Butchers

mr food

I'm looking for a good butcher. I need to place an order for some pork belly, fat back and duck fat... and a few other items that are not your typical supermarket fair. Yet, I don't have a good person for this. If you folks have good suggestions, then it would be very much appreciated. I'm a VA side person so in DC or in VA is better. Thanks!

I'm looking for a good butcher. I need to place an order for some pork belly, fat back and duck fat... and a few other items that are not your typical supermarket fair. Yet, I don't have a good person for this. If you folks have good suggestions, then it would be very much appreciated. I'm a VA side person so in DC or in VA is better. Thanks!

You can try the Springfield Butcher. They are right near the mixing bowl.

If you need any cheese to go with things, you can order a bucket of great duck fat (and very good duck legs) from Cheesetique.

I don't how hard it is to find goat or mutton, but I've never had much luck until recently. The Jasmine Bazaar (1335 University Blvd E, previously known as House of Spices) now has a halal butcher where you can buy goat, mutton, and lamb. A wide variety of cuts are available. I can't wait to start making some mangsho johl (homestyle mutton curry)!!

I don't how hard it is to find goat or mutton, but I've never had much luck until recently. The Jasmine Bazaar (1335 University Blvd E, previously known as House of Spices) now has a halal butcher where you can buy goat, mutton, and lamb. A wide variety of cuts are available. I can't wait to start making some mangsho johl (homestyle mutton curry)!!

Fresh goat is always available at the Lebanese Butcher and Halalco, two back-to-back stores in Falls Church. Lebanese Butcher may have mutton, too. Not sure about that. Frozen goat can be sourced from Cibola Farms at local farmers markets. I've also seen frozen goat meat at various Asian markets, but it has always looked nasty.

My experience is that any Asian or Latin market will have pork belly and fat back. You might try Great Wall Supermarket, very near the Gallows Rd./Rt 50 intersection and about two minutes from the Beltway. Regarding duck fat, I've never seen it priced less than exhorbitantly ($16.00/lb here). Probabably no more expensive in cost for ounce to buy whole ducks and render your own fat, while preparing a series of delicious and seasonally appropriate meals. You can get mass quantities decent ducks at Great Wall, very near...

You're not making cassoulet are you? I'm beginning that project myself, and just popped into Great Wall this weekend (couldn't tell, could you?) for a couple of ducks and ended up buying some of the most beautiful pork belly I've seen in a long time. Tonight: Duck breast and Asian pear chutney. Next weekend: duck braised in Sauternes (Greak Muscat, actually, but same concept). We'll save the fat from browning the parts and render the carcasses in the oven, probably getting about a pint and a half of fat altogether for a cost of under $30.

$12.50 for a two-pound bucket from Hudson Valley Foie Gras

That's not a bad deal at all. Not as much fun as eating duck but vastly more affordable than the other places I've seen it.

ETA: Of course, once I decided decided to buy it I found an apparently mandatory $27.50 shipping charge, so unless you're ordering in bulk, the price jumps real quick. Alas.

That's not a bad deal at all. Not as much fun as eating duck but vastly more affordable than the other places I've seen it.

ETA: Of course, once I decided decided to buy it I found an apparently mandatory $27.50 shipping charge, so unless you're ordering in bulk, the price jumps real quick. Alas.

I forgot to mention that when I received my order, they tossed in a two-pound duck breast. Yeah, I would have preferred it if they had tossed in some foie gras, but still, it was very, very tasty.

How about Bev Eggleston from Eco-Friendly? He's very extroverted and loves to talk. He not only butchers and makes sausage and smoked pork, he's the real deal--he does the slaughtering, too. He's often at his stall at the Dupont Farmers Market (closest meat purveyor to Mass Ave.) and if he isn't there, Bruce will tell you how to reach him.

Planning on making a nice steak tonight (not my usual thing so I defer to the experts) - is there anywhere in SS/Bethesda to get something nice besides paying the premium at Whole Foods or Balducci's? I usually frequent Sniders, however haven't bought much beef there. Do they have any good stuff?

Second question - is there a significant difference between choice and prime cuts, as well as regular and dry aged?

Planning on making a nice steak tonight (not my usual thing so I defer to the experts) - is there anywhere in SS/Bethesda to get something nice besides paying the premium at Whole Foods or Balducci's? I usually frequent Sniders, however haven't bought much beef there. Do they have any good stuff?

Second question - is there a significant difference between choice and prime cuts, as well as regular and dry aged?

Difficult to admit, but the premium for Whole Foods' dry aged is generally worth it. And yes, there's a world of difference (Buy two and cook them together to see if it's worth it to you).

Difficult to admit, but the premium for Whole Foods' dry aged is generally worth it. And yes, there's a world of difference (Buy two and cook them together to see if it's worth it to you).
As someone who shops at Snider's and Whole Paycheck weekly, I agree with Waitman. Even the non-aged at Whole Paycheck is worth the extra money when compared with Snider's steaks.

As someone who shops at Snider's and Whole Paycheck weekly, I agree with Waitman. Even the non-aged at Whole Paycheck is worth the extra money when compared with Snider's steaks.
I've never purchased meat at Snider's, but did splurge on a whim for the aged steak at WF. There is a definite difference in flavor. It's not something I would spend the extra bucks on all the time, but for a splurge for a good steak, I would say to go for it. (Aside from the other splurge option--of picking up a raw steak from RTC)

Not that it's exactly puppy chow, but I've always been vaguely disappointed in Wagshal's beef. Never seemed to have enough age. Could be the luck of the draw but, as someone willing to spend a little time behind the wheel to get good beef, the car never seems to point itself there any more.

I stopped in at The Organic Butcher of McLean today to order a Polyface turkey. (I can't get an Eco-Friendly bird, because I'd have to pick it up the Sunday before T-day, and don't have refrigerator space to keep it.) Don Roden, at OBofMcL is also selling certified organic turkeys from Wisconsin.

While I was there, I picked up a pack of four D'Artagnan moulard duck legs to confit (first time I've seen them for sale not already confited). And he's got veal cheeks, just came in today. I bought some of those, too. And some pork fat to make lard to confit the duck legs in. I'm'a be cookin' some meat this week--I'm expecting my neighbor to bring me some venison shoulder so I can make a braise for a dinner party we're having at his house on Saturday.

Does anyone know a shop (or grocery store) that sells smoked turkey wings? I'm planning on using them to make some stock for the holiday but can't seem to find them (I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post in...figuring a butcher shop may have them) in the area. Anywhere in DC/NOVA/MD is fine but in the district or NOVA would be ideal.

Does anyone know a shop (or grocery store) that sells smoked turkey wings? I'm planning on using them to make some stock for the holiday but can't seem to find them (I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post in...figuring a butcher shop may have them) in the area. Anywhere in DC/NOVA/MD is fine but in the district or NOVA would be ideal.

Maybe not wings, but I know that I have seen smoked turkey legs at various Whole Paychecks.

Shoppers Food Warehouse has had them in the past.

wegmans has them. they usually have booth wings and legs.

Have you looked in a Giant-Safeway-Harris Teeter-Shoppers Food Warehouse? I've seen smoked turkey wings/necks/drumsticks in many standard markets. They are commonly used in Southern/soul food recipes for greens and beans, by people who for various reasons, don't want to use the more traditional pork smoked hocks or necks.

Have you looked in a Giant-Safeway-Harris Teeter-Shoppers Food Warehouse? I've seen smoked turkey wings/necks/drumsticks in many standard markets. They are commonly used in Southern/soul food recipes for greens and beans, by people who for various reasons, don't want to use the more traditional pork smoked hocks or necks.

I had checked at the Giant (Van Ness) and Harris Teeter (Ballston). Neither had them (when I asked if I could order them I didn't receive much of a response)...I checked with Wegmans earlier this am (Fairfax) and they have them. Thanks for the suggestions.

I remember seeing these all the time at one of the Eastern market poultry vendors.

The Whole Foods in Old Town Alexandria has them. I'm blanking on where they're from, though...A Farm in PA that starts with a "K," I think. They're very good, and the store usually has them in stock. I just cooked one up in a pot of beans a couple of days ago.

ETA: Just remembered. Koch's. http://www.kochsturkey.com/products.html

I had checked at the Giant (Van Ness) and Harris Teeter (Ballston). Neither had them (when I asked if I could order them I didn't receive much of a response)...I checked with Wegmans earlier this am (Fairfax) and they have them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Crazy. The Teeter on Glebe over in Ballston did have them a few weeks ago. The Giant on South Glebe (down by Gold's and near Slavin's) and the Giant on S. Jefferson off of Columbia Pike has the wings too. I know the Giant in Oakton and in Vienna have had them in the past. I've been using smoked ham hocks in my soups lately and they are near each other. They also carry the smoked turkey legs at these locations.

Does anyone know of a good butcher or have a Butcher shop or a good specialty meat shop? Where can people get special meats, fish, poultry, or game? I'm lost. I've looked online some but a lot of the 'butchers' (I'm not sure that they really are butchers) have bad reviews, like flies, off putting smells( as in a rotten smell), and poor service. I'm new to the "foodie scene" i.e the go-to places for restaurants and stores but I'm seasoned in the kitchen. :)

Long intro short If you know good or horrible places to buy meats and fish share :)

Does anyone know of a good butcher or have a Butcher shop or a good specialty meat shop? Where can people get special meats, fish, poultry, or game? Long intro short If you know good or horrible places to buy meats and fish share.

First part for me always, before recommending any place is knowing where you are located and how far you are willing to travel.

Does anyone know of a good butcher or have a Butcher shop or a good specialty meat shop? Where can people get special meats, fish, poultry, or game?

In northern Virginia, you may want to check out Let's Meat on the Avenue in Del Ray or the Butcher Shop at Westover Market in Arlington (not too far from Falls Church). Each should have a thread on the board. Let's Meat may have a little more in the way of game and the Butcher Shop specializes in 'clean' meat from small family farms. Wagshal's in Spring Valley may be another option, but I've never shopped there.

In northern Virginia, you may want to check out Let's Meat on the Avenue in Del Ray or the Butcher Shop at Westover Market in Arlington (not too far from Falls Church). Each should have a thread on the board. Let's Meat may have a little more in the way of game and the Butcher Shop specializes in 'clean' meat from small family farms. Wagshal's in Spring Valley may be another option, but I've never shopped there.

Definitely call Steve at Let's Meat for game. Whatever he doesn't have he can usually get within a day or two, and he does specialize in game or other less-common meats.

First part for me always, before recommending any place is knowing where you are located and how far you are willing to travel.

Careful consideration of the OP's V-screen name, with it's suspiciously Don-like orthographical variation, can easily lead you to conclude that he/she may most likely be located within the G(reater)Lands of Montgomery. I would suggest limiting the search to a tight radial zone.

Careful consideration of the OP's V-screen name, with it's suspiciously Don-like orthographical variation, can easily lead you to conclude that he/she may most likely be located within the G(reater)Lands of Montgomery. I would suggest limiting the search to a tight radial zone.

What the hell is a V-screen name? That was Carol Blymire!

"V" is a clue as to which letter must be removed to begin to peel the onion...
Who joined 10-11-10?

You're talking about Variola Major (which is a lethal variant of small pox). If it was me (or some variant of me), it wouldn't be small POCKS.

And don't think for a moment that I'm not mourning the loss of John Leslie, with whom I only worked twice, but the guy was an all-around good egg. Smarter than you think, too.

Just started reading Odd Bits, by Jennifer McLagan, and find myself wondering where to buy the strange meat parts she is talking about. For example, and this may be a bridge too far, boned and rolled calf head. Who but our own Julien Shapiro would make one?

How about brains, sweetbreads, and other more common things? Especially from humanely raised animals?

Sadly, the former owner of Let's Meat on the Avenue retired. The lady at the counter said he got married and his wife inherited $14 million, and he moved away. I deduced that the people there are not skilled butchers when they could not tell me which part of a brisket was the point and which the flat.

So, looking for an uncommonly good butcher shop with a good, old-fashioned butcher. Do they still exist?

Just started reading Odd Bits, by Jennifer McLagan, and find myself wondering where to buy the strange meat parts she is talking about. For example, and this may be a bridge too far, boned and rolled calf head. Who but our own Julien Shapiro would make one?

How about brains, sweetbreads, and other more common things? Especially from humanely raised animals?

Sadly, the former owner of Let's Meat on the Avenue retired. The lady at the counter said he got married and his wife inherited $14 million, and he moved away. I deduced that the people there are not skilled butchers when they could not tell me which part of a brisket was the point and which the flat.

So, looking for an uncommonly good butcher shop with a good, old-fashioned butcher. Do they still exist?

FIFY

Don at Organic Butcher of McLean

Pam the Butcher at Wagshal's.

Union Meat at Eastern Market

Harvey's Meats at Union Market

Jamie Stachowski

Red Apron

Three Little Pigs Charcuterie

Any of the above could probably special order what you want. Jamie, Nate at Red Apron and 3LP all do charcuterie.

Pam the Butcher at Wagshal's.

Any of the above could probably special order what you want. Jamie, Nate at Red Apron and 3LP all do charcuterie.

I love Pam. She makes the very best chopped liver, and very very best corned beef. Go see her.