World Cup 2014, June 12th - July 13th in Brazil

Tweaked

Well, well, well wasn't that fun.

It says a lot for Ghana - a country which would only be the 11th-largest state, in area, in the USA (although 3rd-largest in terms of population) - that they're so tough, and that it was quite a victory for us. I say, "Kudos to Ghana for being such a formidable team," and congratulations to our guys for being able to overcome them.

This is our oldest thread in the Sports Forum - it's nice to see it spring back to life. Thanks for masterminding it, Martin!

I haven't watched much World Cup to date.  I probably over indulged on watching the nba basketball playoffs.  Too much sports.

But I watched the Cameroon/Croatia match last night.  I've watched a good bit of football over the years.  Long long long ago I played competitively.

This foul was simply unbelievable, totally uncalled for and ultimately cost Cameroon a player for the bulk of the game.  Good thing they threw that person out.  The player was not on ball, simply running up the field, trailing the ball.  It was an attempt to hurt somebody with the hope that since they were trailing the play it wouldn't be seen.  Fortunately the ref caught it...on top of which it was seen on world wide TV.  An outrageous foul.....(and come to think of it--I unleashed some ugly fouls---> but never like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDYjmGNUkME

This foul was simply unbelievable, totally uncalled for and ultimately cost Cameroon a player for the bulk of the game.  Good thing they threw that person out.  The player was not on ball, simply running up the field, trailing the ball.  It was an attempt to hurt somebody with the hope that since they were trailing the play it wouldn't be seen.  Fortunately the ref caught it...on top of which it was seen on world wide TV.  An outrageous foul.....(and come to think of it--I unleashed some ugly fouls---> but never like this one.

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like David Song (from Cameroon) *tried* to hit him, but only grazed him, and Mario Mandzukic (from Croatia) totally flopped.

Why do I think this?

1) An elbow thrown at *that* angle when both players are running *that* fast isn't going to do any damage, and I don't care if the guy throwing it is Chuck Norris.

2) There was no loss of momentum in the arm when the elbow crossed the back - if he'd hit him with any force, the arm would not have continued to move downward without pause, but it did.

3) Mandzukic's grimace (and fall) occurred not on impact, but slightly afterwards. He felt *something*, but I don't think he felt much - he played it up to the max.

Yes, it was malicious regardless, but I say: flop.

• Like 1

I disagree, Don:

Based on the experience of being shoved from behind (shoved/slightly pushed, brushed--I couldn't tell--> it was from behind)

While running full speed, playing soccer

And going Sprawling as a result of the fall.

I recall it well.  It ended up in 2 broken wrists via small bones as a result of putting my hands out to break the completely unexpected shove that propelled my momentum.

Also, the pain was not as much when it hit.  The pain got progressively worse as I continued playing after the foul.  When one is flying from an unexpected shove, at least in my experience there is more initial surprise than hurt

When one is running and shoved from behind the momentum from running and the unexpected shove of any amount of force can really send you flying, at least in my experience.

I don't think that was a flop at all.   But that tomahawk chop from behind was danged vicious.  (by the way, I made my share of vicious fouls playing in some meaningful games.  Frustration can lead to some awful consequences.)

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like David Song (from Cameroon) *tried* to hit him, but only grazed him, and Mario Mandzukic (from Croatia) totally flopped......

......Yes, it was malicious regardless, but I say: flop.

I disagree, Don........Frustration can lead to some awful consequences.)

Song deserved the Red Card just for trying that hack move.....but I agree with Don, this was a grazing blow that Mandzukic sold.

On a side note......I went to go buy a USMNT away jersey two months ago and found the $150 price tag outrageous ($180 with a name and number). So I am hosting a viewing party and thought I'd get the grey and red training top. Couldn't find one. The blue shirt with American flag? Sold out. The white collared home jersey? Sold out. The $150 Red, White and Blue? Nada.

Exasperated, I jumped in a taxi this morning and went to the Nike Flagship in Georgetown, confident. They had T-Shirts, and virtually nothing else. And the very expensive Red, White, and Blue Away Jersey? The outrageously expensive $150 one (that I now covet) - they had them! 2 Men's XS and 3 men's XXXL. That's it. Amazing.

@B.A.R.   and @Don:   You guys can think what you wish.  Experience tells me that being "shoved" in some context from the back, while you are running so upsets one's equilibrium, and with the momentum you have created by your own running....even what may appear as a "glancing blow" can send you flying.

The effect of an a glancing blow is dramatically multiplied by the momentum of your own running.  :D  My ex broken wrists from such an experience can attest to that.

Were I a ref..."heaven forbid", I'd "double" red flag (were it possible) any sonovabitch that pulls that stunt.  Its quite dangerous in my experience.

Meanwhile, though I didn't watch the game nor did I tape or watch highlights It appeared that the American that broke his nose got kicked in the face.   The American appears to be possibly 6' or so.

Any sunovabitch playing that kicks in such a way to get his foot at face level or around 6' is almost always cognizant of what he is doing and trying to foul somebody.  (at least in my experience)...  I'd red flag those situations also (in most cases).  That is also dangerous.

Unfortunately I have to admit to doing things like that and having it done to me.  I think that one is far and away almost always deliberate.

(rant over)  :D

@B.A.R.   and @Don:   You guys can think what you wish.  

This is a simple truism - we can all always think what we wish.

Brian and I think he barely got touched (I think him reaching for his back while grimacing in pain is laughable); you think he got hammered and upended. That's why sometimes there are "panels" of judges instead of just one.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that the intent was there, and the red card was warranted.

The Ticos of Costa Rica take down Italy and become the first team from our little confederation to advance to this World Cup's knock out stage.   With Mexico and the U.S. (fingers crossed) sitting in good positions, could be a good World Cup for CONCACAF. 

Good match against Germany.  We advanced.  U.S.A.   All around good game.  Some tough misses at the end.    That goal by Germany was a damned good hard shot from distance.

A 1-0 loss against such a tough team (given that USA advanced) may be the best thing that could have happened.

Did anybody really think a month ago that we'd escape from this group? Maybe people did, but I didn't.

Meanwhile the player from Uruguay was banned from competition for 4 months for biting the player from Italy.  There has to be a connection with pasta or risotto or vino or more likely osso buco.

In fact this whole concept makes me hungry.

I had them losing to Belgium. I thought we would get past Portugal. If Bradley stays invisible, we have zero chance against Belgium. Their centerback/goalie combination is the best in the world right now, they have depth everywhere, and they are young, fast, and rested.

Spain/Italy were huge upsets, but the rest not so much. Brazil/Mexico was an easy pick in Group A. I had Spain/Netherlands in Group B; we got Netherlands/Chile. Columbia/Greece in C wasn't really an upset (Ivory Coast was overrated). D was a stunner - I certainly didn't have Costa Rica winning the group and Italy going home. But I did have Uruguay second. France/Switzerland was easy for E. Argentina was the pick for first in F; I took a flier on Nigeria for second and it paid off. Again, I had Germany/US in G, and then Belgium/Algeria in H.

To make it to the quarterfinals, I have Brazil, Uruguay, France, Germany, Spain (now dead), Italy (now dead), Argentina and Belgium.

Then Brazil over Uruguay, Germany over France, (Spain over Italy), and Argentina over Belgium. Then Argentina over Germany in the final.

• Like 1

I had them losing to Belgium. I thought we would get past Portugal. If Bradley stays invisible, we have zero chance against Belgium. Their centerback/goalie combination is the best in the world right now, they have depth everywhere, and they are young, fast, and rested.

Spain/Italy were huge upsets, but the rest not so much. Brazil/Mexico was an easy pick in Group A. I had Spain/Netherlands in Group B; we got Netherlands/Chile. Columbia/Greece in C wasn't really an upset (Ivory Coast was overrated). D was a stunner - I certainly didn't have Costa Rica winning the group and Italy going home. But I did have Uruguay second. France/Switzerland was easy for E. Argentina was the pick for first in F; I took a flier on Nigeria for second and it paid off. Again, I had Germany/US in G, and then Belgium/Algeria in H.

To make it to the quarterfinals, I have Brazil, Uruguay, France, Germany, Spain (now dead), Italy (now dead), Argentina and Belgium.

Then Brazil over Uruguay, Germany over France, (Spain over Italy), and Argentina over Belgium. Then Argentina over Germany in the final.

I'm no expert in soccer, but this seems pretty solid to me, or at least well-thought-out by someone who knows what they're doing.

oooohhhh....somebody who is in the know.  Nice picks.

Uruguay has lost their biting, chewing, Mike Tyson/wannabe, vampire, scoring star.   That could change things vis a vis Uruguay and their chances.

Italy and Spain--> big surprises.  Western hemisphere and Africa filled in.

I played/competed back in the day.  Any team with elite special scorers has a remarkable chance as scoring is so difficult.

What I really want to see now is the 4th guaranteed slot for CONCACAF at the next WC qualifier. Three of our four teams went through.

Considering Honduras got blown out of their group for a second WC in a row...I'd say the current 3.5 spots are a correct allocation for CONCACAF.

and, yeah, with out Suarez, Uruguay are a different team.  Not sure I see them beating Colombia on Saturday.

I also like the Dutch to advance, perhaps to the finals.  Although Mexico could be a tricky opponent, they played well in the Group stage.  One thing you'll be able to count on in the Netherlands v. Mexico match...lots of "simulation"!

Remember, these were picks I made before the tournament started. The bracket I'm in doesn't allow for changing picks at later rounds. If I get to pick the bracket now, I'd go with Brazil over Chile, Colombia over Uruguay, France over Nigeria, Germany over Algeria, Netherlands over Mexico, Greece over Costa Rica, Argentina over Switzerland, and (sorry) Belgium over the US. Final 4 Brazil, Germany, Netherlands, Argentina, and I still hold Argentina over Germany in the final.

Asia had 4.5 slots, sent 4 to Brazil. None made it past the first round.

Africa had 5 slots, sent 2 past the first round.

Concacaf had 3.5 slots, sent 4 to the WC, and 3 past the first round.

In my book, this should give CONCACAF at least the 4th full slot - they are the strongest of the 3 federations.

DonRocks says I have to comment here. He is not a man you say "no" to.

As has been the case since 1986, I want Germany to win the cup, but it doesn't look like this is going to happen. Too many issues with their formation of choice.

US of A will need to shut down Hazard at least as well as they handled Ronaldo ( via a group effort ) in order to get past Belgium, and be perfect defensively on set pieces against Fellain and Co.

DonRocks says I have to comment here. He is not a man you say "no" to.

As has been the case since 1986, I want Germany to win the cup, but it doesn't look like this is going to happen. Too many issues with their formation of choice.

US of A will need to shut down Hazard at least as well as they handled Ronaldo ( via a group effort ) in order to get past Belgium, and be perfect defensively on set pieces against Fellain and Co.

Considering you've watched every single World Cup game ever played in ... what, 20 years? ... and that you took 1-2 weeks off from work every single time, just to watch every single game ... you *must* participate in this thread, sir. Your "corporate memory" of the World Cup is as great as anyone's.

Considering you've watched every single World Cup game ever played in ... what, 20 years? ... and that you took 1-2 weeks off from work every single time, just to watch every single game ... you *must* participate in this thread, sir. Your "corporate memory" of the World Cup is as great as anyone's.

"What's the first thing you remember?" ( Rosencranz and Guildenstern Are Dead) ).

The first thing I remember, just as a flash, is sitting on my father's lap at the age of 2 and watching the 1966 final between Germany and England on a black and white TV that my uncle had put together with his own hands. Must have made an impression.

Growing up in the USSR, I had no access to written information about the history of WC. My father knew it all, somehow, and these were my bedtime stories - the fall of the great Hungary in '54, Uruguay's late goal to deny Brasil at the Maracana in '50 when the newspapers had already declared them champions, the political climate during Italy's wins in the 1930s, the rise of Pele whom my father saw play once as a teenager. These might as well have been stories from the Greek Mythology, with their heroes and demi-gods.

The first world cup I watched more or less in it's entirety was in 1978.

My outlook has changed somewhat in that when you follow European clubs, you tend to sympathize with your favorite players no matter what country they represent here. The game itself has been globalized as well to an extent, what with most of the best playing in the same big clubs, and yet the distinctive national styles of play are still a huge attraction. My favorite example was the game between Colombia and Ivory Coast - the only thing in common was that they were following the same game rules.

and yet the distinctive national styles of play are still a huge attraction. My favorite example was the game between Colombia and Ivory Coast - the only thing in common was that they were following the same game rules.

@ Sasha K.  Admittedly I only watch the game sporadically.  How are these two national styles so different?  That statement alone would spur me to watch that game (are they taped stored and available) just to follow your commentary.

"Everyone wants to eat Italian" was one of the creative ads run by various businesses following the bite of a member of the Italian World Cup team by now banned Uruguayan controversial star, Luis Suarez.

Several companies jumped on the advertising bandwagon ... and rightfully so, IMHO.

For those at dr.com ... Suarez has yet to write a review of his meal at the stadium.

Brazil/Chile.  120 minutes.  2 hours.  For those that played the entire game my hats off to them.  That is a friggin long time to be competitively sprinting, running, kicking, defending, passing etc.

Its brutal.

To all the players in that match in that heat.   Great effort.

Watched the Netherlands beat Costa Rica in Penalty Kicks.  Must admit I've been a fan of Netherlands since I saw Cruyff play in the US in the early 1980's.  Cruyff is one of the legendary stars of soccer, an excellent dribbler, passer and could score.  He is generally placed toward the top of all soccer stars over the generations.

Cruyff is also one of the developers of the Tiki-Taka style of soccer, which the Spanish developed to the extreme over these last few years...partly as a result of Cruyff's influence and coaching.  He more or less helped create it with others in the 1970's.

I must admit to rooting for the Netherlands (after the US).  Three times a finalist.  Never a winner.  That is a team that needs a victory.

The Dutch used a tiki-taka style during this game to dominate the ball.  They are not as artistic as were the Spanish during their hey day, that ended this year.  Costa Rica did a fine job of defense, limiting shots in total, and when there were shots making them difficult.  On top of that they featured one of the best goalies in the World Cup this year.

Long damn game.  120 minutes...then a penalty kick competition.   Good game for the Dutch to win...tough game for Costa Rica to lose.

Boom.

Boom.

I am a huge fan of Arjen Robben and believe he is more important to the Dutch than Messi is to the Argentinians.  This has the potential to be the most exciting of all the games because of these two.  One comment about Brazil w/o Neymar:  Germany is without Marco Reus who many believe is Neymar's equal for Germany.  Reus is certainly Deutschland's most creative player and along with Lewandowski allowed Dortmund second place in the Bundesliga.  I should also note that Bayern will probably start seven of the eleven German players.

Jeepers (or much stronger language)   having played the game I have ultimate respect for scorers.  Its the most difficult skill.  In the midst of a high speed game to twist, twirl, turn, and blast a hard and accurate shot on goal amid fast moving hard playing defenders is simply difficult.  Its ultimately why scores are so low.

Germany has just made mince meat of that concept.  They simply shredded Brazil.  Astounding at such a level of expertise.

Was Germany that good or was Brazil that bad?  Sometimes its hard to tell.  I was watching replays.  On the 4th goal, that was an extraordinary give and go pass play...what you see in basketball all the time and rarely see in Soccer.  The fifth goal also had some incredible passing.  The final goal by Germany was an excellent shot off of a ball in the air maybe calf or knee high.  Tremendous shot.  I'd bet 75% of shots off a ball like that go high.

Germany had the goal scoring gods working on their behalf today.  Zounds.

Germany has just made mince meat of that concept.  They simply shredded Brazil.  Astounding at such a level of expertise.

And you wrote your post at halftime!  I almost used some strong language myself during the first half just out of sheer shock, and during the second my comments turned into wonder (although I think Brazil got a bit more aggressive in the second half as they played for their pride).  I think this match will be discussed and dissected for years to come, particularly the impact of absences on Brazil's side.  But like Spain going out in the first round so decisively, a loss of this magnitude that set so many records was very much unexpected.

Sorry for the sudden bombardment of a few vacation pictures, but I had fun down there

[Edit: I went ahead and put your captions on top of each photo. Cheers, Rocks]

Photo 1: Ponta Negra Beach in Natal (home base near the point, just about the closest point to Africa, where the US-Ghana game was played):

10347715_10102801593965088_1255849955016

Photo 2: US-Ghana:

10464008_10102801298582038_5915169201815

Photos 3 & 4: Pipa Beach (30 miles down the coast from Natal)

10489671_10102801436410828_2408002843130

10464284_10102801435527598_6056731959402

Photo 5: Suarez holding his mouth after the infamous bite during Italy-Uruguay

10478559_10102801653715348_9093434091368

Photo 6: Dune buggy ride through the dunes north of Natal:

10425189_10102801714862808_7983887522969

Photos 7 & 8: From right after the US-Germany game

10509511_10102801758300758_6494372377150

10430383_10102801753485408_2369753097453

• Like 1