Any good eats near The Birchmere?

Pool Boy

Going to see Thomas Dolby and don't know what's around there. Obviously, they serve food at the Birchmere, but....

Well?

Taqueria Poblano, Bombay Curry Company, Del Merei Grill, and Los Tios spring to mind. All are down the street on Mt. Vernon Ave. And for dessert you can stop by the custard place (Dairy Godmother, or whatever it's called).

Enjoy.

Last time we were there we went to Del Ray for cheese and custard first, then just did appetizers/drinks at the show - that worked out well. The Birchmere has decent nachos and Shiner Bock on draft, which counts for a lot, and it's really not significantly more expensive than the TGIMcScratchy's of the world.

(eta: we'll be at Thomas Dolby too - could be good, could be bad, bound to be interesting one way or the other)

Last time we were there we went to Del Ray for cheese and custard first, then just did appetizers/drinks at the show - that worked out well.  The Birchmere has decent nachos and Shiner Bock on draft, which counts for a lot, and it's really not significantly more expensive than the TGIMcScratchy's of the world.

(eta: we'll be at Thomas Dolby too - could be good, could be bad, bound to be interesting one way or the other)

I've read good reports from shows earlier in the tour, so it should be good. Kind of short setlist though (maybe 10-12 songs).

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions!

I've read good reports from shows earlier in the tour, so it should be good. Kind of short setlist though (maybe 10-12 songs).

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions!

Walk across the street to RT's or down the street a bit to Nam Viet for Vietnamese.

Going to a show soon at the Birchmere - 7:30 show on a Sat nite.

Someone mentioned upthread about getting there early for decent seats - how does the seating work there? It's very hard to picture from the images on the website. I wouldn't really call this a concert - is the seating that critical?

We were thinking of doing an early dinner somewhere first - should we instead get appetizers at the show, and dine afterwards?

Someone mentioned upthread about getting there early for decent seats - how does the seating work there? It's very hard to picture from the images on the website. I wouldn't really call this a concert - is the seating that critical?

We were thinking of doing an early dinner somewhere first - should we instead get appetizers at the show, and dine afterwards?

The doors open at 5:00 (generally-check the website). Prior to that, a line will have formed outside the door. When the doors open, the line enters and collects their tickets at the will call window. Everyone must go to the will call window regardless of whether they have previously purchased the tickets. At the window, you will recieve a number. Then, you hang out and have a drink at the bar or whatever. At six o'clock (generally), they begin calling the numbers and seat accordingly. Then there is about an hour and a half prior to the beginning of the concert to eat, etc.

So, in order to get a preferred seat, you really need to be there off and on from about 4:30. This is why I always eat there. But, keep in mind, there are actually very few bad seats, so such an early arrival is not really necessary (I am just overly picky).

In the name of all that is good and holy....do not eat the food at the Birchmere. Smuggle in week old McDonald's leftovers if you must. The Birchmere's offerings are an insult to anyone that enjoys food. It's a limited menu where everything is mass produced a month or two in advance and kept under heat lamps. It's dry, flavourless, and overpriced swill. If you're not conerned about your seating, then eat somewhere else first.

On the bright side, they haven't managed to f*** up bottled beer (yet).

Everyone must go to the will call window regardless of whether they have previously purchased the tickets. At the window, you will recieve a number. Then, you hang out and have a drink at the bar or whatever. At six o'clock (generally), they begin calling the numbers and seat accordingly.

I've only been once, so this might have just been an aberration, but I think the seating system might depend on the relative popularity of the show. I came for an obscure act that barely filled half the seats, in which case someone at the front door checked the tickets and then you could sit anywhere you wanted. I got there late, too.

Food-wise, get dinner somewhere else (there are so many options down Mt. Vernon that it would be sick and twisted to list them all) and split a dessert at the Birchmere. Unless you're there to rock, in which case you should split a bottle of tequila with a stranger and bite the head off of something alive.