Dean made a difference in the DC dining scene.  Will try hard to get done there one last time.

• Like 1

Wow going to Dino's in Cleveland Park seemed like a different life time ago. A great host and restaurant!

It's beginning to look like Shaw is the 100 King St. of restaurants. 😲

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2019 at 7:56 PM, dracisk said:

I've been meaning to post that we were there Sunday -- my husband, me, and my 5-year-old daughter sitting at the bar around 6:30pm. Dean, you passed through a couple times but we didn't flag you down. Next time we will. We'll be back at least a couple of times before you close. Very sad to see you go!

The soft shells were amazing (@Genevieve, I think you're the soft shell lover, so please take note)!! My husband loved the fra diavolo, and my daughter enjoyed her spaghetti and meatballs and the $10 mussel pot we split. I so appreciate the quality kid's menu, not to mention the generous wine pours!

I saw you three at the bar.  The Softshells this year are pretty amazing and so far they are keeping in fairly good supply {literally only 2 times when I have tried to order have hey been out of stock}  While most folk think of them as a spring item, crab molt 6 or 7 times a season.  So far this year, no signs of lethargy or leathery skins in the softies {for me, much more lethargy}

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deangold said:

I saw you three at the bar.  The Softshells this year are pretty amazing and so far they are keeping in fairly good supply {literally only 2 times when I have tried to order have hey been out of stock}  While most folk think of them as a spring item, crab molt 6 or 7 times a season.  So far this year, no signs of lethargy or leathery skins in the softies {for me, much more lethargy}

We’ll likely be back this Sunday with my visiting mom in tow!

2 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Mmmmm soft-shells :)

I'll be in with my wife for a date night tonight and am already looking forward to some tasty softshells (and wine, always wine).

On 7/3/2019 at 10:12 AM, Kanishka said:

the three monsters 

It's always been my experience that we rarely have to worry about the kids. The dads, on the other hand...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deangold said:

It's always been my experience that we rarely have to worry about the kids. The dads, on the other hand...

Dean, I told you to stop calling me out in public settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanielK said:

Dean, I told you to stop calling me out in public settings.

Dude, when you first came in with the kids, you could out eat both of them!  I remember the first time Zach polished off half of your entree.  Wee I think I remember.  In an y case,it is an official Dino memory whether it happened or not.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deangold said:

Dude, when you first came in with the kids, you could out eat both of them!  I remember the first time Zach polished off half of your entree.  Wee I think I remember.  In an y case,it is an official Dino memory whether it happened or not.  

Didn't you have a "pay $1/year" for a family-style meal at one point for kids? I think Zack put a hurt on you once for that.

8 minutes ago, DanielK said:

Didn't you have a "pay $1/year" for a family-style meal at one point for kids? I think Zack put a hurt on you once for that.

We change the rule to $1 a year except for Zach.  He starred in our newsletter. Or his appetite did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deangold said:

We change the rule to $1 a year except for Zach.  He starred in our newsletter. Or his appetite did.

It's the name.  I know mine did a world of damage as a 3 year old.  

Dean: if you’re reading along, you should know that there’s a SlowEurope thread about your impending closure.  That’s how far reaching your places have been.  Ginny & I wish you the best and hope that your withdrawal from restaurant ownership allows for more travel, opera and relaxation.  We’ll miss dropping by every couple of years.

• Like 5

We had a beautiful dinner last night at Dino, starting off with the caprese salad and the grilled nectarines and then moving on to the softshells (for me), wagyu steak (for her) and three variations of the kids pasta dishes for the three, um, kids.  Due to a small and excusable kitchen error, we were comped a plate of delicious deviled eggs, though I never did learn the spice blend that went in them.  Our sons devoured their pasta, particularly the eldest who had pappardelle with ragu. My softshell crabs were big and juicy and the greens they were served with provided a welcome bit of tang and texture.  M didn't share her steak!  That says something.  We closed out with three gelatos, a cheese plate for me, and a chocolate desert for M that was *almost* so light on the sugar that I liked it.  Almost.

The best parts of the evening were talking to Dean, inevitably about the challenges for DC restaurant owners, and reminiscing with hostess Heidi about our mutual long relationships with Dino in its two iterations.  Apologies for the other two diners we shared the otherwise empty dining room with, who moved to the far end to avoid the insistent chattering and singing of our youngest.

Thank you, Dean.

• Like 3

I sure wish Dino's was open for lunch. 🙁 Off at 2 today and need to wait until 6 for my ride home...would've been a perfect opportunity to stop in!

11 hours ago, squidsdc said:

I sure wish Dino's was open for lunch. 🙁 Off at 2 today and need to wait until 6 for my ride home...would've been a perfect opportunity to stop in!

You need to make excuses for what is important.

Dc Crü will be there to represent......imminently

• Like 1

Not sure if it will be our last visit but we certainly worked our way through a good part of the menu. Old favorites, deviled eggs, a terrific charcuterie platter for only $10 as it was HH, wild boar pasta, duck lasagna, crab pasta, various veggies and more with plenty of corkage free wine. We will miss our clubhouse!

We were there on the 29th drinking loads of great wine and eating as much of the menu as we could. Not looking forward to the day coming soon when I will not know where to pre-concert dine and drink before going to the 930, the Howard of the Lincoln. Boo.

• Like 1

Two events coming up: 

It's Not Restaurant Week but Better! $35 tasting menu 8/11 thru 8/18

One last quack" Dinner with the Duck 8/25 $65 or 7 course tasting menu

DinosGrotto.com for info.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, deangold said:

Two events coming up: 

It's Not Restaurant Week but Better! $35 tasting menu 8/11 thru 8/18

One last quack" Dinner with the Duck 8/25 $65 or 7 course tasting menu

DinosGrotto.com for info.

Can you still get soft shells or is it restricted to the “not restaurant week” menu?  Not a big deal one way or the other but figured I’d check as I’ll likely be in again over the next two weeks. 

9 hours ago, Rovers2000 said:

Can you still get soft shells or is it restricted to the “not restaurant week” menu?  Not a big deal one way or the other but figured I’d check as I’ll likely be in again over the next two weeks. 

We are serving our regular menu and the tasting menu. Right now the softies we have been getting are fatter and juicer than earlier int he season.  In fact, the best softies are yet to come as the crabs fatten up for winter.  I, on the other hand, don't have any excuse for fattening up!

• Like 1