I don't think they take reservations, but we also got there before opening at 11 am.  When we left around 12:30, the place was close to full but I don't think there was a wait or anything like that.  Plus there's a huge outdoor seating area, so if you go when the weather is decent, it should be all good.

Just looked at their hours (after your posting).  As we leave Brooklyn heading south on a weekday (Jan 2nd) & get to Richmond after 4pm, it does seem unlikely that we're going to get to try this place unless our return trip in late March brings us to Richmond on a weekend.  Oh well.

After visiting Agecroft Hall (a Tudor mansion moved here from England), we visited ZZQ.  It's located in an industrial looking neighborhood devoid of trees.  After you walk in, you realize it's even less of a sit down restaurant than Hill Country.  At Hill Country, you sit, you order drinks and then you go fetch your own food.  At ZZQ, you go through a line and order your food cafeteria style.  First you order the meats, then the hot sides, then the cold sides, and then they have soft drinks and Lone Star beer.  If you want something boozy other Lone Star, you have to order your drink from the bar on the opposite side of the room.  And you have to get your own silverware.  They do bus your table after you eat. 

So we had moist brisket, pork ribs, and beef rib.  The best was the brisket, which was pretty good but I still don't think it's better than Texas Jack or Hill Country.  The pork ribs were sweet and I don't much care for them.  The beef rib was also pretty good and I'm just glad they have them, since it's hard to get them in DC.  Finally, they's charging DC prices.  I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to eat here again when I can get some damn good BBQ in Arlington.

We had dinner at Maple & Pine in the Quirk hotel.  It's located in the lobby of the hotel and I find that lack of privacy odd.  The food was pretty good and mildly creative.  

For breakfast, hit Perly's again.  It's apparently very popular with the goyim - who tend to order typical brunch dishes as opposed to tongue, kishka, knish, etc.  I like the option of being able to order just some meat for $4 per order.  Thought their corn beef, pastrami and roast beef were all pretty decent.  The latkes were bland though.  I don't know why they were not seasoned at all.  And this might be the only deli that doesn't give you a ton of cream cheese when you order a bagel with cream cheese.  

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2016 at 6:57 AM, DonRocks said:

I haven't been to Edo's Squid in about three years, but it was truly a wonderful experience when I went - the squid itself is wonderful (order off the chalkboard "specials" menu), and the atmosphere is just *fun*.

Patron Permanently Banned From Edo’s Squid for Requesting an Ingredient Substitution, September 3, 2017, on thepeedmont.com.

Webster attempted to order a pasta dish with broccoli instead of the standard mushrooms. “Our server left immediately and then came back a few minutes later with a manager and two of the line cooks,” Webster said.

The staff brought her outside, suggested that she rethink her behavior when it comes to ordering food at restaurants, and then asked her to never return to Edo’s Squid again. One witness noted that the servers took Webster’s driver’s license and scanned it for their records.

Not sure why the server didn't just tell Webster that no substitution is allowed.  I assume there are other facts missing in this story.

You all do realize that the article was published in a satire site, right?  Never happened.

Not that, based on our 1 dinner there, it couldn't.  That's what makes the article good satire.

We'll be going back this winter on our way to or from Florida.  I'll let you know if they do a good pasta w/broccoli. 😇

50 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

You all do realize that the article was published in a satire site, right?  Never happened.

Fake news!  I was definitely Trumped.

We went back to ZZQ for a late lunch the other day. Brisket was the same smoky goodness as always but the big winner was a caramelized onion pie, most likely a daily special that may not be there anymore. It was basically an oversized tart with rich onion filling. Our five year-old nearly finished a whole piece of brisket after not wanting any last time, so that’s gotta be a win.

Spent a couple of days in Richmond between Christmas and New Year's. A late lunch at Edo's Squid was tremendous. I love the laid back vibe, and the place was nearly empty at 1:30 on a weekday afternoon. I started with the broccolini with garlic and red pepper. It was drowning in olive oil but remained crisp and spicy. For a main, I ordered the spaghetti with clams. This was also covered in olive oil and contained an absurd (but absurdly delicious) amount of garlic. I couldn't finish it but came close. On our way out, three servers were gathered around a table hand peeling hundreds of cloves of garlic which went into a giant basket. I wish we had a place like this in DC.

On our way out of town, we finally went to ZZQ. I wondered if this would live up to the hype, but they managed to surpass it. Their brisket is second only to Franklin's in terms of the best I've ever had. It has a perfect amount of smoke. The turkey was extremely juicy, and I also loved their house made sausages. We tried the hot guts sausage, and a queso fuego which was their daily special. Both were loosely packed but with a good amount of fat. This is a special place, and I suspect it will get even more attention and acclaim over the next couple of years. If you're near Richmond, you owe yourself a chance to try it. (Sorry, the picture is a little bigger than I intended.)

ZZQ.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[Belated post from a mid-October overnight visit]

Thank you thank you thank you all for this magnificent thread. Having only one day to try a sampling of spots, I pulled almost exclusively from here and it did not disappoint. We spent the afternoon cruising through a couple breweries and then did dinner and a couple drinks.

Breweries: Hardywood Brewery, Veil Brewing Co., The Answer Brewpub, Buskey Cider, Blue Bee Cider

Dinner: Brenner Pass

Lodging: Clarion Hotel Central (<-- decidedly NOT recommended)

I'm big on cider. Buskey's products are all fairly flavorless, and they seem averse to taking risks and embracing some of the funky, interesting heritage apples available -- though it is a cool space, pretty ideal for groups, and nearby other hangs. Blue Bee is decidedly a step up. Hardywood had my favorite beers of the day; Veil is seemingly the cool kids hang; Answer Brewpub isn't "pretty" but has the best selection. Brenner Pass was solid top-to-bottom (save a brief delay in taking our drink order after seating) and a remarkable value to boot...am I that jaded by DC prices?!

If we get back, definitely want to hit ZZQ (obviously), L'opossum, Edo's, Metzger Bar and maybe try one of the cocktail-focused spots like Rogue or The Jasper.

Last week, we once again made Richmond our 1st stop on our way down to Florida.  On a recommendation from an eG member who lives there, we ate at Brenner Pass.  As I’ve already told her, everything we had was excellent.  I especially loved my pasta with a chicken liver mousse “sauce”, while my wife’s duck was similarly excellent.  Although I’m not particularly fond of the coldish industrial look & feel, the food more than made up for it.  So, I fully agree - this is definitely worth a visit.

32 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

Last week, we once again made Richmond our 1st stop on our way down to Florida.  On a recommendation from an eG member who lives there, we ate at Brenner Pass.  As I’ve already told her, everything we had was excellent.  I especially loved my pasta with a chicken liver mousse “sauce”, while my wife’s duck was similarly excellent.  Although I’m not particularly fond of the coldish industrial look & feel, the food more than made up for it.  So, I fully agree - this is definitely worth a visit.

[Which do people prefer: a separate Richmond thread in Intrepid Traveler (like this), or individual Restaurant Threads in Washington, DC? I'd be happy to make threads for each restaurant, and have a beefier Richmond Index in the Virginia Dining Guide - it would be simple to find all the restaurants using the Dining Guide.]

8 hours ago, DonRocks said:

[Which do people prefer: a separate Richmond thread in Intrepid Traveler (like this), or individual Restaurant Threads in Washington, DC? I'd be happy to make threads for each restaurant, and have a beefier Richmond Index in the Virginia Dining Guide - it would be simple to find all the restaurants using the Dining Guide.]

I kind of like it the way it is, because if I’m planning a trip to Richmond I prefer having access to an overview. Individual threads would make that slightly more difficult. But either way, I’ll be glad to have it. 😀

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimCo said:

I kind of like it the way it is, because if I’m planning a trip to Richmond I prefer having access to an overview. Individual threads would make that slightly more difficult. But either way, I’ll be glad to have it. 😀

I agree.

• Like 2