and some misses on the food front.

The pork belly sliders were kind of a miss. The overly salt focused mini donut the pork was seated upon was kind of a mess. We ordered this *and* they sent out an extra of this (before our ordered version). The first time we were overly salted out. The second time (wiser to dust off most of the 'powder' pf salts and other goodies encrusting the donut)they came out we were close to stuffed. So, a miss.

The steak and egg siu mai was not a miss, just ho hum.

The laquered bao buns were pretty tasty. The lobster and shrimp spring roll was fun, especially that dipping sauce. The potstickers and pork and cabbage dumplings were good. Same for the chicken wontons - sauce! The lobster and beet dumplings were quite, quite tasty. mmmm. But the piece de resistance were the shrimp and carrot dumplings and accompanying tamarind sauce. So damn good!

Will I hurry back here for dim sum or other meals - maybe not, but it certainly is not a bad way to discuss the Vermeer exhibit over, or any other day's events.

Good service for sure, as well, it should be noted.

• Like 2

I have not eaten here in many years. I used to love their happy hour in the bar, and I've had some good times here. I will admit, however, that I'm going to be hit a lot harder when a non corporate/chain restaurant closes permanently. Well, like Sushi Taro. 

• Like 1