Kate's Irish Pub - Owner Michael Mooney on Backlick Road in Springfield - Closed Dec 29, 2013

This is not insignificant - Kate's has been open for seventeen years (current location for thirteen).

I think it's been its current location longer. It was there when I started working at the vet clinic that used to be next door to it in the fall of 1997.

I think it's been its current location longer. It was there when I started working at the vet clinic that used to be next door to it in the fall of 1997.

Scottee, I was just going from their website - it sounds like they just moved a few hundred feet: "Owner Michael Mooney opened the original Kate's (a family name carried by both his grandmother and his daughter) just a few blocks away in 1996, before moving to his current location in 2000."

Scottee, I was just going from their website - it sounds like they just moved a few hundred feet: "Owner Michael Mooney opened the original Kate's (a family name carried by both his grandmother and his daughter) just a few blocks away in 1996, before moving to his current location in 2000."

Is the same Michael Mooney who has ownership in the Murphy's Irish Pubs in DC and Alexandria?

Wow. A number of years back, this place was one of the few reasons I would venture to VA.

No, not because there weren't any pubs closer to home, but because for several years, it was the only place around that John Longbottom would play when he was in town.

I miss John. He was fun.

Kate's used to be down Backlick Road in the same plaza now occupied by Chick-fil-A and Le Bledo Dalat Vietnamese bakery. It was a nice live music venue, making it one of Springfield's few live music venues, along with JW's.

Across the street from the old location is Brookfield Plaza, now undergoing a facelift renovation that may bring in a few new food places.

I hear that the Mooney's are looking at places in Burke to reopen another Kate's....