Josh

Sushi Capitol - Owner Can Yurdagul's Sushi on Pennsylvania Avenue and 4th Street on SE Capitol Hill

I drove by yesterday and saw that the windows were papered over. Anyone know what is happening with Sushi Capitol?

16 minutes ago, bgn said:

I drove by yesterday and saw that the windows were papered over. Anyone know what is happening with Sushi Capitol?

Had dinner there last weekend and Can was back as the GM. He told us they were planning to close for a few days to give the space a bit of a touch up, including a new counter. 

• Like 1

Friends of mine who were at the Tune Inn last night said this was open and people were going in and out. etc.

57 minutes ago, Pat said:

Friends of mine who were at the Tune Inn last night said this was open and people were going in and out. etc.

Can is GM and, as of Dec 1, 2019, sole owner of the business - furthermore, he now owns the building, which reopened after fairly major renovations. They're doing nightly service at Mirai, and will soon be unveiling a third DC location (you heard it here first).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had dinner at Sushi Capitol last night with some friends. Scrolling through this thread, I noticed that before our last visit mid-February, my last review of Sushi Capitol was April 2017. It's not that we hadn't gone there since, it was just that there was not much to write home about. The fish, while good, had stopped being as exciting and we felt like we were getting the same nigiri each time. After two visits, I can say that Can's ownership of Sushi Capitol has breathed new life into the place. 

Under the new chef, Chef B, we enjoyed some creative nigiri such as red snapper with grated egg yolk on top, Maine uni with some grapefruit, and tuna marinated in citrus/soy sauce. We also had some traditional nigiri (o-toro and mackerel), and experienced some new and/or interesting fish like needlefish and gizzard shad. The fish was amazing and we had a great time. Can't wait to go back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1