Brunch at Dino's Grotto in the Grotto.   Oh baby...easily the tastiest nice spicy bloody I've had.   (of course I never drink them anymore) but I wish I could have substituted this for what must have been hundreds from the past.  That was special.

Had the San Benedetto with prosciutto on a ciabatta and the meatballs.  Absolutely delish.   Justine behind the bar was a delight.   Great brunch.

Weahve a new "bloody" inspired drink  coming as soon as fabian makes moreof the tomato shrub...Bloody Mary's Bastard with vodka, mezcal float and a crab ball garnish.  It willbe apart of the hangover brunch starting next week... 2 cocktails and a starter and main for $27

• Like 1

My son and I had a great dinner at Dino's last night while mom was out with her friends.  I made a reservation, but at 7pm on Tuesday, we were one of only 5 or so tables in the restaurant.  The staff couldn't have been nicer, promptly bringing a sippy cup with water and crayons for the boy and a glass of orange wine for dad.

My starter of grilled white peach and "Tuscan bacon" (lightly cured pork belly) topped with balsamic vinegar was good, and made excellent by a pinch of salt over each of the 3 morsels.  My half-portion of wild boar pasta was the perfect size to leave me pleasantly full, but not bursting at the seams.

The kid's menu is beyond fantastic, and for that reason, I forsee the staff at Dino getting to know my son quite well.  He had roasted vegetables in tomato sauce, simply (but perfectly) grilled fish, and roasted potatoes.  The portions were extremely generous, but Elliott made a valiant effort to get through everything.  I love restaurants like Dino (and Boundary Road) that put real food out for kids.

We finished up with the almond torte with cinnamon gelato...I'm not so much a dessert person, but no meal with a toddler can finish without cries for "cake."  The tort was fine, the gelato better.

• Like 2

The boyfriend and I had a really really good and satisfying dinner here last night. We walked in a little past 8pm without a reservation and were seated promptly. We started with the Spicy Forte Salad with spicy greens, percorino, and balsamic vinaigrette. Although simple, the salad was delicious and the boyfriend and I couldn't stop putting forkfuls of the salad into our mouths. The salad was perfectly dressed and as a result the balance between the peppery greens and the sharpness of the cheese was perfect. Our second appetizer was a taste of the three house made pates. Next to the salad, the pates were a bit bland. It could also be that I like my pates a little more aggressively seasoned. For entrees, my boyfriend ordered the free form lasagnette while I had the duck breast. We enjoyed both very much. The duck was perfectly cooked and flavorful. The lasagnette was straight comfort and deliciousness. We kept eating long after proclaiming how full we were. Between the food and wine (both delicious and decently priced) and the friendly service, I think we are going to put Dino's Grotto into the rotation. 

Thanks to everyone at Dino's for helping make a reunion of old grad school friends last night a big success. From not making a big deal about a straggler to letting us linger and chat over dessert, to providing great service (my friends noticed how much thought our waiter put into our wine pairing) and a really enjoyable meal overall, we really appreciated it. And even though evenings like this are much more about the company than the meal, everyone commented really positively on the food afterwards.

• Like 1

A note to folks with kids: Dino's brunch is perfect.  Mom and Dad can head in the breakfast or lunch direction, and so can the wee one.

As our son has gotten older (he's turning 2 this month), we've gotten bolder with our Sunday brunch choices.  While we've had great meals at a number of places of varying levels of "sophistication" (for lack of better word), Dino's certainly makes it the easiest, with an amazingly large array of modestly priced choices for kids.  (Today Elliott decided on roast vegetables and a cheddar and mortadella panini.)

(For other parents reading this, we've had good times at Estadio, Ghibellina, Hank's, Belga Cafe, Brookland's Finest, and of course, our neighborhood stalwart, Boundary Road. At most of these places, even if there isn't a specific kid's menu, you can cobble together a good meal with sides/bites from mom and dad.)

• Like 2

Dino may be at a new location but I can tell you that they have not lost anything at all and maybe even improved.  Went with my daughter after a Nationals game yesterday.  Sunday night about 6:30 only a few tables were being used so it was nice and quiet.  I can now recommend the rabbit!!! I even got my daughter to taste and she admitted it was good but wouldn't eat any more "Bugs Bunny" - lol.  I think the homemade pastas are some of the best if not the best around.  Way too full for dessert.

+1 on the Insalata Forte. Refreshing and light but still full of flavor. I could eat that salad once a week and never get sick of it. On that note, does anyone know a local store or farmers market where one could procure Path Valley Farms products?

Everything else ranged from 'fine' to 'very good' last night. Wine Madness is also a great deal. I see myself spending many Sunday and Monday nights here in the future.

My wife and I broke fast on Saturday night at Dino's.  It was spontaneous as we walked around the mall and at 5pm were starved and dint want to drive back to the burbs without food.  Called Dinos and drove there quickly for their take on a Jewish Breakfast meal.  We had the veggie option with Salmon though somehow one of our appetizers was chopped liver and we didnt complain.  The food was great and i'll have to come back to the Grotto soon with my son who live nearby.

My wife and I broke fast on Saturday night at Dino's. It was spontaneous as we walked around the mall and at 5pm were starved and dint want to drive back to the burbs without food. Called Dinos and drove there quickly for their take on a Jewish Breakfast meal. We had the veggie option with Salmon though somehow one of our appetizers was chopped liver and we didnt complain. The food was great and i'll have to come back to the Grotto soon with my son who live nearby.

I need to find a Salvadoran who keeps kosher to expo for the Jewish Holidays. I think you had gulf snapper rather than salmon.

With the weather making a turn toward Autumn, those wines can be enjoyed with a heaping bowl of 4 cheese polenta topped with sausage and tomato sauce. Quite tasty indeed.

Also topping our polenta is, starting Saturday night, "Beer"poso which is brisket with loads of peppercorns & garlic, a spin on the Tuscan classic Peposo {cooked in DC Brau's Natas Imperial Belgian Porter}. Since the beer was a one off limited edition and we have one of the last 3 kegs, it will be a limited dish.

Penn Quarter Porter gelato float will be on our dessert menu as well.

The end of tomato season so I recommend the tomato & saffron risotto, heirloom tomato salad.  Duck cannelloni, duck breast and brisket which may be our peposo braised in Natas Belgian Imperial Porter by tonight.  If tonight, we will still probably have chopped chicken liver.  And the testa is one of my favorites.  

In laws treated Matt and I to a great pre-India meal here.  (My Mom was laughing that they were taking us to a last rite dinner.)  I have to say, I wish Shaw was more convenient to our house, but it is a pretty hefty metro ride, and I am not sure what the parking situation would be if we drove.  The CP location was pretty convenient to Arlington.  But the only reason that is even a problem is because the food is just so darn good.  We had: deviled eggs, which I really liked with crispy proscuitto and anchovy sauce; meatballs which are just so soft and tender without losing their shape, just amazing; crab balls which were spicy but so good; olives which were good and a really good heirloom tomato salad that was a nice balance with all the other things.  For my main meal I had the clam pasta, which was just the perfect classic clam pasta that I was envisioning in my mind when I ordered it.  My Mother in law had the fettucine which again so simple, but she was going on and on about it so I stole a taste and it was good.  I got the almond torte for dessert, it was the only thing that was ok, but just not great like everything else, but it wasn't bad.  We also had great wine.  I forget what we ordered exactly, but it was just really good.  Is it possible that the food has improved at this location?  I feel like it has, that it really has, and I love Dino in CP.  

• Like 2

Having a crazed need for the spiciest, tastiest cocktail I've recently tried I last minute zipped over to Dino's Grotto for a drink one virtually never tastes other than at brunch and hotel functions:   The Bloody Mary.

Dino's is simply out of this world-->

On top of that the beet antipasto with yogurt was scrumptious and the shrimp pasta dish was terrific.  In fact coffee at meals close was fresh and significantly better than at most places.   Conversation at the bar was fun.  All around an A dinner.

Thanks

The Clams & Shrimp are from A & H or Pesca Deli, depending on if you buy wholesale or retail.  We love their stuff and are getting in more all the time.

Heirlooms will run out very shortly, but we have lots of local tomato sauce frozen for bloody's and sauces over the colder months.  Crab should be good thru Thanksgiving, then it runs out as they stop picking.  We won't have crab again 'til next year's season.  Beets are in good supply from PA thru Smucker's Farms and from Spring Valley in WV.

The coffee is Qualia.  Joel picks out a variety for us each delivery.

• Like 1

I'm All About That Duck

Dinner with the Duck: 10 Tastes of Duck in 6 Duckling Sized Nibbles

But First, A Little Musical Interlude

All About that Duck

Because you know

I'm all about that duck

'Bout that duck, no wabbit

I'm all about that duck

I'm all about that duck

I'm all about that duck

'Bout that duck

Start off with Silly Stuff: duck spring rolls, duck cracklings and duck kisses.  Don't go crackers if you miss this course.  

Yeah, it's pretty clear, I ain't no pate

But I can bake it, bake it

Wrapped in fatback so good

'Cause I got that fat fat that all the boys chase

And all the right duck in all the right courses

Charcuterie: duck neck, duck fegatini & house pastrami cured duck breast

I see the restaurants workin' SousVide...bleak

We know that shit ain't real

C'mon now, so damn weak

If you got duck, duck, just raise 'em up

'Cause every inch of you is perfect

From the webfeet to the beak

Zuppa: duck schmaltz matzo ball soup w/barley & mushroom

Yeah, my mama she told me don't worry about duck fat

She says, "Boys like a little more flavor to coat the tongue."

You know I won't be no elmer fudd hunting wabbit now 

So if that's what you're into then be very qwiet, move along

Pasta: duck bolognese

Because you know

I'm all about that duck

I'm all about that duck

I'm all about that duck

I'm all about that duck

'Bout that duck

Hey!

Second Plate: duck spiedini {skewer}

I'm bringing duck fat back

Go ahead and tell them skinny chickens that

No, I'm just playing. I know you think ducks are fat

But I'm here to tell ya

Every inch of them is perfect from the waddle to the top

Dolce: duck fat cookie w/gelato

Yeah, my mama she told me don't worry about duck fat

She says, "Boys like a little more flavor to coat the tongue."

You know I won't be no elmer fudd hunting wabbit now 

So if that's what you're into then go ahead and move along

Drink: wine, beer or cocktail flights, or order ala carte

Because you know

I'm all about that duck

I'm all about that duck

I'm all about that duck

I'm all about that duck

'Bout that duck

Hey!

Hey! If you want to come, and ducky, you do, click here for details & tickets

Menu, Info & Tickets

Frank Cornelisson wine dinner December 12, 2014.  Mr Cornelisson owns old vines sites on Mt Etna in Sicily.

There is no more iconoclastic or polarizing winemaker than Mr Cornelisson.  I htink it safe to say that his wines are made with no chemical intervention of any kind and only physical manipulation in the vineyards or winemaking.  Some find his wines bizarre beyond belief, I find them wonderful beyond belief.  There is simply no frame of reference for them.

He will be at Dino and we are having a wine dinner in the early part of the evening featuring 8 wines and a 6 course tasting menu for $145.  Later on, we will have a supper featuring 5 wines and 3 courses for $99.  Very limited seating.  Reservation by ticket only

Details Menu and Ticketing

How difficult is it to snag a couple seats at the bar on a weekday night bteween 6 and 8pm?  I know you can never tell for certain.  I am just looking for a high probability versus low probability read.

...and I've had success each time I've done that....and each of the different bartenders has been a treat to boot.

We had a great meal last Friday. I loved my MD crab pasta with the (optional for $20) white truffles shaved by Dean himself but all the food was top notch.  Excellent service by MeMe (sp). I think the Grotto is serving some of the best food in the city right now. $7.50 pp corkage but the list is excellent.

Feast of the 7 Fish 

Trio of Seafood Starters: Crostini of Pacific Cod w/anchovy & Salt Pollock w/ spicy tomato & parsley, Salmon in Salsa Verde

Grilled Cuttlefish & Octopus

Wedding Soup of the Sea

Pasta w/Clams & Linguine

Shrimp alla Scampi or Swordfish w/ Oregano, lemon & breadcrumb sauce

Dessert

$49 tonight thru Tuesday

$59 Christmas Eve

And if you're not in a fishy mood, we have black & white truffles

Special Orange/Natural Wine Flight featuring Cornelissen Susucuru & Contadino

post-297-0-66109100-1419172339_thumb.jpg

post-297-0-95380200-1419172356_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

As long as we can get white truffles.... We should have enough for tomorrow night and hopefully Sunday as well.  Depends on how many take advantage.

Truffle Tasting Menu

$99 for 2

Duck & Celery with white truffle

Duck Neck w/black truffle

Fettuccine with white truffle

Lamb with black truffle & red wine sauce

2 cheeses w/black & white truffle

This is near the end of what has been a superb truffle year for whites.  Whites are from Italy with a real heady funk aroma that only truffles have. Blacks are from Perigord and this year, the black truffles are winey. sweet & funky smelling with a pronounced flavor.  They are unusually good this year.  We do not use artificial truffle oil ever... so you will not get the strong, punchy but artificial flavors of that vile stuff.  Just the pure flavor and aroma of truffle. 

And you can always have us shave truffles on your dish.  We indicate on the menu whether a dish is best with white or black or either truffle. 

Too bad I can't post the aroma!

• Like 1

Went on Christmas Eve for the feast of the seven fishes option. It was all quite good. First time to the grotto, great to see Dean again. He talked us in to some interesting wine pairing that, while not amazing, worked well with the dishes. Enjoyed the experience, will be back.

My only nit on the Grotto is that, when we went it was quite full, and the room was loud. A little hard to carry on a conversation.

Dean was on with Kojo today (actually Kojo was out so with Marc Fisher) talking about DC neighborhoods, their impact on restaurants and vice versa. He was on a panel with Khalid PItts (Cork), Andy Shallal (Busboys & Poets) and Jessica Sidman (City Paper).

Dean, your voice sounded like you're a bit under the weather.  Hope not or, if you are, get well soon.  Chicken soup?

Dean was on with Kojo today (actually Kojo was out so with Marc Fisher) talking about DC neighborhoods, their impact on restaurants and vice versa. He was on a panel with Khalid PItts (Cork), Andy Shallal (Busboys & Poets) and Jessica Sidman (City Paper).

Dean, your voice sounded like you're a bit under the weather.  Hope not or, if you are, get well soon.  Chicken soup?

Bad back. Didn't know it showed over the radio.  And the soup was pork with snow cabbage.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Brunch at Dino's Grotto in the Grotto.   Oh baby...easily the tastiest nice spicy bloody I've had.   (of course I never drink them anymore) but I wish I could have substituted this for what must have been hundreds from the past.  That was special.

Went for brunch myself with friends recently. I liked the spice level of the bloody mary, but I found them oddly deficient on the tomato-y flavor. Will try again in the future to see if my palate was just off, but based on the one experience, I'm just ok with them.

That said, the roasted artichokes were quite tasty, but the Tuscan hash with poached eggs was really, really good.  I'll be back for brunch (and dinner!).

• Like 1

The Tuscan Hash is the byproduct of having bollito misto on the menu.... we are going to bring the Bollito back and ten the hash will remain on brunch.  This week we have our corned beef hash: 10 day brined local shenandoah beef coop brisket, potatoes & onion.

As far as the bloody, we use our own fresh tomato essence to make the mix.  If its not stirred properly, or if the glass is iced too long before using, it can settle or get diluted.  I'd hate to think thats what happened.  I'll fire the idiot that made the bloodies last Sunday**.

**Well I'd like to fire him, but he's me

• Like 2

Went for brunch myself with friends recently. I liked the spice level of the bloody mary, but I found them oddly deficient on the tomato-y flavor. Will try again in the future to see if my palate was just off, but based on the one experience, I'm just ok with them.

That said, the roasted artichokes were quite tasty, but the Tuscan hash with poached eggs was really, really good.  I'll be back for brunch (and dinner!).

Could it be that the tomato shrub is thinner than commercial tomato juices or most other tomato juice mixes?  I'm wowwed by its spiciness but I'd acknowledge the tomato"ness" is thinner than traditional bloody's.

But I'll put it this way, over all.  I really don't have a hankering for a bloody mary anymore...except at Dino's.

We went for the first time today - had a little trouble figuring out the doors, and did not realize there were 2 doors, one up, one down. But upstairs was nice, even though we tend to be more bar people. The server was pleasant, the hostess was working hard, and despite being surrounded by large parties, logistically all went well. We said introduced ourselves to Dean while he was out and around in the dining room. So he can't say "say hi next time!" because we did.

Drinks were good - I'm SO glad that champagne cocktails seem to be making a comeback. I love them. So I had "Matteo is Thankful" (luxardo amaro abano, local cranberry syrup jerry thomas bitters, prosecco), while the husband had "The Ric Flair (old overholt rye, averna, luxardo sangue morlacco dolin rouge, jerry thomas and orange bitters) Good cocktails.

Then I ate the benedict and he ate the risotto. Both good. But I should have sliced the second egg open right away. I always forget to do that, and my second egg always goes a bit past perfect from residual heat. The first one was perfect though! And he liked the risotto.

Dessert were good, although I wish we had had enough time to sit to let them warm a bit. (Crema di Cioccolato and Cappucino di Nutella).

We will have to go back, maybe for a happy hour, so that we can try a few more of the drinks. (Although I really will have a hard time resisting getting the same one again.)

• Like 1

Anti Restaurant Week.... thru February 5

5 course tasting menu for $35

menu here 

Choice of $15 wine flights:

"Those crazy Sicilians"

Tami frappato

Calabretta gaio gaio

Cornelissen contadino

"Tuscan"

sanguinetti 'nessun dorma' sangiovese, merlot, syrah

becconcini "maurleo" sangiovese malavasia blend

san polo rubio

Tap: Champion Killer Kolsch $4

Cocktails: $8

The Hit Man {rye manhattan w/averna}

Fuego Verde {chile infused tequila, house falernum fresh lime, agave syrup}

Wine Madness; Wines $50+ are 33 % off

• Like 1

Dean:  Please clarify:  On Sunday and Mondays are the mussels and burger $10 only til 7, or til closing?  Thanks

The Anti Restaurant Week menu continue thru February 12.  Yet another NSFW link.

Plus wine madness every day thru thursday.  Wines $50+ are 33% off.

And for burger lovers, the burger is $10 as are mussel pots every sunday and Monday as a bonus of our Happy Hour all day in the Grotto Bar only.

Went to Dino's Grotto tonight and had an incredible time. We had the "Fuck Restaurant Week" special and it was truly a steal. $35 for 5 courses - every course was well conceived and absolutely delicious. Dean opens with a chickpea/tomato soup - it was so tasty that several folks in our party ordered extra servings. The boar stew was also a highlight. We had some first timers who all agreed they would return to Dino in the immediate future.

Just a note to Dean. Someone in,our party loved the whole grain bread (complementary at the beginning of the meal) so much that they purchased a whole loaf to go. I would urge Dean to consider offering this on a regular basis. I would gladly pay an extra $10 at the end of each meal to take a wheat loaf home.

In case you couldn't tell - we love Dino!

• Like 1