xdcx

Is It Possible To Take Food Too Seriously?

Must be an original recipe and include 1 cup of Hellmann's Mayonnaise
Recipe must be an entrée
Recipes submitted by professional chefs, cooks in training or culinary professionals of any kind are not eligible

I could win this contest.

One lobe foie gras, seared.
One cup Hellmann's served on the side in a sealed, opaque Tupperware container, with a small porcelain bowl resting on top of it containing coarse sea salt.  Season to taste.

But with the "Taste of the World" theme I suspect that the winner will be something along the lines of...

chicken tenders threaded on bamboo skewers and slathered with a mixture of:

the 1 cup mayo
1 can of crushed pineapple, drained
3/4 cup ketchup
1/8 of a chipotle pepper (can be omitted or the amount reduced, if too spicy)
1/4 teaspoon of McCormick's (or other supermarket brand) curry powder

Cooked on a hibachi (or under a broiler, if one wants to feel international when it is raining outside).

huh.giflaugh.gif BFA, for sure.

Cooked on a hibachi (or under a broiler, if one wants to feel international when it is raining outside).

Remember: A broiler is just an upside-down grill!

What a mere 1 cup of mayo can get you...  click.    biggrin.gif

I had some yummy potato chips that I dipped in mayo last night at Town Hall (I will write on that the end of this week...) would that count, I really could dip anything in mayo....

Call me bitter, but I got carryout sushi tonight and was saving my uni for the final two pieces. It turns out it wasn't fresh, and so this wretched taste will still be with me through the end of August. Say what you want about putiedam, but bad uni gets my vote as the worst food in the world - I'm going to put the second piece out as ant bait.

Call me bitter, but I got carryout sushi tonight and was saving my uni for the final two pieces. It turns out it wasn't fresh, and so this wretched taste will still be with me through the end of August. Say what you want about putiedam, but bad uni gets my vote as the worst food in the world - I'm going to put the second piece out as ant bait.

Rocks, please tell my why any sane person would purchase carryout uni on a Sunday night in July? I shiver just thinking about it.

Rocks, please tell my why any sane person would purchase carryout uni on a Sunday night in July? I shiver just thinking about it.

Mark, please tell me why you are putting Rocks and sanity in the same sentence? I shiver just thinking about it. laugh.gif

If the worst food in the world is bad uni, then the second worst would have to be good uni. tongue.gif

Uni, at least the stuff our of the wooden boxes or plastic trays, is a preserved product. I am not sure that day of the week plays into freshness. Uni out of the shell is another story altogether, but then the day of most worry is probabably Monday night.

As to sanity and Rocks... he is a model of sanity as from where I stand..... rolleyes.gif

It is possible. I started a trip to Watkins Glen, New York by driving 40 minutes in exactly the wrong direction just for a Lickity Split lunch at Eve, then started the homeward trip by driving 20 minutes in exactly the wrong direction for bruch at my favorite Finger Lakes joint. :)

Yes and no. I believe that as soon as you hurt the feelings or alienate someone you care about because of food or an inability to compromise, you've crossed a line. Most of you take human beings more seriously than food, though.

thats because food usually equals socialabilty. That is how I equate dinner, not as stuffing my stomach but more along the lines of the company that comes with stuffing my stomcah.

thats because food usually equals socialabilty. That is how I equate dinner, not as stuffing my stomach but more along the lines of the company that comes with stuffing my stomcah.

I second that emotion. Restaurant Week for me is actually a wonderful opportunity for me to connect with friends that I haven't seen in a while or haven't made the time to re-connect with. The food is totally secondary. It's just a matter of multi-tasking.

However, a dinner at Komi or CityZen or Vidalia on a Saturday evening is absolutely about gastronomic epiphanies. No doubt about it.

For the next two hours I was in a state of euphoria. Afterwards, I was exhausted, content, uplifted beyond my wildest dreams, and everything seemed right with the world. Then the lights went on.

I don't get it. Is this a guy thing? huh.gif

Here's the real question:

Is it possible to take food too seriously and not be an overly pretentious, obessive nerd :) ?

Is it possible to take food too seriously and not be an overly pretentious, obessive nerd laugh.gif ?

Yes. smile.gif It's a fine line, but I know several people who manage to walk it.

There's a review of Barbara Holland's excellent-sounding The Joy of Drinking in the coming New York Times Book Review available online here (subscription required). An excerpt:

As much as Holland enjoys romping down London's Gin Lane and through America's Jazz Age and Prohibition, she can't abide our current era of moderation. Hip urbanites, she writes, "turned drinking in moderation into a high-class avocation." Wine tours caught on and microbreweries arrived. The devotees "aren't drinkers. They're connoisseurs and critics, priests of ritual, sniffers and tasters, discerning scholars scowling thoughtfully into their glass. Fun has nothing to do with it. ... In the metropolitan haunts of the highly sophisticated, the cocktail is no longer an instrument of friendship but a competitive fashion statement, or one-upmanship."

Honestly. I like fine booze and food as much as the next, uh, privileged nerd, but if one more person calls me a heathen for putting ice in my whisky or a maraschino cherry in my manhattan, I may just consider becoming a teetotaller. (But just consider because I mean, yeah right).

I was at Restaurant 3 last night with a couple of friends and sampling a few plates at the bar. There was a gentleman who stood next to us and practically buried his nose in each plate as they were set in front of us. He then proceeded to ask us questions about each dish and offer commentary on our food as we ate it. This guy was either incredibly curious (to the point of being a nuisance) or just took his food too seriously. Dude, just order something. If you don't like it, don't order it again!

I was at Restaurant 3 last night with a couple of friends and sampling a few plates at the bar. There was a gentleman who stood next to us and practically buried his nose in each plate as they were set in front of us. He then proceeded to ask us questions about each dish and offer commentary on our food as we ate it. This guy was either incredibly curious (to the point of being a nuisance) or just took his food too seriously. Dude, just order something. If you don't like it, don't order it again!

Was this man in your party? If not, I would tell the dude to get lost and get a life. Even if he was part of my group, I would tell him to get his nose out of my food. What is wrong with some people?

Not with our party at all. I wanted to say something to him (I normally enjoy a good confrontation), but ignoring him got him to leave after a few minutes. It was strange, though. It felt like I was chewing my food on stage!

blink.gif

Hey, if you're making a recipe that requires a particular ingredient, you do what you can to get the ingredient.