Boeuf Bourguignon

Barbara

Julia Child's recipe will be used, once again, for dinner on NYE. I've served it with egg noodles before, but am not entirely happy with those.  Other kinds of pasta just seem wrong somehow.

Does anybody have any ideas on what else to use? No gluten or dairy restrictions are at issue here.

Julia Child's recipe will be used, once again, for dinner on NYE. I've served it with egg noodles before, but am not entirely happy with those.  Other kinds of pasta just seem wrong somehow.

Does anybody have any ideas on what else to use? No gluten or dairy restrictions are at issue here.

This is one of the best dishes that I make.  I'd even suggest it is one of the best things I've ever tasted. But, for me, the absolutely essential part is serious, intensely reduced beef stock (i.e. 12 quarts down to 2 or so).  Emeril's beef stock is outstanding.  It is also a literal day day long  production in and of itself but is eminently worth it.  This is the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/beef-stock-recipe/index.html

Serious work and expense, too.  Marrow bones are not cheap.

I do not "dilute" the taste with anything.  It has its own bowl.  Anything else is on the side.

I must also note that I have made this with Balducci's and Whole Foods beef stock and they don't approach what it will taste like if you follow Emeril's recipe without any shortcuts.  Marrow bones.

Joe, since Emeril suggests discarding the fat (which we actually do not), if using marrow bones, I would pause at the point where the marrow was well-roasted, and take out the marrow to eat as one does, on a piece of toast or on a steak, then continue roasting the bones.  The idea of discarding good marrow fat makes me shudder.

We don't throw out the beef fat after making the stock, either.  We pour it into a container, refrigerate it, and use it for cooking.  It's great for browning beef or cooking a steak, better than butter or oil.  Tallow is what it's called.

A good butcher will gladly sell you sawed off pieces of marrow bones, which he will keep in the freezer for you if you ask.

We simmer all the roasted bones and aromatics in a couple of very large crock pots for at least 12 hours, or more.  This is one thing that the crock pot does well.  You can sleep peacefully without fear of burning the broth, although the smell will permeate the entire house and may disturb your sleep.

I would also use meaty shanks when making this broth.  I think the meat adds flavor.  Roast them with the marrow bones.  Consider short ribs, as well.

Back to the boeuf bourguignon.  I would serve with roasted or boiled gold potatoes on the side, not mashed.  You can crush the potatoes with your fork.  Transcendent.

Though probably not traditional, I always serve this (in fact, that particular recipe, which I love) with mashed or whipped potatoes, which absorbs the liquid better than any pasta would.

That was my first thought.  Thanks for the validation. (I'll leave the discussion of making stock to others).

Joe, since Emeril suggests discarding the fat (which we actually do not), if using marrow bones, I would pause at the point where the marrow was well-roasted, and take out the marrow to eat as one does, on a piece of toast or on a steak, then continue roasting the bones.  The idea of discarding good marrow fat makes me shudder.

We don't throw out the beef fat after making the stock, either.  We pour it into a container, refrigerate it, and use it for cooking.  It's great for browning beef or cooking a steak, better than butter or oil.  Tallow is what it's called.

A good butcher will gladly sell you sawed off pieces of marrow bones, which he will keep in the freezer for you if you ask.

We simmer all the roasted bones and aromatics in a couple of very large crock pots for at least 12 hours, or more.  This is one thing that the crock pot does well.  You can sleep peacefully without fear of burning the broth, although the smell will permeate the entire house and may disturb your sleep.

I would also use meaty shanks when making this broth.  I think the meat adds flavor.  Roast them with the marrow bones.  Consider short ribs, as well.

Back to the boeuf bourguignon.  I would serve with roasted or boiled gold potatoes on the side, not mashed.  You can crush the potatoes with your fork.  Transcendent.

Ilaine,  forgive me, but one question:  where does Emeril say to "discard the fat?"  I believe that he only states, as an afterthought to "skim off any fat that has risen to the surface."  The amount of this is  a couple of tablespoons, if that.  This is a rich, rich stock.

"Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the bones on a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and brush with the tomato paste. Lay the vegetables over the bones. Return to the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Place the pan on the stove and deglaze with the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan for browned particles. Put this mixture in a large stock pot. Add the peppercorns, garlic, and herbs. Season with salt. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 4 hours. Remove from the heat and skim off any fat that has risen to the surface. Strain the liquid and discard the bones.

Robuchon, in his eponymous cookbook, has a very good recipe for BB that I made just a few weeks ago. It was the best one I've ever made, including Julia's. I haven't tried Emeril's, but it sounds great. Especially for an ingredient-driven approach like Robuchon's, having a deep, concentrated stock is essential. I use Madeleine Kamman's technique for veal stock, which, by the time I'm done with it, is an unctuous, chocolate-colored, gelatinous essence verging on a glace. No bones involved except for what's already in the veal breast used in the recipe. There's no way I'd even consider making a stock-braised beef dish without already having this on hand--too much work at one time otherwise. Such a good stock reduces the need for flour to achieve the proper body, and is required for giving the pearl onions and the entire dish their proper color.

As for sides, I think parsleyed noodles can't be beat. Potatoes in whatever form just make everything too heavy IMO.